• You cannot reply to this topic

PPS Brass barrel Review from actual game play Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Sir Brass 

• He who bears the mark of those infected with Palmeritis
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Sir Brass

Posted 22 July 2006 - 06:55 PM

BARREL UNDER REVIEW: Palmer's Pursuit Shop 12" Brass barrel, threaded for the A-5, unported, black powder coated
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Environmental Conditions

Temperature: 89*F Humidity: 23%

Wind Speed: Calm

Weather Conditions: Clear

Paint Information

Date of Purchase: 07/15/2006

Brand: Empire Engage

Paintball Size: Medium. About .688 if I had to guess

Marker Setup Information

Velocity: around 288 FPS

Make: Tippman Model: A-5

Air Source: HPA (PMI 72ci/3000psi steel Pure Energy tank)

Regulated: Yes, by HPA tank regulator
(If yes please specify manufacturer: PMI)

Modifications List:

PPS Brass Barrel
SpecOps A-5A2 EZ Air-thru Kit
SpecOps 3 point sling
32* Hopper (guess as to manufacturer)
Tri-rail scope rings
SureFire G2 Nitrolon w/ remote tailswitch endcap
BSA 30mm red dot sight

User Evaluation
When I owned my blazer, one of the chief components of my accuracy with it was the PPS Brass barrel, in addition to quality paint and the quality of the marker, and all were superior generally (paint quality varied depending on what I bought). I saw today that the barrel quality has NOT changed a single bit. At typical long range paintball engagement ranges I had a shot dispersion radius of about 8" (eyeball measurement). This sucker not only shot my engage well, but a full hopper load of a friend's OLD, CRAPPY fat paint. Both the paint that fit tightly into the Apex barrel (old crap paint), and the stuff that rolled straight through it (Empire Engage) shot near perfect out of this barrel. Now, the old crappy paint had a much wider shot dispersion, but that is due to paint. If you have bad paint, no barrel can fix the ball's flight.
As for sound, for an unported barrel this was nice. It was no louder than I figure a stock A-5 barrel is. If I had had a ported brass barrel, she would have whispered the shots.
Consistancy. Yes this is primarilly a function of the marker and air source, but a good barrel will shoot quality paint consistantly and this one did very well at that. I could tell you as soon as the balls left the barrel where the paint was going to end up. I made a few good eliminations today that way. One from a ground bounce, and the other through a small area through thick brush. The shot consistancy was nice enough so that I could more or less pin point my shots.

All in all, 9.5/10 (I still need FL/\'s apex adapter to fit the apex tip onto this)

This barrel is WONDERFUL. I got ZERO breaks all day and I figure I shot about 2 or 3 hoppers worth of paint through this barrel, most at a rapid fire. ZERO breaks, even with the fat, crappy paint. THAT is amazing, but not surprising given my previous experience with PPS's barrels. This barrel lived up to its manufacturer in the fullest. I expected to be amazed at this barrel's performance and I was. PPS delivered what I wanted. Now I only need away FL/\'s apex tip adapter so I can fit the Apex tip onto this.

PPS may not be a big name, but that's b/c they only truly advertise by word of mouth. And I have NOTHING but total praise for their worksmanship, customer service (when I called in to order this barrel, I was treated very nicely and they even willingly did an odd favor for me by measuring the barrel's outer diameter with a micrometer, which I needed to give to FL/\ so he can make me the apex adapter that'll fit this barrel), and quality of product. My palmeritis has been reborn.

PPS Blazer (BZ2431): Veera, CCM SS-25: Emily
CPPA Member 1334
Famous last words: "Aw, crap." ~ Jake

#2 User is offline   Legato 

• AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator

Posted 23 July 2006 - 12:20 AM

All Hail Glenn and Craig Palmer For their Brass Marvels. ::bow:: I love the Palmers brass so much, i have two Palmers markers with brass barrels. I swear by it. Thanks for the great review.

Seriously folks, brass is what they used to make barrels out of back in the day, cause it really is the best material to make a barrel out of. The paint slides smoother over brass than any other metal. Most makers, cept Palmers, stopped doing it due to cost and weight. Everyone wanted cheaper, and to top it off brass weighs a ton, and we all know how to the pros nowadays 3 grams off a barrel is big deal. I love my brass. I feel i coudl beat a zombie to death with it, put it back on my blazer and it would still fire clear as day.. \

Sorry im a Palmers whore, i cant help it. They really make the most high quality stuff. No it isnt cheap, but you really do get what you pay for. Read my sig. You really do get more when you pay upfront, cause when you cheap out, you pay for it the rest of the time you use the marker/
"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

#3 User is offline   Sir Brass 

• PipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 23 July 2006 - 01:38 AM

View Postreapermen, on Jul 23 2006, 12:20 AM, said:

Sorry im a Palmers whore...

All hail Palmeritis!!

HAIL!

And honestly, the weight is a null issue. The barrel isn't all that heavy, and I really can't feel it's weight too much when toting it. I feel the full hopper more than I feel the barrel's weight.
CPPA Member 1334

#4 User is offline   Blackfish 

• Paintslinger
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Blackfish

Posted 30 July 2006 - 03:48 PM

Im just curious if each palmer barrel is the same OD or is each one its own work of art ? Would I have to ask them to measure that as well ?
IPB Image
"If we can't do it I doesn't need to be done."
IPB Image

#5 User is offline   Legato 

• AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator

Posted 30 July 2006 - 11:59 PM

i believe they are all the same bore id. But you have to remember the barrels are eliptically honed. Meaning the barrel is thinnest at the front and end, and is widest in the middle, with it tapering towards each end. So its made to fit all sizes of paint. Thats why they dont put out a barrel kit, it isnt needed, the eliptical honing works just fine.
"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

#6 User is offline   Jackson 

• Resident Tiberius Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:PvtDBJackson

Posted 31 July 2006 - 05:27 AM

View Postreapermen, on Jul 31 2006, 02:59 AM, said:

i believe they are all the same bore id. But you have to remember the barrels are eliptically honed. Meaning the barrel is thinnest at the front and end, and is widest in the middle, with it tapering towards each end. So its made to fit all sizes of paint. Thats why they dont put out a barrel kit, it isnt needed, the eliptical honing works just fine.

He said OD. In that case, I'm 99% sure that all barrellls are the same OD (if I remember correctly 13/16")

#7 User is offline   Sir Brass 

• PipPipPip

Posted 31 July 2006 - 12:56 PM

It depends on if you get it powder coated or not, and whether you have multi-color powder coats (adds some extra thickness). When they mic'ed (used a micrometer) the barrel OD on mine (needed data to give to FL^), they said 0.807". Of course, with this being brass and brass actually doing some expanding and contracting depending on weather, it's changed a bit, making the 0.087" a bit over-exaggerated, but no big deal (it was for the apex adapter from UMS).

Though now I'm at an undecidable fork in the road. I now have my pps barrel and I also have a hammerhead barrel kit. I LOVE both. One is apex-equipped, the other makes my A-5 just as accurate as my old blazer straight up.
CPPA Member 1334

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users