• You cannot reply to this topic

Winter paintball help what do I need? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   IRA_Marksman14 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:FOOL_1

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:29 PM

I could ask the broad question, "what do I neeed for winter paintball?" but here are a few details:

Illinois, Lake County/Chicago area

Is CO2 okay for the most part (I hear my Tippmann can handle liquid CO2)*

Clothing (anything specific besides snow pants and a jacket?)

*Note: I don't have the money for HPA at this time. Also, if I do play in the winter, my friends and I dont intend to play in extremes like below zero, just around 15F+

This post has been edited by IRA_Marksman14: 08 October 2009 - 07:29 PM

"We ain't making no [god dang] cornflakes here."

Drugs have taught an entire generation of kids the metric system

"Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer."

When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realized God doesn’t work that way, so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness.

Now and then I announce "I know you're listening!" to empty rooms. If I'm wrong then no one knows, and if I'm right, Maybe I just freaked the hell out of some secret organization.

#2 User is offline   Pirate 

• I aim to misbehave.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:PirateCaptain

Posted 05 October 2009 - 09:43 PM

Ditch CO2. That's really a general suggestion, but in the winter it's twice as bad, if not more.
HPA is the way to go.

Wear layers. If it's really cold, I usually wear my Under Armor Cold Gear, a sweatshirt, then my jersey.
For your legs, get some long underwear, under armor, or something of that nature. Wear it under your normal pants.
Find some good, warm gloves you can still shoot with.
Speaking of shooting, using a low pressure gun is usually helpful. My Tippmann would bust a lot of paint in the winter, by my Fusion or Marq are pretty good with it. I never noticed a big difference in using Winter formula paint versus normal paint, but if you're using a Tippmann it might be a good idea to get some Winter Formula.

WEAR WOOL SOCKS...maybe two pair. Keep your toes warm. That was always my biggest problem, keeping the fingers, toes, and noes warm.
Maybe wearing a facemask under your paintball mask (like, a ski mask). I know when I was in Chicago last January it was cold as...well, Chicago in January.
My job is to be an asshole. I excel at the position.
We put our glass to the sky and lift up. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya. So raise a pint for the people that aren't with us. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya...
Austin Michelle Cloyd, Forever in my heart. We love you, Ayesha! Rest in Peace Tyler Hackett
Rest in Peace, Dave Brockie! Cam Cam #83

#3 User is offline   Piller 

• Piller
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Piller

Posted 06 October 2009 - 07:27 AM

CO2 will work well only if you are running straight liquid CO2 from a siphon tank on a Tippmann equipped with a metal power tube, preferably something older than a Model 98, like something from the Carbine series. Being able to handle liquid CO2 and actually run off of it are two different things. Running liquid CO2 actually gets similar consistency to HPA, its more consistent than standard gaseous CO2. Also, the colder it gets and the more you shoot, the better it works.

Modern Tippmanns are liquid CO2 tolerant, but it still changes the way they shoot. You can try to use CO2, but will more than likely have velocity issues. You may have difficulty getting your velocity high enough. Consistency will be way off as liquid CO2 enters and leaves the marker, and you will also have a large amount of velocity drop off when shooting a long stream of shots. If you are going to use CO2, try to spread your shots out as much as possible, and keep your marker+tank the same temperature you are playing in. That's about the best you can do.
Automaggot #123 - Pump User #152 - ICE Epic Owner
"Marketing hype in paintball?! The nerve of some people. After all, we paintballers would never throw our hard earned cash into the magic box of marketing hype."

#4 User is offline   Krazy8 

• User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Krazy8

Posted 06 October 2009 - 09:42 AM

I will address what the other have not yet.

You also need a good ice chest for your paint!

Yes...an ice chest.

As the paint gets cold you start seeing dramatic problems with performance. The paint itself shrinks as it chills and then becomes brittle.
In temps below freezing it happens pretty quick in pods.

During games...take less paint with you into the game than you would during the summer. typically you start to see cold issues with your paint in as little as ten minutes...unless you take some precautions.

Now to the ice chest. Make sure you have the ice chest in the house with you the day before the game. Allow the inside of the chest to reach a nice warm room temp by keeping the lid open all night.
Load your paint in it an close her up tight.
During the day leave you ice chest of paint in you car. If it is a good chest the paint will stay above the freezing temp and be consistantly good all day as you use it.
If you play a game and do not use all your paint, rotate your paint. Trade warm paint for cold paint.....yes put the cold paint back in the bags. That will bring the temp of the paint back to a nice usable level and you will enjoy good performance all day while your friends start to see paint issues mid day.

Than it is upto you. Share your knowledge...or use your secret weapon to shoot your friends!

Enjoy the winter play! We play all year here in the Pacific Northwest and some of the best games I remember had a good bit of snow on the ground.

