• You cannot reply to this topic

LRRP (Long Range Recon Patrol) Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   BIGBOSS_202 

• BIGBOSS_202
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:BIGBOSS_202

Posted 24 May 2008 - 11:10 AM

LRRP teams. A common thing from Veitnam , There job was to patrol deep in to the jungles and look for hidden positions, unmarked trails and other things that gave the enemy an edge and either callin artilary or an air strike.

For paintball players, LRRPs are made up of 4-8 man teams and should be lightly to moderatley armed. Carrying as much air and paint as they can because there role sends then far from the support of the larger group. There job is to report on enemy positions and gather intel, If called upon, launch deversinary raids on enemy areas, take out commanders or (if it's in the scenario) eliminate tanks before they can be deployed.

Weapons: LRRPs need to carry heavy fire power in order to survive. Markers that have a responce trigger are a must because you never have to replace a battery. Markers like the Tippmann 98 , A5 and X7 are ideal for this. A rocket launcher (If used in the game) is also impotant because if you run into a tank with out it...that's it.

Skills: LRRPs should master 2 speicalty positions and be cross trained to do observation and sniping. Other than that it's all up to the player to chosse there set up and gear.

This post has been edited by BIGBOSS_202: 28 May 2008 - 04:05 PM

JOIN THE WOODSBALL REVOLUTION

#2 User is offline   CamoDeafie 

• LVL 0 Human class flanker-
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 May 2008 - 11:34 AM

its not gonna work in most games, especially if the game time is 30 minutes or less..... the SPPL for 08 have 2 30 minutes halves, in whihc the teams switch sides. also, bear in mind, this is only applicable were the teams allowed to go ahead of the larger group before the game starts or when the game starts, in scenario games, or big games. I had a similar idea for a game type to be spread out into 3 days, with the idea of the LRRP teams having to go capture the objectives on each day, going further into the property and all that while the opposing team is the large group. logistics prevented this from being set up mainly due to the need for rest and food and water, which may be very difficult while in game type. what youre descrribing is similar to the dagger on recon patrol in a shorter game; they can go deep flank undetected, and often are valuable in informing the commander where the enemy is moving which way.
Team Black Sheep, Oregon Division
ex-gunwhore
"All at is subject to political manipulation except that which speaks the language of the same manipulation."-N.S.K./Laibach
"I think wearing camo is dishonorable " - /-wear me!?

#3 User is offline   MurderDeathKill 

• Spot 31
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MurderDeathKill

Posted 24 May 2008 - 11:42 AM

Ran into one of these patrols at Red Mars last week. May I suggest some gear additions:

1. Someone ought to have a scope or binoculars, anything that will give them longer sight range. This is for observation, not for combat
2. Ghillie up. More often than not, your recon patrol is going to do just that -- Recon. Hiding is their friend.
3. Have *a* sniper with you. He's your first line of defense. After that, blaze guns at will, but give the sniper the first shot (he might end it at that)

These patrols ARE useful in some games, and they aren't useful in others. Knowing how to make and use one may prove an effective skill, but make sure it's not the only thing you know how to do.
Go Yoda -- I didn't order that!
Posted Image
T-6 A Texan II -- Vance AFB -- 71OTG Ghostriders -- 8FTS Ballers -- Cobra Flight

#4 User is offline   BIGBOSS_202 

• BIGBOSS_202
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 May 2008 - 09:01 AM

I was merly describing the basics of it but it's up to the player to decide what gear to take with them. Otherwise everything else is depending on the scenario and rules of engagement for that particular game. And I will be adding more to it when I'm able to.

#5 User is offline   ddp 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:[dp]

Posted 25 May 2008 - 10:08 AM

i think that is a great idea for most games. but if the game is only 30 min then their not much use. and mabye some adjustment on the gear they take. but it is up 2 the player to decide.

#6 User is offline   PhunkyMunky 

• Git'er Done!!
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Gotta change this

Posted 31 May 2008 - 08:11 AM

View PostBIGBOSS_202, on May 24 2008, 11:10 AM, said:

LRRP teams. A common thing from Veitnam , There job was to patrol deep in to the jungles and look for hidden positions, unmarked trails and other things that gave the enemy an edge and either callin artilary or an air strike.

For paintball players, LRRPs are made up of 4-8 man teams and should be lightly to moderatley armed. Carrying as much air and paint as they can because there role sends then far from the support of the larger group. There job is to report on enemy positions and gather intel, If called upon, launch deversinary raids on enemy areas, take out commanders or (if it's in the scenario) eliminate tanks before they can be deployed.

