$1000+ Paintball guns I just dont get it Rate Topic: -----

#31 User is offline   aslanprime 

• Tippmann Slayer
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:ASLANPRIME

Posted 31 December 2010 - 06:08 PM

View PostBenaiah, on 25 December 2010 - 09:04 PM, said:

So unless you intend to play tournament speedball at the highest level, and your skills are to the point that the only improvement you could make is getting a better gun, the $1000+ markers are not worth the money.

This is the best way to sum it up. People spend a ton of money on stuff with little additional performance for lots of reasons. I don't know them, but keep in mind they are using the same "illogic" that a guy is using when he blows an extra $400-$500 on A5 or X7 upgrades to the stock or rail just to make it "look cool".

I used to shoot a Spyder. Got tired of getting outshot by electros despite my skills being equal...so I upgraded to High End Mechanicals. Recently, ran into the same problem as I started getting outshot by electros so I'm making the transition to Mid Range Electros.

Now, can I see the point where I'd ever buy a new marker, much less a new $1000 marker? Absolutely not. Just like I don't buy new cars. The markdown is so high as soon as you open that box, that there's no point to it. Why pay $1300 for a new DM when you can get a 09 or 08 model with upgrades for $600-$700?

But...I also can't really "preach" too much because I've invested a ton of money into multiple markers...when in reality, I only need a couple. So us gun whores are no better.
Proto Matrix PM5, Toxic trigger, Shocktech clamping feedneck, Virtue Board, CP On/Off, Dye Dm4 Sticky Grips, 12" Long Shot barrel
Automaggot #26 MY WEBPAGE MY FEEDBACK GUNS FOR SALE MY BRIGADE PAGE CHEAPEST PAINTBALLS ONLINE

#32 User is offline   Eskimo 

• Igloo Member #1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mime

Posted 31 December 2010 - 06:12 PM

Gun whores are speechless with this thread, lol.

#33 User is offline   Mehphisto 

• JUST A SMALL TOWN GIRL
  • PipPipPip

Posted 31 December 2010 - 08:15 PM

They shoot smoother, are more reliable, and have better customer service the vast majority of the time. Plus they are just nice to have. After I bought a DM6 a while back I instantly realized why people want nice guns. Then when I bought an Ego 10 last year it just solidified my opinion.
Damn it feels good to be a gangster.

ELITESPORTS OT
The only original OT team

#34 User is offline   Benaiah 

• If you dont get it, youre Sofa Kingdom
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Benaiah2320

Posted 02 January 2011 - 04:02 PM

View PostMehphisto, on 31 December 2010 - 10:15 PM, said:

They shoot smoother, are more reliable, and have better customer service the vast majority of the time. Plus they are just nice to have. After I bought a DM6 a while back I instantly realized why people want nice guns. Then when I bought an Ego 10 last year it just solidified my opinion.

Same thing happened to me. started with an A5, made the mistake of buying an ion, which was better than the A5, but still was a plunker. Then i borrowed a friend's 06 ego that he was selling, because my A5 crapped out on me (again....). I played one game, and bought it as soon as i got back to the stagin area. im in love with that gun, and i can only guess at the feel of a new high end like the 2011 SLS.
2 Samuel 22

#35 User is offline   Krazy8 

• User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Krazy8

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:35 AM

Now, take that knowledge you have of how nice it was to move into the '06....and typically that is the difference you feel when picking up a new supergun.

Yes the performance factors are not incredibly different, but to a player who has spent a good long time using gear you feel the differences instantly.

Shooting my m98 now feels like I am throwing rocks...shooting the GZ Intimidator feels like using a sling shot...using a Drone feels like shooting a high end target rifle and the Clone to me is akin to a Klingon Phazer!

And I am sure that my next purchase will move everything down the track the next time I make the move.

Superguns are an evil habit...but they make me smile and gigle like a school girl when I play soI think they are worth it.

#36 User is offline   Benaiah 

• If you dont get it, youre Sofa Kingdom
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Benaiah2320

Posted 05 January 2011 - 12:34 PM

View PostKrazy8, on 05 January 2011 - 01:35 PM, said:

Now, take that knowledge you have of how nice it was to move into the '06....and typically that is the difference you feel when picking up a new supergun.

Yes the performance factors are not incredibly different, but to a player who has spent a good long time using gear you feel the differences instantly.

