• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Burlap Length? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Butlermilitia 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 September 2008 - 12:21 PM

I'm building my own ghillie and was wondering what the standard length will th burlap be from the knot to the end of the strand? Also if I use the 5 strand loop tying method how long should the strands be before I tie them? Thank you for your time.

#2 User is offline   Tenacious221 

• ELITE Member, now with matching elite patch!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Tenacious221

Posted 20 September 2008 - 12:24 PM

Probably 5 inches would be good...

-Tenacious

#3 User is offline   -SMITTY- 

• one of the original 27,731 members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:-SMITTY-

Posted 20 September 2008 - 12:25 PM

View PostButlermilitia, on Sep 20 2008, 03:21 PM, said:

I'm building my own ghillie and was wondering what the standard length will th burlap be from the knot to the end of the strand? Also if I use the 5 strand loop tying method how long should the strands be before I tie them? Thank you for your time.

anywhere from 6-12 inches. so cut them between 12 and 24 inches. The idea is to not really have any set pattern.

#4 User is offline   Tenacious221 

• ELITE Member, now with matching elite patch!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Tenacious221

Posted 20 September 2008 - 12:28 PM

View Post-SMITTY-, on Sep 20 2008, 02:25 PM, said:

anywhere from 6-12 inches. so cut them between 12 and 24 inches. The idea is to not really have any set pattern.

The longer they are, the more flat they lay, and the less your silhouette is broken up.

-Tenacious

#5 User is offline   Butlermilitia 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 20 September 2008 - 12:57 PM

So 1 strand should be around 6-9 inches in length any longer and the ghillie wouldn't work as it is designed to. Thanks for your time.

#6 User is offline   Ubersmack 

• Right Behind You
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Ubersmack

Posted 20 September 2008 - 01:14 PM

I am an ex-marine and have built a few suits. The idea is to not have them all the same length, the suit needs to be random. Make a pile of short ones, roughly 5 inches knot to end; medium ones, about 8-9 inches knot to end; and some long ones, about 12ish inches. Remember to add an inch or two for the knot.

Two of the major things I advise for anyone building a suit.

1) DO NOT USE BLACK. Sure it looks cool, but black is not a natural color found very often in nature, and will therefore stand out more. Use lots of greens, browns, tans, etc. Think about where you will be playing most often with it, go to that area or an area like it and take a walk around, checking out different bushes and places you think you would like to hide, get ideas for how much of each color you will want to use. After it is all built, lay it on the ground. Get some spray paint of said natural colors and add some here and there to the burlap breaking up and obvious looking areas in your finished product. (Word of warning, after doing this, and for any suit you build, buy a spray-on fire retardant and treat the finished suit. All of that burlap and spray paint makes you a walking bonfire waiting to happen)

2) DO NOT OVER CLUTTER THE SUIT. Lots of first timers will just COVER the suit in burlap, layers upon layers upon layers. You will look like a large pile of colored burlap, not a bush, when you are done. This is obviously not what you are aiming for. Do a semi thin layer of burlap, just enough to cover up what is underneath. Now when you get to the area you will actually be using said suit, incorporate natural vegetation from the area around you, leaves, branches, etc. Now you will actually look like part of the surroundings. :D (Word of warning on this as well, don't go to a field and start tearing there bush's at the paint shack apart, walk into the woods and grab some from different areas, keep the owners happy.)

I can post some pictures of my suit if you want, hell i should just make a guide.. if anyone wants a good one, would take me some time to put together.

*edit* just took some quick pictures

The top
Posted Image

The pants
Posted Image

Standard issue BDU's with all front pockets removed. Cargo pockets left on, this is a lay down suit with no covering on the front.

This has been rolled up in a drawer for a bit so its a little flat and bunched if you where noticing that.

This post has been edited by Ubersmack: 20 September 2008 - 01:50 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users