• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Common Medical Problems Outlines I wrote

#1 User is offline   SpudCrushr 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 January 2008 - 01:31 PM

If you see any errors, let me know. I will add more once I finish them.

I wrote them up partly for search and rescue classes and partly just for informational purposes.

I am a certified EMT-B as of 2007, and a CAP HMRS Field Medic as of 2005.

I did my best to ensure all information in these outlines is as accurate and up to date as possible…but every once in a while new procedures and protocols are created. I wrote these as a basic guideline, but if you want to really know the subjects mentioned here, research them yourself. That’s the best way to learn. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I am not responsible for any injury, death, or anything else that may occur as a result of you reading these documents.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by SpudCrushr: 07 January 2008 - 12:08 AM

Posted Image

#2 User is offline   trevor 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:revortay

Posted 03 January 2008 - 06:35 PM

Hey a few things you left out...

Heat exaustion= Headache, muscle cramps and weakness. If possible stir a pinch of salt into the water befor the patent drinks it.

Hypothermia= 1. Take the victim into the shelter of a building or a tent and get him into warm, dry clothes. 2. Zip him in a dry sleeping bag. 3. Offer an alert victim warm or hot liquids (cocoa, soup, fruit juices). 4. Give him/her water bottles filled with warm fluid to hold in the armpit and groin areas. 5. If hypothermia is advanced, helping the victim breathe warm, moist air will aid in rewarming. 6. Be ready to apply outher first aid if needed.

You may have some of that, sorry lol.

Tippman owners group #35

#3 User is offline   SpudCrushr 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2008 - 08:06 AM

Thanks! Do you have any medical training or do you just know a lot about first aid?

One thing, rewarming patients can be dangerous. If they warm up too fast it can send the body into shock. As the body parts warm it can increase circulation and rush colder blood into the heart.

That goes with giving them hot or warm drinks. Mainly you just want to prevent further heat loss.
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   SubMiler 

• Pistolero
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:44 AM

View Posttrevor, on Jan 3 2008, 07:35 PM, said:

Heat exaustion= Headache, muscle cramps and weakness. If possible stir a pinch of salt into the water befor the patent drinks it.

Adding salt is a no-no. Too much can lead towards a hypernatremic dehydration where your body is short of water but high in sodium. Plus most people tend to vomit salt water.

Your best bet would be cool water or cool gatorade.

And for hypothermia, it's a mixed bag depending on their condition, but giving them warm foods or water can place them into shock and kill them.

#5 User is offline   UWANNAGO 

• Im kind of a big deal, people know me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Brigade Name:UWANNAGO

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:53 AM

You dont want to warm them fast with hypothermia but do want to warm them up...

You should give them a blanket but dont like submerge in hot/warm water if that makes sense...

Salt tabs are good but salt water can be dangerous...like sub said gatorade or fruit juice is good to give to people with heat exastuion/stroke. It has the minerals and vitamins you loose when you work out.

Also I dont know if you mentioned this I was just reading relpys but if you didnt already you should go into the 3 stages of heat exaustion.

Peace,
Teddy K

#6 User is offline   HM3 

• doc
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:doc campbell

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:58 AM

one thing you can add to treating heat injuries is rubbing the larger muscles in the body (the thigh or buttox) with ice if avaliable. this will quickly lower someones temperature though so be carefull.
HM3 campbell.
(combat medic U.S. nvay)
Put This In Your Sig if You Work Long And Hard For Your Paintball Money
u.s. navy corpsman
1/8 bravo company. the Beirut Battalion

#7 User is offline   SpudCrushr 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:49 AM

View PostHM3, on Jan 4 2008, 12:58 PM, said:

one thing you can add to treating heat injuries is rubbing the larger muscles in the body (the thigh or buttox) with ice if avaliable. this will quickly lower someones temperature though so be carefull.
HM3 campbell.
(combat medic U.S. nvay)

Good idea, only thing is, that could get us into some trouble. The people I teach these medical classes to are mostly under 18.. I don't want a sexual harassment case pointing back to me. Generally if I need to cool someone off fast, they will get wrapped ice under the armpits, on their neck, etc.

I'll remember that though.. One guy that taught us a medical class was a medic in the military. He said if someone was unconscious and needed CPR or something, they would safety pin their tongue to their lip to keep the airway open. I though that was kinda crazy, but a good last resort type of thing.

When were you in the navy? I know a guy that was/is the second in command on the USS Comfort. He runs the medical station at our SAR school and teaches us less experienced medics.

This post has been edited by SpudCrushr: 04 January 2008 - 11:53 AM

Posted Image

#8 User is offline   trevor 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2008 - 03:16 PM

No medical training but i am a boyscout and have first aid and lifesaving marit badge also for the Hypothermia no rubbing cold body parts this can permanantly damage the skin lol i also know how to make a trakeatamy with a bic pen :D Also adding the salt... note i said ~pinch~ of salt not much at all but the salt will help the body retain water better if im not mistaken

Tippman owners group #35

#9 User is offline   SpudCrushr 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2008 - 03:25 PM

Ah, I see. You should join CAP.. I like it much more than the scouts. Mainly because my local scouts place said I couldn't wear camo... And the kids there acted like bafoons. I was not impressed at all. The one kid was working on his eagle, yet while we were trying to talk to his dad, the kid was pulling another kid around the room on a sheet of cardboard. We could hardly hear our selves think, that's how loud they were.

I wish there was a good scout place around here. I wanted to get to eagle. Too late now though...

