#1 User is offline   Gerik Bensing 

• SEPA Paintball Community Leader
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Gerik Bensing

Posted 24 August 2006 - 01:39 PM

Refill Stations
How they work

Buying your own CO2 refill station is a great way to save some money in the long run if you play alot using CO2. The tanks themselves will likely be expensive, at about $200 for a 50lb tank, but you pay about $25 to get 50 lbs (which will get you about 640 ounces out of it), which will come out to be about thirty-two 20oz CO2 tanks. At about $5.00 to get all that refilled at a store you pay $160. As you can see, it definitely adds up. Have your friends use it too and it'll pay for itself in no time.

Another thing you need to know about CO2 bulk tanks is that they are HEAVY! A 50lb tank weighs about 200 pounds! Confused? The 50lb number is how much CO2 the unit holds. All the metal and such to keep it in there makes it way about 200lbs. Got it? Great!

What You Need

CO2 Bulk Tank with Siphon Tube
Posted Image

It is very important that if you rent / buy one you get one that has a Siphon Tube. If you don't you'll be filling your tanks with mostly air, which doesn't do you much good. I personally got my tank from a Carbonation factory, you'll have to call around to find a place that sells or rents CO2 tanks.

Scale
Posted Image

This is another very important item. An electronic scale that measures in ounces is perfect. If you try to get ones that measure more than 5 pounds, it will be really expensive. You won't need anything that can weigh more than 5 pounds.
A great 5lb scale to get is the Pelouze Digital Electronic Postal Scale (if link doesn't work, copy and paste the name into the search bar and it will come right up). It is only $34.00 and can zero your tank to make it easy for you to fill CO2 tanks.
You can also use non-electronic scales such as a meat scale or fish scale. But make sure it is very accurate (I would suggest avoiding these if you can help it - they aren't as exact)

Fill Station
Posted Image

You pretty much have two options here. a single valve or a dual-valve. You'll understand it more later, but pretty much, a single valve only allows you to fill a tank - not empty it. It is very inconvenient and you might as well pay the extra $10 for a dual-valve refill station. A dual-valve refill station features its own on/off valve to allow flow of CO2 and an on/off valve to allow you to "purge" (empty) the CO2 tank.
A good, affordable valve is the Trinity Pro Deluxe Two-Valve Fill Station for $51.

How to Use Your CO2 Refill Station

Now that you've got everything you need to start refilling your own CO2 tanks, you need to know how to use it.

SECURE YOUR BULK TANK!
Make sure your bulk tank is secured. It is very dangerous to allow it to fall over. Worst case scenario would be the valve breaking off and it shooting off like a torpedo and killing / critically injuring several innocent people. No joke. If you secure the tank to a corner and something bad happens, it will just push down and do no harm (again, as long as it is secure). But, the chances of anything like that happening are slim to none.

Attach your refill station to the bulk tank
You will get a little plastic ring with your refill station line that goes in between where you screw in the refill station to the bulk tank. Make sure you put it in there before you attach the line.

When finished, it should look something like this:
Posted Image

ALWAYS CHECK HYDROTEST DATES
The most important thing before continuing is to check the hydrotest date. Bad things can happen if the tank is out of date. Think of the torpedo-bulk-tank in a handheld size. Alot of times you'll find that the date has worn off. Look closely to look for the indent of it.

Look closely to find those hydrotest dates
Posted Image

Attach an empty or near empty CO2 tank to the refill station
Now it's time to get the show on the road. Attach your CO2 tank and screw in the knob like a remote line. You may need to loosen the knob some so CO2 can pass through, but I'll explain that later.

Just about ready to fill!
Posted Image

Empty the CO2 tank
It is a good idea to attach some hose to the barb (the small white piece) to have it redirect the CO2 so you don't get frost bite from the cooled gas
Make sure that the CO2 tank is empty by opening the purge valve. If there is a good amount in the tank still, open the valve only a small amount to allow for the CO2 to drain slowly. If you do it too fast you will chill your tank alot. Not that I would know or anything (I'm lying), but if you drain it too fast with too much CO2 still left in the tank, the frozen over tank may freeze to your tongue for a short period of time [don't try it, seriously]. As I said above, you may need to loosen the knob so CO2 can pass through. If you notice it is going slowly then loosen or tighten it alittle bit accordingly. You'll learn how to do it once you mess with it alittle bit.

An open purge valve
Posted Image

Zero your Tank
Make sure you close your purge valve. Put the completely empty CO2 tank on your scale. Zero the scale.

