• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:SHIPWRECK!

Posted 20 September 2009 - 01:23 AM

View PostLegato, on Sep 18 2009, 12:39 AM, said:

View PostShipwreck!, on Sep 17 2009, 11:22 PM, said:

View PostMurderDeathKill, on Sep 17 2009, 01:29 PM, said:

holy pants, that sounds awexome. Do want!

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=9lnW4VGqVQY

Here's the link to the video, witness the holy pants awesomeness...

then all you have to do is buy an SMG 68 and make a simple mod to the striper clips (so I hear).

Oh, yeah, and buy a pants load of first strike paint.

Your hardest part would be finding stripper clips. That's what makes many SMGs unusable. They have few stripper clips remaining. Most were lost on fields or thrown out by parents. You'd need to find a decent amount (IIRC you could chain 4 together for a20 PB clip). And you'd really and i mean really want to find one of those clipper catchers to catch them as they eject. Cause if not, good luck finding them on the field after a game. Like i said, many were lost that way. The catcher mounts on the eject port of the clips and catches them for you into a little sac/bag.

Dude the striper clips! No I don't know where to find them.

I was thinking a while ago that paintball gun hoppers need to go... 'cause the do, they just get in the way WAYYY too much. No mater how much you don't mind them, or are used to them, you can't argue that having them is better than not: that's just not logical, assuming that you could load just as much ammo without. So I was thinking of a way to get rid of them without sacrificing ammo and I was like:

"Duh! Belt fed paintball gun!" Just like a machine gun but with paintballs, so I started drawing up designs and I came up with a belt that looked almost just like the "stripper clips" except my design was longer of course and had these big hooks for pulling it through.

Anyway, I started hearing about this SMG .68 just a few days ago, I looked it up found pics of those stripper clips! It was really disapointing to find that it's already been done, but also very exciting to find that... it's already been done! 'Cause I would have no idea how to make it myself, no desire to give it to some major corporation who wouldn't pay me for the idea, and a big company probably wouldn't even listen to me if I I did.

But that's what they need to do, make a new and imporved version of the SMG 68 with 100 ball "stipper clips" aka ammo belts, that fit into ammo boxes. Added bonus, if you get someone to load for you, you could provide constant suppresive fire until you run out of air: everytime a box starts running low, just clip a new 100 round belt to the end of the one you're shooting, no gap in the firing, basically you can reload before you run out.

Then, gone would be the dark ages of the big ugly boxes that cause'd jams 'cause you were shooting faster than gravity could feed, and the big ugly stupidly expensive boxes that shot paintballs down with electronic wheels that broke 'cause the electronics couldn't handle the abuse of paintball, and who's batteries died in the middle of games. Big ugly boxes that blocked the shooter's veiw resulting in you getting gogged because opposing players were hiding behind your own gun! Big ugly boxes that blocked sights, blocked access tor carry handles, and took up valuable real estate where a tactical flashlight could have been mounted!

My fellow paintballers... I have a dream!

Oh yeah, I almost forgot my shameless self plug that might save you money:
DIY Tippmann Flattop Rail:
http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index...p;#entry2419760
"If they wanna be asinine about this, we'll just be asinine right back."
A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

#2 User is offline   Gas mask 

• Signed on for the first time in 4 years.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:GAS MASK

Posted 21 September 2009 - 11:12 AM

Belt feed may sound like a good idea, but you gotta remember that if the belt gets hit, it's gonna make a soup machine out of your tippman. However, it'd be really cool to see.

I am PayPal Verified.

#3 User is offline   AaronC 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 September 2009 - 12:43 PM

The advantages of hoppers far outweigh their occasional inconveniences. When your hopper runs low you can easily dump a pod into it if your pods are empty you can easily top them back up. Belt feed would be a huge pain wheres the fun in laying down a bunch of paint if it takes you all day to load that paint up? Hell just playing stockclass loading my ten round tubes sucks and I'm only loading maybe 100 balls in a day. If you are having people gog you because your hopper was in the way you are holding your marker wrong try tilting it a smidge it will lower your profile and improve your line of sight. If your gravity hopper jams buy a powered hopper. If your hopper batteries die mid game try replacing them before you play and you will never have that problem again. I've never had a powered hopper break on me from the abuse of paintball either I don't know where that came from.

