Special Ops Paintball: Milled the front grip on my Tippmann 98CP - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Milled the front grip on my Tippmann 98CP Weaver or Picatinny rail for the bottom?

#1 User is offline   fenrisx 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 February 2008 - 12:58 PM

So as the title states, I milled off the front grip on my Custom Pro while I was at work last night. Turned out really good. I only milled off the bottom, I didn't mill off the sides where it's wider where the front grip is. I was going to wait to see how wide the rails are before I do that.

The bottom of the rail is appx. 3/4" wide, and 4 1/16" long. Which rail would be the perfect width? I could cut it to length..

Posted Image

I want to put an air-thru commando stock on it, and then a folding front grip on the rail.
http://www.amazon.com/FOBUS-COMMAND-FOLDIN...378&sr=8-24

I'll keep this thread updated with photos as I go along, but it'll be a slow process since I'm low on funds! The commando stock will be the last thing I get because I'm going to wait until I switch to a new tank to run a remote. I'll be sticking with my 7 and 12oz tanks with butt plates for now.

This post has been edited by fenrisx: 07 March 2008 - 10:43 PM

#2 User is offline   Evil Fingers 

• ELITE Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 February 2008 - 03:02 PM

The decision of which type of Rail you wish to mounted onto your 98 is entirely up to you and that either one will work, but you would need to think first about the Accessory you plan to purchase and if the accessory is compatible to be used with Picatinny or Weaver.

That being said, take your time on modding and what you need to complete your project and you should know already, that if you mess up...there is no Going Back to what it was before.

#3 User is offline   fenrisx 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 29 February 2008 - 03:51 PM

View PostEvil Fingers, on Feb 29 2008, 05:02 PM, said:

The decision of which type of Rail you wish to mounted onto your 98 is entirely up to you and that either one will work, but you would need to think first about the Accessory you plan to purchase and if the accessory is compatible to be used with Picatinny or Weaver.

That being said, take your time on modding and what you need to complete your project and you should know already, that if you mess up...there is no Going Back to what it was before.

I was just concerned about which rail would fit the best on that area of the gun. I found dimensions for the Picatinny and it's going to be about as perfect as you can get considering the gun was designed with this in mind.

I'm either going to mount a folding front grip, or a grip with integrated bipod on it. Then I'm either going to put an air-thru Commando stock, or the air-thru wire stock on it.

This post has been edited by fenrisx: 07 March 2008 - 10:42 PM

#4 User is offline   fenrisx 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 07 March 2008 - 10:28 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

I finished milling off the sides, and around the grooves where the hopper goes. I need to do some sanding to get rid of the sharp edges, but otherwise I'm done with that for now.

I'm going to pick up some JBWeld and fill in the hole in the bottom. Then prep it for painting.

I'll keep this thread updated as I go.

This post has been edited by fenrisx: 08 March 2008 - 01:20 PM

#5 User is offline   Pitbull330 

• "The Worlds Greatest Game"
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Pitbull330

Posted 07 March 2008 - 10:41 PM

as of right now its starting to look good

#6 User is offline   fenrisx 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 07 March 2008 - 10:49 PM

Thanks.

I'm going to try and keep it clean as possible. Hopefully when I'm done it'll look like it was made that way. I'll probably take the dynafile to it at work Monday where it's sharp on the corners from where I milled it Hopefully that won't end it disaster. I might just need to stick with some sandpaper.

#7 User is offline   fenrisx 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 08 March 2008 - 01:22 PM

Here are a couple more pictures... turned out great except for one small chip here and there.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 User is offline   mtaylor 

• Lacking Creativity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:mtaylor

Posted 08 March 2008 - 01:58 PM

Hopefully you've thought of this, but don't do anything that will make it so you can't get the receiver halves apart. That would not be good. This has probably crossed your mind, just saving you some grief if it hasn't :ghillie:

<Insert Sig Here>

#9 User is offline   RAYC22B 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:John Hatcher

Posted 08 March 2008 - 02:17 PM

WOW! Looks good keep us updated i too just sanded down my 98c custom.I milled off the rear site and the Tippmann logo also.I've been thinking about taking off the front handle too.I'll wait to see how yours work out.Good luck.

