Special Ops Paintball: The Ultimate Guitar/bass Topic - Special Ops Paintball

Jump to content


  • (59 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • 17
  • 18
  • 19
  • 20
  • 21
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

The Ultimate Guitar/bass Topic

#271 User is offline   snappyT 

  • Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 11
  • Joined: 25-May 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Arkansas
  • Brigade Name:SNAPPYT

Posted 31 May 2008 - 08:37 PM

View PostTora, on May 28 2008, 11:47 AM, said:

Gibson or epophone?
American strat or mexi (not squire)
I own a mexi fat strat HSS humbucker and two singles strat and am very pleased with it.
Have you ever played and SG standing. If you have then you probably noticed the lack of balance.
This gets quite annoying.
The strat HSS is more versatile than the SG sound wise because you have five different pick-up configurations. BUT, the SG does have a nice sound.
Ask if you need more help.

Tora

Ephiphone SG...and actually, the Squier Strat. Im mostly a bass player (wanting to buy a new Squier jazz bass as well) and Im trying to get into guitar. As you can (obviously) tell, Im tryin to get good sound at a low price. I was looking through zZounds (my main place to buy all my music crap) selection and these two stuck out from the crowd.
I liked how the SG was only about 180 (not to mention the looks), but they had a Squier Strat package that came with everything i need (like an amp) for only 250-300 dollars... so im STILL torn lol
whats so bad about the Squire and what's so great about the fat Strat?
0

#272 User is offline   snappyT 

  • Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 11
  • Joined: 25-May 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Arkansas
  • Brigade Name:SNAPPYT

Posted 01 June 2008 - 04:16 PM

I forgot to mention, I also found a Squier Fat Strat package for about $230. Im not so sure about the difference between the two (normal and fat) so if you could tell me that too it would be VERY appreciated.

Which brings up another question...is the Precision Bass (P-Bass) or Jazz Bass (J-Bass) better suited for rock?
0

#273 User is offline   Philipp122 

  • Senior Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,140
  • Joined: 10-November 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Georgia
  • Brigade Name:Philipp122

Posted 01 June 2008 - 05:26 PM

Well, despite all the trash-talk Marshall MGs get, I played one, loved it, found a kick-butt deal, and bought one, all in a 3 day time period.

My friend has a Marshall MG30DFX. If you read online reviews, a lot of people say that they're bad. But I played it in person for a good hour and it's an awesome amp. It's plenty loud, and the sound quality and tone aren't bad at all. In fact, after some tweaking and playing with all of the effects, I got a beautiful lead tone that sounds a lot like Zakk's tone on Farewell Ballad. I was on the overdrive channel, using the treble humbcker on my Les Paul, with the reverb on 7 and the gain relatively low. I don't understand why it has such a bad reputation.

I also managed to get a good metal sound from it using a Zoom GFX707 effects pedal. I put it on overdrive, turned the gain to about 8, put the pedal on the distortion patch, and cranked up the distortion to about 9 on the pedal. I turned the volume up to about 6 and I was playing Cowboys From Hell by Pantera with a very good tone.

All in all, if you ever hear anyon trash-talk an MG, they don't know what they're talking about. The amp's tone isn't bad, it's plenty loud, it has some punch, it has decent reverb, and it's put together well. Of course the tone isn;t amazing and of course the effects aren't professional-sounding, but the amp is actually really good and versatile.

