Special Ops Paintball: Out of the game for a while - Special Ops Paintball

Jump to content


  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Out of the game for a while Thinking about getting back in Rate Topic: -----

#16 User is offline   SPEDcial Forces 

  • Junior Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 850
  • Joined: 09-October 06

Posted 15 November 2009 - 01:03 PM

How are the cheap pump-cockers you see on ebay? They crap or are they fairly good?

I basically wast to get a list of markers that are cheap, accurate, and rugged/low maintainence, and then jump on the best deal. ROF really isn't important because if I'm going to play I'm going need to do it on the cheap.
"A bad day of paintball is one where I never get hit. If I don't look like I got date-raped by an octopus by the end of the day, thats a bad thing."

So you want to know why it's called an A5?

If I could assemble a new regulator for a paintball gun, I could build a liver. How hard could it be?

Automaggot #79

I'll bet you $10 the above post is telling you to buy an automag.
0

#17 User is offline   CptObvious 

  • Original Join Date- 29th October 2004 - 04:14 PM
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Posts: 3,778
  • Joined: 22-September 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tyndall AFB
  • Brigade Name:CPTOBVIOUS

Posted 15 November 2009 - 08:17 PM

My alley cat is VERY reliable. It has never failed me, at all. It's so simple to maintain. Just unscrew the back knob (which is used for main spring adjustment) and pop the hammer and bolt out. Run a swab through it, reoil the parts, slide it back in. Done. Only tool needed is an allen wrench to remove the cocking knob. ICD markers take ICD threads, which you can still find.

As stated before, VM68s take their own threads. I love my VM, and there is a fairly large following. www.vmempire.com They are heavy suckers, thats for sure.

I'd say, though, to go with the Alley Cat (or Thunder cat, they're the same) due to extreme simple maintenance, GREAT efficeny, (I shot a case off of one 20oz, and I haven't touched the settings since taking it out of the box), they're lightweight and compact, and barrels are still pretty easy to find. I'll look around for you if you are interested in buying an Alley Cat, I know I've seen a few somewhere for sale in some corner of the internet.


Check out www.mcarterbrown.com if you are truly interested in old markers. They have a ton of info.
US Air Force
Posted Image
Proudly Sponsored by: ANS Gear || Pinokio Hoppers|| Stiffi Barrels || ChroniX Radio
[/b]
0

#18 User is offline   SPEDcial Forces 

  • Junior Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 850
  • Joined: 09-October 06

Posted 16 November 2009 - 06:40 AM

View PostCptObvious, on Nov 15 2009, 08:17 PM, said:

My alley cat is VERY reliable. It has never failed me, at all. It's so simple to maintain. Just unscrew the back knob (which is used for main spring adjustment) and pop the hammer and bolt out. Run a swab through it, reoil the parts, slide it back in. Done. Only tool needed is an allen wrench to remove the cocking knob. ICD markers take ICD threads, which you can still find.

As stated before, VM68s take their own threads. I love my VM, and there is a fairly large following. www.vmempire.com They are heavy suckers, thats for sure.

I'd say, though, to go with the Alley Cat (or Thunder cat, they're the same) due to extreme simple maintenance, GREAT efficeny, (I shot a case off of one 20oz, and I haven't touched the settings since taking it out of the box), they're lightweight and compact, and barrels are still pretty easy to find. I'll look around for you if you are interested in buying an Alley Cat, I know I've seen a few somewhere for sale in some corner of the internet.


Check out www.mcarterbrown.com if you are truly interested in old markers. They have a ton of info.


Thanks, not ready just yet, more just doing a little homework before winter break/ X-mas money/ time to do sleep study/ time to go home, hydro tank and then sell.

But old markers seam like the way for me to go. Cheap+Accurate+rugged. And the lack of one million bolt on products should force me to practice my machining and fabrication skills if I want to go all mod crazy, which is partially what I'm going to school for/intend to be part of any career I go into after.

I'm liking the sound of a VM-68. The heaviness should give me a project/thing to do once I get access to the metal shop next semester and want to learn basic milling (shave weight off), and I know with the clamp barrels you can do the thing palmer's does and figure out which way the barrel goes slightly off center, mark it, and then always put that direction up so that it shoots straighter (I love those sort of little tweaks).