Oh, and with the trake tube, best leave that sort of thing to the paramedics. lol
Posted Image

#10 User is offline   trevor 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 January 2008 - 10:02 AM

Lol i know dont worry i wouldent even attempt untill i was sure it was the only way to save them and there was absolutly no way to get medical assistance... And scouts, Our scouts are on the sumwhat calm side that is when they are at meetings but evan after the only kids that usualy stay are the ones that cant drive yet and most of them are muture and if they arnt they are learning by getting yelled at by the muture ones. Also I am sticking to regular scouts untill i earn eagle then i will join sea scouts, for older scouts only, my main reason for doing this stuff is first of all "Eagle scout" looks really good on a resumae and also my top priority is to become a Navy SEAL so this will defanatly help. Lol our scout leaders wear camo all the times well some do and the kids do to.

Tippman owners group #35

#11 User is offline   knitemare 

• Baller for Christ, the real sin savior
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:knitemare

Posted 05 January 2008 - 02:44 PM

in extreme cases its best to get tehm as warm as possible then treat for shock, or if in extreme heat stroke cool them down immediately and rteat for shock

you can prevent the heat exhaustion/stroke problems by drinking tons of water, and dont be ashamed of going to the bathroom a lot, its the guys who never go that are going to pass out half way through the afternoon
I am a Christian Baller
ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK!!!!

Addicted To Facebook Member #1

#12 User is offline   SpudCrushr 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 January 2008 - 05:26 PM

View Posttrevor, on Jan 5 2008, 12:02 PM, said:

Lol i know dont worry i wouldent even attempt untill i was sure it was the only way to save them and there was absolutly no way to get medical assistance... And scouts, Our scouts are on the sumwhat calm side that is when they are at meetings but evan after the only kids that usualy stay are the ones that cant drive yet and most of them are muture and if they arnt they are learning by getting yelled at by the muture ones. Also I am sticking to regular scouts untill i earn eagle then i will join sea scouts, for older scouts only, my main reason for doing this stuff is first of all "Eagle scout" looks really good on a resumae and also my top priority is to become a Navy SEAL so this will defanatly help. Lol our scout leaders wear camo all the times well some do and the kids do to.

A seal eh.. Wow... How many push-ups and chin-ups can you do in a row?

They said I can wear camo because it makes them look like the military, and they are not. Your place sounds great though.
Posted Image

#13 User is offline   Sniper Hunter19 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 January 2008 - 06:59 PM

usually having someone hug the patient until he/she is warm is better because it uses natural body heat and warms the patient slowly to natural internal heat. wrapping them up too much can also be a problem they need to be able to let their bodys breath and not make them sweat.

Yes i agree about the scouts i was in the scouts and it was pretty fun but there was such a lack of maturity that i couldnt take it and my thoughts came to life when they were caught using lots of profanity on there gameboy ds chat things. people say u learn how to really make smart decisions in scouts and i think i learned more from other scouts mistakes than my own

Also being a seal i think has more to do with attitude than physical limits. being strong is important but not as important as a good brain and good attitude

This post has been edited by Sniper Hunter19: 05 January 2008 - 07:05 PM

#14 User is offline   trevor 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 January 2008 - 07:43 AM

View PostSpudCrushr, on Jan 5 2008, 07:26 PM, said:

View Posttrevor, on Jan 5 2008, 12:02 PM, said:

A seal eh.. Wow... How many push-ups and chin-ups can you do in a row?

They said I can wear camo because it makes them look like the military, and they are not. Your place sounds great though.

Just went on vacation so im a little out of shape ;) But before that my two mile time is 13:40 not to bad for 155lbs my pushups i can do 75 in a minute and sit ups i can do 85 a min and pull ups only like 15 consecutively but its not that bad im working on it i have a lot of weight to pull. Yeah my place is pretty cool i like it alot because we arnt just learning about things we go out and do it

Tippman owners group #35

#15 User is offline   SpudCrushr 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 January 2008 - 06:01 PM

View PostSniper Hunter19, on Jan 5 2008, 08:59 PM, said:

usually having someone hug the patient until he/she is warm is better because it uses natural body heat and warms the patient slowly to natural internal heat. wrapping them up too much can also be a problem they need to be able to let their bodys breath and not make them sweat.

Yes i agree about the scouts i was in the scouts and it was pretty fun but there was such a lack of maturity that i couldnt take it and my thoughts came to life when they were caught using lots of profanity on there gameboy ds chat things. people say u learn how to really make smart decisions in scouts and i think i learned more from other scouts mistakes than my own

Also being a seal i think has more to do with attitude than physical limits. being strong is important but not as important as a good brain and good attitude

lol there is only one thing better that learning from your own mistakes...learning from others messing up. :)

You are right about the seals. You can be the most fit person there, but if you are not able to take the mental stress, you WILL fail. Actually, most of the SEAL training is more mentally challanging then physically.

View Posttrevor, on Jan 6 2008, 09:43 AM, said:

Just went on vacation so im a little out of shape ;) But before that my two mile time is 13:40 not to bad for 155lbs my pushups i can do 75 in a minute and sit ups i can do 85 a min and pull ups only like 15 consecutively but its not that bad im working on it i have a lot of weight to pull. Yeah my place is pretty cool i like it alot because we arnt just learning about things we go out and do it

Nice! How far are you from New Cumberland?

This post has been edited by SpudCrushr: 06 January 2008 - 06:03 PM

Posted Image

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users