• You cannot reply to this topic

A-5 or 98 custom pro? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Brad 83 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:brad 83

Posted 26 June 2008 - 05:57 PM

A-5 has got the custom pro beat on looks thstd for sure, but which one performs better? Co2 wise? give me your opinion, which one do u think performs better?
BRAD

#2 User is offline   Evil Fingers 

• ELITE Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 June 2008 - 06:25 PM

Get the 98, the only reason...you have the Option of Mounting and using the Cyclone or not, with the A5 youre stuck with the Cyclone.

Other than what I posted, both Markers are equal in Performance, unless youre more concerned about Looks, then go for the A5.

#3 User is offline   SHOOTSWITHEYESCLOSED 

• ?
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:SHOOTSWITHEYESCLOSED

Posted 26 June 2008 - 06:26 PM

because of the a5's cyclone feed it can use up more co2 than the 98. But, with the upgrades for the cyclone feed it can make up for that in rof.
The a5 is a step up from the 98 but the 98 custom pro platinum is catching up to the a5. I would say that they are about the same with the co2.

#4 User is offline   tipbl 

• Lincoln's Assassins co-captian
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:tipbl

Posted 28 June 2008 - 08:19 PM

Argh. The Cyclone doesn't use extra CO2.

It uses the blow back gas that is other wise expelled in to the air around the gun.

Again, the Cyclone System doesn't use any more gas than a regular hopper, it just makes use of the air that is used to blow back the rear bolt.

#5 User is offline   FlamingoChavez 

• (insert title here)
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Rooster45

Posted 28 June 2008 - 08:46 PM

View Posttipbl, on Jun 28 2008, 08:19 PM, said:

Argh. The Cyclone doesn't use extra CO2.

It uses the blow back gas that is other wise expelled in to the air around the gun.

Again, the Cyclone System doesn't use any more gas than a regular hopper, it just makes use of the air that is used to blow back the rear bolt.

You can say that until you are blue in the face... no one believes it. Just because Tippmann says it, doesn't mean its true.

The cyclone uses "blow back gases," but it forces you to waste more of your air in blow back, then you might otherwise. I'll break it down for you. You can drop in a stiffer spring, lower the pressure of your marker, and all of the sudden your cyclone doesn't cycle (even though you may be shooting at 280 fps). The area behind the power tube has to be pressurized to a certain psi to operate the cyclone every time the marker cycles. If you have a crappy cyclone, you have to achieve higher pressures in that chamber. Higher pressures mean that YOU ARE WASTING MORE AIR. My A5 operates at 275psi, normal operating pressure is about 800psi. That means it takes less then half of the gas to move my cyclone every shot then it does a stock marker.

So, while it may not be siphoning gas out of the gas that propels the paintball, it FORCES YOU TO WASTE MORE GAS. While they may be technically right about it using waste gas, its like driving a car that has to have a hole punched in the gas tank to go, then claiming it gets good gas mileage because the gas you wasted on the drive as it was seeping out of your tank doesn't count cause it didn't ever get to the engine.

#6 User is offline   Madballa23 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Let'em_fly88

Posted 29 June 2008 - 09:44 AM

A-5 for sure...u kan get the 98 to have more bps but its not as accurate as the A-5....theyr prolly both even when it comes to more upgrades....but still for me? A-5 all the way

#7 User is offline   SHOOTSWITHEYESCLOSED 

• ?
  • PipPip

Posted 29 June 2008 - 10:11 AM

The co2 blow back info is good, flamingo. I said that it "can" use more co2. My best friend has an a5 and I have a 98 and we both use a 20oz tank. He will always run out of air before I do. That was my only reason for saying that.

#8 User is offline   FlamingoChavez 

• (insert title here)
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 June 2008 - 06:06 PM

View PostSHOOTSWITHEYESCLOSED, on Jun 29 2008, 10:11 AM, said:

The co2 blow back info is good, flamingo. I said that it "can" use more co2. My best friend has an a5 and I have a 98 and we both use a 20oz tank. He will always run out of air before I do. That was my only reason for saying that.

