Special Ops Paintball: The Super "Is this a good Sniper marker?" Thread - Special Ops Paintball

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Super "Is this a good Sniper marker?" Thread Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Tenacious221 

• ELITE Member, now with matching elite patch!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Tenacious221

Posted 14 July 2006 - 06:11 PM

Trying to reach the ever elusive position of paintball sniper?

Curious about whether your marker of choice is good for the position?

Well here's all your answers...

If you're shopping for and assembling a 'Sniper' marker, there are actually a few things to look for and aquire that will help you out some in the departments of noise and accuracy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BARREL

First off you want a ported barrel. The extra porting is going to allow a more controlled release of gas, and thusly muffle the POP of the paintball leaving the barrel. When shopping for a new marker, take note of the thread types and look for greatly ported barrels in that threading. Most of the time you will want to upgrade the barrel on your stock marker right away because most stock barrels arent good for the accuracy you will be wanting.

When shopping for a barrel, you will also want to look for a barrel with an average bore, or better yet, a barrel kit that will allow you to change bore to match your paint. Some of these kits are the Redz Pepper Stix, The Evil Pipe Kit, The Smart Parts Freak, The J&J Edge, The St!ffi Sw!tch and The Empire Barrel Kit. The ability to change the bore of your barrel allows you to silence your barrel slightly because gas isnt escaping around the ball, and it also increases your accuracy because the ball isnt tumbling down your barrel.

Oookay...debunking here...LONGER BARRELS DO NOT NECISSARILY MEAN GREATER ACCURACY! Most of your accuracy is going to come from your paints diameter being as close as possible to your barrel's interior bore. A longer barrel may help a little bit, but most of the time there's no differance between things like 18 inchers and 12inchers...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MOVING MASS (Operation)

The operation of your 'Sniper' Marker can also somewhat effect your performance in a game. Blowback markers are nice and cheap, and make decent markers, but if you're looking for great accuracy and quiet operation, the big metal bolt and hammer flying back and forth just wont do. It just makes too much noise. If you're going to try and keep your silence you're gonna want a marker that operates without much mass flying around. Spool valved markers work very well for this because the bolt is the only thing that moves. AGD blowforward style markers also have this lightweight Bolt-Only operation. This style of marker is quieter because the moving parts weigh less, and they dont HIT anything. Some spool valved markers are the DYE matrix series and the Smart Parts Shocker, and Ion. The only blow forward markers that are currently made that I know of are made by AGD.

INTERNALS

The internals of your marker are also important. For spool valved markers and blow forward markers, just make sure that you keep it well greased and in good repair.

With blowback markers there are a few things that you can do to increase your effeciency and decrease your noise. You can polish your internals. This process will cause the mechanics of the marker to slide more smoothly and more effeciently. You can keep your orings fresh and lubed. This will provide a good seal inside your marker and prevent noisy gas escapes. You can also pad the face of your hammer. This is done with a VERY thin piece of felt or chairfoot slider. All of these processes can be found elsewhere on the forum by using the SEARCH function.

CONSISTANCY

Another thing to do about your accuracy is to make your marker as consistant as possible. The consistancy of your marker will make each shot travel in more the same pattern. Meaning, if you bolted your marker to the table and fired it twice, a marker with good consistancy will place the balls very close to eachother.

Some ways to increase your consistancy are getting a regulator to control gas pressure, having a good paint to barrel match to control gas escape, and having a good bolt to control blowback (gas leaking up the feedneck)

The Operating pressure of your marker also has an effect on your consitancy. Consult your owners manual or customer service for specific pressures for your marker. You want to be as close to this number as possible because this is the pressure that the manufacturer has found the marker works best at.

Side Matter:

When considering a marker, you will want to think about the upgradability of your marker. Lower end markers tend to have less options for improvement or modifications. You dont want to be stuck with a marker that you cant change to make better for your purposes. As a general rule, stick to the larger marker brands and the more popular markers. These will have the most readily available upgrades and improvments.

