Special Ops Paintball: To go Mil-Sim or Not to go Mil-Sim - Special Ops Paintball

Jump to content


  • (4 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

To go Mil-Sim or Not to go Mil-Sim That is the question my wallet cries about... Rate Topic: -----

#31 User is offline   CdnNinja 

  • The enemy cannot push a button, if you disable his hand.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,119
  • Joined: 11-July 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:McGregor, Ontario, Canada

Posted 16 December 2008 - 12:49 PM

I'd say either a tac 1 or a TM-7. I got to hold a TM-7 the other day while I was reffing. I must say it got me thinking about getting one even though I'm not reall a milsim guy. It has the performance of a mini in a milsim shell. Plus it's not large and cumbersome like some of the other milsim markers you see out there. and the Tac 1, well it speaks for itself really.
Posted Image
0

#32 User is offline   CAN77 

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 149
  • Joined: 28-May 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Greenville, SC
  • Brigade Name:CAN77

Posted 16 December 2008 - 02:48 PM

I would get a G3.

Invert Minis are nice too, the newer made ones have had alot less maintenance promblems.

I would suggest buying one of those guns from a local store because I know some stores that will give life time warranty on the guns they sell and fix them if they get messed up.

Would suggest a PMR but the solenoid can get blown easily, and you cant walk the stupid monkey sloung of a trigger for any thing.

You dont really have to upgrade anything on G3's or Mini's unless you are playing tournament ball.

The M-TAC is not weighed down with "crap" it is simulated to be wieghted like an M4. If you are getting a woodsball gun usually wieght of gun isnt that important. The MTAC can out perform any other woodsball marker out there.

Once again I suggest a Speedball style marker because its hard to play speedball with a mil-sim but you can play speed or woodsball with a speedball style marker.

This post has been edited by CAN77: 16 December 2008 - 02:57 PM

0

#33 User is offline   russc 

  • Senior Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,099
  • Joined: 06-July 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Vancouver, BC

Posted 16 December 2008 - 04:26 PM

Batteries suck. Just gonna throw that out there.
0

#34 User is offline   Steed 

  • Senior Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,028
  • Joined: 26-July 05

Posted 16 December 2008 - 04:33 PM

If you read the thread you'd see I'm not looking for a "woodsball" gun, the marker on the top of my list is an Evo! No, the reason why I bring up Mil-Sim markers is for their inherent comfort for field use for several hours but the VAST majority of which offer no direct gains for their added weight, the ATS is unique to that aspect that's why it made the list as well as the TM-7, they are unique. The M-Tac is in consideration but the price most likely keeps it out of the running. As for the DP recommendations, I understand that they're good markers but again they're not on my list, I have my reasons and have stated them, the suggestion is appreciated but I'll pass, thank you.
And so everyone know's I got a word from AGD the Tac-One Warp bodies will be in stock in 2 months.

For a grand I'd rather get a Marq, which I don't really want but that's neither here not there, not interested in the Marq, if I want a high end I'd get an Ego or Fly.

This post has been edited by Steed: 16 December 2008 - 04:44 PM

0

#35 User is offline   Steed 

  • Senior Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,028
  • Joined: 26-July 05

Posted 17 December 2008 - 11:17 AM

So I've reached a decision, sort of, I'm 2 months from buying anything due to timing and well I won't be playing till March (at best). The Curse works, she's needs a good reset on the reg and new springs but she works, most of my problems stemmed from my blender... I mean Halo.

But I am still buying a new toy and after a long hard thought process I've decided on the Tac8 (basic w/ extra mag and SO Holster) and later this summer a Tac-One. The Curse can send more paint down range then I can pull the trigger, especially now with the PSP caps being applied to certain fields and Scenarios. The Tac8 is the most logical choice for when I'm out carrying a SWAM, I only need afew shots to cover my butt and the Tac8 is accurate enough to fill that need, granted it doesn't have the hopper like I want but when I'm out with 3' of aluminum, I don't want a tank or more then 100 rounds on me. It's light, reliable, will give me many hours of fun when playing rec and I think the best direction without investing in pump right now. Thanks for your guys input, the Tac-One will be ordered some time this year depending on how well the photography goes.
0

#36 User is offline   Unkel Fester 

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 119
  • Joined: 01-December 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ancient Sumaria
  • Brigade Name:Unkel Fester

Post icon  Posted 18 December 2008 - 08:55 AM

I Smell a tippmann hater. Perhaps you've been owned with one more times than you'd care to remember?? Heck you should get a Splatmaster if you're going for a sidearm, they're big, tough, old, and reliable. I have one and its amazing. Oh, and I block your stupid puny anvil with the parasol of fate.

This post has been edited by Unkel Fester: 18 December 2008 - 08:57 AM

0

#37 User is offline   Marauder_Pilot 

  • Thrilling Heroics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,237
  • Joined: 10-May 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Whitehorse, Yukon
  • Brigade Name:Marauder_Pilot

Posted 18 December 2008 - 09:13 AM

View Postrussc, on Dec 16 2008, 04:26 PM, said:

Batteries suck. Just gonna throw that out there.

