Special Ops Paintball: Special Ops Custom Vest - Dagger - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Special Ops Custom Vest - Dagger Initial impressions with review and pictures later

#1 User is offline   JKR 

• My presence foretells death...I am Wraith
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:WRAITH_

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:28 AM

I recently ordered a custom vest from Spec Ops following the receipt of some gift certificates at Christmas. I wanted to give everyone a brief history of the process and my initial impressions of the vest. I will endeavor to add more to this thread in the future (including some pictures for those about to tell me "this thread is worthless without pics!")

I ordered my custom Dagger-style vest on December 26, 2007. About two days after ordering, I decided to change the name tag on the back. I emailed Spec Ops asking if it was too late to change it. They said it would be no problem to change it and my vest came with the correct name tag - no problems here. About three weeks after ordering, I decided to call on the status as I had a game coming up. When I called, I was told that they had no Multicam material and that it would be another couple of weeks before they had it. No email or call prior to this to give me a heads-up that there was a problem...sort of a bummer but whatcha gonna do? Can't blame them too much if a supplier isn't coming through with material. Another week or so passes and still no material. I decide that I should have probably ordered OD instead of Multicam anyway. A call to customer service and an email to Coroner and the order is changed to OD - goes with any camo that way!

Came home on the rainy evening of February 12, 2008 to see a box from Spec Ops at my doorstep wrapped in a plastic bag. Not sure if that was done by the shipper or by Spec Ops but I was glad to see it bagged as the box would have been soaked through. I tore into the box later in the evening after the kids were in bed. Overall, I was impressed with the vest's construction. It seems to be well made and after the necessary adjustments to the straps, it fit well. I must say that the way the vest is made that it would fit a WIDE range of body sizes. I am a fairly hefty guy and it has PLENTY of strap left over for someone bigger than me. I must say that the comments about the Dagger's not fitting small people very well might be warranted.

The vest wasn't without problems, however. I ordered 4 + 2 vertical pod holders and although I got four vertical pod holders, it was missing the "+2" and has no elastic straps for the additional pods. It would have been nice to have the extra capacity if needed but I don't go through alot of paint. Although I am disappointed, I don't think I will be sending it back because of this.

I also ordered the vest to the new Dagger 7 specs. I got the velcro tabs on the sides for taking up the excess strap material, but the water bladder holder is made like the older vests - mesh inside the vest instead of an integral pocket. Minor gripe but still isn't what I ordered...

Lastly, I ordered a Sabre-spec'd 8" x 8" zipper pocket on the front of the vest instead of a grenade pocket and paid an additional $15 to do so. The vest came with the pocket but it doesn't have an elastic strap inside as mentioned in the product description of the Sabre vest. Yes, another minor gripe but again, it isn't what I ordered...

Although the vest will serve me well, I am a bit disappointed that the above three issues and feel that my $170 should have got me a vest EXACTLY as I ordered.

As to how it performs in a game and holds up, well this thread is to be continued...

Related thread...
http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index...howtopic=139536
AIRGUN DESIGNS
"Because quality shoots straight...always"

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company."
-- George Washington

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/feedbac....html#post91505

#2 User is offline   swede 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 21 February 2008 - 02:48 PM

Sorry to hear that you were missing some features. Have you called and talked to them about it?
I am in the market for a custom dagger vest, and this makes me a little worried! I was planning on ordering it in multi-cam with a 4 + 2 (no tank) configuration. But I want the new style! Besides the bladder pouch, was the rest of the vest built in the new "7" style? Did you happen to get a grenade pouch on one side? How many do they add per side? The pre-built vests show one pouch per side, but when you go through the vest builder, it shows two pouches. I wrote and asked them, but i got "you can have two if you want" for an answer.
If you could post some pics, that would be great!
Thanks...

#3 User is offline   JKR 

• PipPipPip

Posted 23 February 2008 - 10:25 AM

swede...

It appears that besides the bladder pouch, it is made to the Dagger 7 specs. I have the velcro on the side straps to take up the excess material and the profile of the vest is the same as the Dagger 7 shown in this thread...

http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index...howtopic=133632

No grenade pouches on my vest...sorry.

I sent Coroner and email on 2/14/08 and mentioned the issues with the vest. I didn't request a reply and hadn't received any response as of yesterday. I was expecting at least a "sorry, man..." or something. I have been thinking of returning it now and called yesterday. The dude I talked to suggesting shooting off an email to MOATI so I did.

I still haven't made up my mind if I will send it back. I have read that the "+2" elastic straps are kind of worthless for getting your empties back in and I seriously doubt if they would get much use. Although, it would definitely be nice to have them there if I need them.

Not too worried about the bladder pouch. I seriously doubt that it would help much with the water warming up from the surrounding temps and body heat. Plus, the mesh pocket would likely dry out better.

Elastic in the pocket...sort of bummed about that one too. It's a pretty big pocket and it would be nice to have something in there to keep stuff from bouncing around.

Dunno...

I'll try to get some pics up soon.

