• You cannot reply to this topic

Oklahoma D Day 09 Small group from Iowa Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   jeepinjason51 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:jeepinjason51

Posted 28 October 2008 - 07:08 PM

A small group of us are looking at going down to D Day next year. Not looking to join any specific side or division at this time. We're just concentrating on getting all the questions and numbers figured out. Might be taking a camper and my jeep to give us something to run around with. We would be willing to link up and convoy out with anyone else looking at going. Any here been there before? Got a few small questions.
SP-1 P'Owner #21

#2 User is offline   Marauder_Pilot 

• Thrilling Heroics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Marauder_Pilot

Posted 28 October 2008 - 07:17 PM

Bringing a Jeep is a good idea, when it's not a paintball field it's an off-road park as well. And at the very least, the staff has a few Jeeps they use as runabouts-they've got a HUGE built CJ-7 on-site the refs were using (It looked like it had at least 42"s). Not to mention that, if the field gets splash damage by some of the storms again, a Jeep's about the only thing that'll make it down the roads. :P

#3 User is offline   DEVILS REJECT 

• Devils Reject
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:DEVILS REJECT

Posted 28 October 2008 - 08:03 PM

I went with a previous team in 2007, i remember one of the most crazy moments was when the dash of the bus erupted into an electrical fire! another buddy was on a different bus when it was climbing a hill behind the Mogue Mile (not sure if i spelled it right?) and heading back to the campgrounds when it had to stop to let another vehicle pass the brakes began to fail and they rolled backwards down the hill!
Of course dont let this deter you from going. the field is excellent, the experience and commradery is unforgettable, the ceremony and parade are a great team experience, and as far as the buses im sure they had the problems fixed as soon as possible. Besides, just doing the Mile is sometimes enough.
Any questions you got this is the best forum to ask, so many of us here are dday veterans so no question will go unanswered. I think i even still have the topographical maps...
I plan to make every effort to go, in 2007 i attended with Ghost Recon, in 2009 it is my hope to get my buddies and myself from Crazy Good Tactical Paintball to attend. it doesnt matter which side you play on really, as many will probably tell you, its merely the fact that you came.
http://www.ddayadventurepark.com/

Oh, and dont try to find the field in the dark....

This post has been edited by DEVILS REJECT: 28 October 2008 - 08:06 PM

Devils Reject aka Original Ghost Sniper aka Hologram Man aka Where the HECK Did That Come From? aka Two Ball Ghost Killer aka The Legend aka Dr. Satan aka Eoghan the Great aka Mr. Nine Faces. CRAZY GOOD TACTICAL PAINTBALL TEAM

#4 User is offline   jmsiona 

• my milkshake
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:JMSIONA

Posted 28 October 2008 - 08:06 PM

2ndCoat is going.. were from Iowa, as you know lol

#5 User is offline   jeepinjason51 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 28 October 2008 - 08:41 PM

View PostMarauder_Pilot, on Oct 28 2008, 09:17 PM, said:

Bringing a Jeep is a good idea, when it's not a paintball field it's an off-road park as well. And at the very least, the staff has a few Jeeps they use as runabouts-they've got a HUGE built CJ-7 on-site the refs were using (It looked like it had at least 42"s). Not to mention that, if the field gets splash damage by some of the storms again, a Jeep's about the only thing that'll make it down the roads. :panzer:

I've seen their off road park, not sure the JK is up for it.........yet, lol. Would make for a good week though, off roading is my other hobby. I'm vice president of the jeep outdoor club of central iowa and vice president of the iowa association of 4 wheel drive clubs. What makes for the best experience, camping or hotel? Theres a slim chance that we might have a camper by then but I'm not going to plan on it. I'd like to camp but not for a full week in early summer humidity. Also, do they allow alcohol? I havnt seen anything against it.

jmsiona- you and your guys are from around the metro right?
SP-1 P'Owner #21

#6 User is offline   Ghost Recons Punisher 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 29 October 2008 - 05:05 AM

GR will be making their 4th year trip with the BB who has gone from day one-12 years. Warning though is we are isolated in camp as we seem to be labeled as excessive partiers.

