• You cannot reply to this topic

a commanders dillemma I have a bit of a problem Rate Topic: ****- 1 Votes

#1 User is offline   kmankrh 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:sgt.knight

Posted 16 January 2009 - 01:18 PM

help! i have a problem. i have a small team and have the best command skills of anyone on it, but I also have the only full auto marker, I am having trouble with doing both commander and broadsword at the same time. anyone have any suggestions?
thank you to all of our troops for fighting on the side of angels

#2 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 16 January 2009 - 01:27 PM

Yup - find a good second in command and put your efforts into building him up.

#3 User is offline   Zzaque 

• Voce nao pode ser serio!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Zzaque

Posted 16 January 2009 - 02:18 PM

Start doing finger exercises with your team until half of them can shoot as if they had full-auto. :ninja:

Full auto is a plus but not a must for heavy gunners. I play as a heavy a lot simply because nobody else I play with is willing to cover for others and I have never had full auto. I have gotten faster through practice but the key thing is knowing where to put a high volume of paint.

The way I see it you can either practice until you can perform well in both at once or you can choose one or the other and go for it. Commander or Broadsword. If you are all working as a team somebody else will come forward and adapt to benefit the team.

This post has been edited by Zzaque: 16 January 2009 - 02:36 PM

"So, I can't find any Vitamin B-12 pills . . . can't I just give him 2 Vitamin B-6's?"
-A Confused Nurse-

#4 User is offline   TyTy 

• Formerly known as Ty29...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Cpt.Ringo

Posted 16 January 2009 - 02:21 PM

View PostZzaque, on Jan 16 2009, 04:18 PM, said:

Start doing finger exercises with your team until half of them can shoot as if they had full-auto.

Assuming they have an e-grip of some sort.

I think you can work to fill both roles or continue to until one of your teammates can upgrade his marker to fill the broadsword position.
-Ty

#5 User is offline   Pacman 

• Elite Commander, Owner - Genesis Paintball
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Pacman

Posted 16 January 2009 - 02:47 PM

View Postkmankrh, on Jan 16 2009, 01:18 PM, said:

help! i have a problem. i have a small team and have the best command skills of anyone on it, but I also have the only full auto marker, I am having trouble with doing both commander and broadsword at the same time. anyone have any suggestions?

If you are having troubles doing both roles, have you considered letting your best (most capable) Broadsword player borrow your marker? This would just be a loan at the field until your player(s) can upgrade their marker(s) to one fitting their position.

Just a thought........... Pacman
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Semper-Fi: Proud father of a United States Marine

#6 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:I.K.E.

Posted 16 January 2009 - 04:13 PM

View PostZzaque, on Jan 16 2009, 03:18 PM, said:

Full auto is a plus but not a must for heavy gunners. I play as a heavy a lot simply because nobody else I play with is willing to cover for others and I have never had full auto. I have gotten faster through practice but the key thing is knowing where to put a high volume of paint.

The way I see it you can either practice until you can perform well in both at once or you can choose one or the other and go for it. Commander or Broadsword. If you are all working as a team somebody else will come forward and adapt to benefit the team.

This is the right answer. Really, the point of the heavy gunner is to throw enough paint to keep the OpFor's heads down. That's all. He's really not trying to hit anyone per se. His job is to provide covering fire. You can do that with a stingray. Don't most fields forbid full auto anyhow? Does that negate the broadsword position? Full auto might be convenient, but anyone can shoot in the direction of the other team while you scoot your butt to another spot. If needs be, have two guys provide covering fire for movements.

If you are the best commander, then pick someone smart on your team to train under you, even if you use alternate means to cover fire. If you go down, you need to have someone take your place. Watch the training scenes from "We were soldiers." It might be a movie, but it was one of the few that had some reality to it rather than being overdone. The training scenes and advice given are real principles and solid advice.
"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123
"Overkill is underrated." -Col. John "Hannibal" Smith
Posted Image ... another Staff granted wish.

#7 User is offline   Zzaque 

• PipPipPip

Posted 16 January 2009 - 07:17 PM

Wow! Someone telling me I am right. I had better write that in my journal. I feel all smart now. Thanks!
"So, I can't find any Vitamin B-12 pills . . . can't I just give him 2 Vitamin B-6's?"
-A Confused Nurse-

#8 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 16 January 2009 - 08:09 PM

I think the broadswordman is the best position for a commander. Being just a commander is great if you have 20+ people.

