Special Ops Paintball: BT Rip Clip VS. Modified Cyclone Feed - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1

BT Rip Clip VS. Modified Cyclone Feed Pros & Cons of Both Based On My Experiences Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   M. Deth 

• Motopsycho
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:MOTOPSYCHO

Posted 18 February 2009 - 09:22 AM

I'm bored this morning, so I thought I'd write this review about my newly purchased BT Rip Clip for my Tippmann 98 Custom.

Here is how my 98 Custom is set up, as these parts may change the results between yours and my markers.

'00 1st Gen 98 Custom (Pre-Barrel thread change & Sear change), Dead On Pro Seal Powertube & Front Bolt, Palmer's Stabilizer (Set at around 650 psi), Response Trigger with "Super" R/T Cyclone Adapter Kit, 12" Lapco Accushot Barrel Kit.

How They Work: What's the difference?
The BT Rip Clip basically uses spring tension to force feed the paintballs. The sound activated, electric motor simply rewinds the spring. Since the paintballs are always under tension, they are forced into the breach as soon as they have the room, making the Rip Clip a very fast loader. When you first turn on the Rip Clip, the motor does an initial spin to load the paint, and pre-wind the spring. This initial spin only winds the spring about 50%, so for faster loading you can manually wind the spring the rest of the way with the crank on the bottom. The Rip Clip requires 4 AA batteries, so it could be expensive if you play a lot. I bought rechargeable batteries, and have not seen any problems so far. Also, the Rip Clip has 3 adjustable speeds for the motor. Not sure why they needed this, as I'll just leave it set to it's fastest setting.

The cyclone is an air powered system. During each shot, air escapes the valve through a port. This air pushes a piston that then turns the cyclone paddles. Because the Cyclone is not under constant tension, it does not move until a split second after the marker is fired, making it slower than the Rip Clip. Also, if using CO2, the differences in pressure due to temperature changes can make the cyclone's speed change. This system can be very hard on thinner, brittle paintballs.

Install: Winner: None (Rip Clip is easier with an older 98C and/or R/T kit. Otherwise Cyclone)
When I got my BT Rip Clip, I removed the Cyclone Feed, and capped the Cyclone side of the R/T Cyclone T-Adapter coming out of the valve. The BT Rip Clip requires the first 2 inches of the top sight rail for mounting, so my M16 style handle/raised sight rail had to be removed because it was too long. I'm going to modify something eventually, because I like that handle. The install was very easy, loosen the clamping screws, pull on the spring loaded sight rail clamp while you line up the pins with the stock elbow holes. Then slide the whole unit forward, and tighten the clamping screws.

The Cyclone is a little easier to install on a newer 98 Custom. Simply attach in the feeder the same way as the stock neck, and attach the air line to the port on the side of the marker. Installing on an older 98C was a bit trickier, as you had to remove the valve & swap powertubes.

Size / Weight: Winner: Cyclone Feed
The BT rip clip can take any of the Cyclone hoppers, which is nice. I personally like the X-7 hopper the best. The Rip Clip is quite a bit heavier than the cyclone because of the batteries. You'll notice the weight difference while holding the marker. I tend to tilt my marker to the left a lot while playing. The weight difference isn't quite as noticeable that way. The Rip Clip is also bulkier in size, (anyone who has played with a cyclone knows it can get shot easily), so the slightly larger Rip Clip will probably get hit a little more often. The Cyclone feed wins hands down for Size & Weight.

Price (Including All My Mods & Batteries): Winner: BT Rip Clip
BT Rip Clip MSRP = $79.99 (I found it for $49.50)
4 AA Rechargeable Batteries with Charger = $14.99
Tippmann X-7 Low Profile Hopper = $6.95
Total (MSRP = $101.93) I spent = $71.40

Tippmann Cyclone Feed 98C Kit = $59.00
Tippmann "Super" R/T Cyclone Adapter Kit = $19.00
TechT Squishy Cyclone Paddles = $19.95
TechT Vortex Ratchet Kit = $34.99
TechT Lightning Rod = $24.99
Tippmann X-7 Vented Piston Housing = $18.00
Tippmann X-7 Low Profile Hopper = $6.95
Total Spent = $182.88

Performance: Winner (So Far): BT Rip Clip
I have only shot 1000 paintballs through the Rip Clip, so I cannot give it a 100% accurate review, but so far, I am very impressed. My first hopper, I had the Rip Clip motor speed set at default, and I did have a ball chop with my R/T set really fast. I then set the Rip Clip speed to the fastest setting, and wound the spring to it's maximum tension, and I was able to shot as fast as my R/T would go without a problem. Shooting semi-auto was also not a problem at all. I spent the rest of the 1000 balls without any kind of problem.