Shooting my m98 now feels like I am throwing rocks...shooting the GZ Intimidator feels like using a sling shot...using a Drone feels like shooting a high end target rifle and the Clone to me is akin to a Klingon Phazer!

And I am sure that my next purchase will move everything down the track the next time I make the move.

Superguns are an evil habit...but they make me smile and gigle like a school girl when I play soI think they are worth it.

yea if you could get a shot of some people's faces the first time they light up with a supergun after using their 98....priceless.

And im sure down the road im going to get a supergun and love it all over again!
2 Samuel 22

#37 User is offline   Helmi_17 

• You know the music...
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Helmi_17

Posted 05 January 2011 - 01:29 PM

It's a "what you get from it kind of thing". I have been playing for a long time with inexpensive gear, but now that I'm rounding up on my 15th year of paintball... The higher end gear is appealing for reasons other than the pure performance benefits. I may have a lot of paintball experience, but do I play at the "pro level"? Probably not, that doesn't stop me from finding value in the higher end gear...

Like someone said earlier... If you have the choice between the Audi A4 and the Chevy Cruze, which one do you want to drive?

I can get the job done with my A-5 just the same as I do with the Tac-One, so why did I choose to spend 3x the money? Because it's just nicer to play with, it delivers a more fulfilling experience. Why spend $700 on a pump instead of $200? Well, go out and shoot some high ends to find out. Take an Ion or Mini out and play two games, then see if you can borrow someone's Ego and play with that for two games. If you don't see the difference or added value, don't spend the extra cash.

Personally, I've grown out of shooting $200 guns for the most part... I don't enjoy rocking things that everyone has, now that I don't have to. Do I need a $500 custom electro frame for my Tac? No, but I want it anyway because it's unique, hard-core, cool, and it brings me enjoyment just having one.
...Time to dance!

#38 User is offline   Krazy8 

• User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Krazy8

Posted 05 January 2011 - 05:13 PM

I remember when CenterFlag first released an e-frame for the AutoMag....people went bonkers over 'em! They were everywhere I played!
Then those same guys discovered other new toys to point their wallets at.

#39 User is offline   Helmi_17 

• You know the music...
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Helmi_17

Posted 11 January 2011 - 01:18 PM

Haha Krazy! I'm really going for an all OG X-Mag or E-Mag to satisfy my cravings... But that's because I am a Magaholic. I've got a classic, RT Pro, and a Tac-One. Now I just need the spendy ones! :) First up, X-Mag... Later, Sydarm. Needless to say, my tax return is already spent. :P
...Time to dance!

#40 User is offline   Wulfe 

• Sneaky spectre
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Wulfe

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:43 AM

Been a couple years since I've been to the forums here, but may as well drop my two cents.

To me, there isn't much of a point for the average person to buy a paintball gun that is one of the high-end, tournament ready out of the box machines. Not only is it almost two pay cheques for some people (there goes grocery and rent), but as mentioned earlier, unless you are constantly playing at the top end of the technological spectrum in tournaments you probably won't notice much of a difference in performance. I personally would probably find it negligible since I play almost entirely with pumps, and break out a mechanical A-5 whenever I feel like firing more than a ball every few moments.

I dare say for most woodsballers and scenario players, they would never have the need for the $1000 beast electros. With a really good assortment of markers in the mid-500 range that can achieve the field legal rates of fire, are very accurate and consistent and have wonderful air efficiency, it should be more than adequate. Sure, if you have the means and the desire for one of those high ends, go nuts. I'd personally wait a year or two for them to go down in price. Same high-end performance, slashed price tag. If you aren't playing competitive speedball for huge prize jack pots, you probably shouldn't have the mentality that you need the newest gun that comes out every year.

Besides, I'd probably feel a little bit better if I smashed my (theoretical) Etek on a rock over a Luxe. Just saying.
Only the enemy in front, every other beggar behind.

#41 User is offline   TyTy 

• Formerly known as Ty29...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Cpt.Ringo

Posted 18 January 2011 - 06:42 PM

As a gun whore, I can say this.

I've owned over 30 markers, I still own my first gun, a 98. Many have owned more than me :P

-What I have noticed is that, having gone through all of the low end markers, I realized that I wasn't happy with "this" or "that" or the way most of them shot and felt in my hands. There were always little things I had to complain about.

