Special Ops Paintball: Thereís a soft side to the paintball champion - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Thereís a soft side to the paintball champion A good news article for once. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   CANYOUSEEME? 

• Non-forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Canyouseeme?

Posted 04 December 2007 - 04:18 PM

Last month Rancho Palos Verdes resident Brandon Shortís paintball team, Ironmen, won the World Cup 2007 in Orlando, Fla., against the Russian Legion. Team America took it all, as he expected.

Paintball is a full-time gig for Brandon, who teaches paintball clinics around the world, plays and practices with two teams and gets paid a salary.

"Itís given me every satisfaction I ever wanted. I made more friends doing it; bottom line is I just love doing it," Brandon said. "Itís given back to me more than Iíve even given to it. I get to travel around the world at 21 and do things and see things that I never even thought I could do. Iím just very fortunate to be doing this."

His mom, Gail, said the sport has kept her son on the straight and narrow, but mostly she said itís helped Brandon get through the loss of his father, David.

David was diagnosed with brain cancer a month after Brandon graduated from Peninsula High School in 2005. He put college on hold to help care for his terminally ill father.

"The last two years weíve done our best and we live with it," Brandon said. "It was a huge deal, but I had no problem being there."

"His dad was supportive of Brandon always from day one, because he could see the passion in Brandonís eyes," Gail said. "Through his dadís illness he always made his [father] feel like, ĎYouíre the Dad; Youíre in charge,í even though he was now taking care of his [father]."

Brandon cared for David during the day while Gail ran the family business. He helped with showers, shaving, bathroom duties and dressing him, said Gail.

"He didnít just stay home with him. He would take him to the beach.

He always said there was nothing more beautiful than his dad to be wheeled in a wheelchair with the breeze in his face [at] the beach,"

she said.

Brandon also took him to paintball practice, and "all the guys would make David feel like he was a part of the team," Gail said. "It really made me realize what [Brandon] was made of, and he never once complained."

At his fatherís eulogy Brandon wrote something that Gail recounts: "The last year of my dadís life we got the closest weíve ever been because it wasnít about work or school or sports. It was about my mom, my dad and me and down to the basics of loving each other Ö it truly became just about the three of us doing the simple things."

Gail continued, "For the last 11 months of my husbandís life Ö It was truly about what Brandon said. It was the three of us."

Paintball Ďambassadorí

Brandon first played paintball at 15 at a friendís birthday party. Since then, he said, "it became like an avalanche."

Although it qualifies as an Olympic sport, paintball hasnít quite made it to those ranks, but Brandon promises the sport will be mainstream in the coming years.

He has goals for himself, including becoming the best paintball player in world and helping his team become the best.

"I want to become a true ambassador of the sport and I want to help [it] grow and become bigger than it ever has been," Brandon said.

Itís been four years since Brandon made the Ironmen team at an open tryout.

"The way the sport has evolved, you have to be a real athlete to compete at the top," he said. "You need everything from strength training, endurance to speed. From my perspective itís no different from tennis [or] soccer."

Brandon returned Monday from New Zealand and Australia after teaching two paintball clinics. He teaches everything from how to hold a gun to run while shooting.

"When you win, everybody wants you. People approach me through Myspace, e-mail and they ask me to do these clinics," Brandon said. "Right now Iím learning so much by seeing the world. My whole perspective has changed since Iíve traveled and gotten to see other parts of the world."

Gail said sheís happy Brandon has this passion in his life and that the experience has made him a responsible individual.

"Where is it going to lead him? I donít know, but right now heís making money and traveling," she said. "He took a little time off [of college] because itís been too much with traveling, but heís gonna go back and finish, he promised me that."

Brandon does remember that promise and said college is in his future, but for now his career is paintball.

"I know how life works and thereís always change Ö At this point in my life it would be hard to see myself walk away from it," Brandon said. "I [travel] like crazy. I

would never want to give that up, and then thereís the feeling I get [playing paintball] ó that I never want to give up."

