• You cannot reply to this topic

Paintball deaths common reasons and prevention

#46 User is offline   Knightwolf16 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Knightwolf16

Posted 19 December 2007 - 04:29 PM

I've heard of it with hockey pcus but we are talking a big difference in the amount of force. Paintballs weigh slightly over 2 grams. Those other items weight significantly more and although their speeds are not as fast, but hit with substantially more force.

I kids in Manchester NH died a couple of years ago on the ice because if you hit the chest with enough force between heart beats, it can stop the heart. Good excuse to have a defibulator handy along with someone that knows how to use it.
"Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war." William Shakespeare
Nous sommes les seigneurs de la guerre, tremblons avant nous
The Lords of War The Lords of War on MySpace The Lords of War MSN Group Page

#47 User is offline   Helmi_17 

• You know the music...
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Helmi_17

Posted 19 December 2007 - 04:46 PM

hmm. but is it possible for something with the mass of a paintball to actually physically impact the heart to the point that it would stop?
...Time to dance!

#48 User is offline   TREE FITTY 

• Time to get to business...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:TIPPMANN6791

Posted 19 December 2007 - 06:33 PM

Still calling bull on it until I see some evidence, no offense of course. Just hard to believe. I know about the in-between cycle things, I just am wondering about the force of a paintball. Now that I think about it, anyone ever see that pressure-point death touch martial art move? The guy pokes someone in a couple pressure points and their heart stops, gotta hit 'em again on the back somewhere to "revive" em. Wonder if you can compare the two.

did I die for a second there?...

#49 User is offline   Knightwolf16 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Knightwolf16

Posted 19 December 2007 - 07:44 PM

I completely agree with Tree Fifty... I just think that paintballs lack the force to do it. Yes they leave bruises but I've played hockey and a hockey puck moving at a third the speed of a paintball does a lot more damage. That's from experience.
"Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war." William Shakespeare
Nous sommes les seigneurs de la guerre, tremblons avant nous
The Lords of War The Lords of War on MySpace The Lords of War MSN Group Page

#50 User is offline   Sniper Hunter19 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 December 2007 - 07:57 PM

yea paintballs arent solid and simply break and doesnt have the mass to do serious damage just minor bruising

#51 User is offline   thebostinian 

• SOFA Favorite Member Title 2009
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:thebostinian

Posted 19 December 2007 - 10:01 PM

View PostKnightwolf16, on Dec 19 2007, 09:44 PM, said:

I completely agree with Tree Fifty... I just think that paintballs lack the force to do it. Yes they leave bruises but I've played hockey and a hockey puck moving at a third the speed of a paintball does a lot more damage. That's from experience.

deaths like this are actually really common (common being you hear about someone dying from getting hit in the the chest once or twice a year) in lacrosse...but again, the mass of a lacrosse ball is much greater than that of a paintball. and also, it'd more likely from internal injuries than hitting at the "right moment".

"Yeah, but a thread that started out as borderline weird and creepy to begin with has now taken a left turn into 'Deliverance." - Violator
Don't try to pronounce the second "o". Instead, try realize the truth: there is no second "o"

#52 User is offline   six one alpha 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:six one alpha

Posted 20 December 2007 - 01:03 AM

View Postranger111133, on Dec 17 2007, 06:27 PM, said:

yea the pepper ball thing is stupid lol i'v seen them and the cops r buying a5's and selling them to other cops and stations as "pepper ball guns" and they shoot balls full of pepper spray.

anyway! back to deaths lol my dad works at a hospital and was talking to a paramedic about paintball and the paramedic told him that they had seen 2 deaths due to paintball and it was because of this. if a object going fast (football, baseball, PAINTBALL, ect.) hits u where ur heart is at a certain moment in operation of pumping blood, ur heart will stop. so yes there have probably been way more than 2 deaths due to paintball but they didn't classify them as paintball deaths because a baseball could have done the same thing.

Paramedic myself. it's called "Commotio cordis" and it takes a fair bit of force. A lot of force...more than 3.2 grams moving at 270FPS. I've seen it PERSONNALLY. Treated a cardiac arrest patient at a hockey game-young male player who had been hit into the boards.

This post has been edited by six one alpha: 20 December 2007 - 01:12 AM

61A-EYES AND EARS
Can one mind make a difference? EVERY difference is made...ONE MIND AT A TIME!

#53 User is offline   Sniper Hunter19 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 31 December 2007 - 09:30 AM

umm ow

#54 User is offline   CdnNinja 

• The enemy cannot push a button, if you disable his hand.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 December 2007 - 11:15 PM

There is a kid I know who goes to the same school as me. You might have heard, they where slinging around frozen paintballs with a slingshot without eye protection and the one kid hit him in the eye from like point blank and his eye sight is really bad and going downhill over time. Another was a story a firefighter told my dad where someone he knew was playing and as he was running and he wasn't paying attention and fell of a small cliff and landed on a chain link fence and was hurt pretty bad.
Posted Image

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users