The VM-68 is one of the ones that likes liquid C02, right? I have an HPA tank, but hydroed it's worth too much for me not to sell.
"A bad day of paintball is one where I never get hit. If I don't look like I got date-raped by an octopus by the end of the day, thats a bad thing."

So you want to know why it's called an A5?

If I could assemble a new regulator for a paintball gun, I could build a liver. How hard could it be?

Automaggot #79

I'll bet you $10 the above post is telling you to buy an automag.
0

#19 User is offline   CptObvious 

  • Original Join Date- 29th October 2004 - 04:14 PM
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Posts: 3,778
  • Joined: 22-September 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tyndall AFB
  • Brigade Name:CPTOBVIOUS

Posted 16 November 2009 - 06:48 AM

You can use HPA on a VM. The glorious thing about the VM, however, is that you can hook up to 5 tanks at once. :laugh:
US Air Force
Posted Image
Proudly Sponsored by: ANS Gear || Pinokio Hoppers|| Stiffi Barrels || ChroniX Radio
[/b]
0

#20 User is offline   SPEDcial Forces 

  • Junior Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 850
  • Joined: 09-October 06

Posted 16 November 2009 - 07:13 AM

View PostCptObvious, on Nov 16 2009, 06:48 AM, said:

You can use HPA on a VM. The glorious thing about the VM, however, is that you can hook up to 5 tanks at once. :laugh:


Why? Is it that much of a gas hog?
"A bad day of paintball is one where I never get hit. If I don't look like I got date-raped by an octopus by the end of the day, thats a bad thing."

So you want to know why it's called an A5?

If I could assemble a new regulator for a paintball gun, I could build a liver. How hard could it be?

Automaggot #79

I'll bet you $10 the above post is telling you to buy an automag.
0

#21 User is offline   Piller 

  • Piller
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,363
  • Joined: 23-May 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Within range
  • Brigade Name:Piller

Posted 16 November 2009 - 09:23 AM

Only if you're running liquid CO2 from a siphon tank do they tend to use a lot of gas - or in that case liquid. Otherwise, they're just a normal gas hog - about that of any other blowback. One tank is generally all that is needed, and depending on how much you shoot even a small one will do.
Automaggot #123 - Pump User #152 - ICE Epic Owner
"Marketing hype in paintball?! The nerve of some people. After all, we paintballers would never throw our hard earned cash into the magic box of marketing hype."
0

#22 User is offline   SPEDcial Forces 

  • Junior Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 850
  • Joined: 09-October 06

Posted 16 November 2009 - 10:59 AM

View PostPiller, on Nov 16 2009, 09:23 AM, said:

Only if you're running liquid CO2 from a siphon tank do they tend to use a lot of gas - or in that case liquid. Otherwise, they're just a normal gas hog - about that of any other blowback. One tank is generally all that is needed, and depending on how much you shoot even a small one will do.


OK, sounds good, goal is to shoot less. I mean really what I'd trying to do is have a "carbine" of sorts, that is less bulky compared to a standard gun (so ditching hopper and doing stick/pistol mag feed) Ideally with both the option of a vertical ASA (very tight) and the regular back bottle setup. Or even a a vertical air setup plus a ghetto-fabbed stock (thick sheetmetal, table vice, drill, metal cutting jigsaw, and some bicycle inner tubing for padding.
"A bad day of paintball is one where I never get hit. If I don't look like I got date-raped by an octopus by the end of the day, thats a bad thing."

So you want to know why it's called an A5?

If I could assemble a new regulator for a paintball gun, I could build a liver. How hard could it be?

Automaggot #79

I'll bet you $10 the above post is telling you to buy an automag.
0

#23 User is offline   CptObvious 

  • Original Join Date- 29th October 2004 - 04:14 PM
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Posts: 3,778
  • Joined: 22-September 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tyndall AFB
  • Brigade Name:CPTOBVIOUS

Posted 18 November 2009 - 12:37 PM

Well the alley cat would be your carbine. It has both a vertical ASA and back bottle spot. Short barrel, short overall length.

Here's my Cat set up with a Q Loader- Posted Image

And here's an in-game shot- Posted Image

And here's my VM in a mock-up- Posted Image
US Air Force
Posted Image
Proudly Sponsored by: ANS Gear || Pinokio Hoppers|| Stiffi Barrels || ChroniX Radio
[/b]
0

Share this topic:


  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users