• You cannot reply to this topic

Getting a phantom need help deciding Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Harry092 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Headshot_Harry

Posted 16 April 2008 - 05:44 PM

Ok ive decided to finally take the plunge and join the pump crowd. Ive decided that out of the four guns i own my a5 isnt cutting it and am going to sell it and buy a phantom. Ever since i heard about the phantom ive known that i would eventually get one. So ive got about 250 to spend and was wondering what you guys would think would be the best ups to buy. Im leaning toward RSC over VSC cuz im always crawling around and im afraid that id hit the bucket changer on the VSC. I also like how its a tad more low-profile. Ive heard that its a lot faster to change 12 grams on a VSC than RSC, is this true or is it about the same? Would u guys recomend a dropout changer? I like how its very low profile, and it seems like it would be a fast change, do u think its a faster change than a normal RSC?Can i still use the dropout changer with a 15 round tube or will it get in the way of the knob? I'm thinking as of right now that im going to get the RSC with 45 grips, a dropout changer, detent rings, and a trigger shoe which = about 250. Is there anything that u guys would add or subtract, i can go a little over my budget if needed.

#2 User is offline   aqua_scummm 

• one half of the wonder that is legaqua
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:aqua_scummm

Posted 16 April 2008 - 05:50 PM

speed of changing 12grams is in the user and how well versed they are with it. A lot of VSC users try another location (island style or rear air) and are slow, not because of the location, but because they're not familiar with it.

Either do rear air or dropout, I wouldn't bother with both. I kinda wish I had gone dropout, looking back, I might swap to a dropout valve soon.

I think a 15 round tube goes past the dropout, so the only downside is you have to twist the dropout valve's thumbscrew from the sides, not the top. I think with a 10 round feed the feedgate is bent upwards a bit, but not a big deal. You can also cut it down to fit.

#3 User is offline   Harry092 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 20 April 2008 - 07:37 PM

ok thanx a lot :ninja:

#4 User is offline   Ritsuka 

• One of these days I'm going to cut you into little pieces
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:D-Becks

Posted 21 April 2008 - 06:56 PM

Or you could do what Aqua_Scummm (Dang just realized how many "M"s you had in Scum.) just said but get a 10 round stickfeed instead of 15, so you do not encounter the problem he listed. But a 10 round stickfeed with a dropout changer looks somewhat weird, but maybe its just me...

This post has been edited by DARK_KIDO: 21 April 2008 - 06:57 PM

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad like the most of us are, very hard to explain why your mad, even if your not mad."

#5 User is offline   jiu-jitsu fighter 

• Would you rather me barrel tag you or choke you unconscious
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Jiu-Jitsu Fighter

Posted 21 April 2008 - 07:47 PM

If you have crawled around wiht any gun that had a reg, or grip like on the 98's or a-5's. It is kind of the same. I really have had no problems crawling with a vsc. I think the rsc is cleaner looking. But for playing wise I love the vsc.

My reasons. I love using the foregrip to aim instead of just holding the pump handle. I am faster with the vsc than the rear changer. Another benefit to the vsc is if you chamber a ball so it is ready to fire before you change the 12 gram you can honestly keep someone off you for a split second. What I mean is I would cock and get a ball ready. Air would store for one shot. And because the 12 gram was near my trigger I could watch the field and see what I was doing so I wouldnt cross thread the 12 gram if I got in a hurry. And because I could still have my gun raised if someone came ot bunker me I could shot at them and make them stop long enough for me to finish.

Witht he rear sc I would have to tilt the gun down then carefully twist it back on because I woul dhave a problem not lining it up right. The dropout si probably the fastest and easiest. Not to mention I got almost 40 usable shots off my old dropout, compared to the 25-30 on my vsc.

If possible check all of the setups out before buying one. Another thing. As soon as you get it take an empty ten round tube and 2 12 grams and practice swapping out. I took the 10 round and praticed holding the gun popping the cap and loading with trying ot have little or no movement or having to concentrate on what I was doing. Then take the (empty) you dont want to twist a new one in then undo it to switch it and waste it. And just practice twisting dropping out the 12 gram. Sliding another in and screwing it back without having to focus on it. It will make your first day with it go better.

15 rounds stop alittle bit before the back of the dropout so you would be fine with a 15 and a dropout.
Pumpker'd; (V.) When a pump player runs up and shoots you at point blank range because you thought 20bps made you good.

My feedback

#6 User is offline   flyweightnate 

• Closed bolt. Rock n cock, or rock n roll.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:flyweightnate

Posted 22 April 2008 - 02:23 PM

I used a VSC for the weekend, and it was overall beautiful. 15rd is great, but you need at least 12" of stock. My stock was 10", so I kept tagging my mask with the stick feed. But VSC was a very natural feeling to change out the 12gs, and I could do it quickly enough that I never was "caught short". I've gotta sell this one (shameless plug check BST), but this summer I'm definitely buying a very similar Phantom, just might make a custom 'cocker-threaded body for it so I can use my barrel kits.

One thing that is very, very important, make sure you get the detent rings. Double feeds and rollouts are an absolute pain, and the rings should prevent the majority of both.
Feedback.
"Listen to nate hes always right, no joke"- Mighty Mike

#7 User is offline   Harry092 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 23 April 2008 - 09:36 PM

ok thanx, im not sure what im gonna do now lol. Theres no way that i can test them out cuz noone has one around here...I'm sure ill b happy with whatever i pick!:angry:

#8 User is offline   phantom pumper 

• Phantom Sniper
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:RECON EH?

Posted 29 April 2008 - 06:21 PM

I'm in the same vote as you man, but I'm buying the RSC, with a 3.5 oz tank on the back, an L-stock, and some detent rings. I've used a VSC and there great aswell, I rate them 11/10, both of them. And to comment your last few words, Yes, I'm sure you will be extremely satisfied with what you get. Welcome to the darkside bro, its a first for us both.

Phantom

This post has been edited by phantom pumper: 29 April 2008 - 06:23 PM

#9 User is offline   flyweightnate 

• Closed bolt. Rock n cock, or rock n roll.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:flyweightnate

Posted 29 April 2008 - 10:37 PM

Dark side? The dark side is any gun that can't get at least a case off a 72/4500. Phantoms... they're the bright side of life :)
Feedback.
"Listen to nate hes always right, no joke"- Mighty Mike

#10 User is offline   CamoDeafie 

• LVL 0 Human class flanker-
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 April 2008 - 10:44 PM

i think hes referring to us pumpers who are like bounty hunters or dark lords in the age of precise blastered stormtroopers :)
Team Black Sheep, Oregon Division
ex-gunwhore
"All at is subject to political manipulation except that which speaks the language of the same manipulation."-N.S.K./Laibach
"I think wearing camo is dishonorable " - /-wear me!?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users