Weapons: LRRPs need to carry heavy fire power in order to survive. Markers that have a responce trigger are a must because you never have to replace a battery. Markers like the Tippmann 98 , A5 and X7 are ideal for this. A rocket launcher (If used in the game) is also impotant because if you run into a tank with out it...that's it.

Skills: LRRPs should master 2 speicalty positions and be cross trained to do observation and sniping. Other than that it's all up to the player to chosse there set up and gear.

If you're looking to use them as they were actually used in Vietnam, those guys have to be armed to the teeth. In reality, those guys were so far out there that they may have to wait hours or even days before help arrived, and so they had to have as much firepower as they could carry and still get the job done. Those LRRPs are now what we call Rangers. These guys were also calling in Arty fire and Air Support, which is an effective way to do alot of damage to the enemy without compremising your position.

Their primary purpose was to collect intel or disrupt enemy operations. Sometimes, on the last day of their mission, they'd conduct ambushes. And then, sometimes that WAS their mission.

You're basically not gonna get anything like that going on unless it's a big game, like say, a long weekend. Or OK-D Day. If you made a team, and you trained heavily in your basic combat skills, used the Ranger Handbook along with FM 7-8 (Army), and mixed and modded the tactics to work with paintball, you'd have a good basic start. Then you've gotta learn how to read terrain, butts enemy size and position, learn how to track people, learn how to set your gear up so that you're extreemly quiet, get your hand signals down perfect for YOUR hand signals so you can eliminate talking as much as possible, etc. etc. etc. There was a lot of skills that went into a LRRP. They were a very smart, brave, tough bunch of guys. The Army Infantry's very best. You can put a team together and do these things, but it's gonna take time and alot of work.

#7 User is offline   RANGER Conners 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 06 July 2008 - 11:54 AM

"Spirit of Robert Rogers in the Footsteps of Lauri Torni and Tutelage of Frenchy Theriault…the FIRST Wave"

The legendary Chinese Bandit Recon LRRP Team 1st Bn (ABN) 8th Cav 1965-66 was awarded TWO Presidential Unit Citations, the nation's highest unit decoration for extraordinary heroism for their participation in the Battles of the Ia Drang (Pleiku November 1965) and Nathan Hale (Trung Luong June 1966); conducted the historic FIRST night combat rappel lead by RANGER Lawson; and performed DOD/MACV/OP-35 directed long range reconnaissance (LRRP) operations lead by 101st RECONDO Robert Grimes, Jr. along the northern Cambodia and southern Laos borders in the spring of 1966 ..."Laying Down FIRST Tracks in the Central Highlands…Chinese Bandits Penetrate Deeper…and where others FEARED to tread!"

RANGER Jerry Conners, Captain jconnersn94k@att.net (Class 502) 775-847-0214 (home), PO Box 509, Virginia City, Nevada 89440
Master Parachutist (Honor Graduate of 101st ABN Jumpmaster Class), Special Forces Weapons Expert (1964-65 SF MOI, Weapons & Branch Courses…Frenchy Theriault was my Senior Weapons Instructor), 101st RECONDO (Winter 1964 Brand Number 1919), Army Aviator, AMOC, Fort Campbell Sport Parachute Club 1963-64, NRAS-PAL, Task Force Gramas (OPCON Special Operations) “Loose Nukes” Recovery Unit Greece/Turkey 1974, RAF (Terrorist) Sensitive Weapons Theft Interdiction Team Misseau, Germany 1974

Chinese Bandit 13
Chinese Bandit Recon LRRP Team 1st Bn (ABN) 8th Cav 1965-66
http://www.geocities.com/d6566mustangs
http://www.geocities...ustangs/history ... for more articles on the combat and reconnaissance patrols performed by the Chinese Bandits

Attached File(s)

• Attached File  1121.jpg (39.92K)
    Number of downloads: 0

RANGER Jerry Conners, PE
Chinese Bandit 13
Chinese Bandit Recon LRRP Team 1st Bn (ABN) 8th Cav 1965-66

#8 User is offline   Knightwolf16 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Knightwolf16

Posted 06 July 2008 - 10:45 PM

I think it would be a novel idea for large scale scenario games where team may be desingated at LRRP's but as a given position....no
"Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war." William Shakespeare
Nous sommes les seigneurs de la guerre, tremblons avant nous
The Lords of War The Lords of War on MySpace The Lords of War MSN Group Page

