Special Ops Paintball: Question about ions in terms of scenario play and inclement weather. - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Question about ions in terms of scenario play and inclement weather.

#1 User is offline   chro 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 15 October 2008 - 07:31 AM

So I'm new to these forums (been on the brigade for a bit) and had a question/dilemma for all of you fellow SP/ Ion owners.

This summer I'm planning on going to Oklahoma D-Day (probably joining up with the 1st infantry) and it will be my first scenario game.

I currently own an ion that i have had for about 2.5 years now, and i love it. Good accuracy, never chopped a single paintball, and has only presented me with the problem of eating 9 volts :D

so here is the big problem, at OKDDAY I have heard they have major rain, high humidity, and all kinds of other water/weather problems. So question one: Do I have to worry about this ruining my Ion and/or

knocking me out of play?

the second part of my dilemma is that I want my ion to be more milsim and scenario friendly, and i was wondering A) if anyone knew where i could get the cheapest priced stock for an ion and :D what electronic

hopper has the smallest profile? (i currently have and evolution 2 'egg' hopper and about 4 out of 10 of hits against me are on the dang thing) and C) if anyone suggests the warp feed or q-loader how reliable are

they really? I cannot really afford having a q-pod break balls on me in the middle of a game :dry:

Thanks for your time!

#2 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 15 October 2008 - 07:45 AM

Your board is so stuffed up in your marker it'll be fine. Watch some speedball vids. Those guys slide marker first into mud puddles. I won't worry unless you drop it in a river or something.

#3 User is offline   vap0r 

• vap0r-
  • Pip

Posted 15 October 2008 - 08:11 AM

You should definitely be find playing in any weather. I just hope you don't plan on completely submersing youself in water! Don't worry about it!

As for a hopper... the q-loader and rip feed are both great alternatives for scenario play. They are typically quieter, don't use batteries, give you an open site because they are offset in some way, and lighter. For the Q-Loader, which I would definitely suggest, it is a matter of tuning the spring correctly. This takes some time to take care of, but if you do it BEFORE you get onto the field, you will never have a ball break in the loader. The fact that the Q-Loader holds only 100 rounds shouldn't damper your playing style with scenario ball either. Shoot accurate, not more! But I guess that depends on your position....

I actually have a 500 Round Q-Loader set for sell. I was selling the Blackcell Q-Bow kit as well, but I have an interested buyer right now. Let me know if you're interested in anything. If my buyer bails out I can give you a good price on the whole package!

#4 User is offline   a5rt15 

• Push 'em back
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:a5rt16

Posted 16 October 2008 - 08:23 PM

I've been to the last two D-Day events however I always use my Tippmann for the final day. If your going to join the 1st I.D. like I was in, I wouldn't advise using your Ion while trying to take Omaha Beach. This year it rained the day before the final event and the hill was a mess. My a-5 completely changed colors not to mention a couple of new scratches on the frame. Were guys using their high end guns, yes but they grips were cover with tap so nothing went wrong. If you really baby your electro guns like I do, bring a Tippmann along.

As for the hopper, I use the egg II and it sticks a bit too far back on my ion for my likes so I'm going with the halo next like a buddy of mine has. I've never been able to use a warp feed or q-loader so I have nothing to say on those.

Riot Kids Scenario Team

#5 User is offline   chro 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 17 October 2008 - 05:50 AM

Thanks for the info. Ive been looking at an a-5 and might go that route, off course i still have like 8 months till d-day to work things out.

#6 User is offline   Sneaky Sir 

• Studyin' my pump-fu
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Sneaky Sir

Posted 17 October 2008 - 11:20 AM

If you're going to go Tippmann as a cheap mech back up, I'd go into the B/S/T and find a 98 custom. You can find upgraded ones for dirt cheap, and it will also allow you to just slap your eggy on there w/o having to worry about a cyclone system.

#7 User is offline   RogueShooter 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:roguefaktion

Posted 20 October 2008 - 02:22 AM

I played outlaw ball in a tropical storm with my Ion, and several other rainy days and never had any issues other than paintballs swelling from moisture and causing slight jams every now and then. So I very much doubt you'll have any problems but a backup marker thats straight mechanical is never a bad idea.
"Use humility to make the enemy haughty. Tire them by flight. Cause division among them. When they are unprepared, attack and make your move when they do not expect it." - Sun Tzu, The Art of War
Jay, AKA Rogue... Chairman, Imminent Threat Scenario Paintball Team Proudly Sponsored By Urban Ops Paintball and Cousin's Paintball NJ

#8 User is offline   a5rt15 

• Push 'em back
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:a5rt16

Posted 24 October 2008 - 10:57 AM

I would still think of getting the ion first. It is balanced overall allowing you to play in the woods and speedball. I'm not saying the a5 can't but I think the ion is better in that perspective.