I'm not sure a belt fed unit would really solve anything in the end you'd be replacing a hopper on top with a more complicated hopper system underneath. Maybe take a look at the Qloader or Warp Feed if you want a more practical alternative.

#4 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:I.K.E.

Posted 21 September 2009 - 12:55 PM

Hoppers are cheaper, easier, and faster to use. As Aaron said, the occasional negatives do not outweigh the positives. Complicated feed systems (see:cyclone) have a lower reliability rate, and a more expensive build. The more complex something is, the more likely something is to go wrong with it.
"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123
"Overkill is underrated." -Col. John "Hannibal" Smith
Posted Image ... another Staff granted wish.

#5 User is offline   shadow_772 

• Never compromise, even in the face of armageddon
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Shadow_772

Posted 21 September 2009 - 02:42 PM

Decent electronic hoppers are great IMO.

#6 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 September 2009 - 05:25 PM

View PostGas mask, on Sep 21 2009, 11:12 AM, said:

Belt feed may sound like a good idea, but you gotta remember that if the belt gets hit, it's gonna make a soup machine out of your tippman. However, it'd be really cool to see.

Well, ideally the belt would be contained in an ammo box below the marker, essentially the same big ugly box, just not in your line of sight and / or in your way... as much.

but even ideally there would be some amount of the belt exposed where this could happen, that's a good point and would make for a bad day!
A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

#7 User is offline   CamoDeafie 

• LVL 0 Human class flanker-
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 September 2009 - 05:33 PM

ACTUALLY......the stripper clips...........would be such a boon for the SMG68 to use the Tiberus FS rounds..... nix the belt feed ideas....i mean honestly....how are you gonna load the belt!? ;) they'd be coming pre-loaded (Tippmann did that for the SMG60 and 68) but after a while? the electro hoppers are cheaper and more useful....even the AT-85 with the big front loader/grip that seems to work just fine for people with ATs.....but the company decided it was more economical to have an adapter mag box that will accept regular guppy/electro hoppers to the system, still moving the hopper away from the center line, and lower profile, but with the reliability of their chain drive (until it jams...to which, i havent heard of them jamming the chain drive.... good engineering IMO)
Team Black Sheep, Oregon Division
ex-gunwhore
"All at is subject to political manipulation except that which speaks the language of the same manipulation."-N.S.K./Laibach
"I think wearing camo is dishonorable " - /-wear me!?

#8 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 September 2009 - 05:38 PM

View PostAaronC, on Sep 21 2009, 12:43 PM, said:

The advantages of hoppers far outweigh their occasional inconveniences. When your hopper runs low you can easily dump a pod into it if your pods are empty you can easily top them back up. Belt feed would be a huge pain wheres the fun in laying down a bunch of paint if it takes you all day to load that paint up? Hell just playing stockclass loading my ten round tubes sucks and I'm only loading maybe 100 balls in a day. If you are having people gog you because your hopper was in the way you are holding your marker wrong try tilting it a smidge it will lower your profile and improve your line of sight. If your gravity hopper jams buy a powered hopper. If your hopper batteries die mid game try replacing them before you play and you will never have that problem again. I've never had a powered hopper break on me from the abuse of paintball either I don't know where that came from.

I'm not sure a belt fed unit would really solve anything in the end you'd be replacing a hopper on top with a more complicated hopper system underneath. Maybe take a look at the Qloader or Warp Feed if you want a more practical alternative.

How is a hopper underneath that DOESN'T require it's own independently operated and powered feed mechanism MORE complicated than one on top that DOES require it's own independently operated and powered feed mechanism?
There is no system to an ammo box, it's JUST a box... with ammo in it. Just as simple as a non-powered hopper but not in your way.

