• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My Phantom nearly killed me!!!! Rate Topic: -----

#16 User is offline   Yeti22 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 October 2008 - 11:36 AM

Hmmm alright well I guess I'll give that a shot.

#17 User is offline   Krazy8 

• User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Krazy8

Posted 20 October 2008 - 12:17 PM

Yes you can get them at places like Home Depot. Personally I've had far better results using Ace Hardwre though. they carry a much better selection of loose nuts n bolts.

#18 User is offline   Yeti22 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 20 October 2008 - 12:23 PM

Well that's good. Lol finally got the gauge off. I guess I'll go out and shop around. Thanks for the help dudes.

This post has been edited by Yeti22: 20 October 2008 - 12:29 PM

#19 User is offline   thisissparta 

• Tonight, We Dine In Heck!!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:thisissparta

Posted 20 October 2008 - 12:30 PM

use a blow dryer, remove all the valve parts, and then just point the dryer at the threaded area, the heat will warm the locktite up and it will come undone.

If you removed all the soft seals (powertube cap o-ring and cupseal) you should be good to go if you replace the gauge or plug it up.

Call/e-mail Mike Casady. He'll probably send you a new gauge or maybe a 1/8 plug for free. He's just awesome like that.

nevermind about the blow dryer... :dodgy:

This post has been edited by thisissparta: 20 October 2008 - 12:30 PM

The Spartan Armory: 98 Custom, Spyder e99 Avant, Tippmann A5, PMI-1, Splatmaster, SL-68 II, Classic Mag, Nel-Spot 007, WGP Sniper II (~95), DM5, SL-68II, Dye Reflex, Sideline Duckslide, Pro-Carbine, Piranha LB, Splatmaster, PG convert, Tippmann Pro-Lite, K-Framed Palmer's Paladin, T8 with TRG and milling work, SA-8, Gargantom, Custom Cocker
Feedback: SO Forum (+13/-0) MCB: (+24/-0) I love Kaesie. Fact: I am a ninja.

#20 User is offline   blackrain 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:blackrain's aftermath

Posted 20 October 2008 - 04:55 PM

I can't believe that someone actually suggested using puddy for a high pressure air fix. I can't believe someone is actually using it for field repairs. If you would have been injured, that filed or person who recommended using the stuff is liable.
Future FYI,if it's high pressure,use the correct fix,i e new guage, 1/8 NPT fitting, loctite etc.
Always use the correct repair item, never substitute, substitutions can get you hurt.
Later,
Blackrain

#21 User is offline   slowerpig81 

• This man is a Beast with that Phantom. -thisissparta
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:slowerpig81

Posted 20 October 2008 - 06:13 PM

The velocity setting on the phantom does not change the pressure upstream of the valve.

PPS sells ashcroft gauges.

The purpose of the gauge is to tell when to switch 12 grams with out having to look for drop off, hammer bounce, even having the valve open on the cocking stroke of the pump. Basically when you get below 400 PSI, for example, you switch, and you are not wasting too much gas if you don't mind. Also good to see if you need to refill your 3.5 before a game starts. I don't own a Phantom with a gauge, but I used a VSC with one once and I really liked it.

Anyone know how those gauges work? I don't.

#22 User is offline   thisissparta 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 October 2008 - 06:28 PM

it's a seal that pushes against spring resistance while turning a threaded rod, the more PSI, the more the seal is pushed out, and the more the threaded rod is engaged, meaning the further it turns... I'm pretty sure that's how they work...
The Spartan Armory: 98 Custom, Spyder e99 Avant, Tippmann A5, PMI-1, Splatmaster, SL-68 II, Classic Mag, Nel-Spot 007, WGP Sniper II (~95), DM5, SL-68II, Dye Reflex, Sideline Duckslide, Pro-Carbine, Piranha LB, Splatmaster, PG convert, Tippmann Pro-Lite, K-Framed Palmer's Paladin, T8 with TRG and milling work, SA-8, Gargantom, Custom Cocker

#23 User is offline   Lomarandil 

• SPPL Junkie -- BlackLight Company
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Lomarandil

Posted 20 October 2008 - 06:32 PM

That's one way a gauge can work..

