• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Should I upgrade? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   neo2000x 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 15 September 2009 - 08:02 AM

Hey guys, I have a Smart Parts Ion with a Freak Jr barrel (3 inserts), locking feedneck, clippard QEV, Firebolt, Smart Parts inline regulator, ASA on/off, and am considering upgrading.

How much better performance should I expect from a Mini or G3? Is it worth it? I play recreational and do not plan on entering any tournies.

Please provide constructive feedback if you have experience with these markers. I know there are a lot of Ion bashers out there so I don't want feedback based on hear say. TIA.

#2 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 September 2009 - 08:15 AM

The upgrade in performance won't be significant over the Ion, as long as yours is running smoothly. An upgraded Ion can perform pretty well so jumping to a mid-level marker, like the G3 & Mini, won't make that much of a difference. The overall quality of the marker is better, but is that worth the $2-300 you'll spend to get it (depending on used/new)? That's up to you. You can recoup part of that cost by selling yours, but don't expect much for a used Ion.

For specific pros/cons of the G3 & Mini just search around here, they're everywhere.

BTW: Welcome to the forums! Glad to have you with us.
ger
You bought the brand, not my allegiance.

#3 User is offline   kage83 

• KaGe
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:kage83

Posted 15 September 2009 - 08:32 AM

the best advice i ever got when thinking about buying a higher grade marker was, "you should only upgrade when you can outperform your marker, otherwise you're just throwing money down a hole." it was probably something i read on these forums somewhere...there's a lot of good advice here. Welcome!
If you are a Christian paintballer, put this in your sig

#4 User is online   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 15 September 2009 - 08:41 AM

Welcome to the forum.

I agree with these guys. It's not a preformance upgrade moving to a G3 or mini. Only thing you gain is easy of servicing the marker/bolt.

#5 User is offline   neo2000x 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 15 September 2009 - 08:46 AM

Thanks for the feedback- it was exactly what I was looking for. Having neither shot the Mini/G3 I didn't know how they performed.

Also, thanks for the welcome. Great forum, looking forward to being part of it.

#6 User is offline   TheEnd 

• I am the who when you call "Who's there?"
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:TheFear07

Posted 15 September 2009 - 10:15 AM

I wouldn't recommend upgrading if you are just a rec player. I actually just traded my A5 for an ion (cuz my ego got stolen :) ) I think that they are great markers for rec players.
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realized God doesn’t work that way, so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness.- Emo Philips
I don't drink these days. I'm allergic to alcohol and narcotics. I break out in handcuffs. Robert Downey Junior
Now and then I announce "I know you're listening to empty rooms". If I'm wrong then no one knows, and if I'm right, Maybe I just freaked the hell out of some secret organization.

#7 Guest_Schecter_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 16 November 2009 - 09:53 AM

unless you plan on making a giant step such as an Etek 3, alias intimidator, BL vice, BL marq or DM6+, I would sit on the ion for awhile.

p.s. buy used, and when you go to sell the ion, part it out. It will sell faster and you will get more money for it.

#8 User is offline   snipa12 

• snipe'em all day long
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:snipamasta

Posted 01 January 2010 - 09:49 PM

i would just keep your ion since your not going to be playing tourneys, as long as it shoots good your fine
smart parts owner # 100
"no you did not just fail you found 500 ways not to get me out"

#9 User is offline   Legato 

• AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator

Posted 01 January 2010 - 11:41 PM

ok, i am going to go on a different take on this. I say, don't buy a high end electro...try out a pump marker. It will make your game better overall in the long run. And when you do pick up the ion again you will be deadly. :P

I will warn you the first few times you play, to months, til however long it takes you to relearn the game can suck and be very hard. You will be eliminated a lot and feel discouraged. But it will greatly help you learn how to place shots and move better in the long run. In pump you can no longer get in gun fights with people...snap shooting is your best weapon.
Once you relearn the game and such, you will be amazed at how much better you can play in semi.

I know people hate us pumpers trying to convince another over. But you are looking to up your skills. If you are willing to dedicate time to it, pumping is a very rewarding experience. And like i said, once you get good, try a semi again, it will be heavenly. :P

"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

#10 User is offline   burns130 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 02 January 2010 - 12:27 AM

View PostLegato, on Jan 2 2010, 12:41 AM, said:

ok, i am going to go on a different take on this. I say, don't buy a high end electro...try out a pump marker. It will make your game better overall in the long run. And when you do pick up the ion again you will be deadly. :P

I will warn you the first few times you play, to months, til however long it takes you to relearn the game can suck and be very hard. You will be eliminated a lot and feel discouraged. But it will greatly help you learn how to place shots and move better in the long run. In pump you can no longer get in gun fights with people...snap shooting is your best weapon.
Once you relearn the game and such, you will be amazed at how much better you can play in semi.

I know people hate us pumpers trying to convince another over. But you are looking to up your skills. If you are willing to dedicate time to it, pumping is a very rewarding experience. And like i said, once you get good, try a semi again, it will be heavenly. :P

This is only my second post on this forum. However, I am far from a new player. Most of my posts can be found on the D-Day and Axis forums. I agree with all of the posts on this thread for the most part. I started with a Custom 98 years back and only played rec ball and now play regularly on a team. I am not a young guy but 24 years as a Marine counts for something. I am a bit of a marker tramp and have 7 markers right now (OLED DM8, OLED PM8x2, DPF8, 2 custom built Ions, 1 A-5). I have always admired pump players for the skill required. But, the marker you use should match your style of play. My son could use a pump but I am a front player and that would not work well for me. All things being equal, speed does matter. But, I still enjoy having a few skilled pump players around me because they generally know when, how, and where to move.

burns

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users