Good idea tilting the hopper but I use a tac cap. I conserve paint (1/2 a bag a day), lower my profile way more, and improve my line of sight, way more.

Yeah, if you can exactly calculate when the batteries will die and thus which game to replace them before. Otherwise you'll be blowing your cash on more batteries than you need, or having them die on you.

Have you ever dropped a powered hopper in a river? 'Cause I've droped my marker in one, and it shot fine because: no extra, unnesecary, electronic periphrials that the gun depends on to shoot.

I did have to shake out the water for a few seconds though.
A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

#9 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 September 2009 - 05:44 PM

View PostI.K.E., on Sep 21 2009, 12:55 PM, said:

Hoppers are cheaper, easier, and faster to use. As Aaron said, the occasional negatives do not outweigh the positives. Complicated feed systems (see:cyclone) have a lower reliability rate, and a more expensive build. The more complex something is, the more likely something is to go wrong with it.

I use an a-5. In four years of playing my friends electro guns have brocken down almost every game day, at least every other game day. It's always something, hopper bateries died, trigger batteries died, timing is off, etc. etc.

My a5 with cyclone broke down exactly, 2 game days out of those four years. One of them it turned out I was just over-loading the tac cap, not even a real breakdown just a noob...ness.

And once the cyclone did actually stop working. Took it apart, couldn't find anything wrong, put it back together and never had a problem again. These things are built like tanks.

Also I think the only time a hopper would be easier is loading pre game, just dump in the paint. Loading paint into belt would be time consuming and harder.

But in game, just clipping a new belt to the end of a current belt would be way easier and faster than grabbing a pod, opening the lid, opening the hopper, dumping the pod, closing both lids, then putting the pod back.

This post has been edited by Shipwreck!: 21 September 2009 - 05:49 PM

A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

#10 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 September 2009 - 05:52 PM

View PostCamoDeafie, on Sep 21 2009, 05:33 PM, said:

ACTUALLY......the stripper clips...........would be such a boon for the SMG68 to use the Tiberus FS rounds..... nix the belt feed ideas....i mean honestly....how are you gonna load the belt!? ;) they'd be coming pre-loaded (Tippmann did that for the SMG60 and 68) but after a while? the electro hoppers are cheaper and more useful....even the AT-85 with the big front loader/grip that seems to work just fine for people with ATs.....but the company decided it was more economical to have an adapter mag box that will accept regular guppy/electro hoppers to the system, still moving the hopper away from the center line, and lower profile, but with the reliability of their chain drive (until it jams...to which, i havent heard of them jamming the chain drive.... good engineering IMO)

Huh? What's boon? I thought just pushing the paintball into the loops. The point of magazines / belts is to load all the mags/belts you'll need before the game, so that you never have to load them in the middle of a game.

I'm lost now, what? Chain drive?
A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

#11 User is offline   CamoDeafie 

• LVL 0 Human class flanker-
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 September 2009 - 06:09 PM

look up Get Real Paintball's AT-10, TS-1, AT-85 :P its one of the FEW that has an ammo box UNDER the breech, their magazines uses a chain drive that is operated by the action of the bolt moving backwards with pneumatic assist, which the bolt pushes a rack, the rack drives the cogs, the chain moves the paintball up into the breech. its like a Warp feed, but with chain........not a metal link chain, but one that looks like a ladder from the head on, on which the paintball is on the rungs....from the side, it looks like a chain of paintballs.....boon is advantage...instead of shellign big bucks for a Tac 8 tailored to the FS rounds, you;d be able to use bot hthe FS rounds and paintballs in the stripper clip, as the clips have cylindrical holes, instead of being spherical, so the first strike rounds would fit them just fine...just remember which side is front ;)
Team Black Sheep, Oregon Division
ex-gunwhore
"All at is subject to political manipulation except that which speaks the language of the same manipulation."-N.S.K./Laibach
"I think wearing camo is dishonorable " - /-wear me!?

