• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Air Tank HPA tank too heavy Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   rightintheface 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:21 AM

Just picked up a PMR with an ultralight frame. Nice gun, lightweight, got a VL Evo III hopper on it which I really like...now I need the tank.
I ordered a steel 48ci 3000psi tank from SO, because it's all I could really afford. The plan is still to buy a lighter, smaller tank maybe after Christmas, but for now, I needed something workable. Problem is, it's SO heavy. Not so heavy i can't lift it, not so heavy I have difficulty with maneuverability, etc...just pain in the butt heavy. I lost that "super light" feeling I had when just holding the marker. I haven't field tested it yet (this weekend should be a good time) but I'm just concerned. The tank will be even heavier then....I don't want to have spent 600 some dollars and not have it kick butt.

Thoughts? Should I go remote? Since it's so big, should I just constantly use it as a stock, and try to run that way? Also-tank cover; worth using, or extra weight? I have one on there now just to protect the bottle.

Finally, WHEN I get the chance to get something new, what do you recommend? If I go carbon fiber, should I opt for like a 68ci 4500 tank? What do people think about peanuts (specific to dagger position)? What do you use?

#2 User is offline   Z3R0 

• Spontaneous Hate Machine
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Z3R0 (Sledgehammer)

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:28 AM

You could try getting a nice, big drop forward until you can get a carbon fibre tank. I also use a 48/3000 right now and want to upgrade to a 68/45, but I'll be using it with a Mag, not a PMR, so it might not feel as awkward for me.

-Z3R0
Posted Image
Lapco Grey Ghost 2008, Classic Automag, PM8, 06 Cyborg

#3 User is offline   blackraven64 

• What more do you want?
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:BlackRaven

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:32 AM

Get used to the weight.

48/3k tanks are pretty heavy but other tanks aren't going to be THAT much lighter.

#4 User is offline   rightintheface 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:46 AM

View Postblackraven64, on Aug 16 2007, 10:32 AM, said:

Get used to the weight.

48/3k tanks are pretty heavy but other tanks aren't going to be THAT much lighter.

Sounds like about the consensus. In terms of getting a drop, I don't mind the length, and I don't think the weight distribution is necessarily bad, it's just a bit heavy. Maybe I just got overexcited when I felt how light the gun was without the tank...

#5 User is offline   Z3R0 

• Spontaneous Hate Machine
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Z3R0 (Sledgehammer)

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:49 AM

Well if you don't think the weight is unbalanced then a drop won't help. I guess you just have to get used to the weight of the tank, then...

-Z3R0
Posted Image
Lapco Grey Ghost 2008, Classic Automag, PM8, 06 Cyborg

#6 User is offline   Steed 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:52 AM

Yeah unfortunately you went big on your marker and then cheaped on the accessories. There isn't much you can do with the weight issue except start snap shooting alot at home to get used to the weight. As far as future upgrades and tanks go, CF is the best option as far as weight my old 45/3k weighs about as much as my 88/45 cf tank and nearly twice as much as my 68, as far as size goes your looking at preference of fit and function. If your ok with the amount of shot you get with that 45 you just want to get a lighter tank but if you want like another 100 shots get a higher pressure if you want alot more shots start looking at 68.s.

#7 User is offline   Florentine 

• Group: Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 August 2007 - 01:22 PM

try different methods like
  • remote line
  • just use the tank as normal
  • drop forward

Hey baby, wanna come over to myspace so i can twitter your yahoo till I google all over your facebook?
Feedback

Becc: "I'm not really a vegetarian, I eat some forms of sausage."

#8 User is offline   rightintheface 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 16 August 2007 - 01:27 PM

View PostArmory, on Aug 16 2007, 10:52 AM, said:

Yeah unfortunately you went big on your marker and then cheaped on the accessories. There isn't much you can do with the weight issue except start snap shooting alot at home to get used to the weight. As far as future upgrades and tanks go, CF is the best option as far as weight my old 45/3k weighs about as much as my 88/45 cf tank and nearly twice as much as my 68, as far as size goes your looking at preference of fit and function. If your ok with the amount of shot you get with that 45 you just want to get a lighter tank but if you want like another 100 shots get a higher pressure if you want alot more shots start looking at 68.s.

