• You cannot reply to this topic

How to order a sniper ntk Rate Topic: -----

#16 User is offline   Knightwolf16 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Knightwolf16

Posted 03 January 2008 - 06:44 PM

A battlefield is a dynamic and constanly changing place. By limiting a player with strict orders, you are severely limiting the player. Like the field, an sniper's order must be general and have the ability to change with the circumstances.
"Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war." William Shakespeare
Nous sommes les seigneurs de la guerre, tremblons avant nous
The Lords of War The Lords of War on MySpace The Lords of War MSN Group Page

#17 User is offline   prophet_subgenius 

• Colonel, Team Slack Attack
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:prophet_subgenius

Posted 05 January 2008 - 10:26 AM

Sample pregame sniper conversation (or possibly midgame in a scenario)

Sniper: Hey Boss, What you want me kill?

Commander: The enemy commander.

Sniper: Which one is he, boss?

Commander: Mr Majestic. He's short, carrying to radios, black cops 911 vest, OD BDU pants. He should be at or around his HQ (points at map) here.

Sniper: Anything special?

Commander: Yes, Rat Pack is running his base security. They are good.

Sniper: I know them. See ya on the other side.

Commander: I know you'll pull this off.
Paintball is a game. Win or lose you still need to wash your camo. Winners just use less soap.

#18 User is offline   ghostsniper 

• Hicks in the Sticks team captian
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:ghostsniper

Posted 07 January 2008 - 05:25 PM

^^^^^^^^^^ THAts how it works on my team. WHen im told who to pick off, im given the person, and any intel about the situation, and then Im on my own. Any sniper that knows his stuff should be able to take a map, the objective, and a strike time, and pull it off.
Faith in Humanity points: ...........err, what faith in humanity??

#19 User is offline   prophet_subgenius 

• PipPipPip

Posted 07 January 2008 - 08:57 PM

I have served as XO and traffic controller and temp commander at so many scenarios that I have to sit down and count patches to figure out how many, and every good sniper I've worked with is just like that. (By the way that was a real conversation between me and a sniper I know Including the Warcraft Orc 'Hey boss what you want me kill')
Paintball is a game. Win or lose you still need to wash your camo. Winners just use less soap.

#20 User is offline   ghostsniper 

• PipPip

Posted 08 January 2008 - 03:51 AM

thats what I mean. If you get someone that knows what there doing, you just give them the objective and a strike time. THats my favorite type of sniping to do.

#21 User is offline   Reb 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:No brigade affiliation

Posted 09 January 2008 - 12:47 PM

This all seems pretty well in line with the 'glamor' piece associated with the 'sniper'

I've seen a number of instances where a 'sniper' has been dispatched to do a job, and manages to get himself eliminated. Because he's out prowling around in limited or no contact with the rest of his team, the leader doesn't have a clue if the objective has been completed or not. This is why, rather than cut loose any of my players, I keep them on a rotating positional basis. a 'sniper' to me would be useful for going out, doing a fast recon, then getting his tail back to me and making a full report to the rest of the team.

Usually though, I'll get the kid in the ghillie who makes his mind up that he can serve the team better by not communicating any more, assuming he can make the magic, game winning shot, and leaving the bulk of his team in the dark as to where the hell he is.

I've personally sent out a kid one day at a scenario game to check out a berm ahead of us. A 5 minute recon job turned into us waiting forever to hear from him. He never came back, so we moved without him. Later on, we found out that he had not only crawled to the berm, but moved about a hundred meters past it to get into a good hiding spot. He was eliminated, and I didn't have a clue about it.

This is another reason that I don't use 'snipers' I use my ordinary players to accomplish 'sniper-like' tasks, then come back to the team and finish out the round in complete contact with the rest of the team.
I have never been shot by a player in a ghillie suit.

#22 User is offline   Warpaint 

• "Well...Shall We?"
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Warpaint537

Posted 09 January 2008 - 01:08 PM

View PostReb, on Jan 9 2008, 02:47 PM, said:

This all seems pretty well in line with the 'glamor' piece associated with the 'sniper'

Yeah, there really is too much of that. It puts unrealistic ideas in people's heads, and then the paintball sniper position never really develops to it's true potential.

I've seen a number of instances where a 'sniper' has been dispatched to do a job, and manages to get himself eliminated. Because he's out prowling around in limited or no contact with the rest of his team, the leader doesn't have a clue if the objective has been completed or not. This is why, rather than cut loose any of my players, I keep them on a rotating positional basis. a 'sniper' to me would be useful for going out, doing a fast recon, then getting his tail back to me and making a full report to the rest of the team.

That's a very effective sniper application. To be effective or contribute to the team, a sniper doesn't have to fire a shot. Sometimes a brief diversion or distraction is enough. Knowing a sniper is out there, good or not, can still keep a team "honest".

Usually though, I'll get the kid in the ghillie who makes his mind up that he can serve the team better by not communicating any more, assuming he can make the magic, game winning shot, and leaving the bulk of his team in the dark as to where the hell he is.

I've personally sent out a kid one day at a scenario game to check out a berm ahead of us. A 5 minute recon job turned into us waiting forever to hear from him. He never came back, so we moved without him. Later on, we found out that he had not only crawled to the berm, but moved about a hundred meters past it to get into a good hiding spot. He was eliminated, and I didn't have a clue about it.

A couple of issues here, not all attributable to the sniper; among these expectations, skill, tactics, leadership, and communication.

This is another reason that I don't use 'snipers' I use my ordinary players to accomplish 'sniper-like' tasks, then come back to the team and finish out the round in complete contact with the rest of the team.