Zeroed
Posted Image

Chill your tank
You have to "chill" your tank before filling it. If you don't, you will most times not be able to fill the CO2 tank to its capacity.
First, open the Bulk Tanks Valve, just unscrew it until it stops.
Then open the on/off valve connected to the bulk tank and watch the scale. It won't take long, so close the valve again when the tank fills with 1-2 ounces.
Open your purge valve and empty the 1-2 ounces in your tank. You can have it flow out quickly to help the tank chill.

This is the on/off valve to allow flow from the Bulk tank to your CO2 tank
Posted Image

Finally, fill that tank!
Now you're ready to fill your tank. Make sure the tank is completely empty before continuing. You don't want to overfill your tank.
Open the on/off valve to the bulk tank and let the CO2 tank fill. The CO2 tank may rattle around a bit, so just keep a hand near it incase it happens to fall over (unlikely). Watch the scale closely and when you get within 1-2 ounces below the tank capacity, close the on/off valve.

Never fill your CO2 tank to its capacity. Fill to 1-2 ounces below its capacity. This will allow it to expand without any danger of it rupturing if it gets warm. Don't ever try to get that couple ounces in there. It simply isn't safe.

Some examples:
Fill a 9oz to 8oz
Fill a 12oz to 10.5oz
Fill a 20oz to 18.5oz

Also, be sure to realize that a 20oz tank is over a pound, so it will turn 16 ounces into one pound. You will be looking to get no more than 1 lb 3 ounces.

A 20oz CO2 tank properly filled
Posted Image

Just finish it up
All you need to do it completely unscrew the refill station's knob, open the purge on/off valve to empty the excess CO2 in the refill station line, and take your CO2 off of the refill station.

Notes and reiterations:
At the end of the day or whenever you are done using your Refill Station, close the bulk tank's knob. This is just a safety measure incase the refill station's on/off valve fails.

Make sure the CO2 tank you get is made from quality components

Setup Safely with solid base and securly strapped in the upright postion to prevent the tank from falling over.

Read a manual on its use and/or a thread like this which covers most of the bases on it's operation.

There you go, a guide on what you need to fill CO2 tanks and how to do it. I hope this helps!

Gerik Bensing

This post has been edited by Gerik Bensing: 22 November 2006 - 10:29 AM

South Eastern Pennsylvania Paintball Community is dedicated to helping organize games in the area - Join Today!
My Feedback --- All You Need to Know About Filling Your Own CO2

#2 User is offline   Maj Tom 

• This is the funvee. Not the humdrumvee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Maj Tom

Posted 24 August 2006 - 01:42 PM

Small discrepancy, the Siphon tube actually sucks up liquid CO2, which is what you want to fill the tank with.

And you should attach a peice of hose to that barb to redirect the gas when purging so you don't get frost bite from the cooled gas.

This post has been edited by Maj Tom: 24 August 2006 - 01:51 PM

#3 User is offline   Dark Wolf 

• elite newb
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Dark Wolf

Posted 24 August 2006 - 01:44 PM

a must sticky and the pictures make it wonderful!! A MUST STICKY!!!
look at me, I am an attention whore

#4 User is offline   tippmann98# 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Team posse

Post icon  Posted 24 August 2006 - 01:44 PM

Maj Tom, on Aug 24 2006, 01:42 PM, said:

Small discrepancy, the Siphon tube actually sucks up liquid CO2 with you want to fill the tank with.

So on a scale 1 to 10 ho dangerous wauld you rate this?

#5 User is offline   Maj Tom 

• This is the funvee. Not the humdrumvee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Maj Tom

Posted 24 August 2006 - 01:50 PM

tippmann98#, on Aug 24 2006, 04:44 PM, said:

Maj Tom, on Aug 24 2006, 01:42 PM, said:

Small discrepancy, the Siphon tube actually sucks up liquid CO2 with you want to fill the tank with.

So on a scale 1 to 10 ho dangerous wauld you rate this?

10 being the highest ?

I'd say a 3 if done properly, as in:

A fill station made specifically for CO2 and made from quality components.
Setup Safely with solid base and securly strapped in the upright postion to prevent the tank from falling over.
Read a manual on it use and/or a thread like this whch covers most of the bases on it's operation.

#6 User is offline   Gerik Bensing 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 August 2006 - 01:56 PM

Oops, I put the Siphon bit the other way. Let me fix that! I got it a couple months ago and I remembered you need that.

Thanks for all suggestions, I'll add in anything you think is needed.

This post has been edited by Gerik Bensing: 24 August 2006 - 02:05 PM

South Eastern Pennsylvania Paintball Community is dedicated to helping organize games in the area - Join Today!

