• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Deadlywind vs Stiffi difference?

#1 User is offline   Locknpump 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 February 2011 - 05:52 PM

Whats the difference between the two that allows deadlywind o be slightly cheaper? And is one better than the other quality-wise?

#2 User is offline   Eskimo 

• Igloo Member #1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mime

Posted 13 February 2011 - 06:20 PM

Deadly winds only work with freak inserts.
uhh Stiffi are most expensive Becuase:

help people?

#3 User is offline   Locknpump 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 13 February 2011 - 06:25 PM

I thought there me a reason due to stiffi's barrels being more advanced in how they are made or something....but i dunno

#4 User is offline   maniacmechanic 

• maniacmechanic
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MANIAC MECHANIC

Posted 13 February 2011 - 06:25 PM

I've allways thought DW was superior to Stiffi just due the fact DW uses inserts , I've owned a DW & looked through a few Stiffi's , I think the DW finish ( internally ) is better
Hank Emery aka maniacmechanic
Team MIXXED BREED
port st. lucie fla originally from West (BG) Virginia
ALL I own are MAG'S , AKA's & a Pump or 2

#5 User is offline   Locknpump 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 13 February 2011 - 06:26 PM

yea I thought the inserts were cool too...but stiffi has a barrel kit as well, and you can get a barrel made to a specific bore as well..

#6 User is offline   Eskimo 

• Igloo Member #1
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 February 2011 - 06:45 PM

Yea but a stiffi switch kit runs 200$

a Deadly wind barrel plus a few inserts is like half.
the best stiffi IMO is the MF barrel at 69.99

This post has been edited by Eskimo: 13 February 2011 - 06:46 PM

#7 User is offline   Eskimo 

• Igloo Member #1
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 February 2011 - 06:55 PM

personally im Just got my phantom and my Tac-one barrel freak bored so if I can sell off my Deathstix kit, i'd use the money to pick up a deadly wind as i could just use the freak inserts on all barrels.

Edit: Why didnt I edit? asking for a merge if possible lol.

This post has been edited by Eskimo: 13 February 2011 - 06:56 PM

#8 User is offline   Krazy8 

• User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Krazy8

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:50 AM

Both work great.

Stiffi has a high price tag due to name...honestly. They were the first and for a good long time the best in CF barrels.

The Deadly Wind is very good. I choose it because I could use the 9 different sizes of Freak inserts I already owned in it. I have never had a problem with the Freak inserts or barrel system so it was a good change to move over to a lighter barrel for me.

If I was going to replace my kits I would seriously look at buying four different sized MF barrels and call it good.

But I have no need to replace my DW or my Shift kit...so the MF is out of the question.

In my opinion botht he DW and the Stiffi will give the owner top notch performance. Both will make you happy.

The Classic Stiffi weighs in at 53 grams.
The Deadly Wind with a .689 Freak insert steps on the scale at 70 grams.

I do not know the weight of a MF barrel, but seeing as how they have no metal on them at all I would expect them to pull around 35 grams.

Some of the older Stiffi barrels had trouble with fiber swabs abrading the interior finish over time. Caused the resin to get rough and just ruined the barrel. At the release time of the DW barrel it was a pretty big deal they played on having the DW not effected by the swabs.
Since then Stiffi has made changes and it is no longer a big deal but they still recomend a rubber pull through or stick squeegie for the best performance on cleaning the barrel after a break. ANd they are right, swaps just kind smear the paint around and remove a goods portion leaving a nice fine film in the barrel. Rubber stick and pull troughs are the best option for cleaning a break.

I like both...I own a DW and a Stiffi. Buy what you can afford and like the looks of most!

#9 User is offline   Pirate 

• I aim to misbehave.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:PirateCaptain

Posted 14 February 2011 - 06:04 PM

The Stiffi MF Barrel is an amazing choice for an aftermarket barrel, Carbon Fiber or no. It weighs next to nothing (I don't have a scale that would even pick up it's weight, or I'd check it). They thickened the Carbon Fiber a bit due to the lack of metal, which makes it even stronger.
I don't really see the point in needing more than 3 inserts these days. With paint being so small, a .683 is all I need. Some paints are a little under bored (I had some .685), and some is a little over bored (Commonly seeing .681 and below paint now). That .002-.004 really doesn't do much, at least not in my experience.

Plus, the MF has a 5" control bore. I don't know what the length of the Freak insert is, but it's not more than that.

My job is to be an asshole. I excel at the position.
We put our glass to the sky and lift up. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya. So raise a pint for the people that aren't with us. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya...
Austin Michelle Cloyd, Forever in my heart. We love you, Ayesha! Rest in Peace Tyler Hackett
Rest in Peace, Dave Brockie! Cam Cam #83

#10 User is offline   Locknpump 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:00 PM

so other than weight, what makes these CF barrels stand apart from regular barrels in a noticable way?

#11 User is offline   Krazy8 

• User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:16 PM

Friction.

The next best thing to a CF barrel for the least amount of resistance on the gelatin shell of a paintball is brass.
Brass be heavy...CF be light. Aluminum is right in the middel.

Honestly most new barrel kits offer nearly the exact same performance nowadays. My Shift kit shoots just as well as my Deadly Wind which shoots just as well as my Match Stik, or my Hammer Head MoFo, or my Stiffi.

Honestly what do you want from your barrel.
Stiffi MF is going to be absolutly the lightest possible barrel on the market.
Deadly Wind is going to offer the single largest range of bore sizes. The Freak kit is huge if you want to buy all the inserts.
My Shift Kit, is pretty and matches my Clone....why would I not use it?

The one down fall of buying a Stiffi is learnign to aim your gun all over again! For a few days you will consistantly overshoot your target. I had people tell me it is not true....but I noticed it when I made the switch. Of course this was back befor really light weight hit its prime marketing peak...so most barrels were triple and quadruple the weight of a Stiffi.

You need to ask yourself what you want. Then balance your desires with cost and see what is left standing...then look at things like cosmetics and fluff.

#12 User is offline   Locknpump 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 15 February 2011 - 09:50 AM

I was more concerned with sound rather than weight, from your post it seems like there really isnt too much of a difference sound wise as much as friction wise.

#13 User is offline   Krazy8 

• User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 February 2011 - 10:22 AM

Stiffi was a much quieter option...five years ago. Now high quality barrels offer a very reduced sound signature.

Honestly, Hammer Head has the down range sound thing looked up with there reverse ported muzzel. That thing sounds like a conon to the shooter...the target however is trying to figure out where the shots are coming from!

Otherwise the sound from the DW, Stiffi and my Shift are all about the same. Put any of those on a Droid and typically beyond 40 feet no body hears you shoot!

#14 User is offline   Locknpump 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 15 February 2011 - 03:32 PM

wow I just realized what you mean..I put on my 12'' barrel from the stock 2005 prostock (original barrel for my marker) after using my JJ 16 inch for about a month, and it sounded like a cannon :blink: then I put the JJ back on and it totally killed its sound again.

#15 User is offline   Eskimo 

• Igloo Member #1
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 February 2011 - 07:45 PM

carbon fiber barrels have the nice ability to just sound awesome, for some reason ( maybe its due to microscopic gaps in the weave which act like sound baffles or small porting) they just sound quieter.

Now if we can get a carbon fiber barrel with those little track's like the phantom barrels by the porting, I beleive it will be one of the most quiet on the market for each respective length

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users