Special Ops Paintball: Tippmann Crossover vs Empire Axe vs Dye Reflex - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tippmann Crossover vs Empire Axe vs Dye Reflex Which is best? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Molonlabe 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:10 AM

I am looking at 3 markers for speedball and don't know what to get. I have paintballed 7 years ago but have quit since. I am looking for a good gun for under $600 but would really like to upgrade it as i go. i am obsessed with e-grips so I am definitely wanting a board. So far my 3 choices are
Tippmann Crossover
Empire Axe
Dye Reflex
Basically from what I have heard, the axe has a "FILTERED" warranty and is hard maintenance but is the best of the 3 after upgrading. I have heard that tippmann crossover is easy to maintain and has a good warranty. As far as the dye reflex I don't know anything other than dye is top grade markers. I want something cool looking and not a typical black marker, so I am leaning towards the reflex. My local dealer said the crossover is the best gun for the money, but in my opinion it is too plain but considering the huge amount of barrels for an A5 thread available, this is a good choice. However I think the dye reflex is by far the coolest looking marker with lots of choices, and from what I seen, it looks like it's a simple alen wrench and the bolt comes out the back and looks like really simple to maintain, however it looks like they only come with 1 choice for barrels and that's from dye, unless I am missing something? What barrel thread does the reflex use? Someone told me its an Autococker thread but they didn't really know what they were talking about either. I would like to get a ball sizer kit like the empire freak. Advice? Opinions? Thanks for the help.

#2 User is offline   Pirate 

• I aim to misbehave.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:PirateCaptain

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:33 AM

Well the Reflex uses Autococker threaded barrels, which actually gives you more barrel options than the A5.
Only thing about the Reflex, is that it is a lot more tempermental. It has a lot of O-Rings, so requires much more regular lubrication and maintenance. I don't know if that's something you're comfortable with or not. In my opinion, that is it's biggest downfall. I'm not saying it breaks down a lot or anything, just a heads up on it.

The Crossover is a solid marker, though the stock trigger on it is not good. Very heavy trigger pull, so shooting fast for any period means you're better of switching it to full auto (which, depending on field rules, may be illegal).

I have very limited experience with the Axe, but from all I've heard it's a solid marker. A friend of mine shoots one and loves it.

Also, have you explored the option of buying a used marker? You can get high end markers that are a couple years old for under $600, and those will be better markers than an Axe or Reflex that's been upgraded. Ego 7, 8, or 9's should be readily available, or Dye Matrix markers of the same year, all under $600.

Just checking the Buy/Sell/Trade section of PBNation, I found an Ego7 for $375.
Here is a link to a 2011 Ego for $600 (plus shipping). $600 Ego11

Honestly, unless you're dead set on brand new, going used will get you a lot better value for your money.

This post has been edited by Pirate: 08 April 2013 - 01:33 AM

My job is to be an asshole. I excel at the position.
We put our glass to the sky and lift up. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya. So raise a pint for the people that aren't with us. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya...
Austin Michelle Cloyd, Forever in my heart. We love you, Ayesha! Rest in Peace Tyler Hackett
Rest in Peace, Dave Brockie! Cam Cam #83

#3 User is offline   Molonlabe 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:41 PM

Well after doing tons of research and talking to many people I have found out that the dye reflex is pretty much the same thing as a DM13, same regulator, Same trigger, same barrel, same board and grip, and almost the same bolt. Dye DM13 is pretty much over priced cause if the name brand. Now as far as the maintenance I am all for it, I own several firearms so a marker should be a no brainer. I threw the crossover off the list about a week ago. As far as the axe it's a great marker but I don't like the way it looks and don't like the positioning of the board banana grip so I threw that out. As far as the Reflex I am pretty solid on getting the reflex. I have done some hardcore in debt research to make it a solid decision. Once I get a freak barrel kit, techT L7 bolt, APE rampage board, and a rotor loader, it's pretty much a top grade marker. I appreciate the suggestions but I actually threw out open bolts, wasn't too into those. I am still a couple weeks away from my final decision tho so still looking at other markers and doing more in debt research, and as far as the DM being one of the top 3 markers of 2013, and with as close in comparison the proto reflex and DM are, I am pretty solid on the reflex. If this isn't true I would appreciate more information. I am looking at a lot of used markers as well I checked out that ego u linked and hate to say it, I'm really picky on colors so that one just isn't gonna cut it.