This post has been edited by JKR: 23 February 2008 - 10:25 AM

AIRGUN DESIGNS

-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company."
-- George Washington

#4 User is offline   swede 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 25 February 2008 - 01:19 PM

I would give them a few days to respond. They are usually pretty swamped!
If you aren't happy with it, send it back and have them fix the problems. You spent a lot of money and you should have gotten what you ordered. I have always had good customer service from them and I'm sure they would make things right (I'd be surprised if they didn't!).
I am going to go ahead with my order. I know it will take a while (especially if they are out of the multi-cam material) but I'm not in any hurry.
If you decide to send it back to get fixed, let us know how it goes.

Good luck and thanks for the info!

#5 Guest_MOATI_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 25 February 2008 - 01:27 PM

I received your e-mail (you should have a response in your mailbox). Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

To make a long story short...I want you to have what you asked for...so...we are doing up a new vest made to your specs. It will shipped out ASAP. Please keep the other vest as well.

I apologize for any inconvenience and I want all of our customers to be happy.

#6 User is offline   JKR 

• PipPipPip

Posted 25 February 2008 - 07:43 PM

MOATI,

I am impressed by your gesture. I sent you a reply back via email.

swede,

I really think you will be happy with the vest. Yeah, mine had a few problems. However, as you can see they do want to take care of their customers.

Oh, and I promise - pictures are coming!
AIRGUN DESIGNS

-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

-- George Washington

#7 User is offline   JKR 

• PipPipPip

Posted 25 February 2008 - 09:08 PM

Here is a picture of the vest from the back...

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/gallery/data/5...ed_IMG_0674.jpg

And from the front...

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/gallery/data/5...ed_IMG_0673.jpg

Of the water pouch/bladder holder...

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/gallery/data/5...ed_IMG_0676.jpg

And finally, of the 8" x 8" pocket with a quarter inside for size reference...

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/gallery/data/5...ed_IMG_0675.jpg

I'll put it through it's paces soon and let you all know how it does. I am looking forward to getting out there with my Spec Ops vest!
AIRGUN DESIGNS

-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

-- George Washington

#8 User is offline   swede 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 26 February 2008 - 10:03 AM

WOW!
That's really great of you, MOATI!

See what I mean by their customer service!

I ordered my custom dagger vest yesterday. I had to get O.D. as they are no longer offering multi-cam - too many problems with the material supplier. Oh, well. O.D. goes with everything!
I will try to post some pics when it gets here.

Thanks for your pics, JKR. It looks great.
I can't wait for mine!

-swede

#9 User is offline   mrwaterbuffalo 

• still lives with his parents
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:mrwaterbuffalo

Posted 26 February 2008 - 05:34 PM

Thats awesome MOATI! Thats what I call good business practice

Anyway, I've used my vest many a time, and I love it.

I guess they must have been busy when you ordered though, cause mine had no problems what-so ever
Still misses DoN ;_;
All my friends are mods now

#10 User is offline   JKR 

• PipPipPip

Posted 27 February 2008 - 09:04 PM

View Postswede, on Feb 26 2008, 10:03 AM, said:

WOW!
That's really great of you, MOATI!

See what I mean by their customer service!

I ordered my custom dagger vest yesterday. I had to get O.D. as they are no longer offering multi-cam - too many problems with the material supplier. Oh, well. O.D. goes with everything!
I will try to post some pics when it gets here.

Thanks for your pics, JKR. It looks great.
I can't wait for mine!

-swede

I am VERY impressed with their customer service. I never even thought about them making up a new vest and mailing it out - I assumed I would have to mail it in to have the corrections made. In fact, in an email to MOATI, I even suggested that after his generous offer because it feels weird getting that big a freebie out of this situation. He maintained his offer...quite a stand up guy! I know shipping it back and taking the time to rework sometimes gets expensive but wow, just to up and offer to make it right with a new vest and keep the one already shipped...just awesome.

I definitely will be giving them future business after this. Anyone reading this thread who may hesitate based on my issues, don't give it another thought. Spec Ops obviously wants to take care of their customers.
AIRGUN DESIGNS

-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

-- George Washington

#11 User is offline   JKR 

• PipPipPip

Posted 05 March 2008 - 09:30 PM

I received my new vest this evening and it is exactly as specified in my original order. Dagger 7 specs throughout the vest and everything is as it should be. Thanks again MOATI for your exceptional customer service! :P

The build quality on the new vest is top notch - just as the original vest I received. I expect to use and enjoy them both for some time to come.

I fully intend on putting my vests into play very soon. The weather here in WV is pretty lousy this time of year and hopefully I will get out soon when the mud, rain and cold temps aren't quite so bad. When I do, expect to see more info and/or picture updates and a field review on the vest.
AIRGUN DESIGNS

-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

-- George Washington

#12 User is offline   JKR 

• PipPipPip

Posted 06 April 2008 - 05:21 PM

Yesterday was my first day on the field with my Dagger-style vest. I used the first vest I received with 4 vertical pod holders that does not have the "+2" as I knew I wouldn't need to carry that much paint. I was impressed with the vest and it's performance and have a few thoughts on it.

