Special Ops Paintball: PMC's :Mercenary players - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

PMC's :Mercenary players Freelance players for any side Rate Topic: -----

Poll: PMC's :Mercenary players (46 member(s) have cast votes)

Is this qualify as a position or team

1. Good Idea (14 votes [30.43%])

Percentage of vote: 30.43%

2. Bad Idea (15 votes [32.61%])

Percentage of vote: 32.61%

3. Already Been Done (14 votes [30.43%])

Percentage of vote: 30.43%

4. Unsure (3 votes [6.52%])

Percentage of vote: 6.52%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   BIGBOSS_202 

• BIGBOSS_202
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:BIGBOSS_202

Posted 01 January 2009 - 01:27 AM

Mercenaries have been used for war since before recorded history and today they are doing more and more combat realated roles in places like Iraq and Afganastan. Privite Military Contractors (PMC) are free lance solgiers who work in the privite sector and operate in combat zones or areas of conflict.
They prvide services in anything military related from security, logistics support, close protection details, combat training, and any other military related feiled.

As far as scenario games go, I see the role of PMC players as free lance players that will play for any side of a scenario conducting such tasks as protecting the generals, using the scenario vehicles to move supplies, or any other tactical or support role depending on the scenario.

As much as I am opposed to the real life role PMC's play in todays conflict or the continued ues of these mercenaries in modern colflict. We can't ignore the parts they play in it either. I will however admit that their is an alure to it all as far as being free lance doing that kind of stuff and would make for an intence and fun scenario game.

Let me know your feelings on this matter
JOIN THE WOODSBALL REVOLUTION

#2 User is offline   sipbgod94 

• proud pistol toter
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 January 2009 - 09:49 PM

Ha I find it a little funny that you're name and avatar both relate to the metal gear franchise and you're talking about PMC's but you enlightened me I thought that was all made up for the game. But anyway I don't think mercenaries are a realistic idea for scenario based on the fact that they are paid to do what they do and how is this going to be reenacted in a scenario or big game?
Resident Lax know-all, got a lacrosse related question ask here.

#3 User is offline   BIGBOSS_202 

• BIGBOSS_202
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 January 2009 - 10:11 PM

Glad you brought that up. I was thinking if the scenario gave credits for generals to use to get things like more air and paint or to hire these PMC players to deliver it or to preform some other combat function. It all depends on the scenario and who writes it as well as how reputable they are. So far I feel that it can work in theory

#4 User is offline   JackRock 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:JackRock

Posted 01 January 2009 - 10:20 PM

But that means the scenario producer now has to coordinate something new just because there's some new nebulous "position" on SpecOps.

No, this isn't a position. Mercenary isn't about a position you are when fighting. It's a philosophy, which helps some (misguided, imo) people decide on which side to fight.

But WHAT they DO is still the same. Heavy rifleman, sniper, commander, etc. All of the tasks you listed above are missions, not positions.
This is my sig. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My sig is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My sig, without me, is useless. Without my sig, I am useless. I must type my sig true. I must spell better than my enemy who is trying to judge me. I must type before he ridicules me. I WILL... My sig and I know that what counts in this forum is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the splatter we make. We know that it is the hits that count. WE WILL HIT... Before the Admins, I swear this creed. My sig and myself are the defenders of my forum. We are the masters of our enemy. WE ARE THE SAVIORS OF MY PROFILE. - Tippmann Owner #pi

#5 Guest_Origin_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 02 January 2009 - 12:22 AM

Not a fan of the idea. PMC's are used because of restrictions placed on the military. Mercenary's like those hired by blackwater are there so that we can get the poo done that we need to get done and not have to make the US look like war mongers, inhumane killers, or anything that could hurt them politically. There's no need to play politics in a paintball game. Every player out there can be rambo if they want. There's no limitations on being inhumane to your opponents. You don't have the rules of engagement that the real world puts on the troops. Because of this there's no need to pay billions of dollars to a select group of bad butts on the paintball field to take care of the dirty jobs that some people frown on. It's a fun idea to talk about, and throw it at your local field owner if you want to role play and pretend to be an elite merc that both sides will sell their soul to have on their team; realistically though it's not a position that could help add to the game at all.

My .02

#6 User is offline   Galen 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:#33

Posted 02 January 2009 - 07:30 AM

I think some thing like this was used during gobal conquest.