The amp is like a Smart Parts Ion. The people who trash-talk them only do so because they've heard others trash-talk them.
0

#274 User is offline   Voky 

  • Group: Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 401
  • Joined: 29-February 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Somewhere on some Planet
  • Brigade Name:TOP NOTCH

Posted 02 June 2008 - 07:14 AM

Would anyone happen to have a Taylor Big Baby for sale?
Lover of Chick-fil-A #1
PM me for a #
Alabamian #1
0

#275 Guest_InvisoSniper666_*

  • Group: Guests

Posted 02 June 2008 - 06:45 PM

Fender Jaguar bass
Red with white pick guard
4-string
sick sound
never heard a better sounding bass i love it i can play anything rock metal regge and gets the right sound. for those of you who dont know i can turn off and on my pickups for diffferent sound and i can adjust my treble and bass on the bass itself i can play one love by bob marley and then play Ride the lightning by metalica if you can find a better bass id like to hear its name and its sound

Attached File(s)


0

#276 User is offline   tubby ted 

  • stick it to the man
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 429
  • Joined: 24-February 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Issaquah WA
  • Brigade Name:tubby ted

Posted 02 June 2008 - 09:08 PM

I have a bass question. How do you get rid of that annoying rattling sound the strings sometimes make? What causes it? Is it the Bass? Strings? My techique?
"The speakers on the outside are a nice touch... soundtrack to the mayhem"-I.K.E
"Only someone too bloody stupid to tell the difference between a cat & a fish would ever join PETA anyway...." -The Stuntman
Music is like candy... You should always throw away the rappers
VIVA LA CHRISTMAS REVOLUTION!
0

#277 User is offline   Rattlesnake 

  • Klapperschlange
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 125
  • Joined: 08-November 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Smiths Station, AL
  • Brigade Name:{[D4]}The Rattlesnake

Posted 02 June 2008 - 09:52 PM

in case anyone remembers my last spill of gear, I updated...and I'll go ahead and give out ratings, 5 is highest

Guitars:
'02 Dean Vendetta I with DiMarzio Evo on the neck, and Evo II on the bridge, - **(w/o DiMarzio) *****(with DiMarzio)
'07 B.C. Rich Warlock Special Edition - ****(I just realized the guitarist from Five Finger Death Punch uses a stock B.C. V Special Edition...LONG LIVE THE RICHIES!)
and '07 Washburn X-Series - Strat Pro model - *****(neck-SC, mid-SC, bridge-Hum[I also "hotwired" the humbucker...its what Dimebag did to his axe's and scince he played Washburn...its really just flipping the pickup backwards])

Amps:
'06 Fender FM 65R, (solid state) - *****
'08 Orange 50 watt with cab, (tube) - *****
'08 Marshall JCM 2000 100 watt ([tube]waiting for funds to purchase slant cab) - *****
'87 Crate Vintage 2x12 with Naugahide cover(bet you guys havnt heard that one in a while!...I have the monster that came with it too...my cousin collects anything naug so...the amp didnt work...he slid it to me, and said "fix it, and keep it" and in the back was the little monster ^.^) and multiple built in pre-amps, and effects including Echo, Delay, Chorus, Fuzz Face, Rectifier, Cali, Modern Hi Gain, and British Hi Gain - **** (lowest but...its still my favorite, on, and off stage...)

Effects:
Rack:
Line 6 POD(old school) - *****
Korg Chromatic Tuner - ***** (pushed to Washburn, and Dean)
Marshall Chromatic Tuner - ***** (pushed to Rich)

Floor:
Morley Classic Wah - ****
BOSS Acoustic Simulator - *****
DigiTech Octavia - ****
BOSS Metal Zone - *****
DigiTech Metal Pedal - ***(yea only three...i use it like dime did...except, instead of Zack Wylde overdrive, and EVH overdrive for extra force...I use the Metal Zone to power house thru rythems, then Crank out the Metal Pedal for sheer force thru excruciatingly squeelied leads)
2 BOSS Digital Delays - ***** (I use two because their set on different wave frequencies....gives a Micheal Angelo Batio type noise, with only one axe)
BOSS Blues Driver - ***** (what...I play everything...)

