Special Ops Paintball: The SO Literature Discussion Thread - Special Ops Paintball

Jump to content


  • (5 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The SO Literature Discussion Thread come and discuss your favorite books and literature Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   STAZ211 

  • Do it........i dare you
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 737
  • Joined: 14-August 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NJ
  • Brigade Name:STAZ211

Posted 25 March 2008 - 08:04 PM

So after the pole it seemed like the SO Literature Discussion Thread was generaly a good idea, so here it is. feel free to talk about and discuss your favorite book or piece of literature. keep it clean, dont bash other peoples stuff, and have fun.

I guess to get the ball rollen ill ask if anyone has read the Belgariad/Malloreon series? its a great series and i highly recomend it.

and for those of you who like more "classic" literature, what are your takes on the Odyssy? i personaly liked what i read from it (i didnt get to read the whole thing, just a shortened version).
"Let he who desires peace prepare for war..."

"Home of the free, because of the brave..."
0

#2 User is offline   Pandemonium 

  • Group: Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,077
  • Joined: 25-February 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Brigade Name:Pandemonium

Posted 25 March 2008 - 08:09 PM

ah, the odyssey, great book. just read it.

what do you guys think is significant about the relationship between odysseus and the harpers in the odyssey?
0

#3 User is offline   RedAE 

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 72
  • Joined: 24-February 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:MA
  • Brigade Name:RedAE

Posted 25 March 2008 - 08:24 PM

Anyone feel like writing a three page paper on The Death of a Salesman? Anyone? Anyone?

Basically I'd have to say I wasn't very impressed with this play, the great writer's of tragedy passed long, long ago and Arthur Miller comes along and breaks the trend by placing the common man as the one who falls to the forces opposing him, AKA life. I mean it's an interesting piece and I'm sure it has a lot significance but there's a lot of other interesting things I could be writing about, like maybe one of the older tragedies from Sophocles, Aeschylus or Euripides...

Back to writing my essay I suppose.
Oh, my God, Mr. President, the Alien Overlords crashed a family reunion somewhere in Southwest Louisiana. Early reports indicate that the Conquerers of 10,000 Worlds made, and I quote: ‘A damn fine jambalaya.’ Unquote.
0

#4 User is offline   Sgt_Doofy 

  • That one guy
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 284
  • Joined: 20-November 05
  • Location:Hicksville CA (Mckinleyville)
  • Brigade Name:Sgt_Doofy

Posted 26 March 2008 - 01:04 AM

View PostRedAE, on Mar 25 2008, 08:24 PM, said:

Anyone feel like writing a three page paper on The Death of a Salesman? Anyone? Anyone?

Basically I'd have to say I wasn't very impressed with this play, the great writer's of tragedy passed long, long ago and Arthur Miller comes along and breaks the trend by placing the common man as the one who falls to the forces opposing him, AKA life. I mean it's an interesting piece and I'm sure it has a lot significance but there's a lot of other interesting things I could be writing about, like maybe one of the older tragedies from Sophocles, Aeschylus or Euripides...

Back to writing my essay I suppose.


Well, I'd love to talk about Oedipus, honestly, but could you get warned for it? I mean...the plotline and all...

Oh! Who do you think the tragic hero of Antigone was?

As for DoaS, it was the entrance of tragedy to realism. If that's not your cupatea, than that's fine. It's not mine either. I prefer having the tragic hero fall from grace, kinda like the prepy girls in horror movies. That's a modern day tragic hero...sadly....

This post has been edited by Sgt_Doofy: 26 March 2008 - 01:05 AM

0

#5 User is offline   aqua_scummm 

  • one half of the wonder that is legaqua
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4,650
  • Joined: 14-April 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:left coast
  • Brigade Name:aqua_scummm

Posted 26 March 2008 - 01:52 AM

Anyone ever read the master and margarita? Probably my favorite book of all time, religion, russian socio-economic status, slapstick... there's so many different levels you can read the book on.
0

#6 User is offline   Legato 

  • AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Posts: 8,771
  • Joined: 02-February 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Milford, Massachusetts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 02:04 AM

View PostSTAZ211, on Mar 25 2008, 11:04 PM, said:

So after the pole it seemed like the SO Literature Discussion Thread was generaly a good idea, so here it is. feel free to talk about and discuss your favorite book or piece of literature. keep it clean, dont bash other peoples stuff, and have fun.

