Question on Bore Sizes Newbie question on the ideal bore size for a barrel

#1 User is offline   Lamenti 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Lamenti

Posted 05 September 2008 - 06:03 PM

Hello,

I am looking into buying a STIFFI barrel and was wondering what ideal bore size I should get it for it. I will most likely be using Marbalizers or XBall.

I am planning to put it on a Tac-One.

Thanks!

#2 User is offline   Jonas 

• Woodsball? Sounds fun.
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:H

Posted 05 September 2008 - 06:13 PM

http://www.pbnation....ad.php?t=916326
That's a list of bore sizes, unsure of if it still the same. A medium bore should do well for you, though I'd go for a barrel kit instead.
Yeah I use an M-16 grip, wanna fight about it?

Best webcomic ever.

#3 User is offline   Steed 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 September 2008 - 06:13 PM

There are roughly 3 schools of thought to this now adays. Over boring which is bigger barrel smaller paint, matched bore where the paint and bore are close to equal and under boring where there is a site seem. Match boring previously thought to be the best is now turning out to be not so much, less efficient and consistent data shows it's not the best option. Under and over boring are roughly the same consistency while over boring is less efficient and under is more efficient and slightly higher consistency. Barrel breaks are about the same across the board, but afew less with over bored...

What's all this mean? A smaller bore will generate better results depending on the kit but runs a mild risk of more breaks.

#4 User is offline   Jonas 

• Woodsball? Sounds fun.
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:H

Posted 05 September 2008 - 06:21 PM

How is match boring proving to be not as efficient as previously thought? I'm not disagreeing with your statement, I'd like a link to these studies. And yes, a smaller bore would be a good choice, but cleaning the breaks that would be more frequent would pose a problem. I've heard that carbon fiber barrels have a chance at unthreading when running a squeegee through them.
Yeah I use an M-16 grip, wanna fight about it?

Best webcomic ever.

#5 User is offline   Lamenti 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 05 September 2008 - 06:49 PM

Wow! You guys are quick! The link to the paintball sizes and all your suggestions were really helpful, so thank you Jonas and Steed for responding so fast.

I was looking at the bore sizes offered by SITE and also looking at the bore sizes on the paintballs.

If I go medium bore size and also considering a little bit over/under bore, I might go with a .689 or bore size barrel for the Stiffi barrel because it seems like most paintballs goes up to .690 or .691.

Hmm... from reading the responses - I have a few more questions now...

How do the kits actually help? I was looking at it but it seems rather expensive for the kits knowing that I will probably buy my own paint for the field -- unless I go to a field paint only place.

And... what is the best way to clean the carbon fiber barrels? On and off the field... I was told to clean my regular barrels with warm water and dry it completely. Hope it is the right way. lol

#6 User is offline   Steed 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 September 2008 - 05:53 AM

Basically bore matching creates a slight variation cause not 2 balls are going to be exactly the same, that difference is enough to cause a general inconsistency. A smaller tighter bore creates a better seal but the recent barrel break tests shows no serious increased risk of breaks out of 3 thousand rounds, now this isn't a bore that's seriously smaller, its a bore that's 1 step down from the measurement.

#7 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 06 September 2008 - 06:28 AM

If you are owning one barrel the ideal size is .688, .689 or .690. Depending op what the company offers.

#8 User is offline   Piller 

• Piller
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Piller

Posted 06 September 2008 - 09:04 PM

When in doubt go large bore. Anything in the .689-690 range I think is ideal. If you're in a humid area you might like something a bit larger like .693. The reason being that you will be able to play with any paint you come across. It's no big deal if you have paint that is smaller than the barrel. It's when you have a barrel too small for the paint where you have issues. "pop". From my experience the importance of having a perfect paint-barrel bore size match is exaggerated. Unless the match is wayyy off you aren't going to notice any difference in shooting. If anything it's just a slight drop in air efficiency only noticeable when playing with 12 grams.

The easiest approach is to just simply use a large bore and buy large bore paint. Most big names work just fine including Marballizers and X-Ball.

Barrel kits came out as way to prevent paint rollouts on Autocockers and from then they started to be marketed as superior. Before that everything was made with a large bore and it worked just fine. Most 2 piece barrels today are made with an overly-short back section anyways which kind of negates any air efficiency gained by a supposed perfect size match.

A rubber squeegee or even a fluffy swab will be just fine on the field. Stiffi is no longer stating their "don't use swabs on our super strong carbon fiber" claim anymore. With the way Stiffi barrels are made the ball only touch the barrel for the first 6-7 inches. Most other carbon fiber barrels line their barrel's bores with something else so the paintball isn't rubbing up against rough carbon fiber.
Automaggot #123 - Pump User #152 - ICE Epic Owner
"Marketing hype in paintball?! The nerve of some people. After all, we paintballers would never throw our hard earned cash into the magic box of marketing hype."

#9 User is offline   Lamenti 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 08 September 2008 - 11:17 AM

Thanks everybody!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic