Special Ops Paintball: What Is The Perfect Barrel Length? - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What Is The Perfect Barrel Length? Rate Topic: ****- 3 Votes

#1 User is offline   PAINTBALLACE 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 February 2006 - 04:11 PM

Over the past few months I have been a Brigade Member at Special Ops, I have noticed many people on the forums have been posting things about "perfect" barrel length. With this post, I'd like to better inform some newcomers and to reduce the posts about this topic by adding my two cents about the "perfect" barrel length and some extra knowledge about ball to barrel sizing as well as where you get most of your accuracy from.

What Is The "Perfect" Barrel Length?

When you’re talking about barrel length, there are a few things you must consider.

First thing: Porting. Now, there are many gun barrels, which have porting. What porting does is cut down the effective barrel length of your barrel. What is effective barrel length? Well, effective barrel length is how many inches of your barrel a paintball uses for guidance. Effective barrel length is basically the length of your barrel without porting. Now many people like ported barrels because they’re quieter. Well, that is true, but you also must consider that ported barrels use more gas to push the paintball out of the barrel than non-ported barrels.

Second thing: Barrel Length Itself. Some people have certain views about the perfect barrel length. This can be from 8 or below to 18 or above. You really only need about 5 inches to get good performance out of a barrel (some may argue about the End-Game Three Inch). This is ideal since barrels such as this a very maneuverable and light (lighter than longer barrels; I’m not talking Stiffi right now). Others may argue, this makes the aft of your gun heavier and unbalanced in comparison to longer barrels. The reason for 18 inch and < barrels: #1: Style; #2: Sound Signature; #3 Balance (In some cases); #4: Intimidation. 18 inch and < barrels are very good looking. They are also very intimidating. Most 18 inch and < barrels are quieter than shorter barrels. And in some cases, these barrels balance out your gun. Now the cons of a longer barrel: #1: Uses more gas than shorter barrels; #2: Can put your gun out of balance (works both ways); #3: Not maneuverable at all; #4: Some people may laugh at you. The cons are pretty self-explanatory.

In Conclusion: I would say that a 12 inch barrel would be the best barrel length in regards to effective barrel length, sound signature, gas efficiency, and maneuverability; not in regards to your personal playing position or what type of paintball you normally play; you must answer that for yourself. Its really your decision to what length of barrel you want. There is not a huge amount of difference between a 3 or a 21 inch barrel. One topic which is very important is really just what works personally for you. You may have success with a longer barrel, you may have success with a smaller barrel. It really is important that you get what works for your game, not just works for another guy's game.

A Bit About Paint To Bore Match: Where The Accuracy Is Really At

Now a good bore to ball match: that is where the accuracy is at. Like I said, "There is not a huge amount of difference between a 3 or a 21 inch barrel." It is most important that the type of ball you use matches your barrel. This is the most crucial part for people who use one-piece aftermarket barrels. If you use different types of paintballs, get a good barrel kit with inserts (such as the Freak) or two piece barrel and buy different sized bore backs for each type of paint (such as the All American or Snapshot). The ball should not roll out of the barrel or be so you can blow it out. You can also get a ball sizer (Rufus Dawg sells them) to match paint to bore if you are buying off the internet. If you are not, you can take your paint to the store and you can see what barrel works best with the paint.

This post has been edited by PAINTBALLACE: 04 February 2006 - 05:15 PM

#2 Guest_SWATORNOT_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 04 February 2006 - 04:54 PM

View PostPAINTBALLACE, on Feb 4 2006, 04:11 PM, said:

Now many people like ported barrels because they’re quieter. Well, that is true, but you also must consider that ported barrels use more gas to push the paintball out of thebarrel than non-ported barrels.

This is the only thing that I will dispute...not many people, especially a paintball sniper like an un-ported barrel because of the noise level...take a look at just about any stock barrel on the market (with the exception of some high-end markers). There is little to no porting on them which results in a loud barrel.

A barrel that has approximately 3" of porting will not use any more gas than a barrel with absolutely no porting... the valve and drive spring tension is really all the same in both barrel settings with minimal adjustments. The valve still allows practically the same amount of air through to propel the ball out of the barrel at w/e velocity you have set it at.

The only real factor in the "gas consumption" is the longer barrels, it usually takes a bit more velocity adjustment to get the ball's velocity up high enough when compared to a 14" barrel.

A good barrel usually has the start of its porting no less than 7" after from the threaded end of a barrel, lenght sometimes varies this factor, but the longer barrels usually wil add more porting past a certain point. They will still allow for the maximum area of back pressure in a barrel which is generally the first 7" of a barrel.

Other than this part I think you had some really good intentions and input, keep adding to it maybe.

