• You cannot reply to this topic

Friendly Reminder Or why proper BBD's are mandatory

#1 User is offline   Dark Shadow Hunter 

• Screwball, one each.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Dark Shadow Hunter

Posted 03 November 2007 - 04:58 PM

The field had just opened for business for the day. Everyone was getting their gear ready in the staging area. A group of us were standing by the pro shop discussing the new team(s) that the field is forming. A player walked by with a gassed up, unloaded marker. He was using a barrel swab as a barrel blocking device or BBD. Just as I was about to say something the marker goes off sending the barrel swab flying past a person's head. I yelled at him saying "That is why you use a barrel cover not a swab!" Everyone else also yelled at him for not using a proper BBD. Fortunately the marker, which seemed to be on ramping, was not loaded.

Remember to only use industry approved barrel blocking devices. The preffered device is a barrel sock/cover/condomn. A barrel plug is still acceptable at many fields. However a barrel sock is the best option. A swab or squeegee is not an acceptable substitute. Neither is placing the marker in your pocket, holding your hand over the barrel, or removing the barrel. Your eyes are way too important to use anything other than an industry approved BBD.

For a good example as to what could happen if proper safety measures are not taken I reffer you to 1-I's medical folder.

This post has been edited by Dark Shadow Hunter: 03 November 2007 - 04:58 PM

#2 User is offline   Florentine 

• Group: Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 November 2007 - 10:37 AM

well dont the barrel plugs fly out as well when theres no porting? cause i've had them fly off when i use my 3" cause of the no porting and the large barrel. i think they should get rid of the plugs and go with the bags all together.
Hey baby, wanna come over to myspace so i can twitter your yahoo till I google all over your facebook?
Feedback

Becc: "I'm not really a vegetarian, I eat some forms of sausage."

#3 User is offline   Dark Shadow Hunter 

• Screwball, one each.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 November 2007 - 05:47 PM

Yes barrel plugs can fly off as well. However it is rare that I have seen a plug fly out of the barrel.

I agree that the bags are safer. In my opinion plugs should be banned all together and make bags 100% mandatory. However since they have not been totally banned from the industry I felt the need to include them as an industry approved BBD.

#4 User is offline   piccardalpha3 

• dragonzord pwns
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:piccardalpha3

Posted 04 November 2007 - 06:02 PM

at fox 4 paintbal in upton mass they only allow barrel condoms if you only have a barrel blocker they make you buy a condom from the pro shop

#5 User is offline   JackRock 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:JackRock

Posted 04 November 2007 - 06:28 PM

I have seen MANY barrel plugs fly off with only a single shot. And with today's markers, that is a serious no-go. Every field I even consider playing at around here mandates barrel bags.
This is my sig. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My sig is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My sig, without me, is useless. Without my sig, I am useless. I must type my sig true. I must spell better than my enemy who is trying to judge me. I must type before he ridicules me. I WILL... My sig and I know that what counts in this forum is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the splatter we make. We know that it is the hits that count. WE WILL HIT... Before the Admins, I swear this creed. My sig and myself are the defenders of my forum. We are the masters of our enemy. WE ARE THE SAVIORS OF MY PROFILE. - Tippmann Owner #pi

#6 User is offline   ag09 

• Pro Rec Baller
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:AG09

Posted 04 November 2007 - 10:09 PM

At most of the fields I play at barrel bags are preferred. At my home field they are mandatory.

I agree that barrel bags are better. Just look at the physics of the forces behind it.
Give me an army of West Point graduates, I'll win a battle. Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war! - Patton
Texas Legion - Central Texas

#7 User is offline   Jackson 

• Resident Tiberius Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:PvtDBJackson

Posted 04 November 2007 - 10:23 PM

I agree. I use bags on all my markers. I only have one plug in my gear bag now, and it's only if I'm using all of my markers at once (I'm one bag short), so I only use the plug in my pump because there is no way you are firing more than one shot. Bags are the only method I trust anymore in this age of ramping electros.

#8 User is offline   undeadmouse 

• Look! An undead mouse!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:undeadmouse

Posted 05 November 2007 - 09:18 AM

I agree.

Tyger did 2 shows on why you need a proper BBD. Linky

Hide in shame from my lack of aim! - Pump Member 112 (It's been over 2 years, okay?) ...blah dropped to 54% shot efficiency.
I'm back from a long long long time of no paintball, drooling over markers older then I am.

#9 User is offline   Dark Shadow Hunter 

• Screwball, one each.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 November 2007 - 09:49 AM

yep I saw those shows. I may ask him if I could burn them to a DVD so I can show them at the safety briefing.

Bags are the preffered BBD at my field. However I heard rumor that they will be banning plugs all together soon.