oh, and SnappyT...I dont know what you play, but above all, I like my Washburn the best...With the hotwired humbucker, I can play anything, and do Buckethead/Mr. Bungle/An Endless Sporadic style genre changes very quickly...alot of songs I play, I havnt learned all the way thru, so on stage, I'm known for for "my" song called "beatletrucciskynagod"(The Beatles, John Petrucci, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Lamb of God)...Its called that because, my drummer will give me a fill lasting around one second, as I change my body language, and finger conection to play all of these songs, in this order, as one: "Come Together" "Damage Control" "Simple Man" "Now You've Got Something To Die For" Sweet Home Alabama" "Glasgow Kiss" and then what ever we decide on playing after that, while backstage, we do an "unplugged, and knee drum" rehersal, and give the crowd a curveball...last time, we ended up playing the end part to Puddle of Mudd's new song "Psycho"

the point of all that is that I play all of those styles, with the exact same tone as the original artists do, and the only way I can play that range is because of my Washburn...I would suggest putting forth a bit more cash for the Washburn, than a Strat, or Mexican Strat, because the Washburn's neck is a ton smoother, and unless your lucky, or get a Strat custom made to have a darkwood fretboard, you cant polish out the sandpaperyness...my only complaint is the same anyone has with these kind of guitars, which is the tuning issues that come with tremlo bridges...and unless you get a locking nut(which...by way of the great Yngwie Malmsteen's testing proves that it does keep your tuning...until it shatters a string, plus the fact that the head stock is the loudest part of the guitar so...you get zero resonation, which makes a guitar sound so awsome...) so unless your nut can lock, you'll have problems tuning her up, and keepin her there....but nut sauce will end that (or of course....pencil lead...also, you can buy saddles for your bridge that are made of aluminum, fused with Teflon its nice and slippery....that way then you dive, and come back up...minimal, if not any detune...just look up Teflon String Saddles on like google or summin, and see what happens)


CIAO!
0

#278 User is offline   Rattlesnake 

  • Klapperschlange
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 125
  • Joined: 08-November 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Smiths Station, AL
  • Brigade Name:{[D4]}The Rattlesnake

Posted 02 June 2008 - 10:15 PM

View Posttubby ted, on Jun 2 2008, 09:08 PM, said:

I have a bass question. How do you get rid of that annoying rattling sound the strings sometimes make? What causes it? Is it the Bass? Strings? My techique?


(sorry to all for the double post, but i didnt notice his question until after my first post so...)

i dont play bass, but im good at fixing things, and i have had friends teach me about whats wrong with their setup so i can fix it...so...ill give it a shot...

theres a few possibilities here so...

1: check to make sure all of the strings are properly placed in the nut, sometimes, especialy on a bass, the strings will not fall all the way into the nut, and cause rattleing, if this is the case, just tune doen the string(s) low enough to move them aside, and gently file out some of the walls of the nut...afterwards, make sure, it it very clean and there are no edged that could possibly break the string, or unwind the nickle binding, then place the string back into the nut, and retune

2: your string has jumped off the saddle, that fix sould be obvious...detune, throw her back, and retune

3 and 4: this one gets a little tricky because you asked if it could be your technique, and fixing problem 3 would possibly contour to your fretting technique, but alter your fingering technique (lord help me, at the inuendo's spread thruout these last two posts...) but fixing problem 4 could partial be solved by fixing 3, but also can give you finger pains on your fretting hand....so here we go...the problem....is your action....and not your stage persona, i mean how far do your strings sit off the fret board...if they look like a scale model of the Mackinaw Bridge then you might want to bring em down a tad so you dont have to push so hard, as your issue may be, that there is not enough pressure applied to hold out the not properly...if your pushing with all your might, and the only thing your doing is changeing the pitch of the not, but still getting that rattle, crank the action up a bit.......but before you go messing with action....do this...


the easy way to know if your action is too high, or too low, is to hit the highest note you can hit, on the low E...if it's really hard...your action is too high...if its easy, go down a few....now when you do this, its important that your looking at the neck/body connection area very closely, and from the side (like the angle you see when you look down while playing) if you go down 4 or 5 frets, and you start rattleing, you should be able to see the string touching the other fret bars...in this case, your action is too low...and if neither of these is the case you can go to your local guitar shop, or gunshops that work with pistols have these to...to improve accuracy, and handleing...anyways, go pick up a finger excercizer...their usualy yello, or blue, and the bottom fits in your hand while the top is sectioned into 4, springed parts(you can figure out the rest)


and just a reminder, if you do have to adjust your action, be sure to detune alot first, and when your done, make sure its perfectly level


hope all that helped!