SWATORNOT :ph34r:

#3 User is offline   Femur Breaker 

• ^^^HeadshotPhantom makes a sweet avatar
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Femur Breaker

Posted 04 February 2006 - 04:59 PM

Nice post, very good quality information.

You bring up some very good points here. It all really comes down to which pros outweigh which cons in peoples minds. It is very good that you pointed out the pros and cons, because now people can determine which they truly want to have. I personally find that the 12-14" barrels should be the best lenght. Again, very good post. I think that you have the right idea with this.

I also agree that paint to barrel match is extremely important. If there is one thing to consider about a barrel, it is that. In my mind, length is a drop in the bucket compared to the overal match the paint has with the barrel.

I just have something small to add. When the barrel is on the marker, the ball should not travel past the ball detent. Yes, it should not roll out of the barrel when it is off the marker, but as I said the ball detent keeps the paint in the marker otherwise.

Also, you should be able to blow the paintball through the barrel with a good blow. You don't want it to be too tight of a fit, otherwise the paint will break on the way out. Paint that is more expensive will usually be more round in shape, so it will more consistently be the right match.

Other then this I like it.
I joined Myspace: Who wants to be my friend?...lol
Broken Bones Member (2 Femurs....!)
IPB Image

#4 User is offline   ninja monkey 

• Team: Shadow Company
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:M00K

Posted 04 February 2006 - 06:03 PM

well i will say from experience and i have been able to take my Tear Drop barrel out and play (14") and that thing got great distance and great accuracy.... in one game i actully took out a whole team by my self with the others help but it was all my shots and if i would have used an apex or a shorter barrel i dont think i would have had the distance or the accuracy to hit them..... so that i why i picked a 14 in barrel.... and i own an apex and a 81/2 ariakon barrel.... i guess you could say i am a barrel hore

#5 User is offline   caleberx 

• The Night's Shadow
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:caleberx

Posted 05 February 2006 - 07:38 AM

Very good information.

#6 User is offline   Swk da Snipe 

• One Shot Two Balls
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SWK THE SNIPE

Posted 05 February 2006 - 11:29 AM

it all depends on the paint you are shooting, a 3in could be more accurate thatn a 21in if the paint to barrel was better

SWK :D
If u got no $$ but still rock at paintball, put this on ur sig
YES I AM CHEAP WHAT YOU GONNA DO ABOUT IT
IPB Image

#7 User is offline   oldguny 

• The Chicago type writer.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Oldguny

Posted 05 February 2006 - 11:33 AM

good post! :D

When i see you your in my cross hairs,but when you see me your looking over your sholder still wondering why that tree is waving at you. "Explosives slove everthing"-Sandy WBC I'm going for a Sunday drive Navy Seal Style

#8 User is offline   Gspence 

• ?
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Gspence

Posted 05 February 2006 - 11:37 AM

i agree with swatornot. porting is added at the end of the barrel where the ball is fully accelerated.

also, areas with porting still control the ball's path.

i didnt bother to read any more because the first fact is false. also, i dont like the way you write.
IPB Image
IPB Image

#9 User is offline   sniper13 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:big bad sniper

Posted 06 February 2006 - 05:18 PM

wow looks like u did a bit of work on that one

props on that one there.

s13 :P
thank god we havent been shot at yet eh bob.......umm bob!

#10 Guest_Headshotjester_*

Posted 06 February 2006 - 05:23 PM

On a side note, J&J barrels' effective length doesn't increase with overall length added. The extra length added is all porting. Just incase no one knew that. :P

This post has been edited by Headshotjester: 06 February 2006 - 05:23 PM

#11 User is offline   Gspence 

• ?
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 February 2006 - 06:45 PM

View PostHeadshotjester, on Feb 6 2006, 04:23 PM, said:

On a side note, J&J barrels' effective length doesn't increase with overall length added. The extra length added is all porting. Just incase no one knew that. :D

even ported sections of the barrel stil guide the ball... isnt that what effective length is?
IPB Image
IPB Image

#12 Guest_Headshotjester_*

Posted 06 February 2006 - 06:46 PM

No, it's where the ball accelarates. Don't you watch WDR?

#13 User is offline   Gspence 

• ?
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 February 2006 - 07:52 PM

View PostPAINTBALLACE, on Feb 4 2006, 03:11 PM, said:

Well, effective barrel length is how many inches of your barrel a paintball uses for guidance.

i was just going by what he said...
IPB Image
IPB Image

#14 User is offline   adrenaLine 

• Team adrenaLine
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:adrenaLine a.k.a godSend

Posted 17 February 2006 - 05:29 AM

Sorry for previous post.

-adrenaLine

This post has been edited by adrenaLine: 17 February 2006 - 04:51 PM

Team Adrenaline

PM for sniper assistance.
Dagger/Commander- Telling the team what to do, then showing them how it's done.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users