#4 User is offline   Pirate 

• I aim to misbehave.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:PirateCaptain

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:13 AM

Right on man.
I'll just say, get the Reflex (since you seem decided there), but hold off on any upgrades. Get a good mask and loader first.
I have to say to check out Pinokio Hoppers (link is in my signature). The Reflex comes with the UL frame, which I believe has Dye's UL board. No need to upgrade that really.
Not sure if it comes with the Boomstick barrel, but that's a solid piece of kit too. A good mask is better than an upgraded board, especially starting out.

My job is to be an asshole. I excel at the position.
We put our glass to the sky and lift up. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya. So raise a pint for the people that aren't with us. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya...
Austin Michelle Cloyd, Forever in my heart. We love you, Ayesha! Rest in Peace Tyler Hackett
Rest in Peace, Dave Brockie! Cam Cam #83

#5 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:06 AM

Echoing what Pirate said....

Get a good mask.

Do not skimp on your mask.

You'll thank us later.
Member of Team Akkadian

#6 User is offline   Molonlabe 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:28 PM

Oh I'm not doing any gun upgrades til I get a jersey and mask and pants and hopper and all that good stuff first. Gun upgrades are last priority that's why I wanted something good out of the box. I will check out that loader as well pirate. And yea the reflex uses DMs board. Dye and proto are pretty much the same company. I'm going with a dye i4 mask, or maybe an empire or even vforce grills, but leaning towards the i4. I'm also getting a ninja HPA tank so I'm good on air. As far as the barrel goes on the reflex, it's the same 2 piece barrel that comes with the DM13, it's just in proto brand but keep in mind dye and proto are the same company. I plan on upgrading that to a freak barrel kit with maybe a deadlywind fybur or an empire barrel for inserts. But yea the gun upgrades are last priority my top priority is getting the essentials to get on the field, and then once I do that I'm going to upgrade what I feel needs to be upgraded after experiencing it on the field, if I annoyed with the board then I'll upgrade that, or if my ropes are twisted I'll upgrade the barrel but yes the top priority is getting the field necessities.

#7 User is offline   Molonlabe 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:20 PM

I checked out pinokio hoppers and that company seems to be dead? They have a prototype from 2011 that was never released and nobody is carrying their products anymore?

#8 User is offline   Thalion 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:48 AM

Molonlabe, on 09 April 2013 - 08:20 PM, said:

I checked out pinokio hoppers and that company seems to be dead? They have a prototype from 2011 that was never released and nobody is carrying their products anymore?

Pinokio is still around.

And on a passive google search, I found places selling their loaders.

http://www.ansgear.c...ders_s/1239.htm
Member of Team Akkadian

#9 User is offline   Cuy'val Dar  

• 327 G.I.R. Bastogne Bulldogs
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MICHAEL J. CABOOSE

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:21 PM

Tippmann is offering a free trigger upgrade for the crossover these days. I think the newer ones are coming stock with those as well. Not sure about that though...
Posted Image

Doorbells? Seriously? That's the swear filter?
. -Pirate
"Authenticity bro, everyone voids their bowels when they die."
-Guy at end of paintball movie

#10 User is offline   Thalion 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:33 PM

Cuy'val Dar, on 10 April 2013 - 02:21 PM, said:

Tippmann is offering a free trigger upgrade for the crossover these days. I think the newer ones are coming stock with those as well. Not sure about that though...

Yep - the new Crossovers come with the new trigger upgrade out of the box.

It's actually enough to make me tempted by one. Almost. I have too much stuff as it is.
Member of Team Akkadian

#11 User is offline   Molonlabe 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:59 PM

Oh nice! I never heard about that upgrade actually but I looked at a crossover the other day at my local dealers shop and it seemed to have a really good trigger with a light pull for tap, so must have been the upgrade. Still wasn't enough to convince me to buy it although I might get it as a backup I don't know yet.

#12 User is offline   Molonlabe 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Oh nice! I never heard about that upgrade actually but I looked at a crossover the other day at my local dealers shop and it seemed to have a really good trigger with a light pull for tap, so must have been the upgrade. Still wasn't enough to convince me to buy it although I might get it as a backup I don't know yet.

#13 User is offline   Molonlabe 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

#14 User is offline   Molonlabe 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

#15 User is offline   Molonlabe 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users