• You cannot reply to this topic

How to Prevent Gear Theft Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#31 User is offline   Tin Man 

• Tippinator
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 August 2007 - 08:54 AM

This is what I do

I turn on the GPS feature of my cell phone and put it in one of the small pockets of my gear bag.

If it's stolen, just call the police and give them your cell number. The phone company can notify them of it's exact location.
Most modern cell phones have GPS location settings.

Mark

The game evolves with Tippmann, Tippmann evolves with the game.©
My Feedback on SpecialOps Tippinators paintball team

#32 User is offline   Maj Tom 

• This is the funvee. Not the humdrumvee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Maj Tom

Posted 12 August 2007 - 08:57 AM

View PostTHE MENACE, on Aug 4 2007, 12:05 PM, said:

maj, where's the weed wacker motor drive system?

-THE MENACE

It already won't fit into my car, ( have to tear it down to get it to the field). A motor on it will just be another thing to take off.

#33 User is offline   Paintfan245 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Greg

Posted 13 August 2007 - 07:01 PM

All i do is take what i need with me from home.So I completely empty my bag so theres nothing extra they can steal besides my bag.Ill lock that also.If you bring spares lock em up in the bag which is locked to a picnic table.lol.Also might not work but if somones not going out to play ask them if they can watch your stuff for ya why your out?I tried it once.it worked.
Put This In Your Sig if Your Parents Don't Pay For Your Stuff.You can run but you will only die tired
"Don't bother wiping it off I'm only going to shoot you again" -PaintBaller
Spyder Gun Owners Club #103 98% of people on this forum will say that Tippmann pwns all. If you are one of the 2% that disagrees put this in your sig TEAM NEMESIS and player of Colorado

#34 User is offline   Sir Brass 

• He who bears the mark of those infected with Palmeritis
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Sir Brass

Posted 13 August 2007 - 11:57 PM

I didn't have time to read all the responses, but I did read most of the list, and have a few tips to add:

Lock your gear in your car when on site and it is NOT a play day. This pertains mostly to scenario where folks are there the day before. Keep your gear LOCKED. If you must take it out, put it in a place where it is not visible and someone has to go hunting for it to see it. This includes stashed in a tent. If you must have your gear out, namely your marker: keep it with you and ON YOU at all times. And when you get tired of this, make sure it goes in a safe location....preferably LOCKED IN YOUR CAR or in your gear bag. A theif will generally be less willing to heist an entire gear bag that can easilly be spotted missing and ID'd than a single marker or item left out from the gear bag.

Also, in agreement with leaving an identifying mark: If you marker has a serial number, record it or memorize it or have some means of tracking it. If you have a PPS marker that you are NOT THE ORIGINAL OWNER OF, contact PPS and make sure that they have YOU listed as the owner of that marker with that particular serial number. Also, laser engraving. Having the marker's name laser engraved on the marker may make its resale go down, but if it is a genuinely great marker, then whoop-de-do, why would you sell it (treyisrad not withstanding :( ..... j.k.) and also it's something that cannot be easilly removed or altered and makes it identifyable.

If you have a particularly RARE marker, or rare flavor, make sure it is widely known that YOU own it, and make sure others know who YOU are. That way when it is spotted in the hands of someone else and you've already made it known that it was heisted then others will easilly know that the one toting it is toting stolen gear.

Example: By now most folks know that I own a blazer with SN of BZ2431 named "Veera" with her name laser engraved on the side, and also some folks know that on the other side is a laser engraving of the CPPA logo. This makes it such that if I'm not around (as in, not at that pball location) and someone has THAT marker in his/her hands, then at least one or more folk will most likely recognize that that person is toting stolen goods, as I don't lend out that marker without being present on-site.

Also, if you can, get your pball gear listed on your renters or home-owners insurance. Your gear total combined is worth enough to be covered. That way, if its heisted despite your best efforts to prevent it, then you can recover damages (though if you, say, have your rare Punisher CrowdBuster stolen.....then even $$ won't replace that, though you might use the $$ to fund PPS building you a hurricane ;)).

This post has been edited by Sir Brass: 13 August 2007 - 11:58 PM

PPS Blazer (BZ2431): Veera, CCM SS-25: Emily
CPPA Member 1334
Famous last words: "Aw, crap." ~ Jake

#35 User is offline   silenthornet 

• Insert witty phrase here
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:silenthornet

Posted 15 August 2007 - 07:53 PM

keep track of anyone who stays in the staging area when a ref takes a group out to the field. more often than not (at my local field) when the ref goes out, every1 goes. so make sure if someone stays behind remember their face if stuff turns up missing when you get back. also usually refs let you take your case of paint to the dead mans' zone in a no-reinsertation game so you can refill between games instead of between rounds. this'll keep paint thieves from snatching unnoticable amounts of paint from your bag, since theres almost always a ref near (or in) the dead zone.
It is dark. You are likely to be flanked.