#9 User is offline   BIGBOSS_202 

• BIGBOSS_202
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 July 2008 - 10:51 PM

It was just an idea I had wile watching a documentry on the vietnam war and they mentioned LRRPs in it. Then again it also depends on the scenario

#10 User is offline   LcplSchmiz 

• Arrive. Raise Hell. Leave.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:LcplSchmiz

Posted 07 July 2008 - 08:21 AM

I've ran as a lone wolf recon missions and brought a few sniper teams behind lines for big/scenario games. A few things: 1. Get a laminated map of the field, preferably a Topographical one that gives you terrain features. You can plan ahead of time of good areas to run a patrol through. Also some dry erase/map pens so you can mark areas of interest, plus the back makes a good notecard for writing info down.
2. A cheap digital camera with a decent zoom lens. Its sometimes hard to describe what your looking at over a radio, or you just might forget.
3. Know how to silence your gear, electrical tape works wonders. Personally I don't shoot much while on missions, just hide 1 on 4 isn't very good odds. So carrying extra paint with you isn't the greatest thing either it rattles to much, I just top my hopper and that's it. But slings, carabeaners (SP?), keys, change (as in coins) all make rattling noise. So I suggest as you get completely geared up jump up and down a few times, note anything that rattle and either tape it down or remove it.

The mission will always dictate what you need to carry.

#11 User is offline   JJ GBR 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:JJ GBR

Posted 22 July 2008 - 04:44 AM

If your planning on trying this, the best advice i can give you is to make sure everything is full - full waterbottle (or camelback) so there's no sloshing, full pods, jangly things like keys etc should have tape wrapped wround them, so they can't move and clink against each other. Instead of tippy and other mechs, i would say use darkly coloured electros, as they are much more quiet, giving you the advantage in ambushes, and when your tabbing places, as the last thing you want when running is a heavy gat.

And the most important things - RADIOS, otherwise you could be in timbuctoo for all the rest of your team knows - and can't come and save your butt when it hits the fan.

To echo everyone else though, i think these would only work in a fairly large scenario, with a very big game field. I've got a scenario coming up soon though, i might give it a try.

#12 User is offline   MaDuce 

• Grab your gun and bring the cat in.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MaDuce

Posted 23 July 2008 - 02:13 PM

View PostBIGBOSS_202, on Jul 6 2008, 10:51 PM, said:

It was just an idea I had wile watching a documentry on the vietnam war and they mentioned LRRPs in it. Then again it also depends on the scenario

There is no reason you cannot send out recon/combat patrols in scenario games, you just don't have the "Long Range" factor to deal with. Those guys would penetrate really reeeealy deep into NVA territory and be gone for weeks at a time.

It's a good idea, however, to send out some sort of recon element as soon as a game begins to get an idea of where the opfor's defensive line is and where and in what strenght they are sending their attack elements.
"Its very hard to grasp the idea at first but once you accept it, it makes A LOT of sense!" -- Minnesota Sn1p3r on conspiracy theories
"Everyone instantly jumps the conclusion that the government is out to get us." -- SWAT SAINT
"Bad Duce, bad." -- Ace-014
"Good man, Duce, good man." -- Tryon
"Also accepting female snipers." -- Lt.Col.Vortex

#13 User is offline   REBELS_PEACHZ 

• I have ADD, you wouldn't understand....LOOK A SQUIRREL!
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:PEACHZ

Posted 23 July 2008 - 02:48 PM

View PostBIGBOSS_202, on Jul 6 2008, 11:51 PM, said:

Hey, I like the idea. I can see how it has it's purpose in big games. Or in our case a few weeks ago, small teams with ALOT of terrain to cover. We had (quick guesstimate) 8+ acres of field and two four man teams. Luckily my team had radios so we sent out a pair to scout and radio back positions to me and the other. So, considering the intense terrain, short numbers and hour long missions, our LRRP of 2 paid off huge for our team throughout the day. So keep ya head up and put the idea to work. Never know when it will pay off....it did for us!
Official Sabre #75 If We Cant Do It, It Doesnt Need To Be Done!
Christian Paintballer
Tippmann Owner's Club #112

#14 User is offline   BIGBOSS_202 

• BIGBOSS_202
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 July 2008 - 10:28 AM

happy to see someone has the idea and has already empoyed it in practece.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users