• This topic is locked

What a weekend Road Trip goes wrong

#1 User is offline   Dark Shadow Hunter 

• Screwball, one each.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Dark Shadow Hunter

Posted 16 August 2010 - 05:37 AM

What a weekend I had. My wife and I went down to Cincinnati, OH for my best friend's wedding. When we were about halfway there the car started to over heat. Fortunately my wife and I were getting hungry so we stopped to eat and let the car cool down. I checked things out and we had plenty of coolant. While checking things out I also noticed a slight cut in the side wall of the tire. The cut was not there on Friday morning when I had the tire pressure checked. Since we were halfway there we decided to limp it there. I called my friend to let him know what was going on and he found a place for us to get a couple tires for cheap. He also picked up a thermostat for the car since that is what I thought it was.

Saturday morning I replaced the thermostat in a hurry. There was a lot that had to be done yet. When he went to Kentucky to take care of things for the wedding his car broke down. His belt tensioner for the serpentine belt broke. I ended up having to go to his rescue and my car was over heating again. Turned out I got the o-ring seal for the thermostat caught in the housing and it created a leak. Because getting my friend's car taken care of ate up a lot of time we left my car overnight. We limped his car to a mechanic after getting the belt back on. While the mechanic was working on his car we got a ride from his in-laws (well soon to be in a few hours at that time) to get a rental car.

At the reception his father-in-law told him the car was fixed and ready to be picked up. After the reception my friend, his new wife, my wife, and I all headed to get his car. I borrowed the car for the evening and the next morning I put a new o-ring seal in my car. All was good, or so I thought.

His grandfather-in-law lives about 5 min from where my car was left. We all convoyed over there and my car overheated again. There were a lot of phone calls after that point. I was told to pull the thermostat and test it by putting it in a pan with water over the stove. I tested it and the it opened up. At that point we were leaning towards the water pump. Back to the car to find the pump. Turns out the water pump is ran off the timing belt and it is a pain to get to. I was told by a backyard mechanic, a certified mechanic, my wife, and my friend to take it to a garage to get it fixed.

All that leaves a few problems. How to my wife and I get home? How is our car going to get to the shop? Well the answers are simple.

My friend got the rental for a whole week at the coaxing of his grandfather-in-law, who put it on his credit card. My friend does not know this yet, but his mother gave the grandfather $200 for a rental. My friend and his new wife offered their car for my wife and I to get home. So that takes car of us getting home and the happy couple returning the rental car.

Now the only issue is how to get my overheating car to the garage. Well the happy bride has an uncle that lives across the street from her grandfather. He offered to take the car to the mechanic, which is basically around the corner, this morning after he got off work. I left my information and the car key with them.

I will be getting a call to find out what is going on with the car. When I do I will set things up so I can pick up the car on Friday. My wife and I will spend the evening with my friend and his new wife. We will then head out some time on Saturday with a car in working condition.

/rant

#2 User is offline   stinkfingr 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 August 2010 - 06:38 PM

so whats the olld saying ..... if it werent for bad luck, i'd have no luck at all ... haha ... dude, this all just sounds really bad ... but as long as youre getting up on the green side of the dirt every morning, then theres something to be thankful for, eh ? ... but that weekend certainly sucked bad. i hope things work out, it sounds like there were lots of people willing to help out and all, which helps restore some faith in people-kind ... post up what they finally found with your water pump... i had an old AMC that i was always changing out the water pump, thermostat at the worst possible times.

#3 User is offline   Dark Shadow Hunter 

• Screwball, one each.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Dark Shadow Hunter

Posted 17 August 2010 - 05:02 AM

Will do klaatu. Yes, the weekend did restore my faith in humanity. The Honda Civic we have is a solid car. Outside of loosing traction and running into a tree this winter, there have been no problems with the car.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users