I guess to get the ball rollen ill ask if anyone has read the Belgariad/Malloreon series? its a great series and i highly recomend it.

and for those of you who like more "classic" literature, what are your takes on the Odyssy? i personaly liked what i read from it (i didnt get to read the whole thing, just a shortened version).

If you are referring to David Eddings series, then i only read the Guardians series, his first one. The Malloreon i wanted to read, and the Belgraid, but never got around to it. Read them when i much younger, like at least 10 years ago.

I loved the Odyssey. I used to only read Greek mythology when i was younger, my favoirite thing to read at the time. I was all about anything i could read relating to it. I need to get back into that, speaking of which.

right now the only books i read really are mangas or the occasional book by Bruce Campbell.

"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT
0

#7 User is offline   ike123 

  • Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 349
  • Joined: 23-May 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Nutty Northside, CA
  • Brigade Name:ike

Posted 26 March 2008 - 02:22 AM

View PostSTAZ211, on Mar 25 2008, 08:04 PM, said:

So after the pole it seemed like the SO Literature Discussion Thread was generaly a good idea, so here it is. feel free to talk about and discuss your favorite book or piece of literature. keep it clean, dont bash other peoples stuff, and have fun.

I guess to get the ball rollen ill ask if anyone has read the Belgariad/Malloreon series? its a great series and i highly recomend it.

and for those of you who like more "classic" literature, what are your takes on the Odyssy? i personaly liked what i read from it (i didnt get to read the whole thing, just a shortened version).


I've read them both. Highly recommend that people read the Belgariad first.

Also, I read Belgarath the Sorcerer and Polgara the Sorceress. Very good books.
Paintball isn't my hobby, it's my lifestyle. Go hard or go home.
0

#8 User is offline   STAZ211 

  • Do it........i dare you
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 737
  • Joined: 14-August 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NJ
  • Brigade Name:STAZ211

Posted 26 March 2008 - 03:32 AM

View Postike123, on Mar 26 2008, 05:22 AM, said:

View PostSTAZ211, on Mar 25 2008, 08:04 PM, said:

So after the pole it seemed like the SO Literature Discussion Thread was generaly a good idea, so here it is. feel free to talk about and discuss your favorite book or piece of literature. keep it clean, dont bash other peoples stuff, and have fun.

I guess to get the ball rollen ill ask if anyone has read the Belgariad/Malloreon series? its a great series and i highly recomend it.

and for those of you who like more "classic" literature, what are your takes on the Odyssy? i personaly liked what i read from it (i didnt get to read the whole thing, just a shortened version).


I've read them both. Highly recommend that people read the Belgariad first.

Also, I read Belgarath the Sorcerer and Polgara the Sorceress. Very good books.


you have to read the Belgariad first, its the first part of the series. otherwise you would have no clue whats goin on. lol. i want to read teh Polgara the Sorceress book and Belgarath the Sourcerer, they look good. what exactly do they do in those books? just explain them better?

and to the post higher up yes im talking about the David Eddings books.
"Let he who desires peace prepare for war..."

"Home of the free, because of the brave..."
0

#9 User is offline   black hawk down 

  • Group: Banned #17
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 122
  • Joined: 27-March 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:conecticut
  • Brigade Name:TIPPMANN SNIPER YAY

Posted 26 March 2008 - 04:17 AM

how advacnced are these books(could i read it im 13)?

Group: Banned #17
0

#10 User is offline   Digital Pirate 

  • Commonwealth Expeditionary Force
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 1,354
  • Joined: 30-April 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
  • Brigade Name:DigitalPirate

Posted 26 March 2008 - 08:15 AM

You could read any book when you're 13 BHD. :laugh:
0

#11 User is offline   LoD 

  • Lord of Death
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 230
  • Joined: 28-March 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ephraim, UT
  • Brigade Name:LoD

Posted 26 March 2008 - 08:36 AM

Anyone here ever read Shade's Children, or perhaps the Abhorsen Trilogy (Sabriel, Lirael, The Abhorsen)? Fantastic fiction/fantasy books. I highly recommend them. Anything by Garth Nix is great.