It's true, they do.
Also, why not go for the AT-85 over the 10 or 4? It's more functional with the forward loader, and just as good.


View PostUnkel Fester, on Dec 18 2008, 08:55 AM, said:

I Smell a tippmann hater. Perhaps you've been owned with one more times than you'd care to remember?? Heck you should get a Splatmaster if you're going for a sidearm, they're big, tough, old, and reliable. I have one and its amazing. Oh, and I block your stupid puny anvil with the parasol of fate.


Or maybe he, like most of us, have already gone through a few Tippmanns, and have already outgrown them and gotten sick of the dead weight, terrible resale vale/potential, shoddy internals (Post-buyout), poor performance, pounds of unnecessary dead weight (My AT-10 weighs about what my old A-5 SAW stock did) and generally poor value of a Tippmann.

But Splatmasters rock.
0

#38 User is offline   Hook 

  • Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 41
  • Joined: 16-October 07

Posted 18 December 2008 - 11:32 AM

View PostMarauder_Pilot, on Dec 18 2008, 11:13 AM, said:

Or maybe he, like most of us, have already gone through a few Tippmanns, and have already outgrown them and gotten sick of the dead weight, terrible resale vale/potential, shoddy internals (Post-buyout), poor performance, pounds of unnecessary dead weight (My AT-10 weighs about what my old A-5 SAW stock did) and generally poor value of a Tippmann.

But Splatmasters rock.


I partially agree - I'm one of those ballers who started with a Tippmann, modded the hell out of it and sold it to get something better. Granted, they are heavy and not the greatest markers around, but what do you expect from a $200 marker? It's not made of plastic like an SP1 or the Tac-9's add-ons, doesn't look like a Fisher Price gun like most low-end electros. It feels solid and heavy. And it's only $200. Bottom line is Tippmann makes very durable markers that caters well to the rental & occasional players. Once you're done with it, you upgrade to something better, based on your playing style and personal preferences.

Poor resale? Poor value? What has more deprecitation than a speedball marker? These things lose as mucha s 50% of their resale value in the firt 12 months, then another 25% the year after. No wonder a $1500 EGO goes for $500 2 years later.

I used to like milsim markers for the sheer fun that customizing provided and for the realism aspect. It gives people a chance to enjoy their marker outside the field. Customizing a Tippmann yields endless possibilities. But after playing big games with a heavy marker, not to mention a complete tear-down and rebuild after each game. I decided I wanted something better and got an Automag.

The Tac-One body may not offer as much modding potential as a Tippmann, but with a bit of creativity, you can cutomize it to something milsim-ish. Mags are lighter than Tippy's, better built and require very little maintenance.

If I had to go with a speedball marker for woodsball, I'd either go with a Mini or TM-7, or a PMR. All 3 all fit in the same price bracket and offer exceptional performance for the price. Otherwise, I'd go with a Vice or a used Eclipse marker. Add a T-stock and a remote, and anyone of these markers will perform exceptionallly well in the woods.

But it all boils down to one question - ask yourself WHY you want to go with a milsim marker.

Automaggot #131
0

#39 User is offline   splntercell 

  • Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 337
  • Joined: 03-April 07
  • Brigade Name:splntercell

Posted 18 December 2008 - 08:56 PM

View PostSteed, on Dec 17 2008, 01:17 PM, said:

So I've reached a decision, sort of, I'm 2 months from buying anything due to timing and well I won't be playing till March (at best). The Curse works, she's needs a good reset on the reg and new springs but she works, most of my problems stemmed from my blender... I mean Halo.

But I am still buying a new toy and after a long hard thought process I've decided on the Tac8 (basic w/ extra mag and SO Holster) and later this summer a Tac-One. The Curse can send more paint down range then I can pull the trigger, especially now with the PSP caps being applied to certain fields and Scenarios. The Tac8 is the most logical choice for when I'm out carrying a SWAM, I only need afew shots to cover my butt and the Tac8 is accurate enough to fill that need, granted it doesn't have the hopper like I want but when I'm out with 3' of aluminum, I don't want a tank or more then 100 rounds on me. It's light, reliable, will give me many hours of fun when playing rec and I think the best direction without investing in pump right now. Thanks for your guys input, the Tac-One will be ordered some time this year depending on how well the photography goes.


If your getting multiple mags for the tac 8 you might want to consider getting one of these chest rigs. The pockets across the front fit the tac 8 mags perfect. I used one when i played with my T9 and mags, all i had to do was remove the elastic bands that hold the mags in.
0

#40 User is offline   ger 

  • Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,676
  • Joined: 31-August 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Western PA

Posted 19 December 2008 - 11:14 AM

View PostUnkel Fester, on Dec 18 2008, 10:55 AM, said:

I Smell a tippmann hater. Perhaps you've been owned with one more times than you'd care to remember?? Heck you should get a Splatmaster if you're going for a sidearm, they're big, tough, old, and reliable. I have one and its amazing. Oh, and I block your stupid puny anvil with the parasol of fate.