#10 User is offline   fenrisx 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 08 March 2008 - 02:45 PM

View Postmtaylor, on Mar 8 2008, 03:58 PM, said:

Hopefully you've thought of this, but don't do anything that will make it so you can't get the receiver halves apart. That would not be good. This has probably crossed your mind, just saving you some grief if it hasn't :D

Yeah it has crossed my mind for sure. I'm not sure how I'm going to do it yet. I read that some people put vasoline or something oily on one half of the receiver so it doesn't stick. I'm also pretty sure I read a while back that some people put like a sheet of paper down the middle.. or something of that sort. May I could saran wrap one side of it.. then the other. If the table saw at work had a thinner blade I wouldn't worry about it because I'd just go in and cut it in half again laster, but that saw would take out about .100 of an inch which may make it hug the internals too much, and hinder the operation of the gun.

View PostRAYC22B, on Mar 8 2008, 04:17 PM, said:

WOW! Looks good keep us updated i too just sanded down my 98c custom.I milled off the rear site and the Tippmann logo also.I've been thinking about taking off the front handle too.I'll wait to see how yours work out.Good luck.

Thanks. I hope I can I have time to put the JBWeld in before the end of next week because I'm going to be on vacation after that so it'll be a while before I can mess with it.

I'm thinking about sanding off the Tippmann logo on mine as well.

This post has been edited by fenrisx: 08 March 2008 - 02:50 PM

#11 User is offline   fenrisx 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 11 March 2008 - 01:17 AM

The Picatinny rail should be here Friday or Monday. I won't get to messed with it for another two weeks though.

I'll probably go ahead and order the folding grip tonight. The one I want I don't think would look right on the gun, so I'm going to order a different one.

I wish I could find a set of camo grips like on the Kimber 1911. They're Crimson Trace in desert digital. They're $370 though. Oh well!

Here's the one I'm going to order more than likely:
Posted Image

Here's the one I wanted initially:
Posted Image

Which do you guys think would look best? The 'safety extension' I think wouldn't look right on the 98. Oh, and the one on top is almost half the price. That's another reason it's getting my vote.

This post has been edited by fenrisx: 11 March 2008 - 01:20 AM

#12 User is offline   SexyHeartAttack 

• You can't wipe a welt...
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:wrzesinski

Posted 13 March 2008 - 11:16 PM

if you cant decide...just let your wallet do it for you...
if you are a PROUD AMERICAN, put this in your sig
if your house was on fire and the first thing you would grab is your paintball gear, put this in your sig.
if paintball is your anti drug, put this in your sig
if your parents dont buy your gear, put this in your sig
if the only original part of your marker is the frame,put this in your sig

He Who Praises an Apex Barrel, Hasnt played with an Apex barrel

#13 User is offline   fenrisx 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 06 April 2008 - 04:48 PM

View PostSexyHeartAttack, on Mar 14 2008, 01:16 AM, said:

if you cant decide...just let your wallet do it for you...

That's probably what will happen...

I figured I'd bump this, an give an update. Sorry no new pics of progress because there has been none. Plus I deleted the photos from my Flickr account without thinking. I'll get them up again once I get some new ones to go along with the old progress pics.

I had an issues with my PayPal account, but I finally got the rails Friday. I still need to mix up the JB Weld and fill the hole. Then give is a coat of paint. Then I'll throw them on. After that I'm going to pick up the fore grip.. and eventually a stock.

So yeah.. I haven't given up!~ I've just been busy..and without the rail I had no reason to rush to get the JBWeld finished and it painted.

#14 User is offline   fenrisx 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 06 November 2008 - 01:57 AM

Been a while! I haven't been playing paintball.. so I haven't been in a rush on getting the gun finished.

Here's an update:
Filled the hole with JBWeld. Milled it off flush.

Sandblasted the entire gun.

Sprayed with Rust-O-Leum Primer. Letting it sit until Monday. Then I'm probably going to paint it with Rust-O-Leum Hammered Black. My friend is going to bring a can of some olive drab he has though, so I may paint it OD(but I doubt it).

I realize all my picture links are dead.. but oh well! The picture from tonight don't look so good because they were taken with my cell.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#15 User is offline   josef_k 

• WWII mod-o-holic
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Josef_K

Posted 06 November 2008 - 07:34 PM

Seven months...I'd say you must've been very busy. :rolleyes: I noticed that towards your original post, you stated weaver versus picatinny; both have the same width dovetail shape. The difference between the two is in the transverse "slots" and of the two, the picatinny is the more flexible of the two (weaver accesssories can fit on a picatinny rail but not necessarily vice versa).

There are 101 types of people: those who understand binary, those who don't, and those who just can't count.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users