For any other questions you have, just Posted Image Me or Posted Image Forum Staff.

-Tenacious

This post has been edited by Tenacious221: 12 August 2006 - 12:30 PM

#2 User is offline   Ze J 

• Sniper/Dagger Hybrid
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 14 July 2006 - 08:35 PM

Good post, lots of good info.

#3 User is offline   battlestar 

• the tanker
  • PipPip

Posted 16 July 2006 - 11:52 AM

look tenacious i know that you have been into paint more that most but some times the paint ball sniper just cannot work one of the things is anti sniper patrols heard of them well is simple they walk up a hill and whenever they see something out of place theuy shoot it the y are the biggest problem to sniper on the battle field and they can just bring hell to hours of planing hard work and decidcation. but apart6 from hat that was a great post and i would like to see more of stuff like this sometimes. i am soon going to write a guide on how to make a tank and would like to see if you would want to put some into in

thanks

battlestar
i am the one when you think that you are safe you are not and when and when you are losing you are winning because i am there

#4 User is offline   Tenacious221 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 July 2006 - 12:00 PM

Heh...i've never built a tank...but i can always give input. PM me...box is always open...

-Tenacious

#5 User is offline   TINTIN 

• \/ look..i have 5 square-thingys
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:TINTIN

Post icon  Posted 17 July 2006 - 02:58 PM

exellent post Tenacious ;)

#6 User is offline   Squatting 13ear 

• Satisfy your Grunty thrist!
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Squatting 13ear

Posted 18 July 2006 - 07:04 AM

Great info!

But any ideas on how to quiet the loudest of them all(a.k.a the A-5)?Its dang near impossible to quiet that beast down.

Squatting 13ear

#7 User is offline   CONFIRMEDKILL 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:CONFIRMEDKILL

Posted 19 July 2006 - 07:48 AM

Great info!

But any ideas on how to quiet the loudest of them all(a.k.a the A-5)?Its dang near impossible to quiet that beast down.

Squatting 13ear

Sell it....Buy a 'cocker

#8 User is offline   Tenacious221 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 July 2006 - 02:27 PM

Well...If you only shoot once or twice at a time, the opposition will have a hard time figureing out where you are.

Other than fire control...just have a good paint to barrel match, and lots of porting...

-Tenacious

#9 User is offline   Pneumaniac227 

• Certified Pump Paintball Crash Dummy
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 July 2006 - 07:04 PM

You could also get a Low Pressure Kit. By lowering the pressure it will make the marker quieter.
Digi Camo Program Web Dog Radio The Whiteboard
"Hype, cease and desist orders, and lawsuits are ruining our sport" club member #4
My Feedback (+8/-0) My Stuff For Sale!!! My Website
"The Ironmen though, are like the Yankees. I dont really care for them, but I would still place a bet on them." -ghostinthewood

#10 User is offline   Tenacious221 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 July 2006 - 06:52 AM

This is true. Low pressure does help a little bit.

-Tenacious

#11 User is offline   Brownies 

• ^hehe^
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:GHILLIE SNIPER

Posted 22 July 2006 - 02:09 PM

great post, I'm gonna use your advice
IPB Image
yay! finally a sig that obeys the guidelines

#12 User is offline   New Comander 

• Commander in training.
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:SABRE515

Posted 04 August 2006 - 06:04 PM

Does that mean the98c is a bad sniper gun or a good one. It's easily modable and maintainable but it's a blow back plus it's pretty loud.

#13 User is offline   Tenacious221 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 August 2006 - 06:08 PM

Any marker can be a 'sniper' marker...Some are just more IDEAL to the position. Its up to your personal discretion.

When you're shooting only one ball at a time, it doesnt really matter how loud your marker is.

-Tenacious

#14 User is offline   gamer 

• Yes.... it hurts
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SHADOWOPS

Posted 07 August 2006 - 12:08 AM

I agree with the first part, kinda.

If you are shooting one ball at a time then you have better not be shooting paintballs.