Riot Kids Scenario Team

#9 User is offline   pigtech 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 10 November 2008 - 08:52 AM

Paintballs are damaged far more easily by wet weather than electronics are. Most electronic paintguns can tolerate a surprising amount of water (to the point of even working underwater.)
Bill Mills, Technical Editor, WARPIG.com

#10 User is offline   Headshothoncho 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Josh Humphreys

Posted 17 November 2008 - 02:59 PM

I would still think of getting the ion first. It is balanced overall allowing you to play in the woods and speedball. I'm not saying the a5 can't but I think the ion is better in that perspective.
-A5rt 15-

Sorry I couldn't resist spoiling this for you: you cant play speedsball with an A-5... Well, not if you want to win.

Ok now back to the actual question- My advice, if it's raining, don't use your ion. Maybe some other people played with it in the rain with and got away with it, but I played with my Ion (God rest it's soul) in the rain about a month ago- and didn't get away with it. My board was fried and my eyes didn't work till I payed a guy $15 to fix them, not to mention my poor, poor Vlocity Jr... $65(it was used) down the drain... So basically-

PLEASE DONT PLAY WITH YOUR ION IN THE RAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I will get off my soapbox and leave quietly...

This post has been edited by Headshothoncho: 17 November 2008 - 03:01 PM

"...You are my enemy, and if I am going to die, I will take you with me."
View My Special Ops Brigade Page -Call of Duty 5, World at War-

#11 User is offline   -SMITTY- 

• one of the original 27,731 members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:-SMITTY-

Posted 17 November 2008 - 03:19 PM

you should be fine, but if you're worried bring a mech backup, like a 98 custom. I havent used my ion in the rain, so I can't be sure.

#12 User is offline   StealingYerMail 

• always throwin bass
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:StealingYerMail

Posted 27 November 2008 - 02:42 PM

View PostHeadshothoncho, on Nov 17 2008, 04:59 PM, said:

-A5rt 15-

Sorry I couldn't resist spoiling this for you: you cant play speedsball with an A-5... Well, not if you want to win.

Ok now back to the actual question- My advice, if it's raining, don't use your ion. Maybe some other people played with it in the rain with and got away with it, but I played with my Ion (God rest it's soul) in the rain about a month ago- and didn't get away with it. My board was fried and my eyes didn't work till I payed a guy $15 to fix them, not to mention my poor, poor Vlocity Jr... $65(it was used) down the drain... So basically-

PLEASE DONT PLAY WITH YOUR ION IN THE RAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I will get off my soapbox and leave quietly...

Actually, Tippmanns can rip. I would never suggest a Tippmann of any sort to someone getting into speedball, but Tippmanns can keep up with a lot of other markers... but the overall quality and performance just isn't there, not to mention their huge profile.

I think your Ion would be fine in the rain. While I use a Tac-One which is entirely mech, if I was going to an event like OK D-Day, I would use the marker I wanted to use. That scenario isn't going to be anything short of amazing, so I suggest you take your Ion out anyway. Might as well use your favorite marker for the game. Plus I think it would be fine. I'm not crazy about electros in general, so I've never used them in the rain, but I have used my Ricochet in snow and heavy rain and it was fine. And I haven't seen an electro go down from rain.

But I think your Ion will be OK. You could always tape it up if it worries you... I'm saving up for an Ego and OK D-Day, and when I make it there, I'll be rocking the Ego whether we're playing in pouring rain or in fair weather.

This post has been edited by StealingYerMail: 27 November 2008 - 02:43 PM

Maggot #53
MacDev 06 Cyborg, AGD Tac-One
Death before Smart Parts Feedback

#13 User is offline   AsphyxiateHeart 

• PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Invictus07

Posted 08 December 2008 - 02:07 AM

I took my Ion to Michigan's Monster game and fell in a sink-hole out in the swamp...My ion was completely submersed, it came up shooting fine, All I had to do was clean out my coil and I was good to go. From personal experience, the Ion can take the elements.
It takes a long time before you learn to play like yourself - Miles Davis

"We used to tell them in Outward Bound, when a parent would come and ask us, ["Can you guarantee the safety of our son, Johnny?"] And finally we decided to meet it head-on. We would say, ["No. We certainly can't Ma'am. We guarantee you the genuine chance of his death. And if we could guarantee his safety, the program would not be worth running. We do make one guarantee, as one parent to another. If you succeed in protecting your boy, as you are doing now, and as its your motherly duty to do, you know we applaud your watch dog tenacity. You should be protecting him. But, if you succeed, we guarantee you the death of his soul!"]" -Unsoeld

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users