My Feedback Thread
"I look at it as an opportunity to bloody up the hammer some more. Especially now since I replaced the leather wrap and it needs to be worked in." - Puzuma
0

#12 User is offline   ike123 

  • Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 349
  • Joined: 23-May 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Nutty Northside, CA
  • Brigade Name:ike

Posted 26 March 2008 - 08:38 AM

View PostSTAZ211, on Mar 26 2008, 03:32 AM, said:

View Postike123, on Mar 26 2008, 05:22 AM, said:

View PostSTAZ211, on Mar 25 2008, 08:04 PM, said:

So after the pole it seemed like the SO Literature Discussion Thread was generaly a good idea, so here it is. feel free to talk about and discuss your favorite book or piece of literature. keep it clean, dont bash other peoples stuff, and have fun.

I guess to get the ball rollen ill ask if anyone has read the Belgariad/Malloreon series? its a great series and i highly recomend it.

and for those of you who like more "classic" literature, what are your takes on the Odyssy? i personaly liked what i read from it (i didnt get to read the whole thing, just a shortened version).


I've read them both. Highly recommend that people read the Belgariad first.

Also, I read Belgarath the Sorcerer and Polgara the Sorceress. Very good books.


you have to read the Belgariad first, its the first part of the series. otherwise you would have no clue whats goin on. lol. i want to read teh Polgara the Sorceress book and Belgarath the Sourcerer, they look good. what exactly do they do in those books? just explain them better?

and to the post higher up yes im talking about the David Eddings books.


They just go through the their lives. How they came to be so great. Interesting little quirks we didn't know before.
Paintball isn't my hobby, it's my lifestyle. Go hard or go home.
0

#13 User is offline   Veritech Squad 

  • Come at me bro.
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 915
  • Joined: 07-December 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Everywhere And Nowhere. Also; Tucson, AZ.

Posted 26 March 2008 - 08:38 AM

Anyone ever read The Very Hungry Caterpillar?

It's probably the best book I ever read, followed closely by The Little Engine That Could.
Wretched is the sound of my voice.

IN MY DROPSHIP ZIGZAGS STAY LIT
0

#14 User is offline   Frontier_Bill 

  • Every day is a Saturday!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,008
  • Joined: 31-January 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Bumble(expletive deleted), Egypt
  • Brigade Name:Frontier Bill

Posted 26 March 2008 - 08:41 AM

At 13, there will still be a few that you wont fully grasp. Without some life experience, the meaning of some pieces will slip past you.

My favorite novel is "Stranger in a Strange Land" by Robert A. Heinlein. I know, its sci-fi, but is is also very religious and philosophical.

When I first tried reading it, I was 13. Many things in the book didn't mean much to me. But, when I read it again at age 19 with life experience to reflect upon, the book meant a LOT more to me since I had undergone some of my own spiritual journies.

And the Odyssey... I loved it. Great story with lots of meaning behind it. It can teach you a lot about your own life and how maybe you should reconsider your actions. It also teaches much about the Greeks' values and morals. Epic mythology is a great way to gain insight on an ancient culture while reflecting on your own.

Team Rogue Cell #10 Founder and Alpha squad leader.

Danger: Reading online forums may cause irreparable damage to your faith in Humanity.
0

#15 User is online   The Stuntman 

  • I feel like I'm taking Crazy Pills!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Posts: 2,718
  • Joined: 06-September 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Santa Cruz CA
  • Brigade Name:The Stuntman

Posted 26 March 2008 - 08:51 AM

One of my favorite books is Joseph Conrad's "Heart of Darkness". Anyone else a fan of this one?


Also - Am I the only one who thinks that Hemingway is VASTLY over-rated? Everytime I open one of his books, I get sprayed in the face with hubris & ego....like if Karl Marx wrote novels instead of bad philosophy. Pretentious & heavy-handed.... :eck:
0

Share this topic:


  • (5 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users