#1 User is offline   blackrain 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:blackrain's aftermath

Posted 15 March 2011 - 10:08 PM

Update:

14 March 2011:

New freak front is on the way. Nice red one.

13 Mar 2011:

Spoke with Duce. Said that reg has never been apart lol. Said it did drop off evey once in a while :rotfl: No matter, I can't believe what an idiot I was to never notice this. Maybe this was a Mon,Weds or Fri reg. :rotfl:

12 Mar 2011:

For some reason. IONs are just not my gun,but I'm going to make this work,even if I have to destroy this gun :rotfl:
Iam switching over bodies, from Shocktech CSS body to Deadly Wind O Negative Body.

I couldn't get the Shocktech body to quit leaking so decided to go in new direction Also I don't own anything from Deadly Wind. I know it's the body that is the issue,not the gun,because it shoots just fine with the stock body on.

11 Mar 2011

I have ordered new hose from GoG. This gun really needs to get shooting.

This will be a project in progess. I'll add and subtract as this turns into something better.

You will see alot of the same pictures that I have used on the VIBE an SP1 project. They are already taken and they can be recycled into may projects.

I bought this ION from DUCE a while back. I had an ION when they first came out,but never played with it or shot it. Just didn't appeal to me at the time.

So a few moths back,DUCE had a sale. I figured $80 was a good deal. It shot out of the box,but then I started having problems. Talking with people who owned IONs, it sounded to them like the board. "Great" I thought and Smart Parts went under. Oh well eventually I'll find a new stock board on ebay real cheap.

Well I put the ION away and kind of forgot about it till SP resurfaced as GOG:

WWW.GOGPAINTBALL.COM

Excellent now I can buy a refurb board. Well guess what,it wasn't the board,it was the regulator. After using my vibe regulator,I realized the issue. Well now I have a back up board.

The new Board:

Posted Image

The ION now has a WGP regulator,which works perfect.

Posted Image

However I am not going to rebuild the stock regulator.

HMMMMMMMMMMM wonder why? They are a waste of time and I'm not going to keep fighting FPS fluctuation.
No biggy,now I had a reason to rebuild and use the WGP reg I had laying around :D

Posted Image

So flash forward to November 2010. I score a raw Shocktech ION body for $35 shipped on ebay.

Posted Image

Now I'm in business to get this ION looking the way I want. I have always liked this body style and always wanted one. That was soon to change. I have had nothing but problems with this body. It blows air everywhere.

So I get frustrated and change all the orings and relube the whole gun. Same issue. Now I'm pissed. SO off to the internet and I go to the Deadly win store and pick up a "Negative Body Shell W/BOB"

This body has some Beautiful lines! At $40 I had to jump on that deal. It's going to be red,which will go perfect with black. Maybe I'll have the whole thing reanodized. I hope they are in stock. Then again look what happened last time I bought a $35.00 body.

Here's a picture from their site. I'll post up more when I get mine.:

Posted Image

Since this body is a rear bolt removal,the BOB cap takes the place of the factory doughnut.I'll post up more pictures once everything arrives.

Posted Image

Oring replacements:

Yep Oring Monkey is my sponsor,so no shortage of Monkey Poo and Orings.

***Oringmonkey.com Oring Kits Paintball Marker O Ring Kits***

Posted Image

Detent replacement:

I really like these TechT detents,very simple to install.

Posted Image

The factory stock ones looked just like this,only worse.

Posted Image

Hose replaced

Freak Back:

This is the official one that will be used on this particular gun. I'm bidding on a red freak front now on ebay. Hopefully I'll win it and I can match the tip with the gun body.

Posted Image

Freak front:

Just won this on Ebay. This will hopefully go very well with the new Deadly wind body.

Posted Image

The Frame, the almighty secret metal it contains:

I read about the frame yrs ago and was wondering what the issues were. I heard everything from cheap aluminum to powder coat to cheap pot metal. So off to the ION owners group:

http://www.ionowners.com/index.php

This is what I found. The info I needed and what to use to remove the powder coating:

http://www.ionowners...ead.php?t=20247

I imagine once it's stripped and cleaned up with a good buffing it will work out just fine. Well to be honest,blackrain doesn't believe half the stuff I hear floating around the rumor mill on paintball forums,until I see proof or I do it myself.

So here are the finished pictures. This was a fun project and I enjoyed it so much that I'm building another. Just a parts ION. Hopefully the Shocktech body will be okay and I can build an even nicer one. Rebuilding with out a manual and just asking questions only adds to frustrations,but it makes it more fun.So for now here are the pictures.

Gun completed:

Nothing special,but it works and shoots. I have yet to play with it. Believe it or not the Reds actually match. Only flaw is the scrape at the barrel tip. For the price I paid for the Freak Tip I can't complain.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Later,
Blackrain :drool:

This post has been edited by blackrain: 10 April 2011 - 11:19 AM

#2 User is offline   blackrain 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:blackrain's aftermath

Posted 10 April 2011 - 11:22 AM

Ion project complete.
Later,
Blackrain:)

#3 User is offline   Orpackrat 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Orpackrat

Posted 10 April 2011 - 11:26 AM

Very Nice.

#4 User is offline   Benaiah 

• If you dont get it, youre Sofa Kingdom
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Benaiah2320

Posted 10 April 2011 - 03:52 PM

sweet. If only that reg was the same red....
2 Samuel 22

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users