#91 User is offline   XziviT 

• Mess with the Best Die like the Rest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:XziviT

Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:00 PM

View PostShipwreck!, on 21 July 2011 - 03:35 PM, said:

View PostXziviT, on 21 July 2011 - 12:25 PM, said:

Oh and since we are talking about military members well I am not in the military yet but I am hoping to become a Marine Officer in the future and a pilot or infantry officer.
My military experience so far has been graduating from the marine military academy as a Major and a company commander.

-X

Great...

Another swivel chair jockey, haha! :P

Don't get too excited college boy, out in the real world we be checkin' JO's! (like a chief)

jk(ish)

JO? Like junior officer? If you are talking about officer vs enlisted stuff then dont worry I understand a bit about that deal and I wont be a cocky 2LT who thinks he knows everything. Its all about listening to the NCOs and SNCOs.
Posted Image
Yo pertenesco al Guerrero que de lo Antiguo se fuciona a lo Nuevo. Maj. X, Callsign: Matrix
As I walk through the Valley of Shadow of Death, I shall fear no Evil, for I am the meanest Creature in the Valley. Gen. Patton

#92 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SHIPWRECK!

Posted 22 July 2011 - 12:40 AM

View Postshadow_772, on 21 July 2011 - 10:08 PM, said:

The guys not noticed by chief until 3/4 the way through? Or the ones who put on their sweats and slide around the floors at

night while the watch yelled at them (but couldn't figure out who it was)?

And not gonna lie, I hear HT is a lame/crappy rate, to put it nicely. I am on this base though... So who knows what anyway.
I am not gonna be able to deal with this much sitting around well in my rate, being a tech helps that a bit though.

I am what the old EW's used to do, before they merged...

Hmmm either I guess...

Damn rate merging, I don't know what the hell is going on anymore haha! Good thing I don't need to!

Stand by for biblical rambling on the subject of "this job sucks"

HT does have a tendency to suck, but it depends on where you wind up to some extent. I had a friend in A-school who was in

fact the worst HT training there in my class haha! But he aced all the written tests and ended up graduating top of the

class even though he epicly sucked at welding which is 98% of the training there. Anyway he got to pick his orders and

wound up at Annapolis, only responsibility there was fiberglass work on the small sailboats they train the cadets in, and

there really wasn't much of that to be done either. His whole enlistment ended up being pretty much a vacation.

I on the other hand went to that scrap heap of a Frigate I mentioned earlier where there was no such shortage of work and

where it was all incredibly hard, but it was a pretty sweet deal. There were some great first classes in the division,

including MR1 who promptly informed me "You know you new guys on the squad are just cannon fodder right?" (refering to

VBSS) and HT1 who was reputed to be able to weld plate steel to a tree. They were hard asses but they were great

introducing me to the work and helping me integrate into the command. Showed me all the ropes. Usually when you start out,

you end up just hand hauling around the equipment for the old guys but HT1's policy was, "Hey I've already established my

reputation, but nobody knows who you are. So from now on you're going to do all the welding jobs onboard." I still had to

haul the gear but I got to start building my rep early, and HT1 was always there showing me how welding works in the field,

which is to say a LOT differently than it goes down in a welding booth at A-school. Only draw back was that the two kick

ass first classes were both leaving the ship within months, and had already relequished control of the division to the only

1st class who'd be staying on board DC1 who was a dipsh*t. The other 1st classes had seniority but were leaving anyway so

had pre-turned over the Petty Officer in Charge post. So this other guy was a d*ck and it kinda sucked working for him.

While they were still onboard though HT1 and MR1 didn't let hime f*** with me and by time they left I could pretty much

take care of myself. Our chief was also an idiot but we didn't have to deal with him much he seemed to spend most of his

time napping in the chief's mess luckily haha! But the Division Officer wasn't your typical goofy hapless college kid with

an gold bar pinned to his collar haha! He had been around a little longer and knew what was up, he's actually the one that

got me into VBSS. The Captain also was awesome was always walking the deck plates engaging with the sailors, you could talk

to him like he was a co-worker even though he was the commander, but at the same time he commanded respect. From what I

heard about the war games and ops he ran he was the ballsiest and smartest tin can commander in the fleet! Had a mandatory

liberty call (which means your PEE SHOOTER BOBBLE HEAD boss - DC1/CPO - couldn't make you work all night without clearance and a good

reason), shelled out the budget to get everyone shoreside barracks rooms while the ship was in dry dock. Private rooms!