We will leave with carpools throughout the week from KC and last year we took 120 players. Our goal is 200 this year as we have already broken last years numbers:)

The team forum is a more thorough place for info on the even, camping, and both sides as we are playing Utah beach this year and we played Airborne previous-ask away as hardly anyone monitors this forum anymore :dodgy:

And the buses are truly a memory lol.....that boy bent the steering column-so we will walk form now on

www.ghostrecon.myfastforum.org
Punisher
Proud CO Ghost Recon
www.ghostrecon.myfastforum.org
GR Productions
Drop Zone Paintball www.dzes.org

#7 User is offline   jmsiona 

• my milkshake
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:JMSIONA

Posted 29 October 2008 - 06:22 AM

yea we are all from around the metro

#8 User is offline   Chekotai86 

• Shadows of War Scenario Paintball Productions Founder
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:CHEKOTAI

Posted 29 October 2008 - 03:40 PM

View Postjeepinjason51, on Oct 28 2008, 10:41 PM, said:

View PostMarauder_Pilot, on Oct 28 2008, 09:17 PM, said:

Bringing a Jeep is a good idea, when it's not a paintball field it's an off-road park as well. And at the very least, the staff has a few Jeeps they use as runabouts-they've got a HUGE built CJ-7 on-site the refs were using (It looked like it had at least 42"s). Not to mention that, if the field gets splash damage by some of the storms again, a Jeep's about the only thing that'll make it down the roads. :laugh:

I've seen their off road park, not sure the JK is up for it.........yet, lol. Would make for a good week though, off roading is my other hobby. I'm vice president of the jeep outdoor club of central iowa and vice president of the iowa association of 4 wheel drive clubs. What makes for the best experience, camping or hotel? Theres a slim chance that we might have a camper by then but I'm not going to plan on it. I'd like to camp but not for a full week in early summer humidity. Also, do they allow alcohol? I havnt seen anything against it.

jmsiona- you and your guys are from around the metro right?

Camping is definitely better (imho) than staying at a hotel. You get the experience of hanging out with all your guys and getting to know them all throughout the entire week. Staying at a hotel might mean you end up missing out on some of the more enjoyable experiences that occur during the evenings at the event.

Officially... it is a family event so yes and no on alcohol. Yes, you may have it, enjoy it, and so forth, but you may not go running around like a drunken idiot all throughout the campsite. Do it in moderation, and do not at like a moron when you partake and it is acceptable. Of course, and this should go without saying, there should not be any underage drinking at the event.
And Shepherds we shall be. For Thee, my Lord for Thee, Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filli, et Spiritu Sancti.

Shadows of War Paintball Scenario Productions

#9 User is offline   sgt.crazy shooter 

• 2nd coat
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:sgt. elf

Posted 29 October 2008 - 04:18 PM

i might depends on stuff

#10 User is offline   jeepinjason51 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 29 October 2008 - 06:29 PM

Me and my guys are pretty laid back, we like our alcohol, but we know when to stop. Whats the RV area like? I'm looking around getting quotes on rental trailers and RV's. If we're lucky my number 2 in commands family will have their own by that time. When do people start showing up? Things like this I like to be one of the first ones there.
SP-1 P'Owner #21

#11 User is offline   RedBarron12 

• RedBarron12
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:RedBarron12

Posted 29 October 2008 - 06:29 PM

If you go take a jeep... a recommend hotel just because it rained twice this year and a jeep is reccomended becuase the roads are just mud around the camp. If you camp the German 726th has an awsome camp site and they party. um... what else... the water there for bathroom use and showers are pretty much straight sulfur. if you didn't want to take a jeep take an atv.

