Special Ops Paintball: Custom spray painting your marker - Primers? - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Custom spray painting your marker - Primers? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Gas Bag 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 September 2011 - 09:33 PM

At some stage fairly soon, I'm likely to get myself a paintball marker (most likely a BT) that I want to custom spray paint in camouflage colours. I've seen numerous clips that people have uploaded online showing how to do it, but all the spray paints used are American brands (mainly Krylon) which are not easily available in Australia. I'm already 99% sure which spray paints I intend to use, so paints and colours are not the issue here; it's primer(s) and preparation where I need some advice. I've made some previous inquiries in Forums, and all the replies I get don't give me any advice in regards to what primer(s) I should use - providing brand names of spray paint only available in America, or telling me to get it professionally coated, isn't the information I'm looking for.
Considering the number of people who have custom spray painted their Woodsball Markers, there must be some people who have experience on what sort of primer(s) to use.

#2 User is offline   Cuy'val Dar  

• 327 G.I.R. Bastogne Bulldogs
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MICHAEL J. CABOOSE

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:03 PM

I painted my smart parts sp8. I used no primer in the process. The paint looks okay right now, not like it did on day 1 but pretty close. Just rough up the surface of the marker a good bit and make sure it is free of any oil residues.
Posted Image

Doorbells? Seriously? That's the swear filter?
. -Pirate
"Authenticity bro, everyone voids their bowels when they die."
-Guy at end of paintball movie

#3 User is offline   1-I 

• Creator of the number 7
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Brigade Name:1-I

Posted 28 September 2011 - 08:50 AM

When I did my A5 a year or two ago I primed it with some of my left over GamesWorshop primer, this is expensive stuff but without question the best for dealing with inch and a half minitures so of course it work insanely well for the A5. This stuff can be found at comic/geek shops and of course there are off brands that cost less. Really mini based primers have worked the best for me over any hardware store primer that Ive ever used.

Also when you spray your primer try not to do it on a humid day, the humididty will just slow down the drying process and it may not bond as well as it should.
Posted Image

Glory is for the weak.

#4 User is offline   FreeEnterprise 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 29 September 2011 - 05:58 AM

Don't paint your marker... Most factory finishes are baked on, and spray painting will scratch off... Even with good primer...

It just isn't a hard enough finish to handle the abuse, I have heard of guys painting them and then baking the paint. I would guess that could work. But for the money, you just can't beat camo tape. It is available at gun stores, and if you take your time, you can really make your gun look amazing.

I did mine 5 years ago. I play A LOT, and it still looks great!

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 User is offline   Lt.Col.Vortex 

• Death itself
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 September 2011 - 08:01 PM

TO be honest, I do a lot of painting adn I dont use primer. Yha yah yah, yell all you want...

I just sand the finisher coat off the original paint with a fairly fine grit paper, then de-oil everything and paint. I consider the original paint a pretty good base, and the sand paper adds enough drip for the new paint to stick. With several coats and sandings later, it comes out pretty good.

If I'm doing a light color adn my base is a dark( suck as wanting a white finished product but have a black base), I'll put on a lighter base, and thats usually just some paint I find lying around.

I dont know too much about where paint is distributed, but Rustoleum paint is just wonderful. They have primers(I've never used them :) ), but their paint are just great. Their kinda on the thicker side, so putting on even coats things is easier. And their color selection is rather vast. They also have filler primers, ( I take it back, I have used their filler primer once before and it was pretty good).

Oh and welcome to the forum :)

#6 User is offline   1-I 

• Creator of the number 7
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Brigade Name:1-I

Posted 29 September 2011 - 08:28 PM

So since we are getting in detail on our methods.

When I did my A5 I stripped all the old paint off. Chemical, sandpaper, and wire brushes all got used and when I did spray primer it was on the bare metal.
The reason I painted my A5 was because the old paint had finally begun chipping and flaking so the full removal was necessary and I wouldnt recomend that one does this on a fresh body.
Posted Image

Glory is for the weak.

#7 User is offline   Supergyro 

• Ain't He Great, Folks?
  • PipPip

Posted 05 October 2011 - 06:01 AM

I'm pretty sure I've preached on this before but... :rolleyes:

Ok, I've come to realize that most any coating that doesn't require mixing as a 2 part deal is going to chip and scratch and basically let you down. Therefore, my thought is that it's best to invest less time and money in the finish, as it will only cause heartache when it starts to scratch and flake, but instead spend more energy on matching your pattern to your surroundings, and as soon as it's too ugly or there is too much black showing, just use some paint stripper and do it again!

In short, primer is going to help only a little, so skip it and go straight to spraying and praying! ;)
Posted Image
"Of course you know, this means war."-Bugs Bunny
"My friend got killed by a throwing star but I live because of DEagle."-Thalion

"The visible spectrum is...RAINBOWS"-Pirate

#8 User is offline   -SMITTY- 

• one of the original 27,731 members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:-SMITTY-

Posted 10 October 2011 - 05:23 PM

When I painted my SP8, I sanded it lightly and just went right to painting, Krylon makes camo spray paint, and it's very durable. Finish it off with a couple clear coats and you'll be fine

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users