Special Ops Paintball: MultiCam shots - no hangars. Promise! - Special Ops Paintball

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

MultiCam shots - no hangars. Promise! Matching gun and gear. Field Test.

#31 User is offline   FlamingoChavez 

• (insert title here)
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Rooster45

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:00 PM

View PostThe Shepherd, on Jun 23 2008, 08:33 AM, said:

If you are looking for a camo for the lighted and bright green areas of those photos, then I suggest a SO Fusion 6. It's practicaly lime green. Really though, there are tons of shadows in those pictures, and plenty of places to hide in plain sight. Still on one photo you got skylined. You put yourself up against some of the lime green trees in a brown domiant camo.

His intentions, as I read this, aren't to hide from the camera, or to show off how awesome multicam is, or showcase his mad sniper skills, but to stand straight up and show how the camo blends (or doesn't blend) into his particular surroundings. Yeah he could do things like hide behind something etc, so he doesn't get seen, but that wouldn't demonstrate the camo as well. In my opinion, camo is made to get your back when you are in less then ideal situations (caught in the open etc.). Like I said before, I can disappear in anything, even a neon pink jumpsuit, but that doesn't mean that neon pink is a good camo, it means I was in hella deep shadows.

View PostThe Shepherd, on Jun 23 2008, 08:33 AM, said:

I think the above poster is right about "micro' to macro although i've never heard it called that before.

That would be because I kinda made it up on the spot... lol, but I think the names get the point across.

#32 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 June 2008 - 02:23 PM

Charlie Echo: WTB = Want To Buy, as in this subforum. Check out the "soft goods" or "multiple items" sections. I found these on the first page: Broadsword & Dagger.

EDIT: My follow up on your comments about the "Digi" pattern - Yes. I believe you are correct. :D

View PostNick Landon, on Jun 22 2008, 11:24 PM, said:

I'll admit, it would be really nice if Special Ops made Multicam gear but I know for a fact that they can't. I too own a full set of multicam gear and just like everyone else, wanted a matching vest. I sent Chad of Spec Ops an e-mail, (he's the custom vest guy) and asked if he could make one for me. Due to Crye Precision's pattents, SO/Tipp can NOT, I repeat, can NOT make multicam gear.

Nope - not the case at all. In fact all the Multicam vest gear I own is from S.O. They have been having a ton of trouble getting material in stock from Crye over the past year, meaning they have stopped producing their items in Multicam. You can however get the material yourself & mail it to Chad (Monson), "Coroner" here on the forums, & he'll make what you need. You just need to contact him & work out the details - i.e. material types & quantities.

I think what you might be referring to is the fact they cannot print/produce any Multicam material themselves. For example, when Multicam started to gain a lot of steam - a number of folks wanted MC Fusions & Ultralights, but S.O. was not allowed to produce the "football mesh" material w/ the MC pattern on it. That would be illegal. If they were to try to change the pattern/colors themselves they would have to do so by atleast 10% (just throwing that out there, might be more), meaning the pattern/colors would have to be different by atleast 10%. Of course, you take a pattern like MC & start rearranging the colors & pattern by that much, it becomes less effective - there's a reason Crye spent so much time & money developing the pattern, because it works! That's also why they had it patented. In fact there was a situation a couple years ago w/ Crye just blowing up on all the Chinese companies because they were selling a ton of stuff on ebay made w/ the illegal "knockoff" material (of course now they are back, I don't really know how, unless they changed the color/pattern enough - but some of those do look really good). Anyways - S.O. couldn't reproduce the MC, nor did they want to spend the time to tweak it enough to call it there own, But what they could do is produce a Digi pattern (using the same they already had - S.O. Digi) & just change the colors to more closely represent Multicam. Of course, they made some adjustments w/ the colors (more brown, etc...). That's how OmniPAT was born.

This post has been edited by ger: 23 June 2008 - 02:34 PM

ger
You bought the brand, not my allegiance.

