• You cannot reply to this topic

Modding Safety I know its not really paintball

#1 User is offline   Spike21 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:SPIKE21

Posted 26 February 2008 - 01:28 PM

For all you modders out there, you have probably used a dremel or have one. I have seen alot of homemade mods done with a dremel and i use one all the time.

Well last night I was dremeling the feed tube off of a marker. The circular nature of both the dremel head and the feed tube and the spinning of the dremel head didn't go to well together. The dremel spun around the feed neck and flew into my palm accelerating into my thumb...yeah... it was pretty deep. Yeah i am stupid.

Now the moral of the story is be careful when you are using sharp tools, especially when using metal cutting tools. Try not to hold the object you are cutting with your hand but with a clamp or something similar if available. And if you do get cut badly, duct tape, seriously... duct tape is a good substitute for stitches, I have confirmed this with multiple different doctors, but if its really bad i do recommend going to the hospital to get actual treatment.

Remember safety first!

This post has been edited by Spike21: 26 February 2008 - 01:58 PM

#2 User is offline   N.A.T 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:N.A.T

Posted 26 February 2008 - 01:40 PM

Another fun thing is when one of the metal cutoff wheels on a dremel explodes. I haven't got hurt by that happening but it always gives me a scare.

#3 User is offline   slowerpig81 

• This man is a Beast with that Phantom. -thisissparta
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:slowerpig81

Posted 05 March 2008 - 12:48 PM

View PostN.A.T, on Feb 26 2008, 02:40 PM, said:

Another fun thing is when one of the metal cutoff wheels on a dremel explodes. I haven't got hurt by that happening but it always gives me a scare.

Yeah, that is why I wear shooting glasses every time I do stuff with a dremel. Also, make sure your "safety goggles" are actually safe. My shop teacher told me that a lot of safety goggles are easily breakable and not made of lexan.

If you can't find any safety goggles, use your paintball goggles! They can definitely stop projectiles, and they protect your whole face.

#4 User is offline   SexyHeartAttack 

• You can't wipe a welt...
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:wrzesinski

Posted 13 March 2008 - 09:24 PM

i was modding my 98 once wearing safety glasses and a piece from the aluminum chassis of the marker flew up, under the glasses and into my eye, now i only wear a full facemask...
if you are a PROUD AMERICAN, put this in your sig
if your house was on fire and the first thing you would grab is your paintball gear, put this in your sig.
if paintball is your anti drug, put this in your sig
if your parents dont buy your gear, put this in your sig
if the only original part of your marker is the frame,put this in your sig

He Who Praises an Apex Barrel, Hasnt played with an Apex barrel

#5 User is offline   Weigel21 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 March 2008 - 09:37 PM

I clamp whatever I'm dremmeling in my jewlers vice I have, I work pretty good. As for eye safety, well I wear glasses and just leave it at that, even though something could easily fly off and into my eye from under, over, or around them. Also I generally use a hack saw or something to start the groove so as not to slip off the spot I'm trying to cut. Grinding things down however, I use various files if I can and leave the dremmel for small touch ups.

#6 User is offline   me pinky77 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:me pinky77

Post icon  Posted 03 April 2008 - 01:35 PM

this is what happens when your not carefull with a drill. i was trying to make a custom feed tube for my spyder when the drill sliped. it put a hole straight through my skin. the dot is where the drill whent through. they call me "drillbit pinky" now.

Attached File(s)

#7 User is offline   mtaylor 

• Lacking Creativity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:mtaylor

Posted 27 May 2008 - 04:40 PM

I've been hit by shards of plastic, exploding dremmel wheels, breaking razor blades and all that. I've also had a phillips screw driver stuck in my hand. It left a cool X-shaped scar :dodgy:

Moral of the story-Use proper safety procedures, and don't use screw drivers as pry bars.

<Insert Sig Here>

#8 User is offline   Octavious 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 May 2008 - 12:06 PM

View Postslowerpig81, on Mar 5 2008, 03:48 PM, said:

View PostN.A.T, on Feb 26 2008, 02:40 PM, said:

Yeah, that is why I wear shooting glasses every time I do stuff with a dremel. Also, make sure your "safety goggles" are actually safe. My shop teacher told me that a lot of safety goggles are easily breakable and not made of lexan.

If you can't find any safety goggles, use your paintball goggles! They can definitely stop projectiles, and they protect your whole face.

