Bob Long, J&J Ceramic eight piece barrel kit, Empire loader. It has a medium grey/dust gold basecoat overlaid with woodland brown/green scales. I did the red "claw rip marks" both before and after the snakeskin layer, which lends a "bleed" effect. :grin:
Ion XE chassis
Qloader (custom mounted, ultra low rise feed neck with elbow, matching 500 round system, milled feed tube guard)
Modified body (milled for screw access, carved synthetic ivory dorsal spikes)
Deadlywind Fibur 16" barrel
Carved synthetic ivory "snatch" fang
I call this one a "Dragonskin". job Gold base, green, lizard, black scales, matte clearcoat
My personal 98c, one of my first pieces with duracoat. I did a 30.06 rifle in the same pattern which turned out a little better due to more working surface and more experience with the masking material. This is using a heavy mesh material over a light base color to give a "snakeskin" effect. I added the Qloader and stock later, and tried a tigerstripe pattern.
Here she is redone with four matching Qpods.
She was overdue for a paintjob. The first one had been worn hard the first couple days after application, before it had a chance to fully cure so it had more wear than I like, and I'd added to it enough that it was a frankenstein pattern. My first impression was it was too light, but this is really growing on me. As you can see, it blends well enough, but completely obliterates any outline of the marker. The dark snakeskin on light tan background gives the illusion of filtered light through leaves and provides a very effective micropattern to offset the tigerstripe macropattern.
Base 98c chassis, internals polished and silenced, internally ported receiver, LPK with titanium hammer, maddman springs, milled receiver and rear sight, double trigger, SAW stock, RCII, palmer inline stab on remote, BT riser, red dot, J&J 14", custom mounted Qloader system.
It's a keeper.
Full tigerstripe MR1. This one was a lot of fun to do, and I think it turned out well. Looking back, I'd have preferred less uniformity and smaller stripes, resulting in better micropattern. Overall it's very professional looking and breaks up the outline superbly. The owner had filled the stock gap, and I applied the pattern over it.
Spyder Pilot ACS. The owner wanted something that would make the marker usable in the woods, covering the bright glow red anodize fade. Simple spray decrease. I also matched the olive drab to his mask. Pretty cool, but the fade actually wears off because the duracoat simply doesn't have any of itself to stick to.
Tippmann A5. I really, really like the look of this. The original A5 finish texture is kinda rough, which gives the duracoat loads of little grooves to "hide" in. Very simple one color paintjob (custom mixed olive drab), with all hardware in it's original black. This breaks up the outline by itself and lends quite a bit of versatility, but doesn't provide any macropattern. Nice military look. I think it would have been cool to leave the faux birdcage flashhider in black.
My most recent job. MR2 with a tigerstripe/snakeskin hybrid.
Here she is, parts just setting next to one another. This is pre-snakeskin layer, all non-final masking removed. I actually like the way this looks, but I can do better. No quitting just yet.
Final finish and assembly shot, left and right profile with all five Qpods. The left profile shows the Qpod's obligatory view stripe, while the mounting socket's view window is apparent from the right. Yes, it's supposed to be jagged. You'll notice I also left the Spyder logo on the red dot and the serial number under the feed elbow masked and unpainted ("Officer, someone stole my Snakeskin Tigerstripe Spider! Here's the serial number...").
The pictures don't do it justice. She looks like a ghost, and it has a depth most patterns don't. It's difficult for the eye to focus properly on her. You can see the "underbelly effect" on both pics, but the snakeskin makes it more subtle. I also used a jagged line on the snakeskin layer, which obscuring it further.
The color palette came out more green/grey than I the tan/brown was shooting for, but it works well. Arid MARPAT boonie for comparison. It's more "desert" than the woodland pattern, but not so bad it stands out next to either. Frankly, she probably matches the ACUPAT best, but it's dark enough to actually be an effective pattern. It should perform superbly in woodland, arid, and urban environments (gotta do urban paintball sometime). The micropattern from the netting mask serves the same function as digi breakup, but more organically and is more ideal for paintball engagement range than MARPAT (60-100m). I'd like to figure out how to make those black tigerstripes more apparent too, but a lack of hard edges is a hard thing to balance that with.
Spyder Pilot ACS. This one has about the same style as the second 98c above...light base with bold one shade tigerstripes. I decided to accent it with tan/grey spotting, instead of my previous dark green or brown accent. Gave it a slight lean toward the desert urban style. She'll look just as good in the woods or a speedball field though.
No, I'm not doing this for hire right now. You'll see something like this post in the buy/sell/trade forum if I do. Right now, I just don't have the time to do this as more than a hobby.
This post has been edited by Slivers: 23 May 2009 - 02:15 PM