#33 User is offline   Nick Landon 

• X7OG's Multicam Vest Guy
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Nighthawk9

Posted 28 June 2008 - 10:26 AM

When did you buy your Multicam Vest from SO? I know that they used to make multicam gear, but can't anymore because Crye got after them or something. If you bought it a long time ago then that would explain why you could get it. I purchased my multicam material from www.rockywoods.com. If it's that easy for me to get all the material I want, why wouldn't SO be able to do it too? Just a thought.
-You..You & You..Panic, The rest of you, follow me!
-If you don't cheat and play with integrity, put this in your sig!
-Pain heals, my girlfriend digs scars, glory lasts forever!

-Mormon Pride!!!!!!

#34 User is offline   Tolgak 

• redleg's doppelganger
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 June 2008 - 12:17 PM

View PostBAGELS, on Jun 23 2008, 09:23 AM, said:

WOW, I always thought the same thing about peoples eyes and what colors they really see.
I would love to see multicam an omnipat put together into one pattern.

While comparing Omnipat and Multicam, it appeared to me that Omnipat is essentially digitized Multicam with a darker base color.

Digital patterns tend to work better at close range, but no camo can bring nearly as much success as proper concealment skills. In most wooded settings, a few steps to either direction can make you adequately hidden from your opponents. Multicam may pretty effective from moderate ranges, but I think the best camo to use is the appropriate version of MARPAT for your surroundings.

One advantage I should add about Multicam came to me in the first picture of this thread. The off-white splotches on Multicam resemble old paint splats left over on bunkers. This could give you an edge when snapshooting, provided your mask and gun can be painted with a good copy of the pattern.

This post has been edited by Tolgak: 28 June 2008 - 12:19 PM

Posted Image

#35 User is offline   WardenWolf 

• Aspie Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:WardenWolf

Posted 28 June 2008 - 02:55 PM

Multicam in general is severely overrated, and this pattern in particular is very poor. It uses sickly off colors that you don't see very much in nature unless you're surrounded by wilting plants, and is way too flat which makes it stand out from a living environment where the leaves reflect slightly. It may blend during a drought, but it's a poor match otherwise.

Kanye: "Yo, Chile, I'm gonna let you finish shakin', but I just got to say Haiti had one of the best earthquakes of all time!"
Save a tree: wipe your ass with a hippie!

#36 User is offline   Barteh 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 28 June 2008 - 05:14 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Some shots of a friend in action.

#37 User is offline   WardenWolf 

• Aspie Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 June 2008 - 07:07 PM

And I reaffirm my assessment, that this particular color scheme is very poor overall. It's fine if you're in a high desert, but not fine anywhere else.

Kanye: "Yo, Chile, I'm gonna let you finish shakin', but I just got to say Haiti had one of the best earthquakes of all time!"

#38 User is offline   Charlie Echo 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Charlie Echo

Posted 29 June 2008 - 01:52 AM

And I won't even debate the art of stealth over Camo. That's a given.
I really would like to get a MC SO broadswoard vest. Even if I have to buy my own material for it. I just want all my gear to match for once.

Barteh, thanks for the photos. I think those give a good representation as to my original goal of this thread. And that is what to "really expect" from MC. I can see the shots were taken from 10 feet and less so we can't judge it's effectiveness is not the same as in a game.

I really liked the proposed idea of a micro and macro sized pattern. For paintball, MC is a little large and Omnipat is too fine of a pattern in my opinion.

Up close
Posted Image

Farther away
Posted Image

I had taken a couple photos of a MC paintjob I did and I noticed that when up close the pattern appears to be too large for the background. When far away, the pattern size is more appropriate for the background. The distortion from the focal length (wide angle vs. telephoto) simulates: size matters in camo patterns. the performance of MC changes drastically the farther away you are. So, I think I would like to see a smaller pattern than MC and larger than OMni. Right between Micro and Macro pattern, just as Flamingo described earlier.