This post has been edited by Rattlesnake: 02 June 2008 - 10:21 PM

0

#279 User is offline   Voky 

  • Group: Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 401
  • Joined: 29-February 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Somewhere on some Planet
  • Brigade Name:TOP NOTCH

Posted 03 June 2008 - 09:06 AM

My guitar rattles a lot. My bro said I either wasn't pressing down hard enough, or I wasn't closing enough to the ends of the frets.
Lover of Chick-fil-A #1
PM me for a #
Alabamian #1
0

#280 User is offline   Tora 

  • Yes, that is Barney. My Barney. No you can't have him.
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 628
  • Joined: 24-November 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:My mommy

Posted 03 June 2008 - 01:16 PM

View PostRattlesnake, on Jun 3 2008, 01:15 AM, said:

View Posttubby ted, on Jun 2 2008, 09:08 PM, said:

I have a bass question. How do you get rid of that annoying rattling sound the strings sometimes make? What causes it? Is it the Bass? Strings? My techique?


(sorry to all for the double post, but i didnt notice his question until after my first post so...)

i dont play bass, but im good at fixing things, and i have had friends teach me about whats wrong with their setup so i can fix it...so...ill give it a shot...

theres a few possibilities here so...

1: check to make sure all of the strings are properly placed in the nut, sometimes, especialy on a bass, the strings will not fall all the way into the nut, and cause rattleing, if this is the case, just tune doen the string(s) low enough to move them aside, and gently file out some of the walls of the nut...afterwards, make sure, it it very clean and there are no edged that could possibly break the string, or unwind the nickle binding, then place the string back into the nut, and retune

2: your string has jumped off the saddle, that fix sould be obvious...detune, throw her back, and retune

3 and 4: this one gets a little tricky because you asked if it could be your technique, and fixing problem 3 would possibly contour to your fretting technique, but alter your fingering technique (lord help me, at the inuendo's spread thruout these last two posts...) but fixing problem 4 could partial be solved by fixing 3, but also can give you finger pains on your fretting hand....so here we go...the problem....is your action....and not your stage persona, i mean how far do your strings sit off the fret board...if they look like a scale model of the Mackinaw Bridge then you might want to bring em down a tad so you dont have to push so hard, as your issue may be, that there is not enough pressure applied to hold out the not properly...if your pushing with all your might, and the only thing your doing is changeing the pitch of the not, but still getting that rattle, crank the action up a bit.......but before you go messing with action....do this...


the easy way to know if your action is too high, or too low, is to hit the highest note you can hit, on the low E...if it's really hard...your action is too high...if its easy, go down a few....now when you do this, its important that your looking at the neck/body connection area very closely, and from the side (like the angle you see when you look down while playing) if you go down 4 or 5 frets, and you start rattleing, you should be able to see the string touching the other fret bars...in this case, your action is too low...and if neither of these is the case you can go to your local guitar shop, or gunshops that work with pistols have these to...to improve accuracy, and handleing...anyways, go pick up a finger excercizer...their usualy yello, or blue, and the bottom fits in your hand while the top is sectioned into 4, springed parts(you can figure out the rest)


and just a reminder, if you do have to adjust your action, be sure to detune alot first, and when your done, make sure its perfectly level


hope all that helped!