First, having not worn a vest before and only had a two pod holder attached to a belt, the extra baggage will take a little getting used to. When sitting on the field while waiting for a game to start or during the game while moving to take position, I found that the pods in the back will take some time to adapt to. When I sat, I kept finding myself in a position where the pods were digging into the ground. Not the vest's fault at all - just will take me a little time.

Second, the elastic internal belt is wonderful! When I tightened it up, the vest stayed in place and did not move around much at all when I ran. There were a couple of times I really did forget that I had the vest on. Granted, I didn't have any water in the pouch and was only carrying two 140 round pods for the low-turnout walk on games yesterday but it was still very comfortable. Just a side note on the elastic belt. My first vest has an elastic belt that has much more adjustability to it that the second vest (fully Dagger 7 specs). Granted, I could stand to lose a few inches from my 38 in spare tire but the vest's belt just has little adjustability as compared to the first vest I received with the mesh water pouch pocket (aka old Dagger style).

Also, I found the pockets to be easily accessible and perfectly positioned on the front of the vest. Getting into both pockets was quick and easy after a short adaptation to the zipper closure on the 8" x 8" pocket. I removed the radio pouch and the ID holder on my first vest as I am going to use it for recreational and walk-on play. The second vest will be reserved for larger games where I need to carry more paint and need the radio and ID pouches. I found that by removing the radio pouch and the ID holder that the strap going across the front on my chest had nothing to keep it in place. I have since put some small caribiner style clips on the strap and through the MOLLE loops on the suspenders to keep it in place. It also gives me a place to hang my goggles between games that way!

The OD green goes very well with my Multicam ACU pants and shirt. I am very pleased with my decision to switch to OD green (although reading the status on Multicam material, it would have been a necessity anyway!).

I had no problems shouldering my 'gun or moving around while playing. I was concerned that my mobility might be hampered and aside from the above mentioned issue with sitting with the vest on, I found it to be very comfortable in all respects. I can tell for sure, however, that my back will be sweating a great deal in the heat of the summer this year! Even yesterday with the temperatures in the low to mid 60s, my back was very hot after playing with the vest on. That should be expected, however considering the design of the vest and came as no surprise.

Well, that is it for now but I do plan on making future updates. I am very pleased with my vest and will be using every day of play. I am looking forward to really loading down a vest with a full load of paint and water and see how it feels then!
AIRGUN DESIGNS

-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

-- George Washington

#13 User is offline   JKR 

• PipPipPip

Posted 18 July 2008 - 10:24 AM

Well, two more games under my belt with the Spec Ops vests and I am very glad I made the purchase. I had used a Camelback when bike riding in the past and having water on you while playing paintball is very nice. There have been many occasions in the past on long games that I wished I had water with me before. The webbing on the straps offer an excellent point to which to secure your water tube.

I have used both the first vest I received and the second "Dagger 7 spec" vest in the field. While both are comfortable, the lesser adjustability of the elastic belt in the "Dagger 7 spec" vest is an annoyance. I don't know if it is just my vest or the nature of the design itself. Nonetheless, I may use it as a motivational tool to try and drop some of the excess baggage that has found its way to my body in my years sitting behind a desk!

Both vests are extremely comfortable in the field and securely keep your gear where it should be. I have gotten used to the zipper pouch (ala the Sabre) that I had put on the vest and it affords a good amount of storage space.

Having used the water pouch on the older Dagger vest and the new Dagger 7 design, it is a toss up really as to which is better. The integral design of the Dagger 7 pouch should offer a longer period of cold water reserve but in reality I doubt it does much. Both designs hold the water bladder securely which is really all anyone cares about.

Other than the somewhat short elastic belt on the Dagger 7 vest that I own, I have no complaints and feel that it is a good investment. Yes, they are pricey but the quality is good and functionality is high.
AIRGUN DESIGNS

-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

-- George Washington

#14 User is offline   JKR 

• PipPipPip

Posted 29 October 2008 - 06:48 PM

Update on my experiences with my Spec Ops vest...

On 10/18/08 and 10/19/08, I played in a scenario game (Bearclaw in Fayetteville TN) and used my Dagger-style custom vest - the 4+2 model (Dagger 7 specs). The vest didn't let me down, even in the slightest. It was comfortable to wear throughout the entire two days of play. I carried as much paint as it would hold and did find the "+2" holders difficult to access. Putting them back in was a major chore but as I gain experience in getting the "feel" for using them, I hope my speed at putting my empty pod back in improves.

I really like the Sabre-style pocket I had put on the vest. It is big enough that I can carry a fair amount of stuff in it and rarely feel like I need more pocket space.

I have been and continue to be pleased with my vest. It still gets a hearty recommendation from me for anyone looking for the harness style vest.

Here is a pic of me in action with the vest on...

http://www.nitropaintballga.com/wp-content...el/IMG_7257.JPG

Justin
AIRGUN DESIGNS

-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

-- George Washington

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users