As far as the color being all wrong WW, I don't agree with you on it being overrated. I think it is the best it can be to suit our military. I am just playing this through my mind. Ok, Warden gets in his car and decides to take a little trip down to Crye, he meets with the board of investors, researchers and the designers and claims "listen, the color is all wrong for this guys. These colors and patterns aren't found in nature." Well, you guys can play the rest of it out in your minds as who the investors are going to bank on as the researchers and designers pull out tons of substantial scientific data and studies they have documented. They note the progression of the patterns developement and successfulness as it evolves...then they open the vaults to the real data. 2/3 of the project was spent understanding how the human eye perceives color and patterns in varioius environments...and so on.

Warden's right. The colors don't match. The pattern IS all wrong. But it works. The eye registers that nasty light minty green highlight blob as: just a plain ol' highlight. As with the rest of the colors seem to somehow match. MC would be going to war if our country could afford it. What would really be a surprise and amazing if OmniPat went to war and got the contract to cloak our soldiers. That would be some cool news, wouldn't it?

Aesthetically speaking, I love MC because it is soooo hard to paint it exact. MC is not the best in every situation 'for paintball', but it's still my favorite camo.

The biggest thing I question you guys is:
Do you guys see how distance is a huge factor in how well MC performs?

This post has been edited by Charlie Echo: 01 July 2008 - 06:38 PM

#39 User is offline   BAGELS 

• good stuff^
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:I3agels

Posted 29 June 2008 - 06:07 PM

Really nice paint jobs you have there. I would prefer MC over anything, except my omnipat. And that is only because it is better at shorter distances. At longer distances, MC beats everything. I saw in another thread, a good place to get a really nice MC paintball vest is here.

CLICK HERE

I personally think that those look of better quality than all Spec ops vests, except maybe the blackcell custom agent which I have never seen a review of.

THE INVISI-SIG!
I have no sig, because I am cool like that.
I love my phantom, because it is cool like that....schweet

#40 User is offline   the eggman 

• ninjadodjy is always watching you...
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:bake-bake

Posted 29 June 2008 - 06:56 PM

haha u turned a post into a game kinda, find the charlie, memememehe...
:( << there he is :idea: < random lightbulb man

#41 User is offline   WardenWolf 

• Aspie Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 June 2008 - 10:41 PM

An overly chunky pattern will lose visible detail as you get farther away. That's the first thing that goes away (I believe that's on the Officer's test, actually). You can always lose detail, but you can never add it back. That's why chunky is better.

That's a nice match on that gun, by the way. Good work matching colors to the environment you play in.

This post has been edited by WardenWolf: 29 June 2008 - 10:42 PM

#42 User is offline   Barteh 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 30 June 2008 - 09:21 AM

Will edit this post with extra pics in a few.
A few more distance shots etc.

#43 User is offline   8harrison8 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:harrison

Posted 06 August 2008 - 09:48 PM

What you should do now is take pictures with a black gun to show contrast
True paintballers rock pumps. Everyday I'm pumpin

#44 User is offline   skowvy 

• You can call me, Papa Smurf.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:skowvy

Posted 07 August 2008 - 11:54 AM

ok i just have this to say... DO THE US NAVY SEALS WEAR OMNI PAT?????
If we cant do it it doesn't need to be done!
Official Sabre #77

Expendable Assets Team Leader.

Blessed be the LORD my Rock, Who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle. My lovingkindness and my fortress, My high tower and my deliverer, my shield and the ONE in whom I take refuge!

#45 User is offline   Gunnzzilla 

• Ranger//Recon
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Gunnzzilla

Posted 07 August 2008 - 12:07 PM

*Post is written in a sarcastic tone, not flaming or burning anyone.<-period.*

Did the samerais of japan wear camo at all? no. They were so bad that they didn't bother tring not to be seen, because any mother that wanted to mess with one was dead in a second.

MC=OP=boxers with mud rubbed all over with leaves and grass stuck to you.

Wolf's right, you don't wear snow camo in the desert.<-period. Every camo has an environment it is meant to be used in. NO CAMO IS ALL PURPOSE, some are made for multiple enviroments; but none are perfect for all.

EX: any non- snow camo in the middle of a snowy woods.

Camo is Camo, stop arguing which is better and wear wth you like!
Duplicate account. Goodbye.

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users