It also might be the truss rod that that adjusts the concave of the neck
FEEDBACK

My momma raised me the be SHAMELESS!
0

#281 User is offline   Philipp122 

  • Senior Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,140
  • Joined: 10-November 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Georgia
  • Brigade Name:Philipp122

Posted 03 June 2008 - 01:26 PM

View PostVokyFan29, on Jun 3 2008, 12:06 PM, said:

My guitar rattles a lot. My bro said I either wasn't pressing down hard enough, or I wasn't closing enough to the ends of the frets.


youeither aren't pressing down hard enough, or your action is set too low. Raising it will make the strings a little bit harder to push down, so if it still buzzes or rattles after raising the action, you just aren't pushing down hard enough and should lower the action back to standard and practice a little more.
0

#282 User is offline   Tora 

  • Yes, that is Barney. My Barney. No you can't have him.
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 628
  • Joined: 24-November 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:My mommy

Posted 03 June 2008 - 01:26 PM

View PostsnappyT, on Jun 1 2008, 07:16 PM, said:

I forgot to mention, I also found a Squier Fat Strat package for about $230. Im not so sure about the difference between the two (normal and fat) so if you could tell me that too it would be VERY appreciated.

Which brings up another question...is the Precision Bass (P-Bass) or Jazz Bass (J-Bass) better suited for rock?


HSS stands for the pick-up configuration. Humbucker, single, single. A humbucker is a double pick-up that is well suited for rock and hi-gain tones. Humbucker=powerful and edgy tone. Single pick-ups have a dreamier glisten to them.
If you have a guitar center near you make sure that you check them out. I got over $750 worth of stuff for $600 including tax. :D
Their knowledgeable sales persons will help you find exactly what you are looking for. And they told me that if you decide within a month that this is not the guitar for you, that you can take it back and find the one meant for you :D
I love them!
Good luck, and like I said before, feel free to ask if you need any more help!
FEEDBACK

My momma raised me the be SHAMELESS!
0

#283 User is offline   snappyT 

  • Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 11
  • Joined: 25-May 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Arkansas
  • Brigade Name:SNAPPYT

Posted 04 June 2008 - 05:43 PM

Thanks alot Tora... you to RS.

I think now I'm going to get a Fender (not Squire :dodgy: ) Standard Stratocaster HSS. Now I'm back to the question that has kept me from ALOT of sleep...

Which is better... a Fender Standard Precision Bass (P-Bass), or a Fender Standard Jazz Bass (J-Bass)?
I have heard abunch of crap and good words about each of them, and now I can't decide; I was actually going to buy a J-Bass, but while looking for a awsome finish (ok, yes.. I'm one of those people that has a harder time deciding on the color than the bass) I came across the P-Bass, and I heard it was pretty awsome at old-school rock, modern rock and metal... which is what I was aiming for. But THEN I heard that the Jazz Bass could do that and MORE.
:wacko:
Lol this is my life. Help me out here!!
0

#284 User is offline   Tora 

  • Yes, that is Barney. My Barney. No you can't have him.
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 628
  • Joined: 24-November 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:My mommy

Posted 04 June 2008 - 06:01 PM

I'm not real great with basses but is would go with the standard precision bass.
I heard a lot of great things about it.
FEEDBACK

My momma raised me the be SHAMELESS!
0

#285 User is offline   Dusty Dee 

  • aka DIRT
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 41
  • Joined: 13-May 08
  • Location:Alberta, Canada
  • Brigade Name:DustyDee

Posted 04 June 2008 - 06:10 PM

G&L Tribute ASAT
Morgan DM Acoustic
Yamaha APX 6A
'71 Guild 12-String Dreadnaught Body
Squier Tele with humbucker in the neck position
Squier P-Bass
Fiddle
Mandolin
Yamaha DGX620 Portable Grand Piano
etc.

This post has been edited by Dusty Dee: 04 June 2008 - 06:17 PM

Dirt
That's pronounced Dirte

98 Custom
J&J Ceramic 14" barrel
collapsible stock
0

Share this topic:


  • (59 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • 17
  • 18
  • 19
  • 20
  • 21
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users