#5 User is offline   headhunter2 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:headhunter2

Posted 06 October 2009 - 10:35 AM

Well good advice so far. I can tell you from experience that a tippmann is not going to preform well if the temperature drops close to freezing. The Co2 will not have time to expand before entering the expansion tube and you will have all kinds of velocity issues. I would suggest getting an HPA setup if that is available to you or getting a palmers stabilizer. As for the winter formula paint it is a joke. It doesn't work any better than regular paint in the cold temps and is on average more expensive. My biggest suggestions to you are get HPA and use a good quality paint that matches the bore of your barrel.

As for clothing. Dress warm and use layers. Keep your hands, feet, and nose warm as these are the first places you will get frostbite. Expect for things like gloves and socks to get wet so bring extras to change out during the day.
Invisible text club member #15 Every time you wipe paint God makes a new PETA member Adminion #12 My Feedback
If you play your own game of paintball using Spec ops as guidelines and not as "law of position", put this in your sig.

#6 User is offline   Minnesota Sn1p3r 

• Back on the Attack!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MN Sn1p3r

Posted 06 October 2009 - 11:44 AM

Ok, first, the CO2 tank is going to be a problem. If you dont upgrade to an HPA tank before winter, when you play take the biggest sock you can find and fill it halfway with rice, then stick it in the microwave and let it heat up for about 30 sec to a 1 minuet, take it out and put your tank inside and tape it or whatever you need to do to get it to stay on, that should keep your tank warm for a while but if you need to reheat the rice, TAKE THE TANK OUT OF THE SOCK!!! :wacko:

As far as clothes go, I would wear a heavy sweatshirt and a nice pair of insulated jeans or some longjohns under some heavy pants, its simple and it wont make you a walking bunker. You will deffinately want a warm hat on and a pair of gloves (not bulky middle of winter ones), but a warm pair that arent too big. A facemask or a balclava under ur mask will keep your face warm and a nice pair of warm socks are VERY important and I would play with some hunting boots on.

I may be going overboard for where your playing but when your playing in the northland of Minnesota in the middle of winter, this is what I wear. Have fun playing winter ball and keep your feet dry! :P
"Its better to out-think your enemy than to out-fight them" - Sun Tzu

"I dont like paying for the same realestate twice" - General George S. Patton

#7 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 06 October 2009 - 11:52 AM

Extra batteries if needed. I also like half finger gloves in the winter.

#8 User is offline   IRA_Marksman14 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:FOOL_1

Posted 08 October 2009 - 07:35 PM

Minnesota Sn1p3r, on Oct 6 2009, 01:44 PM, said:

Ok, first, the CO2 tank is going to be a problem. If you dont upgrade to an HPA tank before winter, when you play take the biggest sock you can find and fill it halfway with rice, then stick it in the microwave and let it heat up for about 30 sec to a 1 minuet, take it out and put your tank inside and tape it or whatever you need to do to get it to stay on, that should keep your tank warm for a while but if you need to reheat the rice, TAKE THE TANK OUT OF THE SOCK!!! :D

As far as clothes go, I would wear a heavy sweatshirt and a nice pair of insulated jeans or some longjohns under some heavy pants, its simple and it wont make you a walking bunker. You will deffinately want a warm hat on and a pair of gloves (not bulky middle of winter ones), but a warm pair that arent too big. A facemask or a balclava under ur mask will keep your face warm and a nice pair of warm socks are VERY important and I would play with some hunting boots on.

I may be going overboard for where your playing but when your playing in the northland of Minnesota in the middle of winter, this is what I wear. Have fun playing winter ball and keep your feet dry! :dodgy:

ok...rice and a sock, that sounds like it works. But what about hand warmers? I heard those work too
"We ain't making no [god dang] cornflakes here."

Drugs have taught an entire generation of kids the metric system

"Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer."

When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realized God doesn’t work that way, so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness.

Now and then I announce "I know you're listening!" to empty rooms. If I'm wrong then no one knows, and if I'm right, Maybe I just freaked the hell out of some secret organization.

#9 User is offline   CptObvious 

• Original Join Date- 29th October 2004 - 04:14 PM
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:CPTOBVIOUS

Posted 08 October 2009 - 09:33 PM

I've never encountered a problem using CO2 in my 98C during the winter. I've played in the Poconos in the middle of winter and at home in Jersey in below freezing temps. I'm not saying anyone's advice here is wrong, definatly not, but from my experience, I have never had a failure of my Tippmann due to freezing. However...my fingers had goten stuck to my 98C one time. That wasn't fun at all. Make sure to wear some full fingered gloves. I saw someone say that they have issues keeping their toes and fingers warm. Thats true- extremities are the first to get cold and first to get frostbite. Your body takes the blood flow away to keep your core warm. Definatly go with the wool socks, and try and keep your hands warm as best as you can. (Handwarmers in between games. Maybe get a propane stove going).

And remember to hydrate, even in the winter. Your body is still sweating!
US Air Force
Posted Image
Proudly Sponsored by: ANS Gear || Pinokio Hoppers|| Stiffi Barrels || ChroniX Radio
[/b]

#10 User is offline   Piller 

• Piller
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Piller

Posted 08 October 2009 - 10:08 PM

I recommend not using any type of insulation or heating device on CO2. It's a common misconception that it is the cold that is the enemy. It's not so much the cold itself that causes inconsistency as it is temperature fluctuation. There are no heating devices that can keep up with the rate CO2 chills. Likewise, insulation can't help a chill that comes from within. Heating devices only add to the inconsistency. Ideally you want your marker and tank to be the same temperature as what you are playing in - even if it is cold. Make an effort to keep that temperature consistent by controlling how much you shoot. CO2 is a little more difficult to use in the winter, but it is doable as long as you work with it, not against.