Literally just like a hotel room, even had cleaning service! Because appearently it was more important to him to give back

to his sailors than it was to save some cash so he could kiss his bosses ass later, "Look how much money I saved in the

budget, blah" He was not that kind of officer. And had the duty section run shuttles for all the sailors who didn't have

personal transportation to and from the barracks. I never worked harder in my life than those first months onboard, but

life was pretty damn good.

Later though I was left working for DC1, the Chief eventually left and was replaced by a less incompetant slightly smarter

chief, but that doesn't mean he was a good chief, just not as bad. Anyway it ended up being a long succession of bad CPO's

and by time we finally got a kick ass chief I was pretty thoroughly burnt out anyway, and processing out of the Navy too.

The Captain got replaced by a complete douchebag who ran the show until pretty much my last year, his replacement was a

decent Captain but not nearly the bad ass we started out with. The replacement senior HT wound up being one of those, "You

haul the gear, I do the the job and get the credit" types. Point is things went down hill and the chain of command was

never as good as it was when I first showed up again. So... the job was never as good again, it really sucked sometimes

epicly.

Point being no matter what your rating is, it can be GREAT, or it can be horrible. It actually depends a little more on who

you're working for and who you're working with than it does on what you're actually doing. The wrong boss could have ruined

my friends vacation and worked him into the ground even though there was no real work to do, just by being a jerk. And my

job was great when it first started out even though it was really hard work.

In the end how good or bad your job is I think really depends most on YOU than anything else. For example no matter how bad

the job got in my experience, and it got f*cking bad, me and my co-workers/friends always kept laughing. We forced that job

to be fun sometimes, and sometimes doing that meant risking our lives and breaking laws (little laws haha!). But at the

same time I did tend to focus on the negative. Ultimately, as long as you're in the Navy someone is always going to be in

charge of you. But only you can be in charge of your attitude. So try to exercise a little more influence on your attitude

than all the other factors and you'll have a better time no matter what happens or doesn't.

Anyway I did have a handful of unfortunate run-in's with the ship's sewage system which also falls under the HT rate and that did suck. But you can't be scared to get dirty in this line of work. Hell, if you're trying to get into the more combat oriented side of the Navy you might have to crawl through a ditch of sh*t out in the field just to stay alive, regardless of rate. Bottom line is, as long as you're in the military the job is always going to get ugly, one way or another. Sometimes you just gotta sailor the f*ck up and get the job done.
"If they wanna be asinine about this, we'll just be asinine right back."
A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

#93 User is offline   Cuy'val Dar  

• 327 G.I.R. Bastogne Bulldogs
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MICHAEL J. CABOOSE

Posted 22 July 2011 - 01:46 PM

I see quite a few of you guys are navy. I am considering the academy as an option for my college. What is the navy like? What kind of jobs are there?
Posted Image

Doorbells? Seriously? That's the swear filter?
. -Pirate
"Authenticity bro, everyone voids their bowels when they die."
-Guy at end of paintball movie

#94 User is offline   shadow_772 

• Never compromise, even in the face of armageddon
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Shadow_772

Posted 22 July 2011 - 02:02 PM

View PostCuy'val Dar, on 22 July 2011 - 02:46 PM, said:

I see quite a few of you guys are navy. I am considering the academy as an option for my college. What is the navy like? What kind of jobs are there?

I dunno, I'm a training command hero (Insert shipwreck's comment here) :dodgy:

So far so good. I am enjoying it. I will tell you in many more months when I get to the Navy. :D Shipwreck will prolly have better/more educated opinions at the moment.