-I moved on to the mid range markers, and although they were considerably nicer, once I got used to them I got tired of the way they felt and shot. I felt the need to push things further and see how much nicer it might be to own a new high end.

-I proceeded to buy an EGO 9, and then a GEO+ when it came out. I used both, was unimpressed to move on to a higher marker, and then bought an X-Factor EGOX which I still am rocking.

I can honestly say that it is the nicest, best feeling marker I have used to date, and I've shot all of the prior EGO's, as well as all of the DM's. I know that the EGO 11 is out now, but the EGOX is the highest end marker I've owned, and is the most satisfying marker for me to use.

There is a certain, simple satisfaction I gain from using/owning a high end like it.

#42 User is offline   Locknpump 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:42 PM

Most 1000$+ guns look more awesome, and lets be honest, if the guns looked like pipes with air attached the game wouldn't be the same...technically there are minor diffrences but in the long run it comes down to the combination of looks and feel to make the player comfortable and confident with his marker.

A downside I see is that the worth of my pump will probably go up and end in a profit for me if I sell it, where as a still in production electro loses a chunk of value upon breaking the zipper of the case :P

This post has been edited by Locknpump: 18 January 2011 - 08:44 PM

#43 User is offline   GUNFU 

• EL Gunfu
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:I_KNW_GUNFU

Posted 18 January 2011 - 09:07 PM

Well I've always been torn between technology and actual usefulness of a marker. I do admit that my fingers is always hovering over the add to cart for the new DYE NT but I just can't see myself rocking such a pretty marker. The highest marker I've ever owned is a 05 Shocker SFT and I love that thing. I have so much money dropped into that thing I couldn't never cheat on her with another high end marker. Yes she is old tech but she is mine and I can still run with most of the big dogs. Like it was said before it's not the marker but the player that make you good. It's an advantage but it also requires skill and knowledge of the game. This past weekend I made a long time douche nugget reconsider his last angel purchase. Yup owned him the whole day with my T8.1. I mad it my mission to give him a hard time and people loved it. I was almost temped to pull out old faithful but I wanted to make a point just because you have the best of everything doesn't make you a good player. Once the intimidation factor is lost you are left with another player on the field.

But I find myself hovering over that add to cart button once in awhile and contemplate the possibilities. But it's a never ending cycle. Once you get that new marker the next year you'll want the next best thing. My pockets aren't deep sooo I stick with what I have and what I'm comfortable with, if it's not broken don't try fixing it, and upgrade and mod what I can. It may sound cheap but when old tech can keep up with some of the new stuff out there it makes me feel good. :tup:
If you see my shadow it's already too late.

#44 User is offline   Mehphisto 

• JUST A SMALL TOWN GIRL
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:00 PM

View PostLocknpump, on 18 January 2011 - 09:42 PM, said:

Most 1000$+ guns look more awesome, and lets be honest, if the guns looked like pipes with air attached the game wouldn't be the same...technically there are minor diffrences but in the long run it comes down to the combination of looks and feel to make the player comfortable and confident with his marker.

Posted Image
Damn it feels good to be a gangster.

ELITESPORTS OT
The only original OT team

#45 User is offline   maniacmechanic 

• maniacmechanic
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MANIAC MECHANIC

Posted 07 March 2011 - 06:16 PM

View PostEskimo, on 31 December 2010 - 08:12 PM, said:

Gun whores are speechless with this thread, lol.

Ha I just found & read this thread
" It may be ignorance, but what is the point of own a paintball gun that costs over $1000? " A quote from the OP , now I may have missed it , but I don't think anyone came up with the real answer ; It's because we are men & we want it , the trick is making a marker an investment ; I have 3 over 1K guns , 1 or 2 more that are real close to that , the 1st 2 were built around 03/04 , the other is built on an 04 body , I'm refering to 2 X Mags & a Valhalla Viking , the close to 1K ones are custom E Mags
The really cool thing is , if I chose to sell them , I could get what thier worth , the New Model stuuf you can buy for half price in 2 years

The Next BIG Question is , Why do I own over 20 paintball guns ???
Hank Emery aka maniacmechanic
Team MIXXED BREED
port st. lucie fla originally from West (BG) Virginia
ALL I own are MAG'S , AKA's & a Pump or 2

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users