Others use a curled tube which deforms a known amount when filled to a given pressure.

I'm not sure which method is standard in PB gauges.

Lo

#24 User is offline   Yeti22 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 20 October 2008 - 07:50 PM

Well if you look at me picture (the first one) you will see that it uses a curled up copper... something. Tube? I don't know.

Regardless, after a quick trip to Home Depot and $1.49 later, I have a 1/8 plug that, in conjunction with some Teflon Tape, sealed that hole right up and my baby is back in perfect working order now.

Luckily I didn't place the order for a whole new Air Adapter.

Thank you to everyone for the advice and ridicule. ;)

Always get what I need from SpecOps Forums.

#25 User is offline   thisissparta 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 October 2008 - 08:04 PM

you sir are very welcome. Just don't use masking tape to fix your HPA tank. ;)

#26 User is offline   WardenWolf 

• Aspie Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:WardenWolf

Posted 20 October 2008 - 08:05 PM

Phantoms are not the best Nelsons ever made, but they're good enough and versatile enough that they're what's left. Historically, Bushmaster Line SI's and Lapco pumps have always been considered better, but again, it's not what's best, it's what's left.

Kanye: "Yo, Chile, I'm gonna let you finish shakin', but I just got to say Haiti had one of the best earthquakes of all time!"
Save a tree: wipe your ass with a hippie!

#27 User is offline   thisissparta 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 October 2008 - 08:08 PM

ahem... carter... ahem...

Phantoms are pretty nice, they're better than some Nelsons out there *coughbrasseaglecough* but for the price they're really solid markers. The "nice" Nelsons can get kinda ridiculous... e.g. the new Carter Duck, I put one together for $2200...

then again, there's not much you can go wrong with in a Nelson valve system.

#28 User is offline   Yeti22 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 20 October 2008 - 08:20 PM

View Postthisissparta, on Oct 20 2008, 09:04 PM, said:

you sir are very welcome. Just don't use masking tape to fix your HPA tank. ;)

Lol, hush you.

#29 User is offline   Chefdave 

• Karate Monkey Deathcar
  • PipPip

Posted 20 October 2008 - 10:08 PM

View PostWardenWolf, on Oct 20 2008, 10:05 PM, said:

Phantoms are not the best Nelsons ever made, but they're good enough and versatile enough that they're what's left. Historically, Bushmaster Line SI's and Lapco pumps have always been considered better, but again, it's not what's best, it's what's left.

Phantoms are far from "good enough" and "what's left". :rolleyes:

"In the day" they were on the same plane as SI's and LAPCO's. With Mike's commitment and focus on pump play a modern Phantom far excedes any of the older Nelsons. The Phantom is the longest continually produced pump and it's original design has been improved over the years. At this stage of the game it incorporates all of the improvements in the modern Nelson design into the most versatile, customizable, affordable, high performance package around.

There is a solid reason that it's still around.

This post has been edited by Chefdave: 20 October 2008 - 10:25 PM

#30 User is offline   thisissparta 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 October 2008 - 10:12 PM

View PostChefdave, on Oct 20 2008, 10:08 PM, said:

View PostWardenWolf, on Oct 20 2008, 10:05 PM, said:

Phantoms are far from "good enough" and "what's left".

"In the day" they were on the same plane as SI's and LAPCO's. With Mike's commitment and focus on pump play a modern Phantom far excedes any of the older Nelsons. The Phantom is the longest continually produced pump and it's original design has been improved over the years. At this stage of the game it incorporates all of the improvements in the modern Nelson design into the most versatile, customizable, affordable, high performance package around.

There is a solid reason that it's still around.

Amen! Hallelujah! The Chef Has Spoken!

:rolleyes:

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users