#95 User is offline   CptObvious 

• Original Join Date- 29th October 2004 - 04:14 PM
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:CPTOBVIOUS

Posted 22 July 2011 - 03:10 PM

You squids and all your rates and hogwash. Why not just stick with fricken ranks!?! Entirely too many letters and numbers and such that go with your titles. =P
US Air Force
Posted Image
Proudly Sponsored by: ANS Gear || Pinokio Hoppers|| Stiffi Barrels || ChroniX Radio
[/b]

#96 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 July 2011 - 03:45 PM

I had an Electrician's Mate friend who's inititials were E.M.M., if he ever makes Master Chief he'll be EMMEMMC.

It's kind of hard to explain Cuy'...
A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

#97 User is offline   shadow_772 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 July 2011 - 08:16 PM

View PostCptObvious, on 22 July 2011 - 04:10 PM, said:

You squids and all your rates and hogwash. Why not just stick with fricken ranks!?! Entirely too many letters and numbers and such that go with your titles. =P

Simplicity and the Navy are a big no.

#98 User is offline   XziviT 

• Mess with the Best Die like the Rest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:XziviT

Posted 22 July 2011 - 11:34 PM

View Postshadow_772, on 22 July 2011 - 10:16 PM, said:

That applies to all branches they just dont like simple stuff -.-

-X
Posted Image
Yo pertenesco al Guerrero que de lo Antiguo se fuciona a lo Nuevo. Maj. X, Callsign: Matrix
As I walk through the Valley of Shadow of Death, I shall fear no Evil, for I am the meanest Creature in the Valley. Gen. Patton

#99 User is offline   shadow_772 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 July 2011 - 10:20 AM

View PostXziviT, on 23 July 2011 - 12:34 AM, said:

-X

Boy do I know that one. :dry:

"Hurry up and wait" couldn't be more true either.

#100 User is offline   shadow_772 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 July 2011 - 10:59 PM

Oh, and thanks for the text wall shipwreck. I understand though, its what you make of it.

Also, DAMN YOU CORRY STATION. I JUSSSSSTTT GOT RID OF MY OLD ROOMMATE AND YOU GIVE ME A NEW ONE!!!

#101 User is offline   Eagle Eye 

• I am Become Death, Squeegier of Worlds.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:BattleSpam

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:47 AM

View PostXziviT, on 22 July 2011 - 11:34 PM, said:

-X

You know the saying "work smarter, not harder?" Well in the Army it's more like "Work harder, we don't pay you to think soldier." Lol, FML

And yeah, Navy ranks/rating/job titles/nicknames whatever the hell it's called confuse the hell outa me. Even their officers get weird titles (compared to Army, Air Force, Marines, ect), but being called Admiral would be friggin' sweet......
Posted Image
Posted Image
The Paintball Sniper has already done the first step: convince you they don't exist.
Allied Superior Meritorious Service Medal recipient: D-Day 2008
"There is no "fixing" a Tippmann ... if it didn't work, there is only one reason .... you tried to clean it. Any problem a Tippmann has can be easily fixed by adding more dirt, preferably to the internals, followed by 3 drops of oil." -- Acara

#102 User is offline   evillepaintball 

• You won't do it! You ain't crazy!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:sunshine ac-05

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:12 PM

They pay me to think harder. And they are definitely getting their money's worth.
"it just doesnt look cool unless you're riding a yamazuki zx1200rrr" - C9H13NO3

#103 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 July 2011 - 03:46 PM

View Postshadow_772, on 24 July 2011 - 10:59 PM, said:

Oh, and thanks for the text wall shipwreck. I understand though, its what you make of it.

Also, DAMN YOU CORRY STATION. I JUSSSSSTTT GOT RID OF MY OLD ROOMMATE AND YOU GIVE ME A NEW ONE!!!

No problem, it's what I do haha!

Hahaha! That's a bummer, I hope it's not a smelly room mate. I had one of those in A-school, woke him up every day with a heavy mist of fabreez.

View PostEagle Eye, on 25 July 2011 - 10:47 AM, said:

You know the saying "work smarter, not harder?" Well in the Army it's more like "Work harder, we don't pay you to think soldier." Lol, FML

And yeah, Navy ranks/rating/job titles/nicknames whatever the hell it's called confuse the hell outa me. Even their officers get weird titles (compared to Army, Air Force, Marines, ect), but being called Admiral would be friggin' sweet......

