• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Smart Parts SP8 Should I replace my Tippmann with an SP8? Rate Topic: -----

#16 User is offline   cjottawa 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 October 2006 - 04:44 PM

Can you back this up WardenWolf? Not disputing it - I'm just ignorant about the 'mag, a gun I know has been well respected since I first played, over a decade ago, and still seems well respected. Obviously there's a reason for that kind of longevity...

This post has been edited by C.J.: 16 October 2006 - 06:37 PM

#17 User is offline   Cyanidepoison 

• SpecOps's Infamous.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 October 2006 - 04:47 PM

AUTOMAGS FTW! I have teamates that have mags that are 12 years old, picked it up one day. And it worked. No oiling no nothing... it just worked. Of course he did oil it and inspect it before a game though.
The sun rises to a crisp blanket of snow...

#18 User is offline   WardenWolf 

• Aspie Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:WardenWolf

Posted 16 October 2006 - 06:28 PM

View PostC.J., on Oct 16 2006, 04:44 PM, said:

Can you back this up WardenWolf? Not disputing it - I'm just ignorant about the 'mag, a gun which I know has been well respected since I first played, over a decade ago, and still seems well respected. Obviously there's a reason for that kind of longevity...

You can do pretty much anything with an Automag. You can get tactical mainbodies, T2W stocks, barrels, and good performance. They are mechanical guns, but with a ULT kit can perform at a comparable level to most electros. The real advantages are that they are well built and easy to maintenance, accurate, and quiet. The only disadvantages are price and gas usage. The SP8 reportedly has some serious durability problems, with the plastic cracking for seemingly no reason. The elbows Smart Parts provides also cannot survive a paintball hit.

Automags vary widely in price depending on what you want, although the entry-level guns are still impressive (you can save money if you know what to buy). If you just want a well-performing gun that you can mount a stock to, the Pro Classic with Level 10 is fine. This will run $300 for the base gun. If you want max performance and max tactical capabilities, go with a Tac One with ULT; this starts around $500. Both of them will outperform your 98 Custom by a long shot, and give you far fewer headaches than the SP8. The SP8 costs about $300 for the base gun, and around $400 with the almost-required stock. Add new boards or other upgrades, and this increases. Because it requires batteries, the total cost of ownership goes far beyond the Automag. The Automag will keep you happy for many years, long after the SP8 is so much trash.

Kanye: "Yo, Chile, I'm gonna let you finish shakin', but I just got to say Haiti had one of the best earthquakes of all time!"
Save a tree: wipe your ass with a hippie!

#19 User is offline   obiwan 

• Super duper Master special #1 member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:bravo4569

Posted 16 October 2006 - 06:37 PM

Well I'am a 98 owner and they requirer a bunch of upgrads (like all tippmanns) to preform and feel well.The sp8 is a good stock marker but I would get a stock to balence it better.Aalso if your gonna play sniper well I would stick with your 98 since you don't need a fast gun and the sp8 is kinda big.

This post has been edited by obiwan: 16 October 2006 - 06:39 PM

#20 User is offline   cjottawa 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 October 2006 - 06:37 PM

Fair enough WardenWolf! I'll add the 'mag to my list of recommended markers when a newbie is asking me what to look for. Is there an "everything you wanted to know about the Automag" thread somewhere on the forum?

FWIW, though I've only had the SP-8 a few months, I haven't had any real problems to speak of - it's been quite durable. I agree about the stock - it's somewhat out of balance without it, though still useable. I invested in NiMH batteries as well so there's no real extra cost to being electro.

#21 User is offline   THORST 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:THORST

Posted 16 October 2006 - 07:05 PM

I met a guy that had one, he said the tippmans are more accurate but he loves his sp8 because you can put all the ion parts on it. But I've never had one myself.
If we can't do it, it doesn't need to be done.
IPB Image
IPB Image

#22 User is offline   cjottawa 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 October 2006 - 07:11 PM

View PostTHORST, on Oct 16 2006, 10:05 PM, said:

I met a guy that had one, he said the tippmans are more accurate but he loves his sp8 because you can put all the ion parts on it. But I've never had one myself.

I will put my SP-8 up against any other marker for accuracy.

#23 User is offline   WardenWolf 

• Aspie Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:WardenWolf

Posted 16 October 2006 - 09:53 PM

View PostC.J., on Oct 16 2006, 06:37 PM, said:

Fair enough WardenWolf! I'll add the 'mag to my list of recommended markers when a newbie is asking me what to look for. Is there an "everything you wanted to know about the Automag" thread somewhere on the forum?

FWIW, though I've only had the SP-8 a few months, I haven't had any real problems to speak of - it's been quite durable. I agree about the stock - it's somewhat out of balance without it, though still useable. I invested in NiMH batteries as well so there's no real extra cost to being electro.

Check the Airgun Designs section of the Paintball Marker Talk. There are two stickied threads, one by NinjaoftheNight79 and one by myself which should help. The Pro Classic is a good newbie's gun. It's available for $220 without Level 10, but Level 10 adds antichop. The Level 10 does require a bit of tuning (takes 30 minutes if you follow my directions), but tuning is rather simple. These guns are near-unkillable.

This post has been edited by WardenWolf: 16 October 2006 - 09:57 PM

Kanye: "Yo, Chile, I'm gonna let you finish shakin', but I just got to say Haiti had one of the best earthquakes of all time!"
Save a tree: wipe your ass with a hippie!

#24 User is offline   RaptorMan 

• Righteous Dude
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:RaptorMan

Posted 17 October 2006 - 07:53 AM

Personally I would never get an electro without a mech back up.

If I was going to go with just one SCENARIO marker it would be a tac-one... don't listen to what people say it will not break and it will perform.

If you dont mind messing with your gear a VF Tactical is another option.

But honestly I would take any mag as my only marker any day... Just last saturday I played all day with a 12 year old classic mag. Just plugged in the air and played, absolutely ZERO hassle.

#25 User is offline   Souleater 

• Well, I HAD 300 posts....
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Village Idiot

Posted 17 October 2006 - 09:53 AM

View Postarclight642, on Sep 23 2006, 12:18 PM, said:

I would say keep your 98C and get the SP8 as well:)

A friend of mine runs his SP8 in scenario and outlaw ball and its an incredible marker...fast, quiet, and very cool looking!

That being said, its an electro marker that requires an expensive electro loader to keep up with it, and its recommended to go HPA as well...and since its so fast, probably not HPA run off of a "cheap" weeny sized tank.

So again my suggestion is to keep your 98C for when you dont want to worry about damage to an expensive marker, rain concerns, or when you dont have money for batteries for your loader LOL. And save up for the SP8 in the meantime!

Not to mention, you would then have a quality marker to lend to a friend who is just getting into paintball:)

arclight642

Yep. Like he said, don't get any bright ideas about running co2 in it- I thought i'd be able to until i learned moe about it.... Although you could a siphon tube or something installed for co2, but cuz it's co2, it would probably still suck.

Also i've heard some nasty things about it, like the feedneck might snap off, etc.

However, i think Redleg-64 has one so maybe you could ask him about it.
Posted Image
People who say anything is possible never tried to slam a revolving door!!
There is no problem that cannot be solved with the proper application of explosives and duct tape.
How's that for a contradiction?

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users