Posted 19 December 2006 - 08:43 PM
Well, I finally bought all of the supplies except for the paint, so I decided to try them out. My first problem was the water (best to try with water first) squirted out the gap instead of into the tubing. So, I mananged to fix that with a tighter grip. Next problem was that the water stayed in the front of the tubing instead of going to the end, which I fixed with some careful squeezing.
I finally managed to get in maybe 6-7 ounces and had it clamped with these lame plastic grip/clamp things that come in a bag of like 15 with different sizes. I then went to get some washers, but for the life of me could not get them on the tubing, even when it wasn't folded. What in the world was wrong? You people must have given me false information. Or, maybe it was the fact that I apparently bought 7/16" and 1/2" washers, with those measurements being the outer diameter. Gah! So, not one to give up on something like this when I'm supposed to be studying or something, I made my own washers out of the black zipties I had purchased. I wrapped it around the folded over piece of tubing, zipped it somewhat loosely, put the cotter pin through and under the 'washer', and there it was. A hideous but apparently effective grenade.
So, first test: Tossed the grenade into the tub, but nothing happened. Amazing! I found out my 'washer' had been too tight. So, I got it off and let it spray. That's quite a bit of pressure...
Second test: Filled another one, this time with somewhat more water (in the same piece of tubing), and this time made a 'washer' beforehand and slid it on. After the cotter pin went in, it came back out, and was tossed in the tub. The grenade hit the tub and spun very violently or something, because I could barely see what it was doing, but heard a lot of noise and felt water come over the shower doors. Yay!
Third test: Complete failure. Not enough pressure or something, and I managed to spray it everywhere when trying to fix it.
Fourth test: Who knows. It's sitting there in my bathroom, waiting for me to throw it.
My hints for filling:
Brace it carefully. Have the tubing way up the syringe tip thingy. Use multisized plastic clamps from a bag of clamps (lmao, you'd be surprised how well they can work). PRACTICE WITH WATER BEFORE USING PAINT, sheesh.
So, in conclusion, absolutely amazing design. It's far from fool-proof, but that's to be expected when making grenades. Also, once you get down the filling procedure, you can fill them very fast.
Thanks for the wonderful instructions, and hopefully I'll have some more data/whatever put up when I make some more with paint.
Also, sorry if there are some terrible spelling errors. I don't feel like checking my spelling, as I have to go procrastinate some more.