Hahaha! As I recall, the Navy had the same policy! We eventually learned to fight stupid with stupid and instituted a policy of our own: "If they want to be asinine about this... we'll just be asinine right back."

Well, on the enlisted side it's just a two letter indicator of rate (job) and a two letter (or one digit or four letter) indicator of rank: HT3 for example, Hull maintenance Technician petty officer 3rd class. Oh, ok, now that I write that all down it does seem like a bit much doesn't it?

Well f*** it all you really need to know is the guy's rank: People without chevrons (they just have stripes) could be Seamen (haha!), Firemen, Airmen or Constructionmen depending on the color of the stripe (Navy blue, red, green or light blue respectively) then depending on how many of the stripes they have they could be ___man Recruit (1 stripe), ___man Apprentice (2), or just full fledged ____man (3). You know what, that's pretty f***ed up too, uhhhh... ok anyone who doesn't have a chevron you can just call Sailor. How bout that?

Then people with chevrons are called Petty Officers. There's 3rd Class, 2nd Class and 1st Class, but the 3rd and 1st are reversed: 3rd Class has 1 chevron, 1st class has 3 chevrons, you just have to remember it's backwards. You don't need to worry about 2nd Class the number of chevrons is the same as the title. Ohhh... wow. Ok that's not cool. Let's just call anyone with any ammount of chevrons and no rockers, "Petty Officer".

Then when they've got chevrons and rockers you're in Chief teritory. Now I noticed in other brances when you've got higher ranks of Seargents (i think everyone else's equivelent to the Navy's Chiefs?) they just add rockers, so you can have up to three cevrons and three rockers. Not so in the Navy we only go up to 3 chevrons and one rocker, that's Chief Petty Officer. Don't call them petty officers they don't like that... I like calling them that because technically it is accurate, but hey, that's probably why I never made 2nd Class haha! After that is the same insignia except with a star above the rocker (remember our chevrons are upside down so the rocker is actually on top), that's called Senior Chief, then the next rank is the same except with two stars above the rocker this is called Master Chief and finally there's a single specific postition: Master Chief of The Navy this guy has the same insignia as any other master Chief EXCEPT the rating symbol (symbolized rate or "job/specialty" and is located in the middle in between the chevrons and the rockers) is replaced with a star. And that's all of the enlisted ranks! Simple right?

I should be very worried about myself for having taken the time to right all of that. Shouldn't I?

Ok you're right, our ranks and ratings are a trainwreck... or a shipwreck, if you will! Lets not even talk about officers, although I never noticed a huge difference, just in order mostly.

Agreed! Being called Admiral would be sweet! What about Fleet Admiral! Haven't had one of those in a while... But I think the coolest sounding title in the military is Mater Chief! Hey, that's why they picked it for Halo! Although I've always also admired the Gunnery Seargent of the other branches...

View Postevillepaintball, on 25 July 2011 - 02:12 PM, said:

They pay me to think harder. And they are definitely getting their money's worth.

I'll believe that when they stop saying that military intelligence is an oxymoron :P

This post has been edited by Shipwreck!: 25 July 2011 - 04:23 PM

A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

#104 User is offline   shadow_772 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 July 2011 - 03:54 PM

View PostShipwreck!, on 25 July 2011 - 04:46 PM, said:

View Postshadow_772, on 24 July 2011 - 10:59 PM, said:

No problem, it's what I do haha!

Hahaha! That's a bummer, I hope it's not a smelly room mate. I had one of those in A-school, woke him up every day with a heavy mist of fabreez.

Lol, he best not be or he will be in for a huge wake up call.

#105 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 July 2011 - 04:24 PM

View Postshadow_772, on 25 July 2011 - 03:54 PM, said:

Lol, he best not be or he will be in for a huge wake up call.

Haha! Yeah, unfortunately I ended up having to put boots on my roommate... I wish you good luck though! Hope you don't have to do the same...
A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

Share this topic:

• (13 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users