You sound more like a Tippmann fanboy that he does a hater. He specifically said don't suggest Tippmann or he'd smack ya, that's why he went looking for his anvil :dodgy:.

He's looking for a better option than an A-5, of which there are plenty (even in the milsim market). Believe me, I like my A-5 probably as much as you do yours, but at the same time I realize it's not the end all of markers.

Oh, and comparing an anvil & parasol is like comparing a Ego9 & A-5 - The A-5 may be able to be dolled up real nice, but the Ego9 could break the A-5 :laugh: Just kidding, there's love.
ger
You bought the brand, not my allegiance.
0

#41 User is offline   Marauder_Pilot 

  • Thrilling Heroics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,237
  • Joined: 10-May 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Whitehorse, Yukon
  • Brigade Name:Marauder_Pilot

Posted 19 December 2008 - 11:35 AM

View PostpvcHook, on Dec 18 2008, 11:32 AM, said:

View PostMarauder_Pilot, on Dec 18 2008, 11:13 AM, said:

Or maybe he, like most of us, have already gone through a few Tippmanns, and have already outgrown them and gotten sick of the dead weight, terrible resale vale/potential, shoddy internals (Post-buyout), poor performance, pounds of unnecessary dead weight (My AT-10 weighs about what my old A-5 SAW stock did) and generally poor value of a Tippmann.

But Splatmasters rock.

Poor resale? Poor value? What has more deprecitation than a speedball marker? These things lose as mucha s 50% of their resale value in the firt 12 months, then another 25% the year after. No wonder a $1500 EGO goes for $500 2 years later.


They're still awful. I paid $900 USD for my 45'd Squall in the summer and sold it for...$900 USD last week. Hell, with the exchange rate, I made money from it. The assorted other brass and ATS guns I've cycled through have all been sold for exactly what I paid for them. I doubt I got more then half of what I invested in my A-5 back, and I bought almost everything on it new.

And feeling solid and being solid are two very different things. I've owned 2 98Cs and one A-5. Between the three of them, over 2 years, I needed 8 new powertubes and 4 spring kits to keep them running well. My PMI-1 is older then I am and has only ever needed o-rings and lube.
0

#42 User is offline   Hook 

  • Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 41
  • Joined: 16-October 07

Posted 19 December 2008 - 01:51 PM

View PostMarauder_Pilot, on Dec 19 2008, 01:35 PM, said:

They're still awful. I paid $900 USD for my 45'd Squall in the summer and sold it for...$900 USD last week. Hell, with the exchange rate, I made money from it. The assorted other brass and ATS guns I've cycled through have all been sold for exactly what I paid for them. I doubt I got more then half of what I invested in my A-5 back, and I bought almost everything on it new.

And feeling solid and being solid are two very different things. I've owned 2 98Cs and one A-5. Between the three of them, over 2 years, I needed 8 new powertubes and 4 spring kits to keep them running well. My PMI-1 is older then I am and has only ever needed o-rings and lube.

There's one factor why that Squall didn't depreciate in value. Palmer's, Mags, or ATS markers cater to a niche market. They aren't mass-produced like Tippmann, Fart Parts, Dye, Eclipse etc. They are rare, extremely well made and thus hold their value quite well.

Anything else that is mass-produced - regardless if it's an "awful" $200 Tippmann or a high-priced Space gun - can and will depreciate. This isn't exclusive to Tippmanns.

Your biased view on how awful Tippmann is and their resale value are two different things. You can at least admit that.

Automaggot #131
0

#43 User is offline   Marauder_Pilot 

  • Thrilling Heroics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,237
  • Joined: 10-May 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Whitehorse, Yukon
  • Brigade Name:Marauder_Pilot

Posted 19 December 2008 - 02:24 PM

Oh yeah, I'm not disputing that. But that just means that you should buy into a niche market instead of getting the mass-produced stuff.
0

#44 User is offline   xscout 

  • Texas OPFOR Team Leader
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 240
  • Joined: 23-April 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:TEXAS
  • Brigade Name:xscout

Posted 19 December 2008 - 02:46 PM

Instead of worrying about "milsim" try to focus on what works on the fields you play on.

I've never understood the need to bolt on a bunch of useless weight to a marker to make it look like an assault rifle. On many a road march I had wished my M60 or M16A2/M203 weighed less, and after an 8 or 12 hour scenario, I'm glad my custom pro has only a light JC folding stock.
Your mileage may vary.
0

#45 User is offline   Hook 

  • Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 41
  • Joined: 16-October 07

Posted 19 December 2008 - 04:16 PM

View PostMarauder_Pilot, on Dec 19 2008, 04:24 PM, said:

But that just means that you should buy into a niche market instead of getting the mass-produced stuff.


Hence why I sold my A-5 to get a Tac-One :D

Automaggot #131
0

Share this topic:


  • (4 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users