• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gun Camera System

#1 User is offline   Orpackrat 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Orpackrat

Posted 12 December 2010 - 04:29 PM

After months of toying with the idea, looking for cheaper ways to do it, I finally just got the rights parts and built it.

Posted Image

A security camera powered by a 9V. A 2.5" backup LCD screen powered on a 9volt. Screen and battery housed in a small tackle box mounted on velcro straps to my left inner arm. Video cable can be unplugged from gun for easy disconnects, just going to add some on/off switches to make turning the screen and camera on/off without having to plug in and unplug the 9 volts.

#2 User is offline   Benaiah 

• If you dont get it, youre Sofa Kingdom
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Benaiah2320

Posted 12 December 2010 - 06:36 PM

is this so that you can shoot around corners?

I wonder if this would be considered blind firing....\

either way, epic.
2 Samuel 22

#3 User is offline   Thumper113 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Ace0rz

Posted 12 December 2010 - 06:45 PM

ahhhem...

http://www.tachyoninc.com./
Special Ops Paintball Elite - Earned at Living Legends 3
Paintball Explosion
FTP inc.

#4 User is offline   Orpackrat 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 December 2010 - 07:41 PM

View PostBenaiah, on 12 December 2010 - 05:36 PM, said:

either way, epic.

What would be blind firing about it, you can "see" exactly what your shooting.

View PostThumper113, on 12 December 2010 - 05:45 PM, said:

If I understand what those are correctly, its just a camera that records what ever its pointed at. This will let me see what ever the gun is pointed at on a remote LCD screen allowing me to see around corners and objects, not record them.

#5 User is offline   Cuy'val Dar  

• 327 G.I.R. Bastogne Bulldogs
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MICHAEL J. CABOOSE

Posted 15 December 2010 - 01:04 PM

How much did this cost? I've been tossing an idea like this around for a night vision type thing...
Posted Image

Doorbells? Seriously? That's the swear filter?
. -Pirate
"Authenticity bro, everyone voids their bowels when they die."
-Guy at end of paintball movie

#6 User is offline   Orpackrat 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 December 2010 - 06:20 PM

View PostCuy'val Dar, on 15 December 2010 - 12:04 PM, said:

How much did this cost? I've been tossing an idea like this around for a night vision type thing...

$55

#7 User is offline   Benaiah 

• If you dont get it, youre Sofa Kingdom
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Benaiah2320

Posted 16 December 2010 - 04:13 AM

View PostOrpackrat, on 12 December 2010 - 09:41 PM, said:

View PostBenaiah, on 12 December 2010 - 05:36 PM, said:

either way, epic.

What would be blind firing about it, you can "see" exactly what your shooting.

Yea but most fields also have rules about looking through a small crack with your gun around the side or looking out of one side of the bunker and shooting out of the other. The rule ive come to see the most is that your head must be behind the gun.

Im not saying youre trying to cheat, i think its awesome and i say go for it! just playing devils advocate
2 Samuel 22

#8 User is offline   Legato 

• AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator

Posted 16 December 2010 - 04:39 AM

View PostBenaiah, on 16 December 2010 - 06:13 AM, said:

Yea but most fields also have rules about looking through a small crack with your gun around the side or looking out of one side of the bunker and shooting out of the other. The rule ive come to see the most is that your head must be behind the gun.

Im not saying youre trying to cheat, i think its awesome and i say go for it! just playing devils advocate

Exactly. Yeah you think you are seeing what the marker does...but what if you aren't? What if the camera shifts, or you have a blind spot. Or the sun is in the background and all you see is light. Insurance companies won't stand behind a field that allows this, hence why fields don't allow blindfiring at all, it is all about insurance rates for hte field. Fields have to pay up the wazoo for insurance as is...if they get caught doing something dumb or someone gets hurt, that could cripple the field financially. Most fields are struggling to survive right now, they can't afford more fees.

You can try to use it at your field, but i don't think they'd allow you to use it. It is basically still blindfiring. They want your head glued to the sights and back of your marker when firing, not anything else.

"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

#9 User is offline   Orpackrat 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 December 2010 - 06:04 AM

View PostLegato, on 16 December 2010 - 03:39 AM, said:

Exactly. Yeah you think you are seeing what the marker does...but what if you aren't? What if the camera shifts, or you have a blind spot. Or the sun is in the background and all you see is light. Insurance companies won't stand behind a field that allows this, hence why fields don't allow blindfiring at all, it is all about insurance rates for hte field. Fields have to pay up the wazoo for insurance as is...if they get caught doing something dumb or someone gets hurt, that could cripple the field financially. Most fields are struggling to survive right now, they can't afford more fees.