this year we are taking an atv and a trailer but we are staying in a hotel. i like camping just not when its that humid and hot. paint runs around $60 give or take and i think entry is $70 + $5 fee for just entering the park. the only bad thing about staying in a hotel as someone else said you miss certain stuff... but if you stay late and get their early you won't miss too much.
UGA Aftermath-Charles "Barron" Seiferd

My like new Infinity Legend for your Marq or Cash... PM for info

#12 User is offline   jeepinjason51 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 29 October 2008 - 07:50 PM

View PostRedBarron12, on Oct 29 2008, 08:29 PM, said:

If you go take a jeep... a recommend hotel just because it rained twice this year and a jeep is reccomended becuase the roads are just mud around the camp. If you camp the German 726th has an awsome camp site and they party. um... what else... the water there for bathroom use and showers are pretty much straight sulfur. if you didn't want to take a jeep take an atv.

this year we are taking an atv and a trailer but we are staying in a hotel. i like camping just not when its that humid and hot. paint runs around $60 give or take and i think entry is $70 + $5 fee for just entering the park. the only bad thing about staying in a hotel as someone else said you miss certain stuff... but if you stay late and get their early you won't miss too much.

Thanks for the advice my fellow SP-1 user. So I'm guessing they dont care if you drive around to all the vendors and what not? If you bring a vehicle, do they give you a sticker or a tag of any kind to let you in and out of the park?

I hate to say it but yeah, right now its looking like a hotel is our best bet. I am putting away money every week to try and at least rent a small tow behind camper. It will suck towing behind the jeep, hopefully gas will stay low. Like I said, we're all hoping my co-captains folks get good news towards the end of november so they can get an RV.

Oh yeah, about the mud........
Posted Image
BRING IT!!!
SP-1 P'Owner #21

#13 User is offline   RedBarron12 

• RedBarron12
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:RedBarron12

Posted 30 October 2008 - 01:52 PM

well you pay $5 a person when you get to the gate, you then get an arm band. idk why they do this becuase you already are paying $70 for your entry fee but thats how it works i guess. they said its for camping but we got charged anyway.

as for driving around... good luck! its packed. we just walked to vendors and the main area and parked by the speedball field. we then drove to the 726th campsite which is in the back of the park to hang with our unit. they might get after you for driving to the vendors. in some parts you aren't allowed to drive around.

book a hotel room now they will be full after december. we were lucky and got a room that someone cancled. the neosho hotel is nice, it has a pool and the rooms have been remodled recently. its like a 15 min drive to d-day.

nice jeep, how do you like the 4 door ones?
UGA Aftermath-Charles "Barron" Seiferd

My like new Infinity Legend for your Marq or Cash... PM for info

#14 User is offline   jeepinjason51 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 30 October 2008 - 02:42 PM

I'm gonna go ahead and reserve 2 rooms. We've gained another person and the local paintball shop said they know of a few people that might be interested in going. If we get at least 6 that will make renting a camper affordable.

Freaking love the 4 door. Its like having the all capabilities of a wrangler with the comfort and room of a grand cherokee. I'm 6 ft even and can sit in the back seat comfortably. Plus the longer wheel base makes it stable as hell off road.
SP-1 P'Owner #21

#15 User is offline   billybob 

• The John Deere of paintball. Nothing mows as nice.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Location:Leavenworth County Kansas, everyone's a prisoner here
  • Brigade Name:billybob

Posted 30 October 2008 - 03:04 PM

I think if I go back next year I'm renting a hotel room. I'll probably end up camping but I want to have a room in case it rains like it did this year. And someone mentioned vendors. There really wasn't enough room this year to drive right up to the vendors but there is parking within a reasonable distance. It's nice having the vendors in case you forget something but if I go back I'm bringing A LOT of extra cash and making sure I have extra room for new gear. The prices you can find on some things on Sunday are insanely cheap.
"Life sucks" ~LT
"What the Hell? Is Abercrombie making people now!!!?"~ Vash

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users