• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Whoa. Big problem? And its not even mine?! Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Pwnt 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Pwnt

Posted 02 November 2007 - 04:40 PM

I recently sold a RT-Pro, and right now the buyer is having one heck of a weird problem with it.

When I last used the mag, it was perfectly fine. It shot at 280fps, RT was crisp, and everything was fine. But now that the buyer has received it, he says that it shoots air out the back from the little hole thats on top? I dont understand how it could suddenly start leaking like that, but I assume an O-ring has become displaced or something?

The only info I have is that it shoots air out of that hole, and all I can think of is overpressurizing, or turning the FPS up too far. Am I correct? Are there any other possible causes?

#2 User is offline   P V 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 02 November 2007 - 04:46 PM

did you use air or co2 on it?
and what's he using?

i have left these forums do to unequal moderation, please feel free to email/MSN me for all communication

#3 User is offline   WardenWolf 

• Aspie Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:WardenWolf

Posted 02 November 2007 - 04:46 PM

Yes, you are correct. It's also possible he tried to Level 10 it and the ReTro valve's older regulator piston started venting (or the o-ring on it blew). I ran into that problem. Sometimes an old regulator piston will work with the Level 10, sometimes it won't. The newer ones only vent at higher pressures and always work.

Kanye: "Yo, Chile, I'm gonna let you finish shakin', but I just got to say Haiti had one of the best earthquakes of all time!"
Save a tree: wipe your ass with a hippie!

#4 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 02 November 2007 - 04:47 PM

As a person that has sold many markers. When it leaves me and I know it was refurbished by me and in working order. Then that's where it leaves.

Many people that buy a new marker do one of 2 things first. Either they fire it - or they strip it and clean it. You got a stripper and he problably screwed up the o-ring.

Of course he got it this way. Of course he never did anything. Of course the o-ring was damaged when he got it. Of course certain parts were put in backwards when he recieved it.

#5 User is offline   Liquid Plummer 

• Mag Hag
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Liquid Plummer

Posted 02 November 2007 - 04:47 PM

That's what I am thinking. A full tear-down to inspect all the o-rings wouldn't be a bad idea though.
**** magnae clunes mihi placent, nec possum de hac re mentiri ****

#6 User is offline   Pwnt 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 November 2007 - 05:27 PM

I used HPA on it. Thats the only thing a RT-Pro can take right? I haven't asked what he's using on it.

Warden: It had a LVLX on it before I sent it to him. At one point the LVL7 was on there, and then I just went back to putting on the LVLX with the silver uncut spring I believe. I've already suggested to use the red spring (which was on there when I had the LVLX on there. I have no idea why I put the silver one on). And.. regulator piston? Sorry for being retarded bit I have no idea what that is or how to fix it haha. It would just be an easy o-ring replacement though right? And its an RT-Pro. Is that the same as the ReTro? I thought there was a difference? The reg literally says "rt-pro" on it. SN#: RTP0000731 I think. If thats the case though, the LVL7 bolt should fix this right up right? Good thing I sent him both bolts.

Slinky: Yea, I need to remember to do that. The last time I aired it up was for a game at SC Village. I should have gassed it up one last time before I really sent it out. How many O-rings would have to go wrong before the valve vents out the back like that? I've never even HEARD of this happening. I was under the idea that the hole was there for the most extreme of situations gone wrong. For now, I'm just hoping I can help him fix the problem.

Plummer: Heh, I didn't even know there were that many O-rings. I thought there was like, one or two in the valve when you unscrewed the back-half. Maybe all the gun needs is another tear-down and soemhow things will just come back together correctly.

Thanks for the help guys! I'll relay a lot of this info to him to try and help him fix it. I just hope the gun doesn't really need a full rebuild. No way it screwed itself up THAT much since I last used it. I thought mags were reliable? :] :]

(JK I fully plan on buying a tac-one again someday)

#7 User is offline   WardenWolf 

• Aspie Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 November 2007 - 06:00 PM

The RT Pro valve is silver and charcoal grey, right? Like the valve on this gun?

Posted Image

If so, bingo. That's the problem. No offense, but you screwed it up before you sent it to him. You put the Level 10 back on, and put strongest spring (that requires the highest operating pressure) on it, on a valve that hasn't been upgraded to handle higher internal pressures. What you basically did was cause one of the valve's safety features to engage. Sometimes the escape valve doesn't trigger the first time you test it, but eventually it WILL trigger. The new Regulator Piston (small brass piece underneath the velocity adjuster and springs) is set to handle a higher pressure, and will not have problems with the level 10. He needs to upgrade. It's a $25 piece from www.airgundesignsusa.com. The part is called: Regulator Piston, under X-Valve / ReTro Valve parts.

Here's a link: http://store.airgun.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...p;categoryID=23

To change it, unscrew the velocity adjuster counterclockwise until it comes out. Let the springs drop out into the velocity adjuster. You will notice a brass piece in the back of the valve. Take an allen wrench, and stick it in the hole in the back and work it free. Then stick the new one in, and put it back together. Note: there is a chance of other leaks after this upgrade, if the o-rings on the valve are old. Generally speaking, it's a 2-minute fix once you have the part. If you encounter further leaks, get an X-Valve or RT parts kit and refurbish the valve.

This post has been edited by WardenWolf: 02 November 2007 - 06:17 PM

Kanye: "Yo, Chile, I'm gonna let you finish shakin', but I just got to say Haiti had one of the best earthquakes of all time!"

#8 User is offline   Pwnt 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 November 2007 - 01:48 AM

Ah. Darn. Its a blow off valve so I assume it HAS to be replaced? Thanks for the help warden! I guess I'll just tell him to deduct $25 from the $250 he is supposed to send me.. Darn. What a crappy way to lose 25 dollars...

#9 User is offline   WardenWolf 

• Aspie Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 November 2007 - 09:51 AM

It should (mine didn't) reset itself if the pressure goes down, but he needs to replace it anyway or it will happen again. My ReTro valve did this after I bought it. AGD told me to upgrade the regulator piston, and that fixed the problem. The old regulator piston, with a Level 10, will typically vent at a velocity of 280-290, depending on a variety of factors. Given that this is well within normal play range, it needs to be replaced.

This post has been edited by WardenWolf: 03 November 2007 - 09:59 AM
Reason for edit: Posting before coffee

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users