Special Ops Paintball: Opinions on Smart Parts SP1 and SP8? - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Opinions on Smart Parts SP1 and SP8? Good marker? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Pyroman9 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 19 January 2009 - 11:01 PM

I am considering upgrading guns....

I am seeing the SP1 and SP8 which both look pretty nice...

what do you all think??

Anyone have one?

They seem like they would be very quiet and pretty efficient...

#2 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2009 - 11:04 PM

I have two teammates with SP1s. Zero complaints about them, and they perform nicely.

As far as the SP8 goes, it's an Ion with a milsim body. I'm not sure the extra cost is worth it, and it may be better to evaluate the Ion as the alternative.
Member of Team Akkadian

#3 User is offline   Bagheera 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Bagheera

Posted 20 January 2009 - 12:32 AM

If you're looking for a good marker that will perform under any conditions, I'd go with a mechanical marker, and stay away from the electros. There are times when a good sniper needs to be in less than ideal conditions, such as laying in the mud, sometimes on top of a very small stream. My top choice of course, is the Automag.

WTB Tac-One Warp Right Body

"No such thing as a paintball sniper? I can see how you'd think that, but remember, just because you can't see us, doesn't mean we don't exist." - AnEchoSoldier

#4 User is offline   Phobeus 

• You can't kill what you can't see...
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:The Bushman

Posted 20 January 2009 - 07:54 AM

amen to that, thats the whole reason I picked up a mag! my ion hasn't crapped out on me yet and got me through d-day very nicely, but I'm constantly worried about where I can go will I have to stick it in a plastic bag when it rains? The SP1 though I saw a video of it shooting under water, so thats pretty cool. But hands down if you don't want to deal with batteries or rain, get a mag.

#5 User is offline   Thalion 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 January 2009 - 02:03 PM

While an automag is a fine marker, I find some of your content objectionable.

There are times when a good sniper needs to be in less than ideal conditions, such as laying in the mud, sometimes on top of a very small stream.

Clearly, sir, you have not paid any attention to the evolution of electronic markers. Smart Parts demonstrated this is non-issue by firing their SP1 submerged in water. If there was ever going to be a problem, a total submersion would be it.

There wasn't.
Member of Team Akkadian

#6 User is offline   scphantom9195 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:scphantom9195

Posted 20 January 2009 - 02:30 PM

Between the two mentioned I would get the SP1. I know two guys that have had the SP8 and both of them ended up breaking the plastic bodies during play. SP sent replacement free of charge, but they still broke!
"Only the strong survive. The weak are killed and eaten as fingerfood." SDI SSgt Patterson, USMC, Platoon 1077[/b]
My feedback http://forum.special...=1

www.okcompanypaintball.com

#7 User is offline   josef_k 

• WWII mod-o-holic
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Josef_K

Posted 24 January 2009 - 08:49 PM

Thalion, on Jan 20 2009, 02:03 PM, said:

While an automag is a fine marker, I find some of your content objectionable.

There are times when a good sniper needs to be in less than ideal conditions, such as laying in the mud, sometimes on top of a very small stream.

Clearly, sir, you have not paid any attention to the evolution of electronic markers. Smart Parts demonstrated this is non-issue by firing their SP1 submerged in water. If there was ever going to be a problem, a total submersion would be it.

There wasn't.

If somebody is willing to pour sand down the feednecks of both an automag and SP1 or Ion and see which one keeps working longer, I think that would provide a more definitive answer than water immersion. On a related note, Scotchkote appears to work wonders with protecting sensitive electronics from moisture.

This post has been edited by josef_k: 24 January 2009 - 08:50 PM

There are 101 types of people: those who understand binary, those who don't, and those who just can't count.

#8 User is offline   Thalion 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 January 2009 - 08:59 PM

josef_k, on Jan 24 2009, 09:49 PM, said:

If somebody is willing to pour sand down the feednecks of both an automag and SP1 or Ion and see which one keeps working longer, I think that would provide a more definitive answer than water immersion. On a related note, Scotchkote appears to work wonders with protecting sensitive electronics from moisture.