#36 User is offline   XziviT 

• Mess with the Best Die like the Rest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:XziviT

Posted 20 August 2007 - 11:38 AM

View PostTHE MENACE, on Jun 8 2007, 02:17 PM, said:

Many paintball players over the years have had their gear stolen. Everyone has at least heard of these stories, "gearbag and gun stolen out of truck", or "gearbag and marker taken from staging area." It's one of the biggest fears among paintball players. How can you prevent the theft of your hard-earned and beloved gear? Well, there are many avenues of approach for you to protect your paint-throwing possessions.

1.) A simple chain and padlock will go far in preventing the theft of your gear. If you chain it to the table/picnic bench/tree, very few theives are tenacious enough to attempt the theft of a mossy oak or a six foot long table.

2.) A small lock works great for locking the two zippers of your gearbag together. This way a thief wont simply open your bag and yank out your new pps blazer.

3.) If you choose your spot in the staging area correctly, this will also deter theft. The closer you are to the office/air shack/snack stand, or towards any field personnel you are, the less likely it is that you will get robbed. Remember, most gear theifs are more than likely just dumb crooks. They aren't smart enough to make a living of their own, so they steal. It's not Daniel Oceans going after your gear :P If a crook sees your gear, nice and open, next to the ref shack, then usually thats more than enough to keep him away.

4.) Probably one of the better places for your gear is your car. If you have your own personal vehicle, then you more than likely have a lock system on it. Now if a car thief comes to your walk on game, you are screwed anyway. But your average petty thief sees your gear in your car [also parked in a well-populated area], then more than likely he wont try anything.

5.) Ok, so if you didn't follow the above steps, and your gear gets grabbed, a little foresight will go along way. If you have access to government satellite coverage, then go ahead and install your average tracking device into the inner lining of your gear bag :dodgy: For the cheap players, myself included, a well-attached name tag with your address will do alot if the bad-guys decide to dump your gearbag for some reason.

6.) Well, the police found a gearbag laying on the side of the road, and how do you prove that its yours? Make some sort of personal, but well hidden, imprint on the bag. Its generally hard to argue if you tell the cops "Check in the left hand pocket, tear the lining loose at the bottom inside portion of the pocket, and find a Chuckie-Cheese token and a Willy Wonka golden ticket." By that time, if what you said is true, the gear is yours again.

7.) You decide to play with your backup, just for kicks. You left your main laying there on the staging area table. You come back, no marker. Good thing you wrote down your SERIAL NUMBER beforehand! Albeit sometimes theives will file off the serial number, this is generally a very good thing to know. Keep it in your cell phone or in your address book at home.

8.) So you set your gun down for a minute to go get your tank filled, you come back, its gone. If a marker turns up at the police station matching your description, a personal mark on the inside of a marker goes a long way also in identifying your gun. This might not be applicable for all markers, but a mark as simple as an "x" in sharpie on the inside of the grip of your 98c is generally irrefutable proof that the marker belongs to you.

9.) A list of your gear, as in a checklist, will be a good thing to have for all you gun whores out there. Just in case someone swiped your third 98c backup :P This way, if you notice when you are packing up, there is a better chance that the thief is still on-sight, and the main gate can grab it if it comes through. If you realize at home that part of your gear is gone, then chances of recovery go down.

10.) Take pictures of your gear. More than likely, the police wont know an ion from a 98c.

If anyone else has any crime-stopping ideas, shoot me a pm and i will splice them into the post!

thanks,

-THE MENACE

EDIT: dodgy added, #7 added, #9 added

Yo i know u posted this long time ago but i need to tell u something, i live in Mexico and the thiefs are common in the paintball fields, i always need to go with my dad or my mom so one of them will take care of my stuff, the problem is that if u leave ur stuff in ur car when u come back ur stuff and car wont be there and if u use a chain or something to secure ur stuff sum1 will break it with a hammer or an axe now i need u to give me some ideas to keep my stuff secured if i go to paintball solo.

Thanks... :ghillie:
Posted Image
Yo pertenesco al Guerrero que de lo Antiguo se fuciona a lo Nuevo. Maj. X, Callsign: Matrix
As I walk through the Valley of Shadow of Death, I shall fear no Evil, for I am the meanest Creature in the Valley. Gen. Patton

#37 User is offline   THE MENACE 

• /\ jewish rambo
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:THE MENACE

Posted 21 August 2007 - 01:54 PM

i have a few suggestions for ya:

get a vest, and keep everything you need in there. only bring what you need to play

or

keep your stuff in a crowded area. chances are, people will try to stop someone hammering away at your lock

or

if you are deep in the woods, bury your stuff under some leaves. like this guy: :wacko:

-THE MENACE

I'm a gun totin' scripture quotin' truck lovin' war shovin' meat eatin' liberal beatin' CONSERVATIVE!
feedback (+26/-0)---Team Chaotic Paintball is recruiting!!!---Team Chaotic Paintball.com---IMPORTANT INFO

#38 User is offline   Mobles 

• Better than Mack
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:T-Freak

Post icon  Posted 25 August 2007 - 07:27 PM

LoL. once there was this 13 year old noob at a local field. I saw him lurking In the shadows behind my bros truck. I walked over their and low and behold,He had my extra gear bag(had two spyders and a couple of tanks and stuff) and was walking to his mammas car.LoL well I was faster then him. And that was the most stupidest moment in his life when he told his mamma ,after we had caught him, that he had found it in the road and was bringing it back. HAHA you shoulda seen there faces when I showed them my name that was on the bottom.lol

moral: #1 dont steal stuff
and #2 put your name on your gear.

