• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Wind The stuff that blows your paint off course Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Lothaen 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 August 2008 - 04:45 PM

So what have you guys come up with for dealing with wind?

From playing around on Monday with a Phantom and some targets it seems like wind at 25 yards doesn't affect the shot much at all... maybe a few inches at most. 25 yards is really close range and targets at local fields will tend to be around this range in my experience, +- 10 yards or so.

When you long ball, the wind really seems to grab your paint and throw it around the most past 40 yards and more. I enjoy taking longer shots and practiced at longer distances with some good paint. It seems like it would be extremely helpful to have a piece of cloth or string, or to grab some dirt to check wind direction before the round starts.

During my time in OK I would have loved to have my current setup during some of the scenarios I attended at D Day adventure park. It seemed mid game the rush and intensity died down and people were more worried about paint and air rather than movement. In the open runway field there were some beautiful shots I would have liked to toy with.

Anyone have any thoughts or stories about your shot placement when fighting wind? During my practice time I launched some nice long shots into the wind and watched them gradually arch back and in line with the target. When you are facing an average windy day do you prefer to get closer or do you adjust your long ball shots to the wind?

Just looking for stories or others experiences! Thanks!

#2 User is offline   TheChaplain 

• solving the worlds deer population problems 290 grains at a time
  • PipPip

Posted 05 August 2008 - 05:59 PM

as an ambush sniper you shouldnt longball so the wind doesnt have much of an effect on the game

longballing abilities come with luck mostly though
You have the right to remain silentwhatever you say can and will be misquoted then used against you

#3 User is offline   Revenant 

• Mobile Strike Sniper
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Reno 07

Posted 05 August 2008 - 07:08 PM

If I have to take a long shot and it's windy, then I do one of two things:

1. Compensate for the wind from experience. (target shooting/playing on windy days)

2. Wait for the wind to die down. (my targets usually aren't moving too fast, if at all, they're just behind cover)

#4 User is offline   Ironbox 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 05 August 2008 - 10:37 PM

ok if it's windy and you have a reasonably quiet marker, actually check that you don't even need a quiet marker just not a cannon, even if you miss the first shot the opfor doesn't usually notice it giving time to compensate for it, also a tip of advice from a golfer, if theirs any light brush/grass you can rip it up and let it go into the wind and watch where it goes
and as for compensation, i generally aim (looking at the target using your perspective of measurement) for a light wind a couple inches, for medium wind, 6 inches to a foot, and for heavy wind 1 foot to 1.5 feet i think that's about right, one of those "easier to do on the field when it's happening then teaching moments"
ultimately it's just luck and compensating for the last shots screw up
good luck in your endeavor

#5 User is offline   Piller 

• Piller
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Piller

Posted 06 August 2008 - 11:00 AM

There isn't a whole lot you can do except become get used to it. After a good deal of familiarity with your gear you may be able to instinctively compensate for the amount of wind you feel. However, about the only thing you can do is just fire and adjust. At 40 yards your lucky for paint to even break on its target much yet travel straight. 25 yards is about the maximum to which any good paintball shoot-outs take place.
Automaggot #123 - Pump User #152 - ICE Epic Owner
"Marketing hype in paintball?! The nerve of some people. After all, we paintballers would never throw our hard earned cash into the magic box of marketing hype."

#6 User is offline   Wrzesinski 

• Gives his $.02
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Wrzesinski

Posted 12 August 2008 - 03:59 PM

adjust your shot and take it again...if you are longballing it and your barrel isnt made of noise the enemy shouldn't be able to figure out where you are till you get them...
The signature in this location has been removed due to FORUM RULES VIOLATIONS. Please check this link : FORUM SIGNATURE RULES AND REGS and feel free to repost your signature according to the guidelines set by this forum.
Being too awesome :P

Who has the best girlfriend in the whole wide world? ME!

#7 User is offline   Jonas 

• Woodsball? Sounds fun.
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:H

Posted 12 August 2008 - 04:07 PM

If you have the time and patience, go ahead and make a range card that you can carry around with you when you play. When you're at your shooting range, take the wind speed and distance, write it on the card and shoot, adjusting your scope or whatever you use to aim enough until you hit the target. Then write down how many adjustments you had to make for that amount of wind and distance. There you go, you have your first range card. Keep doing that using variable wind and range amounts until you have a decent amount, then refer to the card while shooting at the opfor.
Yeah I use an M-16 grip, wanna fight about it?

Best webcomic ever.

#8 User is offline   grnberet2b 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:GB2B

Posted 12 August 2008 - 04:08 PM

There are so many factors when you start talking about wind, its not even funny... The first one I can think of is your velocity, then there's plenty of others. To deal with wind, you just need to build an instinct for compensation. Shoot, compensate, shoot again, repeat until you get a hit. Chances are, if they're going to start shooting back at you rather than take cover, its going to take longer for them to line up on you since you already have a headstart with compensating for the distance and wind.

Personally? I usually don't have to compensate too much with my marker, but then, I always play woodsball, and the trees really break up whatever wind there may be.

#9 User is offline   Lothaen 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 12 August 2008 - 06:51 PM

If you have the time and patience, go ahead and make a range card that you can carry around with you when you play. When you're at your shooting range, take the wind speed and distance, write it on the card and shoot, adjusting your scope or whatever you use to aim enough until you hit the target. Then write down how many adjustments you had to make for that amount of wind and distance. There you go, you have your first range card. Keep doing that using variable wind and range amounts until you have a decent amount, then refer to the card while shooting at the opfor.

I have thought about a range card, but my red dot doesn't have any means to make quick click adjustments. It would be neat to play with such settings... but you would need adjustments for all ranges which you intend to shoot since the longer paint flight time from a farther target allows the wind to act on the projectile for a longer time.

#10 User is offline   Jonas 

• Woodsball? Sounds fun.
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:H

Posted 12 August 2008 - 06:56 PM

View PostLothaen, on Aug 12 2008, 09:51 PM, said:

I have thought about a range card, but my red dot doesn't have any means to make quick click adjustments. It would be neat to play with such settings... but you would need adjustments for all ranges which you intend to shoot since the longer paint flight time from a farther target allows the wind to act on the projectile for a longer time.

Then all you can simply do is sight it to the average distance you shoot someone from and learn to gage the wind and adjust your aim accordingly. It's all about experience, you'll get better the more you do it.
Yeah I use an M-16 grip, wanna fight about it?

Best webcomic ever.

#11 User is offline   junckie25 

• Junckie25
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Junckie25

Posted 12 August 2008 - 06:59 PM

Well sine there isn't much you can do I would say you should just get closer to your target.
Smile.... tomorrow will be worse.

#12 User is offline   andrew h 

• death is on the wind...
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:*shadow*

Posted 18 August 2008 - 08:28 PM

i usually aim about 6 inches off to compensate for wind if there is any. also when checking your wind look to the trees. by looking at how much sway there is you can generally tell wind direction and average speed.
so a bush shot you?...
...fear the sniper

official sniper #23
play here! -> http://www.forestfirepb.com/

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users