When are you going to pour sand down any paintball gun? I'm sure some idiot could find some way to do it (such as losing their hopper and managing to drop it in a sanddune and trips, managing to kick all manner of sand up into the air and burying their marker..... but the odds are so minimal I find this laughable).

That's like the "can you run it over with a truck" question. It simply isn't going to happen in a paintball game.

I am confident neither gun will be permenantly damaged from such a sand treatment, just will need cleaning to operate after it goes down (and the automag will go down too).

Either way, I'm ending my participation in the discussion -- been in too many arguments lately with people who are dead-set on believing myths that there's no use showing science to them to prove otherwise. I've given perhaps the best example of a true worst-case scenario in a paintball field (that is, dropping the marker in a body of water), but that's rejected in favor of something that simply can't happen on the field unless you choose to pour that sand in.
Member of Team Akkadian

#9 User is offline   Buzz Killington 

• First you get the sugar
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Halfro

Posted 24 January 2009 - 09:24 PM

watch the sp1 sell itself right here!!!

http://www.londonpaintball.com/ <--- great canadian paintball shop!

#10 User is offline   Uncle Dil 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:peensie

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:56 AM

i can tell you now that the SP-8 is well worth the money.

#11 User is offline   HeadshotPhantom 

• Rockin', Cockin', and Class Stockin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:HeadshotPhantom

Posted 18 February 2009 - 03:08 PM

I've never liked Smart Parts, but from watching these videos I can tell you now the SP-1 has replaced the Tippmann A-5 as the AK-47 of paintball.

#12 User is offline   Freelancer-Alpha 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:FREELANCER-ALPHA

Posted 18 February 2009 - 05:51 PM

Both the SP-8 and SP-1 are great markers. the SP-1 handles co2 very well and is lighter then the SP-8 both would make great snipers with the addition of a Freak kit
[topic="http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index.php?showtopic=167103"]my feedback[/topic] [topic=" http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index...ic=167132"]JT Vortex Fan Fix[/topic]

#13 User is offline   lonestar2222003 

• Sentinels Sniper
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:The Sentinels

Posted 18 February 2009 - 11:01 PM

My sp-1 fires through anything dirt, sand, snow, mud and it still shoots straight and true. Ill take this gun over many others because of its dependability air efficiency battery life accuracy and rate of fire which is un-matched in its price range with other electros. also this gun is designed for woodsballers in mind. Its excellent in many ways. When my phantom is down i reach for my Sp-1 or when i wanna bring the rain on my opponents this will be my gun of choice.

as for the sp8 nah the sp-1 i think is better just because its smaller and more dependable, ive seen alot more sp-8's fall victim to breaks and breakdowns where as the sp-1 just keeps shooting no matter what.

SP-1 all the way (needs a new barrel though)
If I miss you had better hope you can run 300 fps. O.S.O.K.

Team: The Sentinels

Organization: US Air Force

Sp-1 owner #28

#14 User is offline   prettylou98 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 18 February 2009 - 11:14 PM

Sp1 is a very durable marker. Sp8 is a very quiet and accurate marker as well. But if you need tough as nails, go with the SP1 hands down. Put the new Blackheart board in there and your ripping.

Proudly Sponsored by
Special Ops, DYE Precision, QuickShot Paintball, FogDoc.com, PBWaterPod

#15 User is offline   Idealist Paintball 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:idealistpaintball

Posted 19 February 2009 - 07:28 PM

SP8 sucks THAT WAS UNNEEDED. It's pretty much an Ion with a milsim body. Everyone knows how hard the ion is to maintenance, and this is even 10x harder. A guy on my team has it and he already regrets buying it. You have to get a lot of upgrades to get that thing to work good, as with mostly all smart parts guns, and the biggest upgrades needed are a new trigger and a new board. The stock board is capped at 10bps, with no way of changing it unless you spend the extra $90 to get a blackheart board. I would definitely recommend not getting that gun. I would go for the SP1, it's a lot better than the sp8 and it shoots great out of the box with no upgrades needed.

This post has been edited by HeadshotPhantom: 19 February 2009 - 07:31 PM

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users