You can try to use it at your field, but i don't think they'd allow you to use it. It is basically still blindfiring. They want your head glued to the sights and back of your marker when firing, not anything else.
[/color]

The way I have the camera mounted, I will know if it shifts, the lower part of the screen shows the barrel coming, your looking down the end of the barrel.

If the sun is in the background, the camera dims the image, it would look like looking into a flashlight, if that happens, your not seeing and therefore not going to be shooting.

It was not built to see though cracks in walls to shoot, IMO, focusing on looking though a hole or crack, even with a gun camera, severely limits your field of vision and tunnel vision is very easy, its not what you want. Using in regular play is not going to work really unless your ambushing and then it could possibly give you an advantage. Other than that, are you really going to essentially stop to look at a little screen, fight the glare on the screen, and try and pick up distant movement on a camera designed for close range objects, you would turn into a nice target.

It was built with a single purpose in mind, CQB, playing in multi-room structures, enclosed on most sides, little sun glare, narrow passages, slowed game play, and such to where the camera's narrow vision and short range is not at too much of a disadvantage. To simply see them while clearing a structure without exposing yourself as a target, everything else would not be practical in a game.

I hear what your saying though. If its not allowed at my field or any other, no big deal, it was fun to build, I can always mod it and toss it on the back of my truck as a backup camera :D .

This is something you would not want everyone on the field to have as even with the limited vision you do have with it, there would be someone, somewhere, trying to use it as it was not intended.

View PostBenaiah, on 16 December 2010 - 03:13 AM, said:

Yea but most fields also have rules about looking through a small crack with your gun around the side or looking out of one side of the bunker and shooting out of the other. The rule I've come to see the most is that your head must be behind the gun.

I'm not saying your trying to cheat, i think its awesome and i say go for it! just playing devils advocate

While somewhat related, its really not, looking through a crack and shooting though another is still blind firing as your not really seeing what your shooting, sure you have a general idea but your not looking down the end of your own barrel.

Same with looking out one side and shooting out the other, you are still not seeing down the end of your barrel with a clear view when you are pulling the trigger.

As described above, this does let you see down the end of your barrel so its unlike the 2 instances you said but camera limitations and it simply not being designed for that would make it impracticable to do so.

This post has been edited by Orpackrat: 16 December 2010 - 06:12 AM

#10 User is offline   MovesLikeaShadow 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:MovesLikeaShadow

Posted 25 December 2010 - 09:39 PM

I am interested in building something similiar to this with night vision in mind.
I am hoping a night time cctv camera sensitive to low light would adapt to your LCD setup.
Could you possibly post up a list of exact items and where you got them ?
I would be greatly appreciative.
We are shadows; everywhere yet nowhere to be seen.
As we strike with the force of nature's maelstrom, the wrath we have wrought upon the face of our enemies is witnessed as we fade away into the veil of shadow once more.

#11 User is offline   Orpackrat 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 December 2010 - 11:09 PM

View PostMovesLikeaShadow, on 25 December 2010 - 08:39 PM, said:

I am interested in building something similiar to this with night vision in mind.
I am hoping a night time cctv camera sensitive to low light would adapt to your LCD setup.

Cheap Wired Surveillance Camera and 2.5" Backup Camera LCD cheap on Ebay, that's it.

#12 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 26 December 2010 - 01:45 AM

View PostMovesLikeaShadow, on 25 December 2010 - 09:39 PM, said:

Big problem with this would be the LCD giving you away :P

#13 User is offline   MovesLikeaShadow 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 26 December 2010 - 09:50 AM

Not if its done right. ;)

This post has been edited by MovesLikeaShadow: 26 December 2010 - 09:52 AM

As we strike with the force of nature's maelstrom, the wrath we have wrought upon the face of our enemies is witnessed as we fade away into the veil of shadow once more.

#14 User is offline   Orpackrat 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 December 2010 - 03:46 PM

Here you go, the solution to the whole LCD giving you away:

My link

#15 User is offline   MovesLikeaShadow 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 26 December 2010 - 07:10 PM

View PostOrpackrat, on 26 December 2010 - 05:46 PM, said:

Here you go, the solution to the whole LCD giving you away:

My link

OMG !!! that is so frakin hilarious !!!

My side is about to split !!!

Wow.... hahaha

To make the pot even sweeter, lets throw in a snuggie and call it a ghillie suit!!

This post has been edited by MovesLikeaShadow: 26 December 2010 - 07:13 PM

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users