#10 User is offline   The Stuntman 

• I feel like I'm taking Crazy Pills!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:The Stuntman

Posted 05 November 2007 - 10:04 AM

I go with bags...just seems safer. Although I do have one really old plug that I still like to use with some barrels. Its a little oversized, so once its in its actually quite difficult to get out of the barrel. I figure any plug that needs pliers to remove is probably safe enough...

#11 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 November 2007 - 10:54 AM

I use exclusively barrel socks, although I have many plugs left over that I had picked up for free over time (either with markers or by other events).

I tend to stock more of them than I need, largely because I will loan/give them out if people lack proper BBD. At OK D-Day 2007, I saw what appeared to be a father/son duo walking by without any form of BBD. When I asked them about it, they both said they did not own a BBD, and clearly had no idea what I was talking about by a "barrel sock." I promptly brought them over to my vehicle, grabbed my tool/spare parts box, took out two socks, and properly equipped them with new barrel socks.

The point of my story is that it may be a good idea for you (referring to any regular player who reads this) to stock several cheap barrel socks that can be given away to newer players. Just buy one or two every time you place an order off a paintball gear website, they only cost you $3-4.

This post has been edited by Thalion: 05 November 2007 - 02:48 PM

Member of Team Akkadian

#12 User is offline   thebostinian 

• SOFA Favorite Member Title 2009
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:thebostinian

Posted 06 November 2007 - 04:57 PM

View PostThalion, on Nov 5 2007, 12:54 PM, said:

I use exclusively barrel socks, although I have many plugs left over that I had picked up for free over time (either with markers or by other events).

I tend to stock more of them than I need, largely because I will loan/give them out if people lack proper BBD. At OK D-Day 2007, I saw what appeared to be a father/son duo walking by without any form of BBD. When I asked them about it, they both said they did not own a BBD, and clearly had no idea what I was talking about by a "barrel sock." I promptly brought them over to my vehicle, grabbed my tool/spare parts box, took out two socks, and properly equipped them with new barrel socks.

The point of my story is that it may be a good idea for you (referring to any regular player who reads this) to stock several cheap barrel socks that can be given away to newer players. Just buy one or two every time you place an order off a paintball gear website, they only cost you $3-4.

that is a good idea. by doing so, you're making sure the people least likely to be safe with their guns have a way to make the guns much more safe. i think i'll do this, it just seems like a good samaritan thing, and it's increasing the safety of our sport. good job, thalion, keep it up.

"Yeah, but a thread that started out as borderline weird and creepy to begin with has now taken a left turn into 'Deliverance." - Violator
Don't try to pronounce the second "o". Instead, try realize the truth: there is no second "o"

#13 User is offline   mtaylor 

• Lacking Creativity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:mtaylor

Posted 06 November 2007 - 06:36 PM

i have 4 in my gearbag all the time, and usually lend out 3 of them.

(and i didn't pay for any of them :P )

EDIT-do you think it's ok to walk across the staging area with an uncocked pump gun stuck in your squeegy pocket because someone stole your favorite barrel condom?
(just to my gearbag to grab another one)

This post has been edited by mtaylor: 06 November 2007 - 06:38 PM

<Insert Sig Here>

#14 User is offline   lonegunm4n 

• Contract Killer
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:lonegunm4n

Posted 06 November 2007 - 09:17 PM

At my home field, it's barrel socks only, no barrel plugs. We had some players leave because they refused to use barrel socks.

Another thing though with barrel socks, is that it is properly put on.

Case in point:

New player had just bought a new marker. He had only been playing once before. He put the barrel in the barrel sock, and looped the elastic end over the hopper. Bad part? The barrel sock wasn't tight at all. It seemed to be on there just enough that the sock didn't fall off the barrel. Anyway, we get to the staging area, and he accidently hits the trigger. The marker is set to 3 round burst. The first shot knocks the loose barrel sock off, and the next two go into the ground a few feet in front of him. Thankfully his marker was pointed in a direction where no one was, but thats beside the point.

My point is, if your going to use a barrel sock, make sure that it is tight over the barrel.
well, it's a futuristic modern world
but things aren't what they seem
someday you'd better wake up
from this stupid fantasy
-Bloodstains by Agent Orange

#15 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 November 2007 - 09:20 AM

View Postmtaylor, on Nov 6 2007, 07:36 PM, said:

EDIT-do you think it's ok to walk across the staging area with an uncocked pump gun stuck in your squeegy pocket because someone stole your favorite barrel condom?
(just to my gearbag to grab another one)

Yes, as long as you go directly to that gearbag. I'd almost have a hand over the barrel because (at least at the fields I frequent), it's the sign that the BBD is missing and you're on your way to replace it.
Member of Team Akkadian

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users