I agree with you, I think it does use more air, I was defending your point of view from the guy that tried to contradict it directly below your post.

I realize that Tippmann SAYS cyclones run off of excess gases, but I think anyone thats used an A5 knows they swallow a little more then a 98. Now, I never said that the extra bit of air "hoggyness" was a bad thing... I love my cyclone, and it would be a cold day in hell before I take it off my marker... but lets not fool ourselves and swallow marketing propaganda without thinking about it first. Ultimately, A5's with cyclones "do more work" then 98's without them, and the energy to do that work has to come from somewhere.

#9 User is offline   newtrip 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Newtrip

Posted 29 June 2008 - 07:12 PM

Performance will be just about the same as far as number of shots from a tank. The 98C is a little more difficult to disassemble and reassemble, but if you are thinking about going with a response trigger, the 98C actually cycles much faster with a response trigger than the A5 does. The A5 I feel is much easier to do maintenance on, but they are both good markers. Accuracy depends on the barrel you use, and regardless of which one you use, I recommend you upgrade the barrel.

#10 User is offline   Evil Fingers 

• ELITE Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 June 2008 - 08:03 PM

Aw hell, I'll throw this in too....

The question about the A5 using more Air/Co2 than the 98, that might be true.....BUT, there are ways to disspell that problem, in which the A5 user would have to decide for himself/herself if the Cyclone should be permanently removed from the A5 (which is what I did to mine) or not and opt for another Ball Feeding System, which isnt really hard to locate and or to create one from existing parts that are available online.

And most here have already seen pics of my Non Cycloned A5 and I only did that because of the Associated Problems that the Cyclone is known for and before the TechT Upgrades were released and also, I didnt want to turn my A5 into a Money Pit.

This post has been edited by Evil Fingers: 29 June 2008 - 08:04 PM

#11 User is offline   FlamingoChavez 

• (insert title here)
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 June 2008 - 06:02 AM

Yeah, I don't think the cyclone on the A5 should really sell anyone on it (I've had great experiences with mine, but it seems to be a bit of an exception). I would say though, look close at the 98 Platinum. Its pretty much a 98C with a few of the bugs worked out. If you really wanted to ad a cyclone, you can always get it as an add on... and having the Anti Chop System is not a bad thing either.

This post has been edited by FlamingoChavez: 30 June 2008 - 06:04 AM

#12 User is offline   M.O.P. 

• Group: Penquin Mafia ....... no you can't join.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 July 2008 - 04:10 PM

the a-5 hands down better in every aspect unless your whining about a spit of co2 or air in which case u should save your milicents worth and buy the custom pro
................ Flippy the Wonder Bunny, Ace and MaDuce like ducks with a passion. My color is white. Morrowind addict.

#13 User is offline   Piller 

• Piller
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Piller

Posted 04 July 2008 - 08:25 PM

I don't see what the A-5 is superior in. Internally they are nearly identical and work off the exact same valve system. Internally the A-5 is the same marker with a bulkier shell. It's all about if you want a cyclone feed or not.
Automaggot #123 - Pump User #152 - ICE Epic Owner
"Marketing hype in paintball?! The nerve of some people. After all, we paintballers would never throw our hard earned cash into the magic box of marketing hype."

#14 User is offline   A-MAD07 

• PipPip
  • Brigade Name:A-MAD07

Posted 04 July 2008 - 08:57 PM

Someone said that the A-5 was more accurate then the 98. How? Arent they both blowbacks.
This is my sig... Awsome!

#15 User is offline   SHOOTSWITHEYESCLOSED 

• ?
  • PipPip

Posted 04 July 2008 - 09:13 PM

the a5 is an upgrade from the 98. it is easier to take apart and it doesn't have that open cocking area that the 98 does. it automatically comes with the cyclone feed. A 98 with an e-grip is good for the money. I would say that it is all about personal preference. the ups on the a5 cyclone are pretty cool too. go to the tech t website and look at the rof. i would say that out of the box you can't go wrong with the 98 with e-grip and the standard a5. my buddy put a stiffi barrel on his a5 and it is much quieter than my 98.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users