#12 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 September 2009 - 10:29 PM

View PostCamoDeafie, on Sep 21 2009, 06:09 PM, said:

look up Get Real Paintball's AT-10, TS-1, AT-85 :D its one of the FEW that has an ammo box UNDER the breech, their magazines uses a chain drive that is operated by the action of the bolt moving backwards with pneumatic assist, which the bolt pushes a rack, the rack drives the cogs, the chain moves the paintball up into the breech. its like a Warp feed, but with chain........not a metal link chain, but one that looks like a ladder from the head on, on which the paintball is on the rungs....from the side, it looks like a chain of paintballs.....boon is advantage...instead of shellign big bucks for a Tac 8 tailored to the FS rounds, you;d be able to use bot hthe FS rounds and paintballs in the stripper clip, as the clips have cylindrical holes, instead of being spherical, so the first strike rounds would fit them just fine...just remember which side is front :)

That is probably the most thorough response to one of my many all question mark posts I've ever gotten.
THANK YOU!
A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

#13 User is offline   AaronC 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 September 2009 - 09:08 AM

View PostShipwreck!, on Sep 21 2009, 08:38 PM, said:

How is a hopper underneath that DOESN'T require it's own independently operated and powered feed mechanism MORE complicated than one on top that DOES require it's own independently operated and powered feed mechanism?

Your system would also require a new mechanism you can't just hook a belt feed up to a feedneck on a marker without having a totally redesigned marker or an independent feed system.

There is no system to an ammo box, it's JUST a box... with ammo in it. Just as simple as a non-powered hopper but not in your way.

yeah a box is a box

Good idea tilting the hopper but I use a tac cap. I conserve paint (1/2 a bag a day), lower my profile way more, and improve my line of sight, way more.
a centerfeed marker tilted gives you a better line of sight than even an A5 with a tac cap

Yeah, if you can exactly calculate when the batteries will die and thus which game to replace them before. Otherwise you'll be blowing your cash on more batteries than you need, or having them die on you.
My smoke alarm batteries die on me too but I don't just say batteries are a waste of money and hope a neighbour wakes me up if my house catches fire.

Have you ever dropped a powered hopper in a river? 'Cause I've droped my marker in one, and it shot fine because: no extra, unnesecary, electronic periphrials that the gun depends on to shoot.

Ah the underwater debate! I don't play underwater but I do play in the pouring rain and my hopper keeps on working. The paint getting wet is the biggest problem and a belt feed won't stop that. If anything damp paint swelling in the belt mechanism would be a critical failing of the design.

I did have to shake out the water for a few seconds though.
if you shake it more than twice you are playing with it

#14 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 September 2009 - 10:08 AM

First of all - I appreciate the enthusiasm Shipwreck.

Undermount box feeds have been done, w/ force feed hopper internals of course. I know, you want something that doesn't rely on batteries. But, designing & building a new belt fed marker would cost alot more than replacing a dozen 9v a year. If replacing them is that much of an issue, that's what rechargeables are for. Plus the warp hose to transfer the balls to the feed neck keep them protected from the elements, something a belt wouldn't do, unless it were completely encased as well.
ger
You bought the brand, not my allegiance.

#15 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 September 2009 - 04:40 PM

View Postger, on Sep 22 2009, 10:08 AM, said:

First of all - I appreciate the enthusiasm Shipwreck.

Undermount box feeds have been done, w/ force feed hopper internals of course. I know, you want something that doesn't rely on batteries. But, designing & building a new belt fed marker would cost alot more than replacing a dozen 9v a year. If replacing them is that much of an issue, that's what rechargeables are for. Plus the warp hose to transfer the balls to the feed neck keep them protected from the elements, something a belt wouldn't do, unless it were completely encased as well.

A belt fed marker already exists dude, the SMG 68. Of course Tippmann could definently update it.

And even if someone did build a whole new one: It would not cost me more money to buy an electro marker and a powered hopper and batteries than it would cost for me to buy a marker that does the same thing mechanically off of co2.

Thank you, appreciate that you appreciate the entusiasm.
A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users