#7 User is offline   commander mike 

• the door is locked now but its open if your true - Metallica
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:commander mike

Posted 25 November 2006 - 08:24 PM

Have amything on compressed air tank fillers?
Posted Image
Friends dont let friends shoot .50 cal... - The Stuntman

#8 User is offline   Gerik Bensing 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:51 AM

Not yet, if I get lucky and receive some scuba tanks for Christmas I'll definitely make another guide for HPA.

#9 User is offline   Schwimmy 

• Yes, that is my Phantom on my back.
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Schwimmy

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:56 AM

HPA tanks are easy. Simply attatch the adaptor (it's very easy to figure out). From there, attatch the tank's nipple to the adaptor, fill with the activation knob. When it's done filling, turn off the activation knob and release the pressure in the adaptor by turning the bleed knob. Remove your tank and VIOLA!
Triad Infinite Scenario Squad

Sponsored by www.ANSgear.com

#10 User is offline   Gerik Bensing 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 December 2006 - 04:36 PM

New HPA refilling guide coming soon! I will add it to the above article.

#11 User is offline   Haunted Hunter 

• Vanguard
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Haunted Hunter

Posted 25 December 2006 - 08:07 PM

If you want something portable to take to the field, you can also get a smaller tank. I have a 15 pound tank, that is small enuf to take to the field. Costs me about $14.00 to refill, but then I have 15 pounds of CO2, so you can figure the math on how much I save, and I also have the tank with me at the private field we play at.

#12 User is offline   SGPaintballer 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:SGPaintballer

Posted 25 January 2007 - 01:52 PM

I have a PSI deluxe refill station, and have filled several tanks. For the last few I've been having trouble getting more than 5 or 6 oz. in a 20 oz tank. At first I thought maybe the 50lb cylinder was empty, but we've replaced it and still can't get any tanks to fill. I've tried chilling them using the 5 oz I can get in the tank, but still no luck.

Anybody have any ideas?

SGPaintballer

This post has been edited by SGPaintballer: 25 January 2007 - 02:02 PM

#13 User is offline   Haunted Hunter 

• Vanguard
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Haunted Hunter

Posted 25 January 2007 - 06:50 PM

Sorry, maybe obvious, but #1. Make sure you have a syphon tank. If it isn't, you'll have to tip it upside down to get the liquid CO2 to come out. With only 5-6 oz, it sounds like only air is coming out.
#2, use different tanks and makes sure your air valve that goes on the co2 tank is compressing the pin to open the tank enough. Sometimes when I"m filling, I screw it in or out, and that opens the pin valve. If you crank it all the way down, you may block the opening.
#3. Do you know what your tank weighs empty? If you have a leak in the main tank, it could have emptied since the last time you used it. Put it on a scale and see how much is left. When down to a few pounds, it will be all gas.
#4. Take your setup to the gas place that fills it. They should be able to help you out.
Hope that helps.

#14 User is offline   LT.CDR.STINKY 

• Strategic Mastermind
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:LT.CDR.STINKY

Posted 28 January 2007 - 10:39 AM

about the 'refill 1-2oz less than bottle capacity'... what do you base this on?

for instance, 18oz in a 20oz bottle is a 10% underfill...
according to the chart in the following link you would need an ambient temperature of over 120F (maybe as much as 140F) to get anywhere near a minimum blowout... http://www.warpig.co...asses/co2pv.gif

the bottle should be safe at 100% capacity, unless you leave it in direct sunlight or a heated up car.
take it for what it's worth, I'm no expert...

I frequently get bottles back from refillers (pro-shops and fields) that even have a 10-20% overfill. I just make sure to keep them under 90F.
IPB Image

SplattOps SpecialOps Brigade Page My A5MP5
"Without ammunition, the USAF would be just another expensive flying club."

#15 User is offline   Gerik Bensing 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 February 2007 - 11:03 AM

LT.CDR.STINKY, on Jan 28 2007, 12:39 PM, said:

about the 'refill 1-2oz less than bottle capacity'... what do you base this on?

for instance, 18oz in a 20oz bottle is a 10% underfill...
according to the chart in the following link you would need an ambient temperature of over 120F (maybe as much as 140F) to get anywhere near a minimum blowout... http://www.warpig.co...asses/co2pv.gif

the bottle should be safe at 100% capacity, unless you leave it in direct sunlight or a heated up car.
take it for what it's worth, I'm no expert...

I frequently get bottles back from refillers (pro-shops and fields) that even have a 10-20% overfill. I just make sure to keep them under 90F.

This is true, you can fill it up to full capacity, and in the winter you probably wouldn't have any problems. But when summer rolls around you may blow a disk. Sure, you can take your chances and fill it to full capacity, but that is not worth it. You have the fill station, just refill it. A store shouldn't be overfilling the tank though, because then it highly increases the risk.

HPA coming soon - been really busy!

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users