#9 User is offline   Zzaque 

• PipPipPip

Posted 16 January 2009 - 08:20 PM

View Postslinkyaroo, on Jan 16 2009, 09:09 PM, said:

I think the broadswordman is the best position for a commander. Being just a commander is great if you have 20+ people.

I agree! Broadswords typically hang back and shoot paint to help others move up into dangerous places. While you're pumping out the paint you can be shouting at people to get to the positions you are covering with your fire. It seems like it would work well.
-A Confused Nurse-

#10 User is offline   platinum marksman 

• paintballer
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:platinum marksman

Posted 16 January 2009 - 10:39 PM

if you can ever reach Gramps anymore ask him. He did both roles really well for over two years...If anyone can help you he can...

Lead, and if necessary, use words.

#11 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:I.K.E.

Posted 16 January 2009 - 10:50 PM

View Postslinkyaroo, on Jan 16 2009, 09:09 PM, said:

I agree with this as well. When me and my guys play, it is never about the positions (none of them know the dang things anyways), and always about who DOES what.
"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123
"Overkill is underrated." -Col. John "Hannibal" Smith
Posted Image ... another Staff granted wish.

#12 User is offline   Gunney 

• Gunney
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Gunney1221

Posted 12 February 2009 - 05:28 PM

To be completely honest, you don't really have to let this be a problem.

Let me explain.

Right now you're trying to have your team gear itself to a largely adopted style of play (i.e. Having light, medium, heavy gunners, a sniper, and a commander) and trying gear up your team in this way is presenting you with a problem that you want to fix.

Well instead of trying to fix the problem by stretching yourself over both positions you might want to consider putting that effort into maximizing what you already have in terms of your currently existing team setup.

Ok. So you don't have a "Heavy Gunner". That’s alright. You don't absolutely need one. As the leader of the team it is your responsibility to take what ever you have to work with and be successful with it.

After all, as soon as the Heavy Gunner is eliminated during a game, your will be right back here with the same problem until he is able to re-insert back into the game.

I'll share my story with you about my own experiences as the singular Founder and captain of my team, 3rd Commandos.

As a team we have never had more than 4 members total at any time.
Why? Its because we have some high standards for new recruits as well as team members (none of which involve the skill or the length of time a player has in the game).
My team has been around for about 2-1/2 years and in that time we have won the Most Valuable Team award three times and as a team been awarded Best Sportsmanship once. We have only played in six scenarios since the start of our team and one of those events I was a general for which made my guys ineligible to win any award.
We have faced overwhelming odds almost every time we have gone out to accomplish an objective and we have never ever had any type of heavy gunner.

When I first started the team I tried desperately to fill the positions outlined by Spec Ops. But I couldn't get the number of people (at least 5) to utilize the team setup. I had to reevaluate my approach to putting my team together and eventually we changed our entire style of play as a team from one of overwhelmingly powerful sweeps through the field to one of stealth raider hit-and-run guerilla tactics.

I am pleased to say that shifting my efforts in this fashion has led to great success and respect from the other scenario teams (which all have 10 plus members) that play at our local paintball field.

If I had stuck to the guide (which is an extremely valuable one) that Spec Ops offers, then I might still be trying to fill positions that I though my team could not have been successful without when the contrary has proven to be the proper course of action.

What ever you decide, good luck and happy hunting.
-Gunney
GUNNEY - Gun runner for hire

YESHUA - In this name there is power

#13 User is offline   BIGBOSS_202 

• BIGBOSS_202
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:BIGBOSS_202

Posted 19 February 2009 - 11:15 AM

Being that your commander, and depending on how much you have for a team budget and what kind of markers your team is outfitted with. You can probably find a good e-trigger or a responce trigger for cheap. If you can't then do what the others said. I will say however that you seem to be a saber for the fact that you do both the roles of a commander and a broadsword.
JOIN THE WOODSBALL REVOLUTION

#14 User is offline   W.C.D 

• EndGame
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:EndGame

Posted 06 March 2009 - 09:50 AM

I'm actually playing the same position you are. I find it works really well. Why look at it as an issue when you can look at it as a plus? Look at it this way. If you can run in a wedge style, where you have guys out on either flank, and you, being the heaviest on the team so far can lay down the suppressive fire to allow your guys to flank the opfor, why couldnt you do that??
Captain - Shockwave [Canada]
Sponsored by: Save Phace, Northern Reptile, Yeswedoo.com, Pulsars
Shockwave Official Website

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users