Rock the Snake!
Bill, You made a mistake coming here to the internet paintball community. These people will not be put off, will not accept partial answers and will hold you accountable for everything you say. They are not your typical customer. Even through all the bickering and flaming, the collective consciousness of this community sits at nothing less than the genius level. They are the highest and best of what paintball has to offer. I have trusted and turned to them for years and they have allowed me to walk among them for which I am grateful.
Tom kaye

#2 User is offline   shadow_772 

• Never compromise, even in the face of armageddon
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Shadow_772

Posted 04 December 2007 - 05:15 PM

Nice read.

#3 User is offline   Trial 

• In the beginning, there was Jack...
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:TRIAL

Posted 04 December 2007 - 05:18 PM

That's sad...

I mean the brain cancer, not the paintball. :D

And positive reflections in the media of paintball is always good.

#4 User is offline   commando kyle 

• Feel free to salute at any time.
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Commando_Kyle

Posted 05 December 2007 - 12:17 PM

If you got this from somewhere, you really need to credit the source.
OIF '08 OEF '09-'10
Camo Bandits-"By Force and Valor"

#5 User is offline   Prodigy 

• Public Enemy #1
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:DavidP1013

Posted 05 December 2007 - 12:18 PM

View Postcommando kyle, on Dec 5 2007, 02:17 PM, said:

If you got this from somewhere, you really need to credit the source.

Yeah, if you don't, you'll get an F and be expelled...... B)
Team Krisis
You gas up the marker, put on the gloves, strap on the mask, and walk onto the field.. it doesn't matter that you failed a test, that your girlfriend broke up with you last night, or that you got a ticket on the way there...your world is right for the next couple hours, this is your heaven on earth... live it... love it..

How the hell could you stop me? Why in the world would you try? I go hard forever that's just how I'm designed, that's just how I was built.

#6 User is offline   commando kyle 

• Feel free to salute at any time.
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Commando_Kyle

Posted 05 December 2007 - 12:22 PM

*Counts slowly backwards from 10, takes deep breath.*

Now that my urge to smite has subsided, you need to credit people for their intellectual property. If you ever write anything of substance, you will appreciate the same courtesy.
OIF '08 OEF '09-'10
Camo Bandits-"By Force and Valor"

#7 User is offline   RaginCajun 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:TheRaginCajun

Posted 05 December 2007 - 01:43 PM

okay, found the source for ya'll: Palos Verdes Peninsula News

anyways ya, i'd just like to comment too that that was a great story, i wish more news would put paintball in a good light, but as he said in the article, paintball will be becoming more main stream in the near future, and so we can only hope that it will grow as big as possible, but then hopefully still stay the great fun sport we know now
Charging alone takes uncommon daring or uncommon stupidity. Or both.

#8 User is offline   maniac3641 

• Rabble, Rabble, Rabble
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 December 2007 - 01:45 PM

View Postshadow_772, on Dec 4 2007, 05:15 PM, said:

Nice read.

agreed, nice story
Member of New England Inferno
Sponsored By:www.affordablepaintballs.com
New England Inferno Team Thread

#9 User is offline   Prodigy 

• Public Enemy #1
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:DavidP1013

Posted 05 December 2007 - 01:47 PM

View Postcommando kyle, on Dec 5 2007, 02:22 PM, said:

*Counts slowly backwards from 10, takes deep breath.*

Now that my urge to smite has subsided, you need to credit people for their intellectual property. If you ever write anything of substance, you will appreciate the same courtesy.

I'm actually writing for a paper. But the point is your post had nothing to do with the actual thread, it was just getting in this dude's business for no reason. It's not like he said "Hey look what I wrote".

This post has been edited by Prodigy: 05 December 2007 - 01:48 PM

Team Krisis
You gas up the marker, put on the gloves, strap on the mask, and walk onto the field.. it doesn't matter that you failed a test, that your girlfriend broke up with you last night, or that you got a ticket on the way there...your world is right for the next couple hours, this is your heaven on earth... live it... love it..

How the hell could you stop me? Why in the world would you try? I go hard forever that's just how I'm designed, that's just how I was built.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users