#7 User is offline   BIGBOSS_202 

• BIGBOSS_202
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 January 2009 - 10:11 PM

it's a nice story line though or a third side to a scenario game were they can either work for one side or fight both primary groups. it's all a matter of opinion but it's not really a position but more as a side to a conflict.

#8 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 January 2009 - 10:30 PM

My two cents,

Mercenaries as a position, forget it. It's not a position - it's a method or motive.

Mercenaries for complexity of a scenario, I'd be all for it, as long as it was properly defined within the rules and the scenario producer wished to implement it.

I've been to an event that had "mercenaries" before, and it worked out well IMO.
Member of Team Akkadian

#9 User is offline   Tommikka 

• Tom
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:tommikka

Posted 03 January 2009 - 03:27 PM

Mercenaries as a team have been very productive in scenarios I have played.

FLASHPOINT 2007 PODRAPHENIA:
Themed as a paintball vefrsion of Quadraphenia.
The player teams were MODs vs Rockers, (1950s scooterists vs bikers)
The local team (The Wild Geese) played the police and were invincible provided the chief of police was unhit.

The police acted as a semi mercenary. They 'kept the peace' at certain stages by ignoring 'inoffensive' players and intervening if firefights took place over certain times of the scenario. The services of the police could be bought for invincible fire support. My nephew made player of the day on his first big game by running alongside the chief of police when the rest of teh rockers in the area were hiding in cover.

FLASHPOINT 2006 was themed around an eastern european country heading towards 'democratic elections.
The two sides represented different revolutionary parties fighting for votes. Two small non player mercenary style teams were the UN and hte mafia. Additional nuclear and drug packages could be found to buy the services of the UN / mafia.
It was pretty good when 3 of us were able to buy the services of the mafia with our drug packages to hold an entire area of the site to gain points for the control of an area. Not so good after we had achieved holding the area for the specified time and the enire mafia stood up and walked off leaving just 3 of us behind to be assaulted by half of the opposing team. We were unceremoniously crushed.

If the scenario theme is appropriate and mercenaries have something special to offer rather than just be extra players to be bought they can be very successful in the game.

#10 User is offline   Violator 

• The Pirate King / Grammar Cop
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:The Violator

Posted 03 January 2009 - 09:51 PM

I've played a few games with the merc concept, and it seems to work well and add an interesting dimension to the game. Doesn't work as a "position" per se, but I suppose if you weren't on a team, showed up at a game and declared your allegiance to the highest bidder, you'd either be called a mercenary or get some strange looks. :(

I think it works best in a clearly defined scenario role, and if they are able to switch allegiance based on certain scenario conditions, it would make for a real interesting twist.
This, is my BOOMSTICK!-Ash... (395 Brownie Pts)...Where do you keep your Bucccaneers? Under Me Buckin' Hat!

Ever fire two guns whilst jumping thru the air? No. Ever fire one gun whilst jumping thru the air? No!

#11 User is offline   TheLeftHandofGod 

• If you die we're splitin up your gear
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:The Left Hand of God

Posted 04 January 2009 - 12:54 PM

Ive played the part of a merc in a scenario game before we were in a tank made from an old van and we took bids of who wanted what done and how much paint they would supply. It was only like 1000 rounds but we got to choose what missions we wanted to do. It was tight.

Shocker Owner #2
PROTECT THIS HOUSE

#12 User is offline   BIGBOSS_202 

• BIGBOSS_202
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 January 2009 - 01:13 AM

Happy to see that not all the replies are negitive.

#13 User is offline   BIGBOSS_202 

• BIGBOSS_202
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 January 2009 - 01:13 AM

Happy to see that not all the replies are negitive.

#14 User is offline   Marauder_Pilot 

• Thrilling Heroics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Marauder_Pilot

Posted 06 January 2009 - 12:11 PM

The thing is, like 99% of the crap that gets forced out of the metaphorical rectums of the player base, is that PMC isn't a 'position' in the vein of the other ones. All the existing positions, have clear, concise and differentiated jobs. Anybody could be a 'PMC'. Plus, it's the kind of thing that cannot physically be applied to the vast majority of games. This is a game mechanic in the odd scenario, not a position.

#15 User is offline   milsim berry 

• PUNISHER
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:MILSIM_BERRY

Posted 24 February 2009 - 10:27 AM

This thread is funny becuse I have tan bdu's with blackwater patch's on it

This post has been edited by milsim berry: 24 February 2009 - 10:27 AM

Christian paintballer
USMC Semper Fi
LOOKING FOR A TEAM
Posted Image