Heating devices became popular on Automags in the early 90s. Their case is different because the marker is self regulating. In their case it doesn't matter if the CO2 pressure is fluctuating because the regulator always bring it back to what it is set at. The heating in their case is just to keep liquid CO2 out, which they are sensitive to. On an unregulated marker like a 98 Custom, how consistent the temperature of your CO2 tank is directly relates to how consistent your marker shoots.

This post has been edited by Piller: 08 October 2009 - 10:11 PM

Automaggot #123 - Pump User #152 - ICE Epic Owner
"Marketing hype in paintball?! The nerve of some people. After all, we paintballers would never throw our hard earned cash into the magic box of marketing hype."

#11 User is offline   TheEnd 

• I am the who when you call "Who's there?"
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:TheFear07

Posted 11 October 2009 - 10:45 AM

Heating your co2 causes more problems than it fixes. Don't do it.
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realized God doesn’t work that way, so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness.- Emo Philips
I don't drink these days. I'm allergic to alcohol and narcotics. I break out in handcuffs. Robert Downey Junior
Now and then I announce "I know you're listening to empty rooms". If I'm wrong then no one knows, and if I'm right, Maybe I just freaked the hell out of some secret organization.

#12 User is offline   Flippy the Wonder Bunny 

• My E-MAN PART is bigger than yours
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 October 2009 - 06:29 PM

Don't skimp out on the paint in the winter. Cheap stuff will chop like no other.

#13 User is offline   silenthornet 

• Insert witty phrase here
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:silenthornet

Posted 11 October 2009 - 07:01 PM

Gas wise, I've got nothing on the Co2 issue not covered by everyone else. I'm making the switch to HPA, personally, just so I don't have to deal with the fluctuations any more (plus, I hate when fields run out of Co2).

Clothing-wise, there's rarely such thing as too much. Under armor, long johns, sweatshirts, turtlenecks... anything that will keep the warmth on you, wear, and wear in layers. Nothing sucks more than overheating in your jacket when all you have underneath is a t-shirt. I use three or four layers, depending on the temperature:
1. Thermal underwear/under armor. This layer should wick away sweat from your skin to keep you dry, as well as serving basic heat needs.
2. Pants and shirt. Cotton or fleece pants and shirts will be your base heat layer and extra padding between your bigger layers.
3. Sweatshirt/sweater and snow pants. A wool/cotton sweatshirt will be your outer layer on "coldish" (40+ degrees) days. Snow pants (waterproof, insulated) apply when snow or frigid temperatures are present.
4. Heavy winter jacket. Once it starts snowing or dips below freezing, you need a windproof, insulated outer shell, such as a parka or ski jacket.

Gloves, hats, and face masks are your own choice. Ski masks, balaclavas, and wool caps work well under your paintball mask. As for gloves, look for the warmest pair you can find in which you can still operate your marker (i.e. shoot and reload). I found out too late in my winter game last year that my heavy winter gloves are too bulky to use, and I had a minor case of frostbite. Not fun.

Shoes - anything that floats your boat. In above freezing temps, a solid pair of boots and wool socks will get you through. Below freezing or snowy, you may need something heavier, as well as waterproof. Neoprene socks, I've found, are excellent for keeping your feet dry and warm when put on over wool socks (they're made of the same material as scuba suits).

Food and water - everyone has said it so far, and I will say it again. Dehydration is your #1 threat, even above extreme cold, simply because you will not get thirsty like you do in the heat. If you have one, a portable camp stove (basically a propane tank with a torch on top) is excellent for making more refreshing hot beverages (who wants to drink cold water when it's below freezing?). As for food, granola, fruit, and trail mix as between-game energy snacks, and a more substantial meal for a long day.

Make sure to pack extra of EVERYTHING to your game. Socks, shoes, shirts, everything. Wet clothing is almost as bad as no clothing when it's cold, especially in the wind.

-Thorgold

Out of curiosity, you wouldn't happen to be going to the FEAR game in Harvard on the 24th, would you?
It is dark. You are likely to be flanked.

#14 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 October 2009 - 07:23 PM

Also since we all missed the absolute rule I'll say it .... use winter paint. :(

#15 User is offline   silenthornet 

• Insert witty phrase here
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:silenthornet

Posted 11 October 2009 - 07:27 PM

slinkyaroo, on Oct 11 2009, 09:23 PM, said:

Also since we all missed the absolute rule I'll say it .... use winter paint. :(

I think someone in the previous posts mentioned using paint made for colder weather. That or it was another topic...

Gah, I hate the "collapsed" style of threads. Is there some way I can turn that off...?
It is dark. You are likely to be flanked.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users