I have used the Cyclone Feed heavily throughout this last summer. I added each of the mods throughout the year trying to improve the performance. With the stock Cyclone Feed, I quickly broke the stock, plastic ratchets. Also, I had problems with balls breaking in the cyclone, prior to being loaded. I bought the squishy paddles for the ball breaks, and the Vortex ratchet kit, both of which are highly needed mods in my opinion. While they made a big difference, I still would chop regularly when my R/T was set really fast. I bought the Lightning Rod and the X-7 vented piston housing, and again, they did make the cyclone faster. However, even with all the mods, the Rip Clip is still faster than my Cyclone.

Aside from ball chops, there is another difference worth noting. I like the Response Trigger as opposed to the E-Grip. But it requires air to function. So does the Cyclone. They both function okay together, but I noticed about 50 less shots per 20 oz tank while using the Cyclone & R/T together vs. using the Rip Clip & R/T together. Finally, because the R/T and the Cyclone both need air, the R/T will stop kicking out sooner while using it with the Cyclone.

Overall Recommendation: BT Rip Clip
The performance I've seen from the Rip Clip so far over powers the size and weight disadvantages. The price differences seal the deal in my opinion. I feel all the mods in my Cyclone has made it the best it can be, but it still cannot keep up with the Rip Clip. My Cyclone will be a nice addition to my old Model 98, which is still only semi-auto. But for my R/T 98 Custom, The rip clip was an excellent buy.

This post has been edited by M. Deth: 18 February 2009 - 09:27 AM

"Born to bleed, fighting to succeed, built to endure what this world throws at me." - Hatebreed
Special Ops Brigade ID - 161556
Tunka.com - Join over 1600 Denver area players for FREE National Forest games.

#2 User is offline   Slivers 

• The charred ghost of Slivers
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Slivers

Posted 18 February 2009 - 11:20 PM

Great review. I just got the Rip Clip a couple months ago for my RT'd 98 after deciding on it against the cyclone, but haven't had the chance to try it.

As a side note, I haven't had the chance to compare the profile of the 98 Cyclone to the 98 Rip Clip in person, but all pictures I've seen of the cyclone indicate the hopper shell rides higher on the cyclone. What's your take on that?
Posted Image
Flying straight above the steady stream of stars.

#3 User is offline   M. Deth 

• Motopsycho
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:MOTOPSYCHO

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:58 AM

The height of the hopper is so close on both of them. The rip clip is a little lower but only about .5 cm. Without the hopper on it, the rip clip is about half an inch wider than the cyclone.

I went out & played on Sunday. Only shot about 1000 rounds all day, but I have to say the Rip Clip is great. I did have the balls jam up inside the Rip Clip once, but I figured out to use the crank wheel on the bottom to unwind the loader to clear the jam, then wind it back up to re-load the spring. It was pretty quick to deal with. I will say, I never had a jamming problem with the cyclone (Cyclones don't jam, they become blenders). But, Aside from the jam, I did not have a chop all day, which was nice.

Another notable thing... My day was ended when I tripped on something on the field, fell and landed on my gun. Most of the impact was taken when my hip broke my adjustable stock. Anyways, I came down pretty hard on the rip clip, and it didn't get phased. I would have a hard time believing the cyclone would take a hit like that without breaking something. The rip clip is very strong & durable, and now it's officially broken in, he he... As for the trip, all I can say is oops...

This post has been edited by M. Deth: 24 February 2009 - 08:30 AM

"Born to bleed, fighting to succeed, built to endure what this world throws at me." - Hatebreed
Special Ops Brigade ID - 161556
Tunka.com - Join over 1600 Denver area players for FREE National Forest games.

#4 User is offline   bloodwashed 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:30 PM

M. Deth, on Feb 24 2009, 08:58 AM, said:

The height of the hopper is so close on both of them. The rip clip is a little lower but only about .5 cm. Without the hopper on it, the rip clip is about half an inch wider than the cyclone.

I went out & played on Sunday. Only shot about 1000 rounds all day, but I have to say the Rip Clip is great. I did have the balls jam up inside the Rip Clip once, but I figured out to use the crank wheel on the bottom to unwind the loader to clear the jam, then wind it back up to re-load the spring. It was pretty quick to deal with. I will say, I never had a jamming problem with the cyclone (Cyclones don't jam, they become blenders). But, Aside from the jam, I did not have a chop all day, which was nice.

Another notable thing... My day was ended when I tripped on something on the field, fell and landed on my gun. Most of the impact was taken when my hip broke my adjustable stock. Anyways, I came down pretty hard on the rip clip, and it didn't get phased. I would have a hard time believing the cyclone would take a hit like that without breaking something. The rip clip is very strong & durable, and now it's officially broken in, he he... As for the trip, all I can say is oops...

were did you get a rip clip for $49.50? all I ever see them for is around $70.00.

#5 User is offline   Tomcat 

• Empire BT Rangers - US Team Lead
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Tomcat001

Posted 05 February 2010 - 05:05 AM

Ebay has them without hopper for $50.00. Sometimes at the some of the fields I play at I find them as well.

This post has been edited by Tomcat: 05 February 2010 - 05:05 AM

Team Lead, EMPIRE BT RANGERS - US Contingent.
Lieutenant

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users