Special Ops Paintball: how do i play up my role as a paintball ref so the navy will like me - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

how do i play up my role as a paintball ref so the navy will like me Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   andrew1987 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:beat box

Posted 17 November 2008 - 11:17 PM

i'm applying to the Canadian forces, the navy
the question says "please provide a brief summary of your role or leadership position"

this is what i have so far

during my time at the paint ball field i regularly had to give the 'safety speech' a memroises speech with several important talking points, all was delivered to unknown and sometimes hostel audances often of crowds of 80+, as well as make the realistic thread of ejecting players who did not listen or failed to follow the rules, in my time there i also had to break up several fights and eject intoxacated players

i also had to teach the other refs how to ref, how to get big angry crouds to listen to them

so who can help me? any ideas on what they might be looking to hear?

#2 User is offline   Frontier_Bill 

• Every day is a Saturday!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Frontier Bill

Posted 18 November 2008 - 12:07 AM

You know what they might want to hear? Proper grammar and spelling. Its an essay for the armed services for God's sake. Have some pride.

Team Rogue Cell #10 Founder and Alpha squad leader.

Danger: Reading online forums may cause irreparable damage to your faith in Humanity.

#3 User is offline   StealingYerMail 

• always throwin bass
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:StealingYerMail

Posted 18 November 2008 - 12:15 AM

Yeah not to be harsh but I agree with Bill. The only thing that answer might get you is a front row seat to the newest explosive being tested on a person.

I would elaborate a lot more on what you had to teach other refs. Not so much in terms of paintball and gear, but rather how you taught them, especially if you led by example or something like that.
Maggot #53
MacDev 06 Cyborg, AGD Tac-One
Death before Smart Parts Feedback

#4 User is offline   Zamamee 

• something witty
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Zamamee

Posted 18 November 2008 - 01:12 AM

Don't go into the specifics of paintball, just show how you led them and took control of the crowd.

I have it easy, If I were to do it I could just point at my Eagle Scout rank :P

#5 User is offline   Ashrak 

• Precipice
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 November 2008 - 09:43 AM

Honestly, I don't think the Navy is going to be impressed by paintball ref experience.
Alea iacta est ~ The board is set, the pieces are moving.
~ Like the leaves of the forest when Summer is green, That host with their banners at sunset were seen:
Like the leaves of the forest when Autumn hath blown, That host on the morrow lay withered and strown. ~ Destruction of Sennacherib

~ Believe me, dear Sir: there is not in the American states a man who more cordially loves a union with his country than I do. But, by the God that made me, I will cease to exist before I yield to a connection on such terms as the United States Congress proposes; and in this, I think I speak the sentiments of America. ~ Thomas Jefferson (modernized)
Summertime Blues

#6 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 18 November 2008 - 09:54 AM

Talking about the safety speech isn't leadership. It's public speaking.
Discuss your specific duties in teaching new refs, techniques you used, how many passed and became refs and how many continue to come to you with questions.

Have you captained a team of any kind? Have you organized a group of people for anything, protest, party, funeral...? Student council president?

That's the kind of thing they are looking for. Tell them what you've been in charge of, how it turned out(good and bad) and what you learned from it.

What you've written, well, any monkey can repeat a speech.
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#7 User is offline   andrew1987 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:beat box

Posted 19 November 2008 - 01:13 AM

how about this

my time at the paint ball field included teaching other employees how to be referees and public speaking to large groups on an hourly basis.

?

#8 User is offline   thebostinian 

• SOFA Favorite Member Title 2009
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:thebostinian

Posted 19 November 2008 - 07:43 AM

View PostAshrak, on Nov 18 2008, 11:43 AM, said:

Honestly, I don't think the Navy is going to be impressed by paintball ref experience.

Ditto.

"Yeah, but a thread that started out as borderline weird and creepy to begin with has now taken a left turn into 'Deliverance." - Violator
Don't try to pronounce the second "o". Instead, try realize the truth: there is no second "o"

#9 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 19 November 2008 - 08:30 AM

View Postandrew1987, on Nov 18 2008, 01:17 AM, said:

the question says "please provide a brief summary of your role or leadership position"

That seems a bit lacking.... Your role in what?

And you aren't looking to wow them, especially with a "brief summery". All they want to know is if you have any leadership potential and are dedicated to doing something.

"In 1988 I took charge of my Graphics Class, teaching 30 students 3 units on photography and film development. 29 out of 30 passed the section, 1 dropped out of school.
In 1990 I set out to create a paintball team. As Captain I coordinated weekly practices with 15 team members. Over the following 4 years we entered 6 tournaments a year and placed in the top 3 80% of the time.
I have organized and coordinated several celebratory parties for various friends and family members needing hall rentals, caterers, music and lighting.
In 1995 I was lead hand on a shipping crew where I assigned my team specific tasks and deadlines to ensure trucks went out on time, trained new employees and recommended numerous positive changes to management, including which employees deserved a raise.
In 1997 I volunteered as a youth soccer coach for 3 years. We did not make the top 5 in the league.
Currently I am a referee at a local paintball field where I train new referees and lead orientation and safety briefings for players."

Now read what you wrote. If you were looking your app and mine for this question alone who would you give more consideration to?
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users