paint question Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   whsoccerjc21 

• a hungry wolf
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:whsoccerjc21

Posted 01 March 2010 - 08:16 PM

Ok i need some quick advice
I've never come across this situation but at the end of last season I bought too much paint around 750 balls and they've been sitting in my closet since then. So are they still good to go? Should I not use them in a real game but are fine to use just fooling around. Or should I get rid of them/ sell them :(

#2 User is offline   5N1P3R 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2010 - 08:18 PM

Use them for shooting in backyard and screwing around. Unless you rolled the balls and maintained them over the time period, they probably are pretty dimpled. You won't be able to sell them, unless you lie to people.

#3 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:22 PM

Well... That kind of depends on what brand of paint it is. If it's Monster Balls... I'm pretty sure those can survive a nuclear blast. Mind you they aren't really usable to begin with.

Take out some random samples, 15-20 balls, and check them out; look for flat spots, dimples and being out of round. Do a bounce test on them too.

If they look good over all, then use them in a game. Just don't expect them to perform like fresh paint would.

If they look so-so, then back yard target shooting/messing around is about it for them.

If they are REALLY bad.... save them for Halloween and hand them out as gumballs, use them for art projects (A friend of mine glued old paint together to make a trophy) or take 'em out side and stomp on them.
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#4 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:30 PM

http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index...howtopic=180534

Asked same thing not too long ago xD

#5 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:I.K.E.

Posted 02 March 2010 - 10:43 AM

HAHAHAHA......We just pitched a couple of old bags....they were also crushed and so some of them broke.......I suggest not putting balls in your hopper that are covered in paint.......it makes a mess of your marker.... >.< Doh!
"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123
"Overkill is underrated." -Col. John "Hannibal" Smith
Posted Image ... another Staff granted wish.

#6 User is offline   stinkfingr 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 March 2010 - 03:15 PM

i used to carry around 2 pods of old paint i would use to chrono with

unless you're in a tourney and you chrono right before you enter the field, then you can do that... if you're in a tourney, just throw a dozen or so in the bottom of your hopper before hitting the chrono area ... this leaves your good paint for shooting

i also would use old paint for doing setups on my markers ... if i was playing around with a different setting on regs, or mods, or dwells, whatever .. i wouldn't waste the good stuff testing out my changes.

#7 User is offline   LoneWolf99 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 March 2010 - 03:47 AM

That's a problem if you're chrono'ing with paint other than that you're shooting on the field - since unless they size the same, you're shooting at a different velocity, which could put you over the field limit, depending on what you chrono'ed at the first time.

Properly stored, paint can last a while. I would only really be concerned with using regular paint in cold temps - that could be a problem. Some of my teammates have successfully used paint that was a couple of years old (still in the box), so you can do it.

#8 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 03 March 2010 - 09:33 AM

View PostLoneWolf99, on Mar 3 2010, 03:47 AM, said:

That's a problem if you're chrono'ing with paint other than that you're shooting on the field - since unless they size the same, you're shooting at a different velocity, which could put you over the field limit, depending on what you chrono'ed at the first time.

Properly stored, paint can last a while. I would only really be concerned with using regular paint in cold temps - that could be a problem. Some of my teammates have successfully used paint that was a couple of years old (still in the box), so you can do it.

I opened up that pod in my closet to modify it with shelving foam (quiet it a bit when sprinting) and noticed some paint had leaked in it :) so I looked about 3 of 10 were dimpled so I just dumped them...I'd imagine my unsealed bag is a waste too but hopefully I can use my sealed 1.5 cases xD

Though people say the Flatline is picky on paint so perhaps I should not use those in it..? :) We shall see though I'd prefer not to get a barrel break before scenario I'll probably get there fairly early anyways and could wash it out :)

#9 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 March 2010 - 01:50 PM

I had about 3500 rounds of paint from a random field we went to a few years ago, can't remember the brand of paint off hand. They were leftovers from a big outing we had, so no cost to me. I couldn't use it at my home field, they're FPO, so over that time I've used all but maybe 800 rounds just in the basement/backyard doing target practice & setup on markers (mine & friends). Up until this last summer none of them had any dimples & they were still passing the bounce test. I kept them stored in the basement where it stays pretty cool & dry. I'd also take the bags out of the case & roll them around to try to limit settling maybe once a month. They're quality has taken a nose dive in the last 6 months w/ a lot of dimples - they'll still be fine for what I do w/ them.

The moral of the story is... well, I don't know. But I guess you could say: it just depends on the paint, how you store it & whether or not you take care of it. Fresh paint is always better but if your paint is still in good shape & you play at a field that will allow it, then go ahead & use it.
ger
You bought the brand, not my allegiance.

#10 User is offline   82ndx 

• Facta Non Verba
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:82ndx

Posted 04 March 2010 - 01:53 PM

I have a story similar to ger, I have had a box of paint in my parents basement for a couple years, dipping into it a couple times, it seems fine and I have never had a problem with it. But then again it is a below ground basement, and it is pretty cool down there with little humidity. So to echo the others, test a couple handfuls if it looks good and see how she fires.

I do however like the Halloween gumball idea.

#11 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 March 2010 - 01:57 PM

View Post82ndx, on Mar 4 2010, 03:53 PM, said:

I do however like the Halloween gumball idea.

Yea, that made me chuckle.
ger

#12 User is offline   82ndx 

• Facta Non Verba
  • PipPip

Posted 04 March 2010 - 02:11 PM

And it is technically in the rules of Halloween. The kinds literally ask for a trick before a treat.

EDIT:And by kinds I did mean kids...

This post has been edited by 82ndx: 04 March 2010 - 02:12 PM

#13 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 March 2010 - 02:21 PM

I think technically it's "Trick or Treat" meaning give them a treat or they'll play a trick on you. Giving them a paintball is just being proactive :).

Of course, maybe the rules are different north of the border.
ger

#14 User is offline   ike123 

• Cha togar m' fhearg gun dýoladh
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:ike

Posted 04 March 2010 - 02:33 PM

i have about 3500 balls sitting in my garage just waiting for the ground to dry enough so i can go drill in the Orchard with em. That's what I use old balls for.
Paintball isn't my hobby, it's my lifestyle. Go hard or go home.

#15 User is offline   82ndx 

• Facta Non Verba
  • PipPip

Posted 04 March 2010 - 02:41 PM

View Postger, on Mar 4 2010, 01:21 PM, said:

I think technically it's "Trick or Treat" meaning give them a treat or they'll play a trick on you. Giving them a paintball is just being proactive :D.

Of course, maybe the rules are different north of the border.

No I think the same rules apply and now that you say it the or clause does ring a bell. I do however see it only fair to be able to trick the ones who are asking for candy.

They are welcome to attempt a retaliation of course.

This post has been edited by 82ndx: 04 March 2010 - 02:42 PM

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users