This post has been edited by TippyFreak: 25 August 2007 - 07:29 PM

Life is short, get off your couch
[IMG-]http://i215.photobuc...eak/meeko-1.jpg[-/IMG]
Posted Image

#39 User is offline   ANSWERS 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:ANSWERS

Posted 28 August 2007 - 08:34 PM

my home field actually does have oversized lockers, but they are outside, and the best thing is that they are next to fill station and snackbar... so they are a good grab. and they have this awesome wired front, so you can showase your gear for the thieves to drool over! lol, kinda cruel, lol

#40 User is offline   cookie 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Cookie

Posted 30 August 2007 - 09:43 AM

I put my NRA and IPSC stickers and numbers on the bag, as well as pictures of a few of my 'toys' and some cops badge with the statement "Enjoy the short time you have remaining". Never had a problem. Couple of amusing instances when I wasn't close by and other players "warned" perspective thieves to "look at the bag and think about it" before doing some thing stupid.
COOKIE
BAD MONKEYS
Team Cook
Armor Commander
Eunach Engineer
Minister of Internet Harassment

#41 User is offline   AnEchoSoldier 

• Future Property of the USMC
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:AnEchoSoldier

Posted 20 September 2007 - 06:03 PM

View PostMaj Tom, on Jun 10 2007, 11:45 AM, said:

Normally I stay near people I know me and my gear and bring just what I need to the stagging area. when I leave to go to the field the duffle gets locked and the should strap goes around a table leg. The only thing of mine that ever get's stolen are allen wrenches. Odds are not everyone is going to be on the feild at the same time. Other than that outlaw games where a staging area is nill and parking is 2 miles away I have a steel garden card that I made a gated lid for that's gets brought with me to the make shift stagging area. All other gear is locked up (including the handles) inside and it's chain to a tree. If some on can cut the chain and lug that 90lb best (unloaded) out of the woods he deserves to get it.

Mmmhmm...
And what do you usually keep in there?
*Digs through basement for chain cutters* :ninja:
"I submit to you that if a man has not found something he is willing to die for, than he is not fit to live!"
~Martin Luther King, Jr.

Put This In Your Sig if Your Parents Don't Pay For Your Stuff

#42 User is offline   THE MENACE 

• /\ jewish rambo
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:THE MENACE

Posted 29 September 2007 - 09:03 AM

what do you think someone is gonna do if they see someone using chain cutters to get at a gear bag? :P

-THE MENACE

I'm a gun totin' scripture quotin' truck lovin' war shovin' meat eatin' liberal beatin' CONSERVATIVE!
feedback (+26/-0)---Team Chaotic Paintball is recruiting!!!---Team Chaotic Paintball.com---IMPORTANT INFO

#43 User is offline   SubcutaneousPain 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 10 October 2007 - 06:29 AM

what do you think someone is gonna do if they see someone using chain cutters to get at a gear bag?

ask for a share in the profits :rolleyes:

#44 User is offline   PinDrop 

• Been here since the start...
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:PinDrop

Posted 19 October 2007 - 04:52 AM

Ok, I have read a few ideas on this forum and I just woke up for work not but 30 mins ago, so now hear this. There is only one thing that will PREVENT marker theft. Everyone here thinks about how to get the stuff back, how to make it unusable or how to catch them with it. The answer is simple and will cut down on clutter considerably. Purchase two tough-boxes from Lowe's or Home Depot, The boxes come in Small "too small" Medium "Just barely big enough" and Big "Oh yeah big enough" I took my two large Stanley tough boxes, spray painted them to our specialized camouflage color and got simple combo locks for them. First all of my markers and gear are kept in these boxes and the lock is on the box, friends and teammates know the number, Second thing to know is that all of my serial numbers are written down, with receipts of purchase AND all my markers have our "DHL/NLD" lasered onto them "Only $4.00 per marker" Prevention is the key and prevention is the topic, this isn't called "how to recover lost stuff" Keep it locked and keep it organized. I could of course leave my Spyder SE "worth about $550" on the table at the field and know it would always be there when I returned, why? Cause first everyone knows who I am and second...I cover the area around my marker with anti-personnel mines and booby traps that I bought second hand off of Puzuma :D
Where is Zuma with that BanHammer?
You have to excuse Pinhead, bro...he has very little friends and he was raised by a herd of Mountain Goats. -EvilFingers

#45 User is offline   JAGER TIGER 

• Village Sniper
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:JAGER TIGER

Posted 21 October 2007 - 07:26 PM

i have a ammo box that near impossible to open quite since the only way to open it is to club it with the but of my gun and i rigged up a dud gernade so as the box is opened the pin and spoon flys out and then theres this gernade that look ready to explode
In Russia Waldo finds you

Share this topic:

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users