A single paintball is not very accurate, even given the best circumstances. Paint to bore, paint quality, etc. Still not an accurate projectile that travels on an arcing path, with a very limited range.

A single paintball might not break. I would never risk shooting a single paintball for risk it would bounce and allow reaction time for my target. If you think you can hit the goggles from 100 feet away in a single shot then refer to the point above.

Targets/players sometimes travel in groups, and you got to send a string to eliminate all of them. Thats obviously requires more than one shot.

The sound report of your marker can not be under-rated. Same with the (gets flameproof suit on) rate of fire. Same with the weight and compactness. Go ahead and debate that large, heavy, slow and loud markers are great sniper platforms, but in the end cold hard reality tells a different tale.

A Tippmann is a super reliable and great marker. I love them, and they are an amazing benchmark in modern paintball. A Tippmann however does not make the best sniper platform. They are some of the loudest and heaviest markers out there. They are not SUPER loud, or SUPER heavy, but they are among the loudest and heaviest nonetheless.

It you are serious about being a stealth expert (a paintball sniper) then you need the right tool for the right job. A paintball sniper has little or no accuracy or range advantage over any other position. The thing that makes a paintball sniper is STEALTH. It also helps being lightweight and compact as well, for obvious reasons I do not need to explain.

I also am a fan of the dreaded rate of fire! RoF is actually super important to the sniper. If your marker is quiet you can shoot a hopper without being detected. In that hopper load you can take out alot of targets, and most importantly, slow the advance of a huge flank single handedly... buying your team much needed time. A sniper isnt all about the ambush. Alot of the time the sniper is a huge defensive asset, who inspires trepidation and slowness in the enemy. Huge rate of fire can do that, so dont hate.

The good news is that there are four confirmed varieties of marker that are perfectly suited for the sniper role. It is not a mystery why each of these markers are also common tourney markers. Tourney markers are small, compact, powerful, and usually quiet. The four are as follows:

- Ion. The cheapest bang for the buck. The Black Cell parts make these very woodsball friendly. Quiet and lightweight, and rate of fire for days. Also super efficient on air. Not as durable as a Tippmann, but it isnt exactly falling apart either. Ions are complex, but tough.

- Autocockers. What can I say that hasnt already been said. These markers are quiet, have hardly any recoil. You can even get great tactical type bodies for red dots, etc. With a T2W stock adapter you are in posetion of one of the best sniper platforms in the world. No wonder Poppa Bear from OSOK (probably the worlds most famous paintball sniper) uses one.

- Automags. My personal fave. Easiest markers to maintain. Rate of fire that is mind boggling and you will never get shootdown (with the X Valve). Lightweight and super customizable. The are reliable and quiet, and I love them. Tom Kaye is a total genius. You can even get Automags on Ebay for next to nothing.

- The Dye Matrix series. Early paintball snipers were all over the "DM3". Super quiet and fast. In fact, every marker in this family is fast, light, compact, quiet and deadly. When I saw a Proto Matrix on a T2W stock I nearly soiled myself. That marker is deadly for a sniper, and is the perfect tool for the job....if only you could get a red dot it tho!

Now, there are other markers out there that are great for sniping, but these ones are my personal picks. Just remember, a sniper marker is STEALTH oriented, and its rate of fire, compactness, weight and feel are all assets.

In regards to the Tippmann question, as to whether or not it is a good sniper marker, I would say that it is a decent sniper marker. Not a good one.
- I am Jack's complete lack of suprise. -

#15 User is offline   kondor-11 

• Team Stealth Maverik
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:KONDOR -SMS01-

Posted 08 August 2006 - 11:12 PM

I never thought I'd read a post that made sniping and speedball alsmost fit together. almost.

I agree with alot of what you say, especially about stealth. That is the most important thing to a paintball sniper. About RoF, my idea of the perfect sniper setup would be a gun that can be set to a very high RoF on Three round burst. Thus, when the trigger is pulled, the source may still go undetected, but there is a higher chance of hitting the target.

Share this topic:

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users