A sniper is just another tool for a team to use. Sometimes a hammer works, and sometimes you need a screwdriver. Some people are good with tools, and others are better with computers, but that's no indicator of which person is better or more useful. Most tools are intended for specific uses, and really only deliver their true potential when wielded by a craftsman. Most times, when you have a job to do, you use what you got, and what you know how to use. :unsure:

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." ~ Edmund Burke ~ "Well...shall we?" ~ Hoot, Black Hawk Down
Posted Image

#23 User is offline   ghostsniper 

• PipPip

Posted 09 January 2008 - 01:59 PM

it may seem like we are portraying the glamour side of sniping, but thats how things really go down on my team.

#24 User is offline   Saifoda2 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Saifoda

Posted 10 January 2008 - 12:33 PM

No offense ghostsniper, but the way you've discussed sniper issues in the past I seriously doubt the validity of "how it really goes down" on your team. And besides, that is hardly the point of this topic -- whether or not you guys

Reb and Warpaint, you guys talked about some interesting issues with the sniper. One of the key elements of using the sniper the way was discussed above is that they are YOUR sniper, not some dude you don't really know anything about other than they're wearing a ghillie suite with a 98 custom and 21 inch barrel (which should already be an immidiate "NO" indicator anyway). For example, the only sniper missions I've really had on my team we've only sent the players we know can accomplish the objective, and usually I go on these missions myself (depending on the importance of the success -- the team can operate with me having to be baby sit). Gotta go, be back later hopefully.
Proud to be sponsored by: REDZ, Warpaint International, VPSByte, Action Acres, Dangerous Power
Leaders Lead from the Front

#25 User is offline   ghostsniper 

• PipPip

Posted 12 January 2008 - 06:10 PM

Saifoda2 ----first of all, I would like to extend an invite to my labour day tourney so that you ma see how it really works on my team. Second of all, dont tell me I dont know about sniping, as thats all i do. Im known for my skills in the surrounding 5 towns, and with some of my friends 200 miles away, so dont even go down that route.

On my team, we use true to life tactics,not ones custom tailered to paintball. So I truly do take a map ( I make maps of the fields I play showing distances, terrain, and hotspots) , time frame, and intel to get the job done. And im usually alone, I prefer it that way.

SO heres my question to YOu, why do you think I dont know what Im talking about.-- not trying to start a flame war, I just want to know what I said about sniping " in the past" so that I may clear anything I said up and avoid problems in the future

This post has been edited by ghostsniper: 12 January 2008 - 06:13 PM

#26 User is offline   Animal Mother 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:///Animal Mother///

Posted 12 January 2008 - 07:48 PM

Anytime we have had a sniper on the team, we would allow him to work the field on his own, but he always stayed in radio contact. Most players that I've met who consider themselves snipers, tend to work better alone, and are highly adept at making tactical decisions on their own. This of course is just my opinion.

P.S. There are very few players that I would even consider calling a "Sniper" but there are a "few" out there.

This post has been edited by Animal Mother: 12 January 2008 - 07:48 PM

#27 User is offline   prophet_subgenius 

• PipPipPip

Posted 13 January 2008 - 08:37 AM

Of course all this assumes that we are discussing an ambush sniper creeping behind enemy lines and getting sneaky kills independantly. Longbow snipers and Ghost flankers are two different balls of string. I find longbow snipers easy to work with. And Ghost flankers can be complicated as they are intended to work with your squad and may require mid game instruction based on what the squad is doing. For them I recomend a radio with ear piece to allow them to hear without breaking stealth.

#28 User is offline   Hurricane 

• Play Hard, Play Smart
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:TheHurricane

Posted 13 January 2008 - 09:52 AM

View Postprophet_subgenius, on Jan 13 2008, 10:37 AM, said:

Of course all this assumes that we are discussing an ambush sniper creeping behind enemy lines and getting sneaky kills independantly. Longbow snipers and Ghost flankers are two different balls of string. I find longbow snipers easy to work with. And Ghost flankers can be complicated as they are intended to work with your squad and may require mid game instruction based on what the squad is doing. For them I recomend a radio with ear piece to allow them to hear without breaking stealth.

i agree with prophet, radios are a must for sniper. but for our WHOLE team we are all outfitted with radio+ear-mics for easy communication. i recconmend this to anyone. its not about stealth its about convience and you always want to be able to talk to your commander or team mate without screaming accros the field. ive seen more kills and covers blown by yelling then you can imagine i reconmend just a simple 8-10 mile radio with a ear mic and a push button that can clip onto your collar, one step up would be the SO Paintball mics, also for an added feature i recconmend the PTT system which allows you to talk to your team hands free... so an example... hey mike hows it going. pretty good, yeah?, oh yeah so did you see the pats game... (all while blowing people away).. of corse im just kidding about the talking about pats in the middle of a paintball game.. it was a poor attempt at humor.
Team Brute Force
Generously Sponsored By:
Planet Eclipse | PnL Paintball | Valken | Visions Edge | Exalt | Energy Batteries

#29 User is offline   HOUND1 

• VVVCheese Its!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:AMRAAM11

Posted 13 January 2008 - 02:05 PM

our team has a few radois and earpieces. being the commander, i have one, my sniper has one, and my second in command has one so that all 3 of the groups are connnected.
Posted Image

#30 User is offline   prophet_subgenius 

• PipPipPip

Posted 13 January 2008 - 08:15 PM

I don't care for VOX as I hate listeneing to someone breath hard after running down field. Throat mics are nice.

Share this topic:

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users