Yep, you're absolutely right. After I dropped the money on the marker, the wifey got a bit miffed. I'm not a huge paint sprayer, so I figured a lower end loader wasn't a big deal; plus I like the Evo. That works nicely for me. Fast enough when I really need to suppress, but able to be a bit more economical on my pocket. The air tank really is just a starter, and I do plan to change it up ASAP. I'd really like a nice Dye tank, and by Christmas that's maybe an option. For now though, I'll just deal with the weight.

At the end of the day, I have a nice marker that will do a nice job shooting paint. I'm not going to gripe too much.

PS-The ultralight frame seriously made me giggle. I love the trigger feel on that thing. HUGE upgrade from the stock frame/trigger, and for only 25 bucks more!!!!!!

#9 User is offline   blackraven64 

• What more do you want?
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 August 2007 - 01:36 PM

Dye tanks aren't really the best.Especially for the price.

Crossfire and DXS are both better and cheaper alternatives.

#10 User is offline   Steed 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 August 2007 - 01:40 PM

Agreed Black, anything with Dye's label on it it typically $50 over priced, atleast, you're better off with a Cross Fire or DXS or even a Center Flag.

#11 User is offline   Bielerga 

• The Chemist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Seaspray

Posted 16 August 2007 - 01:46 PM

I will agree, for any daggers in the future don't get a steel tank. They are way to heavy and don't hold anymore air than co2 tanks. With a nicer marker you have to use HPA but you should plan for it in your budget.
I am an arms dealer, fitting you with weapons in the form of words

BLOOD FEST OCT 27TH HALLOWEEN BIG GAME Oh,IN,KY Teams

#12 User is offline   rightintheface 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 16 August 2007 - 07:38 PM

View PostBielerga, on Aug 16 2007, 01:46 PM, said:

I will agree, for any daggers in the future don't get a steel tank. They are way to heavy and don't hold anymore air than co2 tanks. With a nicer marker you have to use HPA but you should plan for it in your budget.

Yup. My mistake. Ah well. I spent some time doing snap drills this evening, and I feel better about the gun. My neighbors like it too...it's a little quieter as I screw around in my backyard.

Not as heavy as I thought when aired up.

#13 User is offline   Dark c 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Dark C

Posted 03 September 2007 - 10:02 AM

Do what I do just every time you get some free time put your tank and hopper on and just hold and do snap drills and stuff like that. It will help build up you muscles and you gun will still be heavy but you will be able to use it better.
DARK C

#14 User is offline   cjottawa 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 September 2007 - 11:58 AM

A drop will make a huge difference by concentrating the mass closer to the centre of the marker. Your wrist gets tired pivoting the marker because the weight of the tank is so far behind the marker if it's on a bottom-line ASA.

45/4500 tanks are available that are extremely lightweight. Do some research before you get one as there are certain brands that are several ounces lighter than others, perhaps through the use of carbon fiber.

Also consider going with a small hopper to bring your on-marker weight down. I'm a bit extreme in this area: I use a 50 round Winchester. (more like 65 rounds because I put a Dye locklid on it that adds some volume). You could look at a 100 round hopper though - something like the PBvirus or Sportshot. If you still want to "rip" you can hack them up and add the motorized guts from something like a Ricochet.

If you start combining all these ideas you'll find they make a big difference collectively. A tiny hopper would be the least expensive upgrade. A drop would be next (buy used) and the 45/45 tank would be most expensive. Do NOT get a 68/4500 if you're trying to cut down on weight... go 45/45.

This post has been edited by C.J.: 03 September 2007 - 11:59 AM

#15 User is offline   blackraven64 

• What more do you want?
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 September 2007 - 12:03 PM

I would stay away from the larger drops.

They really mess up your form.A small drop should be fine though.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users