I have to touch up on this...Please do not use your paintball mask / goggles as a means to use in place of satefy glasses. The reason being, is chances are, if something does nick the lense, the owner may think nothing of it and not replace the lense. Also, its much cheaper to go to the hardware store, Wal-Mart, any place that sells tools and spend the 5-10$ for a decent pair of safety glasses. Trust me, buy the glasses instead

-Oct

This post has been edited by Octavious: 28 May 2008 - 12:11 PM

#9 User is offline   annu the terrible 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 29 May 2008 - 10:00 PM

after buying my last pair of safty glasses i shot them point blank with airsoft gun and 10 feet with .22 with .22 glasses went flying but not a scratch so i call them safe enough

#10 User is offline   thisissparta 

• Tonight, We Dine In Heck!!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:thisissparta

Posted 29 May 2008 - 11:02 PM

I was Dremelling (or whatever the heck that verb is :wacko: ) about a month ago, and the cutoff wheel broke, and shot a chunk THROUGH my VL-200 that was sitting nearby. I shoulda taken a pic, but didn't think to and my hopper is at a friend's house- it went through both sides!

the two most important words in playing with power tools- BE SAFE!!!
The Spartan Armory: 98 Custom, Spyder e99 Avant, Tippmann A5, PMI-1, Splatmaster, SL-68 II, Classic Mag, Nel-Spot 007, WGP Sniper II (~95), DM5, SL-68II, Dye Reflex, Sideline Duckslide, Pro-Carbine, Piranha LB, Splatmaster, PG convert, Tippmann Pro-Lite, K-Framed Palmer's Paladin, T8 with TRG and milling work, SA-8, Gargantom, Custom Cocker
Feedback: SO Forum (+13/-0) MCB: (+24/-0) I love Kaesie. Fact: I am a ninja.

#11 User is offline   Woodbender 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Woodbender

Posted 31 May 2008 - 07:36 PM

View PostSexyHeartAttack, on Mar 13 2008, 11:24 PM, said:

i was modding my 98 once wearing safety glasses and a piece from the aluminum chassis of the marker flew up, under the glasses and into my eye, now i only wear a full facemask...

Just an additional bit of info:

During a wood turning class I took, we were told that face shields and safety glasses were meant to be used together. Wear safety glasses to protect the eyes and a face shield to protect the face.

#12 User is offline   WardenWolf 

• Aspie Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:WardenWolf

Posted 01 June 2008 - 01:09 AM

It's best to use the reinforced cutoff wheels when working on anything other than wood. The standard cutoff wheels are VERY brittle and really should not be used for most things. Even very light pewter is enough to make these things shatter unless you're VERY careful. Be smart, and use proper safety glasses and the proper cutoff wheel for the job. Don't use the standard ones. They'll blow up on you.

Kanye: "Yo, Chile, I'm gonna let you finish shakin', but I just got to say Haiti had one of the best earthquakes of all time!"
Save a tree: wipe your ass with a hippie!

#13 User is offline   Octavious 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 June 2008 - 09:28 PM

View PostWoodbender, on May 31 2008, 10:36 PM, said:

Just an additional bit of info:

During a wood turning class I took, we were told that face shields and safety glasses were meant to be used together. Wear safety glasses to protect the eyes and a face shield to protect the face.

Correct. Mainly because of the angle of the tool against the wood sometimes makes the debris splash right up into your face. Also, for wood turning, generally a leather apron as well (and naturally short sleeve shirts and nothing that can get caught in the wheel). Mainly the apron because sometimes the tool can and will kick back. Often you can control the kick and keep away from your body, but if it does get you, you're going to be bleeding, very badly. At least from my the set of chisels my dad has. If one of those kicks and pokes you in the slightest, you're heading to the hospital.

-Oct

#14 User is offline   iPwn 

• Bootleg iPod, Google it.
  • Pip

Posted 02 June 2008 - 01:07 PM

Good post :laugh:
Offical Sabre #782

#15 User is offline   3rd Recon 

• Coming Home to CA soon!!
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:3rd Recon

Posted 02 June 2008 - 03:56 PM

Just a note on cuting round things with a disc, the reason it bucked off was because you were moving in the same direction as the disc was spinning. if you go the opposite direction you will never have that problem.
Tippmann Owners Club #63 - My Feedback +4/-0
Put This In Your Sig if You Work Long And Hard For Your Paintball Money

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users