• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My own job topic Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Shalendar 

• The kittens of my bone marrow are pleased
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 May 2009 - 05:55 PM

ive been trying to do free-lance web design/development. Ive fixed friends' virused computers. and i can build desktops.
i would really like to get a tech related job. i can also help set up, run, and tear down sound and light equipment.
im trying Geek Squad and any local computer store thats hiring. what other jobs should i look at?

"thats my goal, get sigged by everybody on the forums" - Spades -- "who knows when I'll need a barrel in my ASA?" - MIR Sniper
3 types of people in the world: Sheep, Wolves, and Sheepdogs. I am a Sheepdog. -- My feedback (+3/-0)

#2 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 24 May 2009 - 06:30 PM

Dunno about in the US but 99% of the places here require you to be A+ certified for building/teching computer hardware. I don't think there's an age minimum to get it but there is a fee to take the test.

If you are familiar with sound and lighting systems talk to your local bands and see if they need a raodie.

Is there a photocopy distributor near by? Maybe you could "apprentice" with their repair crew?

Phone/cable installer? Age might be an issue there though.
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#3 User is offline   Shalendar 

• PipPip

Posted 25 May 2009 - 03:53 PM

thanks for the advice, puz. ill check around. I hadnt thought about the photo copier thing.

how come my job topic gets almost nothing, while the other one gets 2 pages?

"thats my goal, get sigged by everybody on the forums" - Spades -- "who knows when I'll need a barrel in my ASA?" - MIR Sniper
3 types of people in the world: Sheep, Wolves, and Sheepdogs. I am a Sheepdog. -- My feedback (+3/-0)

#4 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 25 May 2009 - 04:03 PM

Because you don't change your socks?
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#5 User is offline   ike123 

• Cha togar m' fhearg gun dýoladh
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:ike

Posted 25 May 2009 - 04:13 PM

View PostShalendar, on May 25 2009, 03:53 PM, said:

thanks for the advice, puz. ill check around. I hadnt thought about the photo copier thing.

how come my job topic gets almost nothing, while the other one gets 2 pages?

Because you're looking for a specific-ish thing, while the other one was just ideas in general.

As for tech jobs, most places will want you to be 18 and have a lot of knowledge. This means you'll be competing with college kids, and most likely lose. My advice is to look for a job first, apply to EVERYTHING, then you can choose whats best based on who gives you an interview/job offer.
Paintball isn't my hobby, it's my lifestyle. Go hard or go home.

#6 User is offline   Shalendar 

• PipPip

Posted 25 May 2009 - 04:25 PM

best buy doesnt require 18, but theyre prolly not hiring much right now. im gonna check with some local computer stores first. then start broadening my search. i would really like to avoid food and retail. if its tech, video game, or paintball retail, i guess id be okay with it. but i think the local pball stores require a bunch of field work and reffing before they let you in the store.

#7 User is offline   Capone5 

• Worlds best Paintballer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:CAPONE5

Posted 25 May 2009 - 04:29 PM

Honestly try craigslist not sure about your area but in the mass area there are always companies looking for people like you.....its free and worth a shot.
CDI- Capone Defense Inc. 2010 CLF

#8 User is offline   Flippy the Wonder Bunny 

• My E-MAN PART is bigger than yours
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 May 2009 - 04:50 PM

Maybe try to get a job working for the schools fixing computers and stuff, I know there are a few kids that do that here.

View PostCapone5, on May 25 2009, 06:29 PM, said:

Honestly try craigslist not sure about your area but in the mass area there are always companies looking for people like you.....its free and worth a shot.

Wow, I didn't expect to see you here again.

#9 User is online   The Stuntman 

• I feel like I'm taking Crazy Pills!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:The Stuntman

Posted 25 May 2009 - 05:15 PM

Internships & trade schools...
get a vocational AA (2 year degree) from a local community college in a general tech related field - like web design, electronics or computer science & try to get into an intern position thru the school. It will get you at least a minimum "book learning" and a chance to get some experience for a resume.
These kinds of jobs have a way of finding YOU, so the best thing you can do is to be prepared for when it happens.

#10 User is offline   Scouting Sniper 

• Sniper
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:emerald.kontact

Posted 25 May 2009 - 06:00 PM

You said lights and sound, an area I am trying to get more into, because I enjoy the knoweldge I already have. I got mine in the theatre. Are there any theatres in your area looking for a techi?
Christian 'Baller

If you are under 16 and pay for your own gear, put this in your signature.

Furtim, Patientia, Veneratio

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users